Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Attack on Angel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XCZoRI0YFw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

What's that from?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

ShardPhoenix posted:

What's that from?

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Goddamn, we actually have real life tablet computers as envisioned in 1969.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

Huh, I've seen that but I didn't remember that scene. Probably because the tablet computer made it look too modern!

Even crazier is this sci-fi story from 1909 which portrays something resembling the internet and hikikomori-esque behaviour.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 4, 2013

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, 2001 was actually incredibly realistic and clever in its prediction of future technology, and the only thing it really got wrong there was the collapse of the Soviet Union and the related death of the space race.

Also, you know, the alien Monolith stuff.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

ONe thing you can never deny - Rebuild is absolutely beautifully done.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Okay so this is probably one of the funniest things I've seen and I think you'd all benefit greatly from watching it.

3.0 spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
That was pretty great, the video's summary description loving destroyed me

Lyer posted:

Finally caught this yesterday and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's simultaneously a very straight forward and a very confusing movie. I think the entire movie just served as setup for the finale, it wasn't really meant to convey any sort of major plot advancement. It really felt like the first half of a bigger story, cut up into digestible parts. I would be very surprised if 4.0 didn't start off immediately after 3.0 ended.

I found it amusing that basically the 11th, 12th, and 13th angels were taken care of rather easily and they just happened to get in the way of the real conflict: humans fighting against each other.

I also dug the fact that you see absolutely no one at Nerv, when it's obvious there are people there; they just don't matter in the grand scope of things.

I thought that the current status of Nerv HQ was a metaphor for the Tower of Babel, interesting read when thought in context of 3.0.

Finally I think we'll never get the answers to why and what exactly happened in the 14 year time skip. A flaw that the characters share is the inability to accept things as they are and move on; just as the audience needs to accept this is the way things are and we will only see what will happen and not what did happen.

This sums up just about everything I feel about 3.0. I really did like it, and where it's going, and the cries I hear of "it's thematically moving away from show" or anything really strongly negative are just incomprehensible to me. I think Anno is doing a great job of progressing things while paying homage-- in short, I think this is a fantastic remake.

That said, this did feel like watching a nice big long episode rather than a movie. So I do think they could've paced things a little better considering how we have to wait so long. I didn't really feel much in terms of momentous climax. It felt like the minor "climax" of a normal TV episode. I could've used an awesome OH poo poo cliffhanger, I guess is what I'm saying. (I know they were hoping to release them sorta back to back so I'm not trippin.)

God 2.0 was so loving momentous and epic.

Maybe on a certain level part of the point is that 3.0 is supposed to be the almost somber interlude, the disorienting head trip for Shinji to set up a balls-to-the-wall finale. I genuinely feel like I won't be able to pass any kind of worthwhile "judgment" on 3.0 until I see 4.0. Anyway great job Anno and team, beers all around.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 4, 2013

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

yellowjournalism posted:

Maybe on a certain level part of the point is that 3.0 is supposed to be the almost somber interlude, the disorienting head trip for Shinji to set up a balls-to-the-wall finale. I genuinely feel like I won't be able to pass any kind of worthwhile "judgment" on 3.0 until I see 4.0. Anyway great job Anno and team, beers all around.
Yeah, I feel like this is kind of a Matrix Reloaded type situation. Let's just hope that this time the payoff is a lot better than Revolutions was.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

yellowjournalism posted:

Quickening is a term also used to describe the later stages of a pregnancy when the baby starts kicking around, which is about what 3 felt like: a little kicking right before the big pay off. Not to mention Unit-13 looks to have been finalized via a C-section:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just got around to watching 3.33. I feel like if they just sat Shinji down and explained to him the whole situation none of that would have happened. Everyone else was somehow MORE childish that Shinji.
"Guys, really, whats going on I have no idea."
"Shut up you brat god just don't do anything. I cant believe what you did ugh."
"What did I do? What happened?"
"God, shut up."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Yeah even though Shinji was screwing up even further I just couldn't help but to root for him at the end because everyone at Wille was just so adamant on being an rear end in a top hat towards him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KoB posted:

Just got around to watching 3.33. I feel like if they just sat Shinji down and explained to him the whole situation none of that would have happened. Everyone else was somehow MORE childish that Shinji.
"God, shut up."

