Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Krinkle posted:

Why does the other thread know things like what the song "The rains of castamere" sounds like or means? When did the show ever play it for anyone and explain "this is how you know the lannisters are pissed at you"? They recognized it when they fought the bear, apparently.

Behind the scenes video and such I imagine. Much was made of Castamere when they got The National to record it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Krinkle posted:

Why does the other thread know things like what the song "The rains of castamere" sounds like or means? When did the show ever play it for anyone and explain "this is how you know the lannisters are pissed at you"? They recognized it when they fought the bear, apparently.

Bronn sang it last season, Tyrion was whistling it, they had The National play the song during the credits in one of the episodes, it's not exactly the first time its in the show.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Before Blackwater Bronn leads a singalong of RoC.

Then the episode ends with The National doing it. (and book readers stealthily make a big deal about it)

Then it's instrumental a few times.

Then Thoros sings it a Capella.

Now it's ingrained in show-only people as "The Lannister Victory Song".

All this so when it's played at the RW and poo poo goes to hell, there's a perfect "oh holy poo poo" punch line to it.

It's actually one of the most clever things the show has done.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Before Blackwater Bronn leads a singalong of RoC.

Then the episode ends with The National doing it. (and book readers stealthily make a big deal about it)

Then it's instrumental a few times.

Then Thoros sings it a Capella.

Now it's ingrained in show-only people as "The Lannister Victory Song".

All this so when it's played at the RW and poo poo goes to hell, there's a perfect "oh holy poo poo" punch line to it.

It's actually one of the most clever things the show has done.

Yep my mum is definitely not catching that. I had to pause to explain to her that Tywin was marrying off Cersei to Loras, and Tyrion to Sansa, an episode after it was explained, and without using any of the characters names (because she doesn't know them).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

The Mutato posted:

Yep my mum is definitely not catching that. I had to pause to explain to her that Tywin was marrying off Cersei to Loras, and Tyrion to Sansa, an episode after it was explained, and without using any of the characters names (because she doesn't know them).

I don't think they are expecting everyone to catch that, just most attentive viewers / book readers.

This last episode was pretty much a big "wink wink nudge nudge" by GRRM to book readers.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I imagined the bearpit to be less... Anchorman

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Mutato posted:

Congratulations. Your mom isn't a reprehensible goonlord like us or the filthy half-wits of TVIV.

nuncle jimbo posted:

"I immediately regret this decision." -Jaime Lannister

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

nuncle jimbo posted:

To be fair, it must be really hard to shoot a convincing bear fight without having a Life of Pi kind of budget, it was OK for television.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

nuncle jimbo posted:

What, did Nymeria show up and speak to the bear about his cousin?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Didn't they kill the bear, in the book? Maybe the bear lying down trick wasn't convincing enough or maybe they thought PETA wouldn't raise a stink over one CGI crossbow bolt.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I liked that the bear got an entire screen in the credits just to himself.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Krinkle posted:

Because of people from this thread going into that thread and going OMG RAINS OF CASTAMOOOOOOO

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just how many broomsticks are up your rear end, anyway?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I figured they would show bits of Theon torture this season because they couldn't just skip his story for several years. But now that they've shown pretty much everything there is to show before the trip to Winterfell, how are they going to stretch out the rest of his story across 3 more seasons?

Also, this was the worst episode so far this season. Great job, Gurm.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

CaptainRightful posted:

I figured they would show bits of Theon torture this season because they couldn't just skip his story for several years. But now that they've shown pretty much everything there is to show before the trip to Winterfell, how are they going to stretch out the rest of his story across 3 more seasons?

I'm feeling the same thing, but for now I'm enjoying the wonderful casting of Simon from Misfits as Ramsay, so I'm not too worried yet. Maybe they're going to step it up a little and have Ramsay's Winterfell party start next season? Though Stannis isn't even on the Wall, and Mance is still North as well, so I don't even know.

I'm still trying to figure out what Melisandre is going to do with Gendry - in the books he was the Brotherhood's smith and that was the last we heard of him, right?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
My favourite part of the episode was Dany demanding that they give the slaves "All the property...they can carry."

Good luck with that, slaves.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

morcant posted:

I'm feeling the same thing, but for now I'm enjoying the wonderful casting of Simon from Misfits as Ramsay, so I'm not too worried yet. Maybe they're going to step it up a little and have Ramsay's Winterfell party start next season? Though Stannis isn't even on the Wall, and Mance is still North as well, so I don't even know.

I'm still trying to figure out what Melisandre is going to do with Gendry - in the books he was the Brotherhood's smith and that was the last we heard of him, right?

She's gonna leech him instead of Edric Storm. They even showed this in the preview to next week's episode.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

CaptainRightful posted:

She's gonna leech him instead of Edric Storm. They even showed this in the preview to next week's episode.

