Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

That doesn't seem anywhere near as interesting as "Your Baby's Dead", coming this fall, 5 nights a week on NBC.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Time Dissolver posted:

That is so far from the most interesting thing that happens in the third act of Cabin in the Woods it probably doesn't even count as a spoiler.

Its also only really a spoiler after you've seen the movie. Before it just seems like a tagline.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Im probably a piece of poo poo but I watched The Haunted House and overall... it wasn't TERRIBLE... just forgettable.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh no. No no no no no :barf:

I was going to ask if the first one had broken even, but then I looked it up on BoxOfficeMojo. The budget was only 2.5 million, which gave me a sigh of relief because not an exorbitant amount of money was wasted to make it, but it made 40 million at the box office. That's....troubling. I suppose that guaranteed a sequel, though :smith:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I feel like that Haunted House 2 poster had to have started out with his tongue sticking out, only to be reworked into the current one.
Anyway.

Now with safety helmet and kickin' lime shoes!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Darthemed posted:

I feel like that Haunted House 2 poster had to have started out with his tongue sticking out, only to be reworked into the current one.
Anyway.

Now with safety helmet and kickin' lime shoes!

Note that both covers have a man skateboarding instead of surfing.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Gonz posted:

That doesn't seem anywhere near as interesting as "Your Baby's Dead", coming this fall, 5 nights a week on NBC.
That poster reminded me of this:

http://youtu.be/uD3yrKQGAWQ?t=51s

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Waffleman_ posted:

Well you see, they wanted to do a take-off on "The Prince and the Pauper" and couldn't work out how to make "...and the Skateboarder" work. They didn't even have the imagination to call it "The Prince and the Skater".

Pretty much sums up the level of thought that went into the making of that movie and its posters.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Tewratomeh posted:

Well you see, they wanted to do a take-off on "The Prince and the Pauper" and couldn't work out how to make "...and the Skateboarder" work. They didn't even have the imagination to call it "The Prince and the Skater".

Pretty much sums up the level of thought that went into the making of that movie and its posters.
"Hi I'm Tom Canty, welcome to Jackass."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Also i'm pretty sure its two different people as the skateboarder in the two posters. Also the prince appears to be a giant cardboard cut out.

I can't hate these, they're so lazy it's sort of adorable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Also i'm pretty sure its two different people as the skateboarder in the two posters. Also the prince appears to be a giant cardboard cut out.

I can't hate these, they're so lazy it's sort of adorable.

According to Wikipedia, there is not a single instance of surfing in the entire movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

Its also only really a spoiler after you've seen the movie. Before it just seems like a tagline.

If you'd seen the trailer for Cabin in the Woods and couldn't pre-guess every major event in the movie by the end of the title sequence, then you weren't really watching at all.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Something like this is definitely preferable.

drat, I actually like this. Is this a fan poster or the real thing?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Real.

Jedit posted:

If you'd seen the trailer for Cabin in the Woods and couldn't pre-guess every major event in the movie by the end of the title sequence, then you weren't really watching at all.

Considering how far off the established chart that movie went then I don't think it's whether or not you could guess the events, but rather whether or not you thought the film would have the balls to go there.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

mind the walrus posted:

Real.

Considering how far off the established chart that movie went then I don't think it's whether or not you could guess the events, but rather whether or not you thought the film would have the balls to go there.

What balls, it didn't go anywhere? It was just horror movies suck, here are some goofy characters in a hallway the end. Hold that against genuine gamechangers like, say, Paranormal Activity, which had the balls to have a feature length horror movie revolving around long static shots of a doorway; or The Exorcist's decision to marry horror with gritty domestic drama; or The Bride of Frankenstein's camp revisionism; or even The Thing's unflinching transformations, and Cabin in the Woods is a smug hollow shell sneering at better movies than itself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whoa. I just meant that it would actually have the balls to follow through on its conceits. Not that it was some daring pioneer. It wouldn't be the first time a movie was daring to be a pisstake on conventional horror cinema that balked at carrying through the implications of its premise.

Besides if you think that the final act was sneering, then I don't know what movie you were watching. In fact a straightforward read of the film is a condemnation of the system by which most horror movies are made and how it neuters the actual variety, menace, and enjoyment inherent in the pool of established monsters for both the creatives behind the scenes and characters we establish as victims. And it says this whilst presenting excellent use of those monsters in a torrent of catharsis after an hour and a half of yet another zombie rednceck hillbilly family and shallow stereotype that everyone in the movie is passively resisting or unhappy with in one way or another.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 7, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

In fact a straightforward read of the film is a condemnation of the system by which most horror movies are made and how it neuters the actual variety, menace, and enjoyment inherent in the pool of established monsters for both the creatives behind the scenes and characters we establish as victims.

Yeah but that's a big britches kind of claim, and it's one that feels pathetic and toothless when the movie itself is not only one of the visually and structurally dullest horror films of the year, but one that's totally out of step with what's actually going on in the genre.

