Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't mind having a few speedorz to experiment with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabz71/8728603453/

That's just crazy. I can't even begin to imagine how to fit all those greebles in there.

So I'm building A Thing. It's a spaceship and now I'm looking for interesting ideas for a modern/sci-fi research area. Looking at interior shots of the ISS, modern space labs seem to be mostly walls full of computers and boxes. Walls covered in computers is always good but I want something more distinct that can rest on a small table.

So far I've built a 4X6 table with an x-ray machine and a microscope. I'm thinking of adding a table with some circular machinery with lots of cables attached (sort of like this) but I can't really figure out how to make it compact yet detailed.

Does anyone have a resource for this? I guess what I'm looking for is like those furniture pics you sometimes see, only space-themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The Royal Scrub posted:

So are all the really complicated MOCs still "legit"? Like am I supposed to trust that every LDraw creation isn't full of bricks clipping or floating?

I don't know about LDraw but I know the LDD software won't let you make illegal connections.

...Most of the time anyways, still a few bugs here and there.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Does anyone have a resource for this? I guess what I'm looking for is like those furniture pics you sometimes see, only space-themed.

Holy crap I love that smug look. "Yeah, check out my awesome MOC furniture."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

Holy crap I love that smug look. "Yeah, check out my awesome MOC furniture."

I'd be smug too if I had a sweet-rear end gunchair.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Or another thrift store that actually gives money to charity.

Goodwill is charity. They help people find jobs and employ as many as they can. The money essentially goes to those two things.

It helps out a lot of people. :yum:

LEGO!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

InfinEight posted:

What chima sets have you guys been getting exactly? I might be glad to take one no one wants for the cost of shipping :shobon:

70113. I guess it's a $20 set? Wow.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Trent posted:

Goodwill is charity. They help people find jobs and employ as many as they can. The money essentially goes to those two things.

It helps out a lot of people. :yum:

It gives sorting jobs to mentally challenged people, so they can never give them a raise and have them work there forever. They also do fun stuff like promising raises that never come and making sure you work just a couple hours under what would be considered full time so they don't have to give you benefits. To clarify, I worked a donation center, not the sorting jobs.

At least that's how it was at the one I worked at. Maybe they're not all assholes / do enough charity to offset this, but I'm really not sure sure. Those ones I saw in NC sure had pretty fancy buildings, after all.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Light Gun Man posted:

It gives sorting jobs to mentally challenged people, so they can never give them a raise and have them work there forever. They also do fun stuff like promising raises that never come and making sure you work just a couple hours under what would be considered full time so they don't have to give you benefits. To clarify, I worked a donation center, not the sorting jobs.

At least that's how it was at the one I worked at. Maybe they're not all assholes / do enough charity to offset this, but I'm really not sure sure. Those ones I saw in NC sure had pretty fancy buildings, after all.

All companies in america do what you describe. Well, not all, but most.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but most companies don't do it while also telling everyone that they are a super rad charity that helps the community.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

smackfu posted:

70113. I guess it's a $20 set? Wow.

Nice, a good score for you that got them.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I have 32 chima sets.

Did you actually buy 25 B Wings?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

i81icu812 posted:

Did you actually buy 25 B Wings?

Yeah.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I realize you have a right to do that, and it's your money, etc. But...really?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I bought two and even thought that might be excessive. Different strokes! Also my wife would have killed me if I'd have bought $2500 worth of Lego sets.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Rage posted:

I bought two and even thought that might be excessive. Different strokes! Also my wife would have killed me if I'd have bought $2500 worth of Lego sets.

It's an "investment".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

obi_ant posted:

It's an "investment".

It's "scalping".

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

And here we didn't even get 10% off the price. If I'm honest I hope that everyone who stockpiled them ends up keeping them.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

The Rage posted:

I bought one because I knew I would eventually build it and I was tempted to buy it when it came out when it was $250 so it seemed silly to not buy it at 50% off.

As for people buying a bunch to resell it, apparently lego does care that people do that and have been banning people from S&H for doing it. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10381/banned-from-buying-from-lego-sh
You think with it being put for 50% off less than a year after it came out lego would want to sell them all quickly so it wouldn't care where they ended up. I bet they still made enough money at 50% off as well.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
How do you move a piece up and down in the Lego Digital Designer?

It sounds like such a dumb question but the only thing I've found is that Page Up/Down should work and they don't. Moving blocks up and down on the Z-axis is pretty critical for something like this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Merchant of Death posted:

As for people buying a bunch to resell it, apparently lego does care that people do that and have been banning people from S&H for doing it. http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/10381/banned-from-buying-from-lego-sh
You think with it being put for 50% off less than a year after it came out lego would want to sell them all quickly so it wouldn't care where they ended up. I bet they still made enough money at 50% off as well.
He says he's bought over a HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH OF LEGOS from them in the past two years. 50 grand or more a year. That's way more than your average reseller.

A few years ago when the Death Star 2 was on sale at 150 each(a third retail, I think) I bought three, one to keep, one to give to my dad as a birthday present since he loved Star Wars and model kits, and one to put away to resell to recoup the costs of the other two.

Instead, I wound up selling dad's since he said he didn't have the room for it when we discovered the drat thing was like the size of a beach ball, and I looked it up on Ebay and discovered it sold for over eight hundred dollars. So I sold the one I had bought too, since I honestly couldn't fit it myself either when it's that big, and they paid for half a month's mortgage and taking dad out for a fancy dinner for his birthday instead.

