Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Skulduggery posted:

So I just bought a house with my girlfriend, does anyone have any tips on moving/packing Lego sets without taking them apart? We both have a ton of Lego and a lot of big sets that we don't really want to take apart. I'm thinking no matter what I do pieces are going to fall off but I'd like to minimize the damage.

When I last moved, I just put mine in plastic tubs with packing paper between them. Take off any fragile components ahead of time. They made it from PA to IL in a moving truck with relatively few pieces falling off. There weren't many super fiddly sets involved though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Motherfucker, I was at work when they went up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Captain Invictus posted:

Motherfucker, I was at work when they went up.

And I was sleeping because my body hates me. gently caress.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

ltr posted:

I am so tempted by the B-wing for $99. My two issues is that it's not minifig scale to match my X-wing and A-Wing (Y-wing coming soon) and several people on here have said it's kinda flimsy. I doubt there will be another B-wing made in minifig scale, so it's tough to pass this up. Why do you have to taunt me Lego!

The A-Wing is about a minifig's length too short to be properly minifig scale (:goonsay:) but yeah, the B-Wing is quite a bit larger. The obvious answer here is to get the new UCS X-Wing and then wait for lego to do a UCS A-Wing, of course. ;)

Anyway I don't really agree on the flimsiness. The side wings attach to the body with several of the clicky hinges, the main wing halves attach to each other with a couple of pins and then round plates down the front and back, and the cockpit assembly/engine assembly/main wing all attach together with a bunch of pins and rods. I actually thought it was quite sturdy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They put more B-Wings in stock.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

smackfu posted:

They put more B-Wings in stock.

Not in stock for me, but I can order now. Says they'll ship May 16th.

edit: I am bad at this On Line Shopping thing the kids are doing. Order placed. Working on device to speed up time.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 4, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, maybe not in stock, but not sold out anymore.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Skulduggery posted:

So I just bought a house with my girlfriend, does anyone have any tips on moving/packing Lego sets without taking them apart? We both have a ton of Lego and a lot of big sets that we don't really want to take apart. I'm thinking no matter what I do pieces are going to fall off but I'd like to minimize the damage.

If you don't mind looking weird, I'd recommend hitting up local pharmacies and seeing if they have any freight boxes left over. My wife works for Fred Meyer, and she regularly picks up the boxes because they are, simply, fantastic and quite sturdy, and unlike some freight, it is handled well and the boxes are in great condition. Additionally, if they have any, boxes produced by Rexam are basically the perfect fit for most modular buildings with minimal reconstruction.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

rickiep00h posted:

That is a fantastic lead, if only it could be corroborated somehow...

Ended up being true! My buddy and I each bought one, beautiful set, can't wait to put it together.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno about you guys, but I'm grabbing at least a few to hold onto for a couple years, and keeping one for myself.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Got the UCS X-Wing at the store today, Hoth Han is awesome. Finished the fuselage in between doing a lot of other poo poo today, 5 bags down and 5 bags of hopefully not boring wings and engines to go.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

UberJumper posted:

http://imgur.com/a/8lRbO

Close up album shots:
http://imgur.com/a/1XgdY

7078 x 7
7038 x 1
7048 x 6
7097 x 2
7009 x 1
7079 x 3
7094 x 1
7037 x 4
8402 x 1
7633 x 1
4994 x 1
8401 x 1
7685 x 1
7639 x 1
7638 x 1
4996 x 1
7633 x 1
10185 x 1
5618 x 1

An update on this. I sold the Cafe Corner, the Troll Ship and Skeleton Ship to a friend. I then found a local buyer through a friend for everything else, who unfortunately kept putting me off (he was too busy etc). Finally he just ended up last minute low balling me and offering me 150$ for everything above (i originally asked for 500$), and refused to pay any more. Unfortunately this has left me in a bad situation, i am moving within a two weeks across Canada for a job.

So i have spent the last 3 days rebuilding the sets trying to rush as quickly as possible, however tonight i realized i simply do not have the time to do this for everything. Unfortunately i am out of time, and even after spending the last 2-3 days rebuilding sets, i barely made a dent in it overall, even less time to ship this stuff.

Current Status: http://imgur.com/a/MO0FG

So anyways if there are any Lego Goons in Ottawa, Ontario who are interested make me an offer, i was asking for 500$ for all of it, but will consider smaller offers. However [b]you would need to come and pick this stuff up within at latest the next week and a half[/b]. I don't have time to part it out and ship it (you buy it all).

Note: I am not 100% sure if every part is there for all the sets. I do know however currently i know i am missing a 2x1 slimey green colour block for the Green Grocer. And a tan peg for the Human Castle (for the little catapult).

*EDIT* Also i will throw in the 3 sorting cabinets (originally i was using them to sort parts) for free. Also if you want more pictures let me know and i will take more.

*EDIT 2* Sorry i just don't want to deal with shipping this.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 5, 2013

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Just placed an order for a B-Wing from Australia using a freight forwarding company. $108 with CA sales tax vs $350 here. Unbelievable.