I mean it's a horror film from the late 2000s that's still ragging on slasher films. What was the last big hit straightforward slasher movie? Scream 2?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I saw it as more a condemnation of the runaway slasher remake trend which can be dismissively boiled down to "zombie redneck torture family" in one way or another-- Texas Chainsaw, Hills have Eyes, Halloween, Friday the 13th, the Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses-- and even movies like Hostel, Funny Games, and The Strangers. Even when you go in and organize every one of those horror villains into their own categories they still lack the variety of "Merman" or "Witches" or "Sexy Witches" or "Scarecrows" or a million other monster movie types of villains that have been conspicuously absent from high-profile studio horror for a long time. I think the last trend to even kind-of rival that of the generic zombie/sociopath slasher were Jurassic Park-style creature features like Lake Placid and The Host or Japanese ghost remakes like The Ring and The Grudge.

Sure, there are a million exceptions like The Descent or even Paranormal Activity, but they genuinely play second fiddle to what dominates the horror landscape and has since the 80s. The movie itself is subtle in indicating that the villains don't have to be generic redneck zombies, just that when push comes to shove they're the most likely to show up because they have a really high success rate.

I actually agree about the structure and dullness, but it didn't bother me because I viewed the movie as a straight-up comedy with horrific elements and not a horror movie. To me the meat and potatoes were chuckling at the cavalier attitude of the guys behind the scenes or laughing at how screwed up the main characters were from the relatively nuanced people we met at the beginning of the film, or laughing at the sheer absurdity of a million monsters all acting on the same instinct "kill," or watching a stoner fight Sigourney Weaver on a stone dais for the fate of humanity while a werewolf mauls a girl in the background. That's funny poo poo.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 7, 2013

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

PaganGoatPants posted:

More Man of Steel

reminds me of

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mind the walrus posted:

Just using a bloodied cabin floor is a bit too lazy, but it's absolutely genius that the ending is given away by the tagline.

Hell I thought it was both a standalone tag line and a winking stab at "John Dies at the End."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mind the walrus posted:

That's not what I was trying to say. The trailer for CITW gave away just about every major event in the movie and then the opening credits basically told you why it was happening.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

penismightier posted:

I mean it's a horror film from the late 2000s that's still ragging on slasher films. What was the last big hit straightforward slasher movie? Scream 2?

It's not just ragging on modern pop culture slasher films like a parody movie. It's using our preconceived notions about an entire genre (over the past few decades) to misdirect us. I thought it was really fun and cool.

It's also very geared at folks that grew up in the 70s and 80s and early 90s with those types of flicks and is intended to invoke at least some nostalgia. Not just a cheap pop at whatever's the latest trend.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

Either minimalist fan posters are becoming more numerous or Google is getting "better" at finding them because these all popped up when I googled the theatrical poster. Either way :ughh:

:gerty:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh come the gently caress on with that last one. I'm actually insulted as a designer by that turd.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I looked at that last one and thought it was just a generic bad fan poster until I noticed the eyes, then it became amazing(ly terrible).

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is moon the movie with the quote about hate?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

KoRMaK posted:

Is moon the movie with the quote about hate?

Which quote? I don't remember there being much hatred in Moon. Maybe you're thinking of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I like the theatrical poster for moon. I think any other theme would give away what happens in that movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mister Chief posted:

I like the theatrical poster for moon. I think any other theme would give away what happens in that movie.

100% agreed. Moon's gotta be a really hard one to market since the twist is an extension of the premise. They evoked the mood without blowing the surprise.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Which quote? I don't remember there being much hatred in Moon. Maybe you're thinking of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream?
Yea that's probably it. "Let me tell you about hate. I've been alive for 4 million cycles and blah blah blah" something like that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea that's probably it. "Let me tell you about hate. I've been alive for 4 million cycles and blah blah blah" something like that.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't know what's going on with your monitor on this poster but every time I scroll mine is making MAGIC.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

kiimo posted:

I don't know what's going on with your monitor on this poster but every time I scroll mine is making MAGIC.

Really tight concentric circles like that moving against a grid actually is literally magic.

That's probably my all-time favorite movie poster.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Now I am just scrolling up and down at different speeds, looking at that Moon poster. There should be a YTMND of this.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Anybody check out Google today? Nice tribute to Saul Bass.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

mind the walrus posted:

That's because the movie posters were just selling the idea of Superman returning. That was literally it. That was all the marketing for it ever was. "Hey remember Superman? He's back." That's where it began and that's where it ended. In hindsight I'm pretty glad it was that way since now Man of Steel's marketing actually has to work for its audience's attention.

That's very true. Kinda like when Batman Begins came out. That was a different Batman. This is a different Superman, and that's where the marketing seems to be going.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Now I understand why all that blur makes me feel dizzy: it was taken with a lovely camera phone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Davros1 posted:

reminds me of

Didn't that poster have an unfortunate positioning of Florida relative to Superman? Did they change it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

zandert33 posted:

Anybody check out Google today? Nice tribute to Saul Bass.

Mondo is doing a random sale today with his fish signature on a shirt. Keep watch on the site with a Chrome autorefresher plugin.