Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AzraelNewtype posted:

We've been over this, you're dead wrong. The movie is a complete contradiction, and in fact much more interesting than the TV series version of events.

Yeah, it is super interesting, and as I remember, you only have to assume that one line about a traumatic childhood memory is incorrect for it to fit fine. And it clearly is meant to fit between those two episodes based on how it treats one major revelation Tendou and Hiyoru's relationship like it's not a new thing, but dedicates a lot of time to the true power of the Hyper Zecter, which the show then treats like it's not new knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I finished Shikenger a couple weeks ago and i'm gonna do a write up on it, Gokaiger, and Kyoryuger when I stop being lazy.

Starting Ohranger and it's fuckin badass. I love the feel of older Sentai, the grittyness, washed out colors, cool rear end monsters, and how the team doesn't dance and laugh their way through every fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBX posted:

I finished Shikenger a couple weeks ago and i'm gonna do a write up on it, Gokaiger, and Kyoryuger when I stop being lazy.

Starting Ohranger and it's fuckin badass. I love the feel of older Sentai, the grittyness, washed out colors, cool rear end monsters, and how the team doesn't dance and laugh their way through every fight.

From what I understand about Ohranger, be prepared for massive disappointment. :smith:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Is there any reason not to recommend Agito as a starting Rider show? It does the multiple riders thing almost as good as Kabuto (way better if you ask me, but that's neither here nor there) and besides a few references to Kuuga and that one writer's usual antics, the plot was pretty solid.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Some of the most forgettable monsters in modern Rider history? Plot and character set-ups that basically doesn't get repeated from then on making it unrepresentative of anything but itself and Kuuga? Slow-rear end editing?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Son Ryo posted:

Is there any reason not to recommend Agito as a starting Rider show? It does the multiple riders thing almost as good as Kabuto (way better if you ask me, but that's neither here nor there) and besides a few references to Kuuga and that one writer's usual antics, the plot was pretty solid.
It starts off pretty slowly is the only reason you might not want to. If people are into slow-building dramas then it's perfect.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here's something I found recently, english versions of Sentai openings (Some of which actually sound pretty good). Not sure if there are any more but here's what I found:

Carranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL7da4mOTxk

Megaranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyGO7nXWKA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=2

Gingaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGmHqLlQrA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=1

GoGoV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpw2-OPnbU&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=3

Timeranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_boO281nE

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 28, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flameingblack posted:

/m/ recommends it a majority of the time too :colbert:

The main character (Hint: It's Kagami) is a really great character, and Tendou's cocky-but-backs-it-up attitude as the main rider is really fun to watch as well. It's really frustrating when you have no idea what Tendou is doing until it's long past done, and the plot falls apart but the characters in Kabuto are top notch. More than I can say about a lot of other rider shows. Agito is still one of my favorites, but there's not much to say about Shouichi and I like OOO's a hell of a lot but there's literally nothing to say about Eiji. Kabuto is character driven over plot and it works for me, every single one of the riders has a character that develops incredibly well for a show thats plot goes on an acid trip half-way through.

If you don't want to watch Kabuto, basically Half the cast turns out to be the "enemies" in disguise, although confused and unaware they are. This includes Rider Sasword and the lead female, who Kagami and Tendou try and protect the whole series
Everything post-Decade is radically different than pre-Decade (Except Den-O), and everything Showa is pretty different from most things in the Hesei era, Agito & Kuuga withdrawn.

The only good thing I can say about Kabuto is that Kabuto's fights are basically the smuggest fights ever caught on film. "Just gonna stand here, let you throw a punch or two, don't even give a gently caress BAM you're dead." I love that so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Here's something I found recently, english versions of Sentai openings (Some of which actually sound pretty good). Not sure if there are anymore but here's what I found:

Carranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL7da4mOTxk

Megaranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyGO7nXWKA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=2

Gingaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGmHqLlQrA&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=1

GoGoV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpw2-OPnbU&list=PLC702DC00630AFB08&index=3

Timeranger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj_boO281nE

I don't know about the others but the English Carranger OP (I don't know if it's that particular one) actually shows up in an episode of the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about the others but the English Carranger OP (I don't know if it's that particular one) actually shows up in an episode of the show.