Hopefully Lego actually ship it and don't realise it's a freight forwarding address.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

How much was forwarding?

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Ika posted:

How much was forwarding?

Not sure yet, will know when/if the package reaches them. When I bought the 10212 Imperial Shuttle it was ~$80 to get it shipped to Australia.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

alright, that matches roughly what I was seeing for shipping to Europe. That would end up working out to a 20-30% discount which isn't worth the hassle.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

An update on this. I sold the Cafe Corner, the Troll Ship and Skeleton Ship to a friend. I then found a local buyer through a friend for everything else, who unfortunately kept putting me off (he was too busy etc). Finally he just ended up last minute low balling me and offering me 150$ for everything above (i originally asked for 500$), and refused to pay any more. Unfortunately this has left me in a bad situation, i am moving within a two weeks across Canada for a job.

So i have spent the last 3 days rebuilding the sets trying to rush as quickly as possible, however tonight i realized i simply do not have the time to do this for everything. Unfortunately i am out of time, and even after spending the last 2-3 days rebuilding sets, i barely made a dent in it overall, even less time to ship this stuff.

Current Status: http://imgur.com/a/MO0FG

So anyways if there are any Lego Goons in Ottawa, Ontario who are interested make me an offer, i was asking for 500$ for all of it, but will consider smaller offers. However you would need to come and pick this stuff up within at latest the next week and a half. I don't have time to part it out and ship it (you buy it all).

Note: I am not 100% sure if every part is there for all the sets. I do know however currently i know i am missing a 2x1 slimey green colour block for the Green Grocer. And a tan peg for the Human Castle (for the little catapult).

*EDIT* Also i will throw in the 3 sorting cabinets (originally i was using them to sort parts) for free. Also if you want more pictures let me know and i will take more.

This is so tempting but I'm moving from Toronto to Winnipeg on Tuesday and I won't have time to make the trip to Ottawa.

Also, our Lego collection is all packed. Our instructions alone take up a giant tupperware bin about 28x18x8". The rest of it would probably fill the back of our pickup truck. Originally my wife wanted to sort the pieces from the sets we dissasembled but after seeing what we had she said it'd probably take a year at the pace we sort at. Seeing as our new place is probably temporary for 6 months and only a single bedroom I'm pretty sure that stuff is going to stay in boxes and bins until the winter.

Except for my MOC WW2 tanks, they're awesome and never coming apart. :colbert:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

EvilJoven posted:

This is so tempting but I'm moving from Toronto to Winnipeg on Tuesday and I won't have time to make the trip to Ottawa.

Also, our Lego collection is all packed. Our instructions alone take up a giant tupperware bin about 28x18x8". The rest of it would probably fill the back of our pickup truck. Originally my wife wanted to sort the pieces from the sets we dissasembled but after seeing what we had she said it'd probably take a year at the pace we sort at. Seeing as our new place is probably temporary for 6 months and only a single bedroom I'm pretty sure that stuff is going to stay in boxes and bins until the winter.

Except for my MOC WW2 tanks, they're awesome and never coming apart. :colbert:

Honestly i was considering bringing it with me however i just decided i didn't want to drag something else with me. However at this point i am so stressed by the rapid move i need to do, along with everything else and I am running out of time. That i just don't want to deal with it anymore :(

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Honestly i was considering bringing it with me however i just decided i didn't want to drag something else with me. However at this point i am so stressed by the rapid move i need to do, along with everything else and I am running out of time. That i just don't want to deal with it anymore :(

Sent you a pm just in case we could work something out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I put the B-Wing in my cart, my browser crashed, and now they're sold out again. :negative:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I put the B-Wing in my cart, my browser crashed, and now they're sold out again. :negative:

I grabbed 25. Sorry

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thanks for the heads up on the B Wing. Snatched up one. Super stoked to put that bad boy together. Been a long while since I've done such a large set!

Norns fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 5, 2013

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I grabbed 25. Sorry

Yea I ended up grabbing 3 myself. If I ordered one and got the minifig/poster combo and then ordered another two like 5 hours later, do you think they'll send it in the same box and send me 2 Han minifigs? Also never really ordered a large set from online before, only a couple small sets. Do they still ship with USPS for large sets because if so my postman will never deliver it like always. It took me 2 extra weeks to get my minecraft set from lego before just because the postman didn't want to carry the small box up the street and decided to toss it in the back somewhere. :(

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone have the Lego Gran Prix Racer (42000)? Was browsing Lego models the other day and saw it for the first time and now I think I need to have it. I'm looking at it more for display than for any special parts or building the alternate model.