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Yeah even though Shinji was screwing up even further I just couldn't help but to root for him at the end because everyone at Wille was just so adamant on being an rear end in a top hat towards him.

Not denying the childishness or anything but, well... how do you break it to somebody that "Oh, well: You basically committed genocide for the sake of a defective clone, and it didn't even work! But it's not all your fault sort-of. I mean, yeah the world is an even bigger shithole thanks to you, but it's not like you knew what you were doing. So yeah, those are the reasons why everyone's feeling a little bit raw about you" but in an amiable manner?

It's just really really dang hard to get to be that guy/girl.

Also, is Miyuki Sawashiro in every anime I've watched/been watching for the last 6 months? I'm okay with that, though. I dig her voice. :allears:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

With Asuka at least, I think it was a deliberate way of showing that she's not just physically locked at 14 years old, but mentally and emotionally stunted as well.

If you'll indulge the cross-franchise reference, you could probably explain the rest of WILLE as an extension and extrapolation of Gundam's themes of the previous generation being The Enemy and a potential obstacle to the next generation's process of maturation; the current generation (the EVA pilots) is being prevented from growing up because the previous one (WILLE, NERV) will not let them learn from mistakes or mature, and would rather they stay just as they are to use for their own purposes.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
They also had all of maybe 5 minutes with Shinji between attacks, and "hey, you caused the apocalypse" isn't the first thing you say to someone who's very confused after waking up in a strange place. This is one of the few times where lack of communication is reasonable.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Terminal Entropy posted:

Quickening is a term also used to describe the later stages of a pregnancy when the baby starts kicking around, which is about what 3 felt like: a little kicking right before the big pay off. Not to mention Unit-13 looks to have been finalized via a C-section:

I'm sure Im crazy but does anyone else see Leliel?

aniero fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 5, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

KoB posted:

"God, shut up."

He himself has said multiple times that he would never pilot an Eva again, yet he always goes back to doing so. There is nothing anyone could say that he hasn't told himself already.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, just watched. Really liked it. It was kind of a mess in some ways, but Evangelion has always been kind of a mess in some ways so who cares? I'd be happy I saw it just for how goddamn gorgeous a production it is - to say nothing of the payoff it might just be leading into. Spoilery thoughts below.

Jesus, Shinji.:stare: I mean really, just....Jesus. :stare:

On the one hand, holy poo poo did everyone except Kaowru and kinda Asuka spend this movie making GBS threads on him, and Shinji is trying so drat hard to be a worthwhile human being and all. On the other - GODDAMMIT SHINJI THE ONLY PERSON WHO UNCONDITIONALLY GIVES A poo poo ABOUT YOU AND WHO YOU TRUST MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE WORLD IS GOING 'HEY THIS AINT RIGHT,' DONT PICK UP THOSE loving SPEARS. Honestly - if Shinji's whole character couldn't be so easily summarized by 'in desperate need of a hug,' his ignoring Kaowru's warnings there, vague though they were, would be completely bonkers to me. As it is, it was just sad.

Also, I really, really liked Kaowru as a character - I see this as a big deal, too, because when I saw him in the series he was too aloof and mysterous for me to do anything other than wonder why anyone was surprised he turned out to be an Angel. His farewell to Shinji was legitimately kind of heartwrenching - though 'we'll meet again' could turn out to be a far crueler turn of phrase than Shinji might think in a series that's been teasing an Time-Loop sort of scenario so hard.

Bit confused has to how Kaowru is both the 1st and 13th Angels. Was he one of the 'Adams' from the first impact? And how did he become the 13th, whatever that means? Could he have been genuinely human for some stretch of time?

As for the Adams, it seems like Rei's new Eva was built off one of the Adams, as was 13. Wonder where the other...one? two? however many are.