What episode was that? I'm pretty sure the Megaranger OP is from Megaranger Vs Carranger and apparently the Gingaman theme shows up in episode 43 of its respective series. Not sure about the GoGoV or Timeranger ones though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 27, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

What episode was that? I'm pretty sure the Megaranger OP is from Megaranger Vs Carranger and apparently the Gingaman theme shows up in episode 43 of its respective series. Not sure about the GoGoV or Timeranger ones though.

I can't remember. It just shows up during one of the episodes when they do the "music cues up, Carranger starts kicking rear end" thing only they use the English version instead of the Japanese one.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

GoGoV also showed up in its series, Episode 39 I believe. Timeranger likely showed up in the movie but I forget.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, I regret not watching The Hero Yoshihiko sooner. Are you watching it? No? Then go do it, idiot, it's super-funny.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, I regret not watching The Hero Yoshihiko sooner. Are you watching it? No? Then go do it, idiot, it's super-funny.

*checks OP*

Whoops. :ohdear:

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
Kuuga is also a great show, but I wouldn't recommend it as your first Rider. It'll leave you annoyed at other seasons for stuff like Kuuga having competent police force actually helping the Rider vs being useless in most seasons.

I started with Fourze myself, but W or OOO would also be my recommendation. W has the best writing I've seen with a toku, and OOO continues to be my favorite Rider. I would say OOO doesn't feel slow watching it all at once, and that it's a season I benefited from watching after the fact and not weekly.

From how things are shaping up Wizard, the current season, I think will be in a similar boat. So while I am enjoying watching it as it comes out, and it's been a fun season so far, you might just wait to check it out once the season is over.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, information has been released about the Kyoryu/Wizard double feature, and...

quote:

Kyoryuger movie will be a musical. Making this history’s first full Super Sentai musical.

:syoon:

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

quote:

Kyoryuger movie will be a musical. Making this history’s first full Super Sentai musical.

:stonk:

ETA on Nossan twisting the lyrics of Singing in the Rain with excessive Old Man Jokes?

quote:

Two castanet rings of Wizard and KyoryuRed’s faces will be given as advance booking presents.

...now that's just silly (and they look silly too, of course). Just as long as they don't work with the Wizard Driver. Oh, who am I kidding, they're probably going to work with it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

quote:

Kyoryuger movie will be a musical.

There are no words for how much this excites me.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

quote:

The first sentai movie I've been excited for since ever.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm interested in seeing some Ultraman, but I have some fairly strict criteria:
  • It should have a special effects budget higher than old Doctor Who episodes. (I acknowledge that cheesiness is part of the charm of these kinds of shows, but I do like my blinking lights.)
  • It should be relatively accessible to someone who only knows a little about Ultraman. (Which means not one of those ones where, like, seven different iterations of the franchise show up and fight.)
  • It should have good subtitles. (I've heard bad things about TV Nihon from over in the Game Center CX thread.)
I recognize that there may not be something that fits all of these categories; please do the best you can, and note how it falls outside them. I also have a slight bias toward movies, but a series that meets the criteria works too.

Anyone care to help someone who has the urge to see some of these special effects with some plot attached?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pIdq2VAofw

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm interested in seeing some Ultraman, but I have some fairly strict criteria:
  • It should have a special effects budget higher than old Doctor Who episodes. (I acknowledge that cheesiness is part of the charm of these kinds of shows, but I do like my blinking lights.)
  • It should be relatively accessible to someone who only knows a little about Ultraman. (Which means not one of those ones where, like, seven different iterations of the franchise show up and fight.)
  • It should have good subtitles. (I've heard bad things about TV Nihon from over in the Game Center CX thread.)
I recognize that there may not be something that fits all of these categories; please do the best you can, and note how it falls outside them. I also have a slight bias toward movies, but a series that meets the criteria works too.

Anyone care to help someone who has the urge to see some of these special effects with some plot attached?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pIdq2VAofw

The first Ultraman series already has you covered, tsuburaya had the best toku sfx of the showa era by far. The SFX hold up moderately well to this day. Being the first Ultraman also covers your second point. There's an "official" release with moderately acceptable subs that goes for about 5 bucks on amazon.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Kyoryu Gold. :allears: Out of suit, he was just about the opposite of what I expected, and I'm loving it.

Uznare posted:

The first Ultraman series already has you covered, tsuburaya had the best toku sfx of the showa era by far. The SFX hold up moderately well to this day. Being the first Ultraman also covers your second point. There's an "official" release with moderately acceptable subs that goes for about 5 bucks on amazon.