I just finished putting this together a couple hours ago. It's a great looking model and seems to be pretty solid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This guy:

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=1304642

he's got a few really impressive Lego Transformers, complete with his own drawn artwork of the characters. Some seem to be in greyscale, but Optimus Prime at least is mostly properly colored. Also, really tiny yet fully transforming and articulated, and come with transformation instructions. Lot of detail and effort, and they look pretty amazing, though Optimus is kind of a fatty. But hey, he's barely larger than a pack of cigarettes!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Captain Invictus posted:

This guy:

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=1304642

he's got a few really impressive Lego Transformers, complete with his own drawn artwork of the characters. Some seem to be in greyscale, but Optimus Prime at least is mostly properly colored. Also, really tiny yet fully transforming and articulated, and come with transformation instructions. Lot of detail and effort, and they look pretty amazing, though Optimus is kind of a fatty. But hey, he's barely larger than a pack of cigarettes!

Got a better link? I don't need an account on some Japanese photobucket.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Tanith posted:

Blog link is in his profile http://jigohoukoku.hatenablog.com/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tanith posted:

Your loss I guess if you're too lazy to make an account? Pixiv is pretty awesome, it's like Deviantart but way easier to avoid the weirdos, and way more professionals have accounts there. There was a thread that got archived full of outstanding artist's profiles on there. Also, there's English language options.

edit: or Chengiz could link it to you I guess!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 6, 2013

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Captain Invictus posted:

Your loss I guess if you're too lazy to make an account?

Not everyone wants accounts for websites they don't need or will never use. That doesn't make them lazy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

Not everyone wants accounts for websites they don't need or will never use. That doesn't make them lazy.

So make an account and then never use it again. I really don't see the problem with it, it takes a minute or two to do. Anyways, Chenghiz linked to his blog, so that issue is resolved!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I went to the Downtown Disney Lego store tonight and apparently they'd sold out of the B-Wings and X-Wings in about 5 minutes after opening on Saturday. Oh well. v:shobon:v

I did however buy the Palace Cinema with a $10 off coupon that I found in one of the many coupon books you find all over here, and then another $5 off with my VIP points. Sweet deal. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

So I went to the Downtown Disney Lego store tonight and apparently they'd sold out of the B-Wings and X-Wings in about 5 minutes after opening on Saturday. Oh well. v:shobon:v

I did however buy the Palace Cinema with a $10 off coupon that I found in one of the many coupon books you find all over here, and then another $5 off with my VIP points. Sweet deal. :)

X-Wings were on sale as well? Or just freshly put on the shelf?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Red 5 x-wings were on sale yesterday morning for 5 mins until they were allll gone.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

quote:

Thank you for your recent order, XXXXXXX. In an effort to protect personal consumer information, LEGO Systems, Inc. has elected to no longer process shipments to Third Party Shipping Vendors.

We have determined that because your order is scheduled to ship to such a vendor we must, accordingly, cancel your order.

Bullshit.

In an effort to maintain our profiteering practices in Australia we must, accordingly, cancel your order.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Looks like Monster Fighters predictably disappeared off shelves overnight without ever going on clearance. Tulsa is just big enough for people to know what Lego is worth but still small enough that it's utterly useless.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

ElZilcho posted:

Bullshit.

In an effort to maintain our profiteering practices in Australia we must, accordingly, cancel your order.

Third party shipping vendors? I mean, isn't EVERY shipping vendor third party?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

cstine posted:

Third party shipping vendors? I mean, isn't EVERY shipping vendor third party?

No, they mean those drop-box style PO boxes where you ship it to a US PO box and the 3rd party then ships it to you, to get around the (huge) number of companies that are too short sighted to recognise that there's a world outside the US. Such companies are also useful for getting things that have geographical limited offers/specials/uniques.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

ElZilcho posted:

Bullshit.

I hope you responded with that exactly (actually it's no doubt a noreply anyway so welp)

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

ElZilcho posted:

Bullshit.

Part of it is to prevent fraud they want it only sent to the credit card address due to a lot of ebay dropshipping fraud with people using stolen credit cards, selling the item on ebay but actually using the card to buy the item from S&H when you make the purchase. It also had to do with resellers using it to get passed limited quantities. Until last year you could do it no problem as I was getting stuff shipped to an american address using a canadian credit card.

In the end there is no real justification for the huge price difference in regions as different countries economic policies do not add 30% or more to the final cost.

Lego also releases a statement every few years saying why there is a price difference and its usually just the same bullshit.

quote:

Our selling costs in Europe and Asia are higher than in the US because of the size of US market and retailers (economies of scale). Furthermore, the US market is by far the most price competitive in the world. These factors combined mean that we have for years priced our products higher in eg Europe than the US. In recent years, the difference has been increased due to the weakening US dollar – but we have consciously decided not to let this (hopefully short term) weakening of the dollar hurt the US consumer. And in order to stay profitable as a company, we cannot decrease our European prices – especially seen in the light of increasing cost pressure on oil, labor etc. Finally, final pricing in the market place is obviously determined by retailers, which is something we cannot and will not influence.

Merchant of Death fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

X-Wings were on sale as well? Or just freshly put on the shelf?

The X-Wing's release date was May 4th, so it was up for sale, not on sale.