Someone mentioned they'd like to see a series set in the 14 year timeskip - I doubt it'll happen, but I could totally get behind it if it did. There's so much bizzare poo poo in the new world - the huge sphere I can only assume to be a way-too-close moon, Eva corpses strewn about everywhere, giant skulls that don't seem big enough or alien enough to belong to Evas, that valley of loving massive teeth - that I'd really like to go into a bit more. In particular, I'm curious about precisely what state humanity's in at the moment. Obviously there's been a massive dieback, but there's also clearly enough people to form at least one entire fleet of Wille ships, and it's implied Nerv isn't running itself on five people either. Are there still cities? Is the entire planet as hosed as the Japan area?

Interesting how Nerv seemed to be using artificial Angels to fight Wille - the thing that was holding Shinji and those naval drones. Probably should have tipped Shinji off.

On that note - is it ever explained who put Shinji in orbit and precisely why they did it?

So, was Rei's voice at the beginning of the movie Q's voice, or the 'original' Rei? At first I assumed Gendo was having her play of Shinji's desire to see her to make him go with Nerv willingly, but seeing what a mook Q was for most of the movie makes me less certain.

Gendo is a loving bastard. gently caress him.

gently caress Seele too, though. Interesting that they appear to be AIs now. Presumably they're gone for good - though their boss seems at peace with the situation. Maybe he thinks his Soul will still be around for the Impact.

Still waiting on Mari to have a payoff - though we're at least getting hints of why she should matter now.

I wonder what the precise purpose of Fyutsuki's confession was - it was obviously orchestrated by Gendo, and I'm sure getting Shinji to want to take the spears was part of it, but I feel like there might have been more. Feel bad for Shinji though - 'you killed almost everyone you knew and love for almost no reason' and 'that girl you were probably at least vaguely romantically attracted to is both most likely dead and a clone of your dead mother - who by the way lives in your robot' are a couple of bombshells.

Even as spoiled as I was, I thought most of the movie was going to take place on Wunder/with Wille rather than with Nerv. A bit disappointed - I liked the little bit of Sakura we got to see and I wanted to see more of Wille. Probably going to get that in the finale, though.

I'm mildly pleasantly surprised that Asuka actually seems concerned about Shinji's well being in the end of the movie there. Hopefully she'll be a decent influence on him - assuming Shinji doesn't repeat the awkward wanking from his past life.

Like I said, I really liked it and I feel like it could be building to something really cool...in two years...or so...

:smith:

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 5, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Like I said, I really liked it and I feel like it could be building to something really cool...in two years...or so...

:smith:

That's my biggest problem with 3.33, setting up a bunch of questions, not answering them and not really advancing the plot a great deal wouldn't be too big an issue if the next movie was coming out later this year and not in 2016 or whatever.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Sakurazuka posted:

That's my biggest problem with 3.33, setting up a bunch of questions, not answering them and not really advancing the plot a great deal wouldn't be too big an issue if the next movie was coming out later this year and not in 2016 or whatever.

I'm willing to let that slide since 3.0 and Final were supposed to be released simultaneously. Hopefully the fourth movie is being delayed by so long because they're busy making it loving awesome.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Well I liked this. Too bad it goes back to autism Shinji at the end but there's a good reason this time.

edit: I also thought it was quite weird to have Misato at the end of 2.22 in full Shinji cheerleader mode only to have completely changed her mind regards his life. Makes me wonder what sorts of atrocities and bedlam the former Nerv crew had to endure in those 14 years.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ka0 posted:

Well I liked this. Too bad it goes back to autism Shinji at the end but there's a good reason this time.

edit: I also thought it was quite weird to have Misato at the end of 2.22 in full Shinji cheerleader mode only to have completely changed her mind regards his life. Makes me wonder what sorts of atrocities and bedlam the former Nerv crew had to endure in those 14 years.

