Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I sure hope Gold's flaps become less noticeable in future fights. He was supposed to look like a badass destroying those mooks, I guess, but I couldn't help but look more at the flaps bouncing around behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm not a fan of Gold's look at all. He's just a mess all around, which is a shame since I've grown to like the design of the rest of the team. On the bright side I was shocking to see they managed to get Quentin Tarantino tin to direct an episode.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Am I the only one who's noticed that Pink's combination of short arms and a large head makes the dance at the end ridiculous? The suit, not Amy, I crack up every single time. She's trying so hard to get her arms above her head.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I thought I'd stopped buying Figuarts but I just had to get Tyranno and Dragon Rangers. Cursed MMPR childhood nostalgia :negative:

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 26, 2013

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

I thought I'd stopped buying Figuarts but I just had to get Tyranno and Dragon Rangers. Cursed MMPR childhood nostalgia :negative:

If you just ordered them off AmiAmi, I'm right there with you. Bluefin might have the MMPR 20th Anniversary boxes for them, but for about $25 plus shipping at AmiAmi, it's a lot cheaper than Bluefin.

And of course Bandai had to go and announce ANOTHER Ranger Key set. Complete Selection, containing the 6 Metal Hero keys the Gokaigers use in Super Hero Taisen Z (but no Gavan... bastards), plus a secret key from Kakuranger and Abaranger each, which are likely AbarePink and Ninjaman. For 10,500yen. For 8 keys. Curse my being a completionist.

Oh, and if that wasn't bad enough, a Complete Selection Accel Driver with diecast and such for something like 11,000 yen in December too.

My name is OZC, and I'm addicted to toku toys.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

OZC posted:

If you just ordered them off AmiAmi, I'm right there with you. Bluefin might have the MMPR 20th Anniversary boxes for them, but for about $25 plus shipping at AmiAmi, it's a lot cheaper than Bluefin.

Yeah, Ami preorders. I'm not American, so Bluefin are really only any use to me when they reissue stuff that's no longer available from Japanese release and it's something I want bad enough to pay the premium (like the couple of DBZ Figuarts I got via them). Otherwise I'm just happy to grab the initial JP releases.

My toku toy collecting was always pretty restrained (Figuarts of main Riders and Reds/maybe a Sixth if I prefered them and the occasional changer (really only the Decadriver)) but I cut back even from that after the Akibarangers (who I made an exception for and got the whole team)/Red Buster because I didn't really have the space for any more and I figured the money was better spent elsewhere, but I just couldn't resist these two. I'll probably cave for Kiba Ranger too if he gets a general release.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
From my understanding, Kiba is supposed to be a Toei Hero Net or Premium Bandai exclusive. I want to import it though instead of getting a Bluefin version since Bluefin stripped the Akiba extras from Bouken Red, Deka Red, and Red Hawk, and Kiba seems to include the Akiba replacement chest emblem which I'd like.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Box of Bunnies posted:

I hope they come with the Murrika accessories :patriot:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

OZC posted:

And of course Bandai had to go and announce ANOTHER Ranger Key set. Complete Selection, containing the 6 Metal Hero keys the Gokaigers use in Super Hero Taisen Z (but no Gavan... bastards), plus a secret key from Kakuranger and Abaranger each, which are likely AbarePink and Ninjaman. For 10,500yen. For 8 keys. Curse my being a completionist.

Oh, and if that wasn't bad enough, a Complete Selection Accel Driver with diecast and such for something like 11,000 yen in December too.

My name is OZC, and I'm addicted to toku toys.

If the new Complete Selection is a set with another complete set of Ranger Keys in addition to the Metal Hero keys and the Kaku/Abaranger Bonus Keys, I'll gladly take that duplicate GekiViolet key off your hands. :haw:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I wish I had the disposable income to be a completionist...I seriously think ranger keys are the coolest things ever, but seeing as my wife and I just got married and moved out, and my student loans are coming due, it's gonna be a couple years before I can afford to drop any kind of money into plastic collectables.

I do not hold much hope for finding affordable ranger key sets 4 or 5 years from now, if other toku merch prices/availability is any indication.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OZC posted:

Akiba Keys....please...It's all I ask, Bandai. :negative:

In other news, a recent Battride War trailer that has't been posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvsHTWnJBGQ

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 26, 2013

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Battride will probably be terrible, but I just know I'm going to wind up getting it anyway.

And I'm very glad there is a helicopter enemy that exists solely so you can drive your motorcycle into it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

Finally pulled my finger out and preordered this at AmiAmi this morning. Looks like a decent Dynasty Warriors clone featuring Riders.

With Accel being confirmed as playable in the most recent Dengeki update I can only hope for Birth. CUTTAH WINGing through armies of grunts would be so satisfying.

Raizor posted:

Battride will probably be terrible, but I just know I'm going to wind up getting it anyway.