I'd like to add, I've only watched a few Ultraman series, but from what I've seen so far, they all had a pretty good budget for special effects. The first one I watched was Ultraman Moebius, and despite having tons of references and cameos to past shows, I never felt lost or confused. I was actually impressed that the original actors still show up once in a while, which is kind of a change from some actors who never want to ever hear about their toku roles ever (or so it seems to me).

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Daler Mehndi posted:

Kyoryu Gold. :allears: Out of suit, he was just about the opposite of what I expected, and I'm loving it.

That episode probably had my favorite Nossan moment yet. God I love that goofball.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Going by that criteria, the original Ultraman and UltraSeven are both great choices, with the caveat that Ultraman is more of a fantasy series focused on generally having fun adventures with giant monsters, while Seven is more serious and sci-fi with alien plots. Ultraman Tiga is also a decent one to suggest, the action is a bit slower than I prefer and the characters are kind of bland, but it has some great monsters and it's a reboot of the franchise meaning it has no ties to the past. Ultraman Cosmos I would not recommend, myself, for numerous reasons. Nexus I would say hold off on until you've seen a different Ultra show, as it's fantastic but it also is not a typical Ultraman series by a long shot.

Ultraman Max is pretty good, though it's even more episodic than the others which is quite a feat. There's effectively almost no continuity between each episode, two parters aside, and it's almost more like an anthology series set around stock heroes. Ultraman Mebius is filled with lots of nods and such to the past, but never to its detriment. You absolutely don't have to see the past series to enjoy Mebius as they're pretty easy on the newcomers. Ultraman Neos I'd hesitate to suggest, it's plot isn't as good as a lot of others and it suffered a loss in budget thanks to its brother series, UltraSeven Evolution. Which I also wouldn't suggest, but that's because it's the last 5 'episodes' of the UltraSeven sequel that started in 94, went on to 98, 99, and then finished off with Evolution. So it, um, is a bit continuity heavy.

The other UltraSeven series, because UltraSeven apparently is the favorite of the Ultramen for unknown reasons, UltraSeven X is pretty good, though it also doesn't focus on the giant monster side of things all that much. It's continuity light though, and has some fun sci-fi adventures. The sub for it, by TV Nihon, is questionable in places but it shouldn't obscure TOO much. I think that's it for the fully subbed Ultramen. Well there are also the movies, which are all generally subbed, including most/all of the ones starring Ultraman Zero, Seven's son.

My personal favorite Ultraman would be Seven himself, though I still don't know why he's so heavily favored of the bunch. I heartily endorse his series, as the effects are pretty great for its time. Hell I'd say Seven's effects look better than 80s Doctor Who, despite being made in the 60s.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Prepare your bones!"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The Kyoryugers are somehow having more fun than the Gokaigers. Didn't think that was possible.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Holy crap, that episode.

Was it just me, or was Gold's fight scene REALLY well done? The effects and the choreography for this episode were just...wow. Completely blew me away.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Thanks for the suggestions! What about the movies? Any you'd particularly recommend, given my earlier criteria?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That's real?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The kanji looks a lot more like "Power Rangers" than "Powerful Rangers" to me. Who translated that, TV-N? But yes, it at least says Power Rangers so it's probably true

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

RBX posted:

That's real?

I would imagine so. Red and Green show up this week. As in MMPR. Someone posted a preview shot a page or two back.

EDIT: Unless you meant accurate then yeah, looks like TVN.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 30, 2013

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Flameingblack posted:

The kanji looks a lot more like "Power Rangers" than "Powerful Rangers" to me. Who translated that, TV-N? But yes, it at least says Power Rangers so it's probably true

It's a bit hard to make out because of the image quality, but the kana says パワフル (pawaafuru) so yeah, it was meant to be Powerful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FredMSloniker posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! What about the movies? Any you'd particularly recommend, given my earlier criteria?

Ultraman the Next definitely. It's the one movie that is not connected to anything else, at least on the surface. It's actually the prequel to Ultraman Nexus, but you'd never know unless you got pretty far into Nexus.