Oh, well poo poo. We don't usually watch the previews for next episode stuff, so I missed that entirely. :downs:

Now to GoT wiki because I've completely forgotten about Edric Storm.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

My favourite part of the episode was Dany demanding that they give the slaves "All the property...they can carry."

Good luck with that, slaves.

I was just imagining all the slave masters handing out big blocks of lead to all the newly-freed slaves as they were force marched out of the city. Have fun dying in the desert!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wow I can't believe nobody mentioned Tormund talking about loving.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I didn't feel skeevy and gross for going to see strippers, I just felt bored at the end of the night. I got my fill long before the dudes I was there with had, so I wound up getting drunk and proposing to a dancer named Cher.

And then the birthday boy got photos taken with a dancer after a private lap dance and told us we couldn't ever tell his girlfriend where we had been that night. :ssh:
Strip clubs are cool because sometimes your birthday boy friend is off getting lap dances and you're bored but then you find someone's forgotten cellphone and it's unlocked and mixed in with pictures of their grandma and girlfriend are pictures of the phone's owner fingerbanging an Asian chick and then you upload those pictures to their Facebook wall before handing the phone off to the security guard for safe keeping.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shoehead posted:

It's about time he started joking around, I guess. He seemed way too serious and normal all season for the funniest man beyond the Wall.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Strip clubs are cool because sometimes your birthday boy friend is off getting lap dances and you're bored but then you find someone's forgotten cellphone and it's unlocked and mixed in with pictures of their grandma and girlfriend are pictures of the phone's owner fingerbanging an Asian chick and then you upload those pictures to their Facebook wall before handing the phone off to the security guard for safe keeping.

This is an oddly specific tale.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
You've caught me red handed. It's true that I am beloved American fantasy writer George R. R. Martin.
How ironic that my first piece of wholly original fiction in almost two years has betrayed my identity.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Can I borrow your cap, Georgeson, I, uh, have some role-playing to do.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Oh god I get a job at work that keeps me away from the computer for like 4 days and there's been over 500 new posts? Is everyone still just talking about the lovely TV show?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thornghost posted:

Oh god I get a job at work that keeps me away from the computer for like 4 days and there's been over 500 new posts? Is everyone still just talking about the lovely TV show?

There hasn't been a lot of print material to discuss.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

The newest TVIV complaint is Theon's scenes being boring and going nowhere. It's like they've reached our level and they're only half way through book 3

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I Own Soulz posted:

The newest TVIV complaint is Theon's scenes being boring and going nowhere. It's like they've reached our level and they're only half way through book 3
That and the slow realization/complaint "wait Dany's not crossing this season, is she?" :laugh:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

I Own Soulz posted:

I can't decide if it's some kind of masterful countertroll to have book readers in the thread promising show watchers that the Theon story goes anywhere.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

syscall girl posted:

There hasn't been a lot of print material to discuss.

The new Dunk and Egg is coming out in the Dangerous Women anthology. Oh, wait, never mind. Well, there's the ASOIAF encyclopedia in October, which contains some brand-new ... oh. Dammit.

Good news: my family is getting sick of remaindered Far Side desk calenders in their stockings and the new Tyrion quote book is coming out in time for Christmas. So I've got that going for me.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got the same feeling from watching last night's episode that I did while reading ADWD

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

One of the more accurate news articles to date concerning Game of Thrones:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/game-of-thrones-to-reach-its-climax-in-2468-2013051368434

quote:

Author George RR Martin, who bought Tolkien’s middle initials for $6.8 million at a literary auction, said: “The peasants who fought in the Hundred Years War never knew how it ended. Nor will the fans of Game of Thrones."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
That's so appropriate. We are filthy peasants dependent upon our lord, Sir George R. R. Martin the Tummy Tickler, Lord of Castleycake and Lemongarden. When the war in Westeros ends what does it matter to lowly people like us? We will still suffer and get by on the watery shits we spray into the ground to fertilize our meager crops of neeps.

Shoehead posted:

I laughed hard until I realized he was talking about loving dogs. Come on, Gurm, get your own canon right—Tormund fucks bears.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 14, 2013

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I hope the show can go on for at least three more seasons that way we can get some sort of ending.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Two would be good. Season 4 can be SoS and the rest of ADWD, then season 5 can be WoW and ADOS.

Since Dorne, the Kingsmoot poo poo, and Brienne are worthless details, you can cut 98% of AFFC.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That and the slow realization/complaint "wait Dany's not crossing this season, is she?" :laugh:

I can't wait til the end of next season when she still hasn't gone to Westeros and ~Daario~ shenanigans.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So is the Red Wedding this season or next? It should be in a few weeks but a lot of you seem to think it'll happen next season/series.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Episode 9. Joffrey dies next season, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

The Unnamed One posted:

Episode 9. Joffrey dies next season, probably.

Yeah, I say Geoffrey bites it in episode 2 next season since that's the one GRRM is writing.