Eh, I think it'll be a pretty standard, okay licensed game that's pretty clearly a riff on another series and doesn't really excell at anything in particular. It won't rock any worlds but I think it'll be servicable as a "beat lots of dudes up as a Kamen Rider on PS3" title.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 26, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My opinion on Battride is that it'll be like a crossover movie. It's not something you watch because it's really great, you're only watching it to see a bunch of characters kick butt in a fantastic spectacle. Take a Sentai VS. movie. I couldn't give a poo poo about how you justify using the Edo set again, but when both teams do their roll call all together, there's nothing better.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

My opinion on Battride is that it'll be like a crossover movie. It's not something you watch because it's really great, you're only watching it to see a bunch of characters kick butt in a fantastic spectacle. Take a Sentai VS. movie. I couldn't give a poo poo about how you justify using the Edo set again, but when both teams do their roll call all together, there's nothing better.
This is the absolute truth right here. Those roll calls are the heart and soul of VS Movies. Riders don't have roll calls, but they have poses and enough signature flashiness to justify bringing them all together to raise hell through crowds of mooks.

I can only hope that I will be able to rider kick through enough Shocker grunts at once to cause such a mass of shrieking that it lags the system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just watched a youtube video of all the Sentai "handoff" scenes from the end of each season, and suddenly realized that I'd really like to see the pirate theme revisited and played straight, instead of being the "base" theme in a anniversary/omega team up season.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Volfogg posted:

If the new Complete Selection is a set with another complete set of Ranger Keys in addition to the Metal Hero keys and the Kaku/Abaranger Bonus Keys, I'll gladly take that duplicate GekiViolet key off your hands. :haw:

Unfortunately, it's not really a "complete" set. I think they are calling it that because they already used the Movie Edition name, and those two other keys aren't movie related, but because they are putting them in this set, they can't call it the Metal Hero edition. I know for a fact that it's not a full set of all the keys, because 10k yen for 200+ keys is far too low for that many keys. I mean, I paid something like 16k yen for the Movie Edition set, and that's 16 keys.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Just watched a youtube video of all the Sentai "handoff" scenes from the end of each season, and suddenly realized that I'd really like to see the pirate theme revisited and played straight, instead of being the "base" theme in a anniversary/omega team up season.
I'll agree with this too. There were rumors going around before that the next Kamen Rider was going with a "Key" motif, and people got all heated over it copying Gokaiger. But Gokaiger only used keys, it didn't have a "Key" theme, so that was waved off by more sensible people, since Riders tend to make more use of their themes. I think the Gokaigers did well with being pirates, but I wouldn't mind another Pirate series with the emphasis on the pirates rather than on the nostalgia and transformations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Watching episode 3 of Garo. Still can't get over Gai not being the silly fanboy and instead being a studly playboy. That said, him taking interest in a conversation at the mention of "naked chick" is pretty consistent with his Gokai Silver attitude.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just finished Akibaranger 3.

Next week is waifu armor.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
We have threads for both of those shows guys.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah right, forgot.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Waffleman_ posted:

Akiba Keys....please...It's all I ask, Bandai. :negative:

Maybe if the Gokaiger get replaced by Akibaranger later in Akibaranger Season 2...
Oh man, think of how pissed Gai would be if he lost his official sentai position to the Akibarangers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, Akibaranger got me in the mood to watch some of those old show. I am currently watching Dairanger, and it's fun.

Afterwards I think I should watch some Kamen Raider or Ultraman. I have never seen any of either of these shows before.
Can you recommend a series I should start with?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

tonberrytoby posted:

So, Akibaranger got me in the mood to watch some of those old show. I am currently watching Dairanger, and it's fun.

Afterwards I think I should watch some Kamen Raider or Ultraman. I have never seen any of either of these shows before.
For Kamen Rider:
W or OOO's. W is the absolute easiest series to get into, but it's only really goes down from there.
OOO's is a little bit like W, but isn't AS great and you can easily enjoy more series before spoiling yourself with W.
Kabuto is good because it has so many Riders they might as well be a sentai team, fighting is great and the main two characters are memorable.
Agito/Kuuga are much in the same vein, they're both drama oriented so have slow starts.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

tonberrytoby posted:

Watch Ultraman Moebius.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

You can't really go wrong with the original Ultraman or Ultraseven. It is 60s sci-fi, though so there are some good stories so long as you don't mind everything being shot on a shoestring budget.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Every time someone recommends Kabuto as a starting Rider show I can't help but feel the need to make sure the person being recommended stuff knows that the actual plot was a complete nightmare, and not at all indicative of the average Rider show plot. If you care about that sort of thing.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nightmare as in scary or crazy or bad?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Bad. We go over this basically every time it comes up, Flameingblack is basically the only person crazy enough to stick up for that atrocity. The movie's neat though, and non-canon so you can just watch it to get the good part of the show (the suits fighting) without the bad (everything else). Kind of like 555 that way.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I feel like recommending Kabuto now would be painting a really inaccurate picture given what formula they've settled into.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

better discount literally everything that happens before Den-O I guess!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah good point, there's a ton of little eras when it comes to Sentai and Rider. If it's the multiple rider days, Kabuto probably would be your best bet.