The other movies are hard to recommend, simply because they all are rooted in the history of the franchise or the series. Like Ultraman Mebius' movie, which actually takes place in canon, around the 20s I think. The Superior 8 Ultramen is more the former, stepped in the history of the thing, and it's not as kind to newcomers as Mebius itself is. Still a pretty fantastic movie though. Ultra Galaxy Neo The Movie would be alright enough if you just accept there's a dude who can control monsters and not ask too much more, though it requires a basic understanding of who Ultraman, Seven, Ultra Father, Mother, Leo, King, and Dyna are, as they're the main players in the plot, such as it is. The sequels to it, or at least the one as I haven't seen the third, Saga, is pretty newcomer friendly though, barring the fact that it's a sequel.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

It's a bit hard to make out because of the image quality, but the kana says パワフル (pawaafuru) so yeah, it was meant to be Powerful.
That makes it look like the next arc of Akibaranger is going to have Super Sentai completely erased and Power Rangers (Because of copyright issues, Powerful Rangers) as the only show around.

Which is why Tommy and Jason are there :v:

Rangerboard's wet dream. (Linkara still won't watch it)

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
The preview shot, for those who missed it (posted in the Akibaranger separate thread):

BoutrosBoutros posted:

So I guess we're going to see some American rangers coming up soon.
That episode should be this weeks episode, but it wont be translated until next week probably so stay on your seats.

For content more related to this thread:
Has anyone else watched Carranger? I thought it was untranslated, but then I learned from the OP that Haroranger has been translating it (though at a glacial pace, they are at ~20 episodes). It's loving great, it's a self parody of Sentai as Super Sentai was about to be cancelled at the time (more knowledgeable people feel free to correct me/add more info), and it actually managed to revive the franchise. It's like a proto-Akibaranger, even having a proto Malshina. Also, mentions of Samba in the Ending theme, an omen for Kyoryuger? Some choice pictures from the first episodes:

They arrive on scene on these really low ridiculous go-karts. It still makes me laugh.

First MoTW. Two-feet tall pompadour. Par for the course.

The whole team hitch-hiking.

The show even almost makes me stand whatever the gently caress Dappu is supposed to be.
Something else I've noticed is that you can really tell that there are probably men inside the Yellow/Pink Ranger suits. Was this a thing with older Sentai? Or is it just part of the parody?

I wonder how did Saban manage to adapt it to PR Turbo? I don't remember anything from that series. Did Saban in general translate the episodes they adapted to know what they were working with, or did they just cut and paste to suit their needs?

TL;DR: If you are bored between Akibaranger episodes, come watch Carranger with me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure Turbo is considered one of the worst if not the worst season of Power Rangers, mostly because the blue ranger is a little kid who magically becomes adult sized when he transforms.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Markovnikov posted:

Something else I've noticed is that you can really tell that there are probably men inside the Yellow/Pink Ranger suits. Was this a thing with older Sentai? Or is it just part of the parody?

Behold, Miss America's Glorious Girth. :getin:

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Markovnikov posted:

The preview shot, for those who missed it (posted in the Akibaranger separate thread):

That episode should be this weeks episode, but it wont be translated until next week probably so stay on your seats.

For content more related to this thread:
Has anyone else watched Carranger? I thought it was untranslated, but then I learned from the OP that Haroranger has been translating it (though at a glacial pace, they are at ~20 episodes). It's loving great, it's a self parody of Sentai as Super Sentai was about to be cancelled at the time (more knowledgeable people feel free to correct me/add more info), and it actually managed to revive the franchise. It's like a proto-Akibaranger, even having a proto Malshina. Also, mentions of Samba in the Ending theme, an omen for Kyoryuger? Some choice pictures from the first episodes:

They arrive on scene on these really low ridiculous go-karts. It still makes me laugh.

First MoTW. Two-feet tall pompadour. Par for the course.

The whole team hitch-hiking.

The show even almost makes me stand whatever the gently caress Dappu is supposed to be.

I wonder how did Saban manage to adapt it to PR Turbo? I don't remember anything from that series. Did Saban in general translate the episodes they adapted to know what they were working with, or did they just cut and paste to suit their needs?

TL;DR: If you are bored between Akibaranger episodes, come watch Carranger with me.

Every yellow ranger, male or female, has been played by [url=http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Yuichi_Hachisuka]one dude.[/url]

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Saban had a terrible time adapting Turbo hence its shittyness. Power Rangers was serious business and here they are suck with a comedy series. Plus they had to switch the entire cast it was so bad. That's why Space was gonna be the last series because Turbo was so bad. Carranger saved sentai, Turbo almost killed Power Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Let's be fair, it wasn't Carrangers fault that Saban decided blue needed to be the most obnoxious kid ever until Phantom Menace happened.

• Locked thread