It's honestly a no-brainer to buy multiple cheap sets of a popular franchise for selling a year or two down the road. It's all so cute when people gnash their teeth about horrible people who buy cheap stuff as investments. I think cleaning out multiple locations is a bit excessive, though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

The Royal Scrub posted:

It sounds like such a dumb question but the only thing I've found is that Page Up/Down should work and they don't. Moving blocks up and down on the Z-axis is pretty critical for something like this.

Lego Digital Designer is bad at that. The easiest way I've found is just to build a "support" structure starting from the base level until the level you want, placing your piece, and then deleting the support.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

The Royal Scrub posted:

LDD is a bit special about things like this, the best way to do it is probably the support structure, but if youre looking to attach it to the bottom of a brick that is already there you can just look at the bottom of the model and slap the brick on like that.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Merchant of Death posted:

I bought one because I knew I would eventually build it and I was tempted to buy it when it came out when it was $250 so it seemed silly to not buy it at 50% off.

Yeah. Don't really care about reselling one way or another, just was wondering how serious LEGO is about enforcing shipping limits.

This set was actually an amazing parts pack after you sell off the promo polybag and the two promo Chima sets.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I know series 10 is still in full swing, but has anyone come across any early pics if series 11?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

DrChud posted:

I know series 10 is still in full swing, but has anyone come across any early pics if series 11?

Nope, they've done a better job at keeping them under wraps until their official announcement the last couple series. All we have right now is the color (medium green) and what figures there are:
Barbarian
Bavarian Lady
Constable
Diner Waitress
Evil Mech
Gingerbread Man
Grandma
Holiday Elf
Jazz Musician
Lady Robot
Mountain Climber
Scarecrow
Scientist
Tiki Warrior
Welder
Yeti

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Jesus have they ramped up the schedule for MFG series or something? Last year I swear I had at least a few months to buy them but it seems 9 and 10 went REALLY fast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just a heads up, I put a bigass bionicle set on ebay pretty cheap, I don't really know if it's that great for MOCs, as I've been out of the lego loop for a long time. I plan to start rebuilding stuff from my childhood like this thing that I still have the parts and instructions for, if people would be interested in seeing them go together.

Anyway, here is the ebay link in case anyone is interested. No bids yet!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ineptmule posted:

Jesus have they ramped up the schedule for MFG series or something? Last year I swear I had at least a few months to buy them but it seems 9 and 10 went REALLY fast.

No, it's stayed pretty steady at about 3 per year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, 10's over already? Jesus.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, 10's over already? Jesus.

Seems like they are starting to dry up. I need 3 more to complete my collection. Went to two Targets and a Walmart this weekend and found three empty displays. Going to hit another two Targets and Toys R Us tomorrow. Hopefully they have something I need. After that it's the Lego store or finishing my sets off of ebay.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ltr posted:

Seems like they are starting to dry up. I need 3 more to complete my collection. Went to two Targets and a Walmart this weekend and found three empty displays. Going to hit another two Targets and Toys R Us tomorrow. Hopefully they have something I need. After that it's the Lego store or finishing my sets off of ebay.

My local Fred Meyer had two cases left, they looked rather full, I felt through one of them, and it was entirely Mimes/Mechanics/Skydivers. Someone had pulled every other figure and just filled it with those three. Was ridiculous.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Nope, they've done a better job at keeping them under wraps until their official announcement the last couple series. All we have right now is the color (medium green) and what figures there are:
Barbarian
Bavarian Lady
Constable
Diner Waitress
Evil Mech
Gingerbread Man
Grandma
Holiday Elf
Jazz Musician
Lady Robot
Mountain Climber
Scarecrow
Scientist
Tiki Warrior
Welder
Yeti

So I am in a country where I can't purchase LEGO at all (hooray even Amazon for not shipping here...) but I would love to have a scientist figure. If anyone happens to come across a second one once series 11 comes out, I will happily buy it off of you!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pyroclastic posted:

Barbarian
Bavarian Lady
Constable
Diner Waitress
Evil Mech
Gingerbread Man
Grandma
Holiday Elf
Jazz Musician
Lady Robot
Mountain Climber
Scarecrow
Scientist
Tiki Warrior
Welder
Yeti

I have seen teaser pictures of a toy soldier - that one's not happening?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Red posted:

I have seen teaser pictures of a toy soldier - that one's not happening?

Huh, that one was supposed to be in Series 10, guess they swapped some out.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Apparently, that one comes with the LEGO Minifigures: Character Encyclopedia: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Toy_Soldier

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think those pictures were based on lists of new pieces Lego brings out every now and then. They were more speculative than anything. No soldier.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I've seen the toy soldier that comes with the encyclopedia, it's a pretty nice minifig and, while I wouldn't buy the book, the content is pretty good.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

The Rage posted:

My local Fred Meyer had two cases left, they looked rather full, I felt through one of them, and it was entirely Mimes/Mechanics/Skydivers. Someone had pulled every other figure and just filled it with those three. Was ridiculous.

The two Targets I went to were out(empty displays), found what I needed at Toys R Us. They had what looked like a mostly full box of series 10. A mother and son were picking through it looking for Mr. Gold but otherwise looked like it was not disturbed much. Grabbed what I needed and was gone in about five minutes.

So looks like Target, at least in my area, is pretty empty but Toy R Us may have some.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So much do I loath that skydiver, it's this series' Sour Quince Log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I loving hate what Mr. Gold did to CMF and to Lego in general.