I think it's more like Misato has always sort of been like that. Misato has always been using Shinji as a way to gain revenge against the Angels, and has been using him as a tool just as much as someone like Gendo. Tuxedo Catfish says it better here:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Misato is more complicated; on the one hand, she actually cares about Shinji. On the other hand, from the very beginning of the TV series she's used Shinji as a tool in her revenge against the Angels and lived vicariously through his successes. Third Impact is basically Gendo taking her toy away and using it for himself, and she reacts to this as if Shinji personally betrayed her. But the time of 3I itself, she was cheering him on. So in 3.33 she treats him like garbage, hands him a death sentence, and only begins to understand how badly she hosed up when Gendo once again uses his superior understanding of Shinji's psychology to snatch him away from her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ka0 posted:

What I'm really curious about is what the hell happened with Eva Mk. 6? It shows up at the end of 2 after being built up as the first True Eva and the implication that Kaowru will be taking it down to Lillith, then it shows up in Dogma impaled, petrified, and with an Angel crammed inside of it. It's a bit hard to say whether it was a parasitic Angel like Bardiel or Armisael, or whether Mk 6 always contained/was the 12th Angel, but either outcome combined with Kaowru's brief description leads one to believe it was used for a time, saw some serious poo poo and somehow wound up down with Lillith.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of Evas what was the deal with the Mark 09? They kept referring to it as a 'Vessel of Adams' which I can't recall being significant at any point except where it tried to hack the Wunder, and even then they could have just said 'hey the Mark 09 is hacking us' instead of whatever weird master-servant thing they used. It was an Eva, it did nothing special, it got blown up, the end. Did I miss something there? Then of course there was the whole Mark 06 thing.

I mean I really liked the movie and I really liked how it showed us how terrifying the Ikari Shinji Apocalypse Romance Sing-Along really was, but it kind of feels like they set up a whole series of events in the timeskip and assumes we saw them before watching this.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody posted a link here to some Evangelion fan website that talks about all this weird rear end canon poo poo like Black Moon and White Moon and that Lilith and Adam are some kind of alien life seeding beings and I'm just wondering where the gently caress this is coming from. Is it from the comic books? Because I've seen every episode of the TV show and the movies and I don't remember any of that. From what I recall they just made everything vague enough to handwave away any logical problems or plot holes.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

notZaar posted:

Somebody posted a link here to some Evangelion fan website that talks about all this weird rear end canon poo poo like Black Moon and White Moon and that Lilith and Adam are some kind of alien life seeding beings and I'm just wondering where the gently caress this is coming from. Is it from the comic books? Because I've seen every episode of the TV show and the movies and I don't remember any of that. From what I recall they just made everything vague enough to handwave away any logical problems or plot holes.
A combination of a booklet sold in theatres when EoE came out (which has since been at least partially de-canonized) and "Classified Information" from a PS2/PSP video game.

Whether or not any of this poo poo is "canonical" is besides the point, because it's p. obviously a piss-take on the exact sort of spergy obsessive otaku the TV series' ending was railing against.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pierson posted:

Speaking of Evas what was the deal with the Mark 09? They kept referring to it as a 'Vessel of Adams' which I can't recall being significant at any point except where it tried to hack the Wunder, and even then they could have just said 'hey the Mark 09 is hacking us' instead of whatever weird master-servant thing they used. It was an Eva, it did nothing special, it got blown up, the end. Did I miss something there? Then of course there was the whole Mark 06 thing.

I mean I really liked the movie and I really liked how it showed us how terrifying the Ikari Shinji Apocalypse Romance Sing-Along really was, but it kind of feels like they set up a whole series of events in the timeskip and assumes we saw them before watching this.

That's actually relatively simple, I think. Remember how, in the flashback to 2nd inpact in 2.22, there were 4 giants of light instead of one like in the series. Those are all 'Adams' presumably. Wunder is referred to as 'Adams' ship,' and it's implied the Mark 9, as well as the Mark 13 and possibly Mark 6 and Unit 1, is built off of one of the Adams in question. Ergo, each Adam has the ability to interface with the Wunder. I think they allude to this being the reason they need Unit 1 to power the thing - it's either that or an attempt to leech of the godliness it reached after defeating Zeruel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's pretty interesting that We still haven't seen the Evangelion Unit-01 since it ascended to godhood. The only bit of it we saw was the eye and that was still spewing god-lasers around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's pretty interesting that We still haven't seen the Evangelion Unit-01 since it ascended to godhood. The only bit of it we saw was the eye and that was still spewing god-lasers around.