For Showa, Stronger or maybe Skyrider?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Justin_Brett posted:

For Showa, Stronger or maybe Skyrider?

Neither are subbed completely, though Stronger comes close.

I'd say V3 or BLACK are your best bets for Showa riders.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Black is a great show in general, I think, but it's not a good rep for the Showa Era. Or any era. It's kind of weird like that. Stronger is pretty fantastic, though of the ones that are fully subbed, V3 is the best, provided you can get to Doktor G. The man is glorious and is what every Kamen RAAAAAAAAAAIDAH villain should ever be.

As for Ultraman, yeah. The original or Seven are fantastic, though UltraSeven is really not a good thing to get a feel for other Ultra shows. While I think Seven had the better plots and effects and whatever, it was not an Ultraman series in the traditional way and might give the wrong impression. The original Ultraman, or what little of Return of Ultraman, is fantastic in that regard though. Mebius is also amazing. Tiga is...pretty slow, honestly. Like, the action is slow and the characters are just sort of oddly dull. But it's not a bad show.

Stay the gently caress away from Cosmos and Nexus for two entirely different reasons. One will make you so depressed you'll want to kill yourself, and the other will just make you want to kill yourself. .....possibly due to the lovely dub.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

Bad. We go over this basically every time it comes up, Flameingblack is basically the only person crazy enough to stick up for that atrocity. The movie's neat though, and non-canon so you can just watch it to get the good part of the show (the suits fighting) without the bad (everything else). Kind of like 555 that way.
/m/ recommends it a majority of the time too :colbert:

The main character (Hint: It's Kagami) is a really great character, and Tendou's cocky-but-backs-it-up attitude as the main rider is really fun to watch as well. It's really frustrating when you have no idea what Tendou is doing until it's long past done, and the plot falls apart but the characters in Kabuto are top notch. More than I can say about a lot of other rider shows. Agito is still one of my favorites, but there's not much to say about Shouichi and I like OOO's a hell of a lot but there's literally nothing to say about Eiji. Kabuto is character driven over plot and it works for me, every single one of the riders has a character that develops incredibly well for a show thats plot goes on an acid trip half-way through.

If you don't want to watch Kabuto, basically Half the cast turns out to be the "enemies" in disguise, although confused and unaware they are. This includes Rider Sasword and the lead female, who Kagami and Tendou try and protect the whole series

Justin_Brett posted:

I feel like recommending Kabuto now would be painting a really inaccurate picture given what formula they've settled into.
Everything post-Decade is radically different than pre-Decade (Except Den-O), and everything Showa is pretty different from most things in the Hesei era, Agito & Kuuga withdrawn.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 27, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kagami IS great, but Tendou is the one that HAS to kill all the enemies. (Even when Drake has his tearful showdown and the culmination of his story, it's still Tendou who finishes her off)

Another thing that bugged me is all the food. Every non-fighting scene (and even some with) has to involve food in some way. It's ridiculous. Two characters having a chat/exposition? Damned be sure that they're eating during it. I don't even know why it bugged me that much, but once I noticed it a couple of episodes in it really started to grate on me.

AzraelNewtype posted:

The 555 movie is horrible, though. Even the suits fighting, which is way better in Kabuto, isn't worth it. The only recommendation I can give for it is to skip it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AzraelNewtype posted:

Kabuto owns, the movie is canon and clearly meant to be watched between episodes 32 and 32 of the show. Yes the suits and the battles own, but so does the plot, the characters and the music.

Flameingblack posted:

The main character (Hint: It's Kagami) is a really great character

This is the dumbest loving idea, I don't understand why so many people believe it. Tendou's actions drive the plot, his character arc(Tendou has a character arc, unlike Kagami's character inclined line) underlies the whole show and informs it's themes, his tragic past is a massive, integral part of the plot, many of the other characters serve as reflections on him, the whole show is built around Tendou.

Potsticker posted:

Another thing that bugged me is all the food. Every non-fighting scene (and even some with) has to involve food in some way. It's ridiculous. Two characters having a chat/exposition? Damned be sure that they're eating during it. I don't even know why it bugged me that much, but once I noticed it a couple of episodes in it really started to grate on me.

Yeah, food is the major motif of the show. It's not like, an accident or something.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, food is the major motif of the show. It's not like, an accident or something.

All I was saying was that it was really annoying to me. Perhaps it is only an outlet for my frustrations with the rest of the show. v:confused:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

boom boom boom posted:

Kabuto owns, the movie is canon and clearly meant to be watched between episodes 32 and 32 of the show.

We've been over this, you're dead wrong. The movie is a complete contradiction, and in fact much more interesting than the TV series version of events.

Flameingblack posted:

/m/ recommends it a majority of the time too :colbert:

/m/ is a loving cesspool of bad taste and filth.

• Locked thread