Not exactly a good look, but technically we have; Wunder's engine is powered by Unit-01. I can't really tell what's going on in the scene where Asuka kick-starts it, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be interested to see what happens to Unit 13 in Final. It seemed like Misato and company would have been able to recover it after what happened, and it doesn't exactly seem like the sort of thing you leave laying around for loving Gendo to pick up. Come to think of it, at this point I have to wonder what Final will even be about. I mean, it's obvious at this point that we're not getting any kind of direct retelling of end, yet the trailer still shows Asuka fighting off oodles of MP Evas. I'd like to say that either Gendo will be trying to recover either Unit 1 or Unit 13 to launch the Final Impact, or he'll have his own Impact trigger and Wille will have to launch an assault to stop him, but either way raises the question - if Gendo's end goal is Impact and Instrumentality, he had two shots to pull that off and neither worked, so why say things are still going to plan?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll be interested to see what happens to Unit 13 in Final. It seemed like

Didn't 1.1 the after-credits teaser for 2.0 show a bunch of scenes that never appeared anywhere again? And again with the 3.0 teaser? I don't know if you can count in anything in the previews actually being in the film.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

Didn't 1.1 the after-credits teaser for 2.0 show a bunch of scenes that never appeared anywhere again? And again with the 3.0 teaser? I don't know if you can count in anything in the previews actually being in the film.

True. Though I can't see where on earth else there is to go from here.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

notZaar posted:

It is the basis of the whole story, basically there can only be 1 seed of life at a time in any given planet; Evangelion is the story of what happens if a seed arrives after another one has. Adam got to earth first, made life to its likeness. Then came Lilith, which had a completely different idea on evolution and life, the two's creations clash over and over, leading to the impacts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's actually relatively simple, I think. Remember how, in the flashback to 2nd inpact in 2.22, there were 4 giants of light instead of one like in the series. Those are all 'Adams' presumably. Wunder is referred to as 'Adams' ship,' and it's implied the Mark 9, as well as the Mark 13 and possibly Mark 6 and Unit 1, is built off of one of the Adams in question. Ergo, each Adam has the ability to interface with the Wunder. I think they allude to this being the reason they need Unit 1 to power the thing - it's either that or an attempt to leech of the godliness it reached after defeating Zeruel.
I totally forgot about that, dang. Makes more sense now, thanks man.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
People like to poo-poo the PS2/PSP Classified Information stuff but the reson people take it seriously canonically is because the game is essentially a series of what-if scenarios and the devs/writers interviewed Anno for 8 hours regarding the in-universe mechanics of everything so that they could be less fanfic-y and more consistent with the series. They then dumped the raw info into in-game hackable PC's.

notZaar posted:

Because I've seen every episode of the TV show and the movies and I don't remember any of that. From what I recall they just made everything vague enough to handwave away any logical problems or plot holes.

In episode 21 they explicitly say the Geofront is extraterrestrial in origin so it's not entirely out of left field.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

This blog was linked in the Gargantia thread and has quite an interesting take on the 3.33. I do feel though like people are awfully quick to go, "Eva is designed to gently caress with all you nerds except me, the one guy smart enough to really get it :smug:". But yeah, there's definitely an element of that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

That is quite possibly the most pedantic self-indulgent review I've read so far.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So I just read the story related to Evangelion 3.0 and duuuuuuuuddddeee, like, this just took a left turn to wild land. I hope I'll get a chance to see that and the 4th.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

A combination of a booklet sold in theatres when EoE came out (which has since been at least partially de-canonized) and "Classified Information" from a PS2/PSP video game.

Whether or not any of this poo poo is "canonical" is besides the point, because it's p. obviously a piss-take on the exact sort of spergy obsessive otaku the TV series' ending was railing against.

Well the Adam and Lilith stuff, at least, is fairly simple and makes the whole series rather less baffling, even if it isn't especially interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

The Adam and Lilith stuff totally undermines the presentation in the series, where it's all literally magic being manipulated (poorly) by science. Evangelion is partly a story about the arrogance of man trying to master forces beyond human understanding.