Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

Okay, did anyone else watch the series as a teenager and come out of it feeling like it was a really satisfying ending? Because I watched it when I was 13 or so, liked it and it didn't cross my mind that anyone would have a problem with it until I started poking around on the internet a while later. In retrospect I can totally see how it threw people and why someone might not like it, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who just took it well at face value.

Honestly I can't remember what I thought of the ending right after it finished. I definitely don't recall feelings of anger, or extreme confusion. But... I think I just didn't have any idea what was going on, but really wanted to know what was going on. Which is probably why I ended up rewatching it like... five times (and I still don't get a lot of things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:raise:

I dunno man, if the second statement is accurate than we don't disagree about the important things.

You and I love the ending, but plenty of people don't. Even if you do, you have to admit its pretty drat crazy. When I say "good" I mean there isn't really a significant contingent of people who get up in arms about the ending. No matter what you think of the finales to the shows we've been discussing, a non insignificant number of people find them dissatisfying or unacceptable. Hence, Gainax's rep for "not being good at endings".

Anyway, I'm sure 4 will blow us away when it plumbs new depths of insanity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You and I love the ending, but plenty of people don't. Even if you do, you have to admit its pretty drat crazy. When I say "good" I mean there isn't really a significant contingent of people who get up in arms about the ending. No matter what you think of the finales to the shows we've been discussing, a non insignificant number of people find them dissatisfying or unacceptable. Hence, Gainax's rep for "not being good at endings".

I guess the only thing we're arguing about is whether that statement was definitely sarcasm or not.

We're twenty-six pages deep into an Evangelion thread, I think most of the people who hate the endings have already been filtered out. I won't be sure unless Safe and Secure! wants to clarify, but I'm a Gainax fan, I'm used to ambiguity. :v:

Nah. It became a joke after the fact, but even if there were a second season everything from (P&S spoilers) ... Mom? onwards would still work as parody.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't realize Gainax was a thing that had it's own quirks that permeate all the different shows it produces. Weird, but fitting.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

cafel posted:

Okay, did anyone else watch the series as a teenager and come out of it feeling like it was a really satisfying ending? Because I watched it when I was 13 or so, liked it and it didn't cross my mind that anyone would have a problem with it until I started poking around on the internet a while later. In retrospect I can totally see how it threw people and why someone might not like it, but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who just took it well at face value.

I felt really satisfied with it actually, I think the characters literally congratulating Shinji followed by the narrator congratulating children all over the world, it left me with this feeling of fulfillment for having finished the series.

Then I read stuff on the internet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ACanofPepsi posted:

I didn't realize Gainax was a thing that had it's own quirks that permeate all the different shows it produces. Weird, but fitting.

Gunbuster, FLCL and GL all bear some clear resemblances to Evangelion. Or rather, they all four of them have similarities in themes, plots and character personalities.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ACanofPepsi posted:

Go to YouTube and search "Inazuma Kick."

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gainax was special in that it was one of the first anime studios that was explicitly run and staffed by anime nerds who were all about catering to anime nerds. This literally goes all the way back to the Daicon animations, which were professional-level 4 minute animations referencing as much nerd poo poo as possible in a funny way. A lot of what western fans call "gainax quirks" are actually pop culture references to the things that the original gainax staff grew up with that westerners lack the context for - For example, the Inazuma Kick is a direct reference to Kamen Rider's iconic finishing move, the "Gainax pose" that shows up in all their mecha stuff is a reference to Getter Robo G rising out of the sea, and the evas themselves are a giant love letter to Ultraman, right down to the limited operating time that lasts exactly as long as the plot requires.

I should note that this doesn't lessen Gainax's works in any way (a lot of people for some reason see the common use of pop culture references as a bad thing, even though Gainax has never used them as a crutch,) but its important to understand why all these little things keep recurring.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

cafel posted:

I honestly can't remember. I remember watching EoE first (:v:), and I think my reaction to that was basically ":stare: Dude. I must acquire this series immediately." The series, though... I think I remember thinking the "lack of restrictions = lack of potential" thing was rather neat, but that's it.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

cafel posted:

I watched it when it first aired in Australia back in 1999 and I definitely remember being extremely confused by the last 2 episodes. You never see the fallout from Shinji killing Kaworu, you simply go straight to psychoanalysing the cast in a black room with a foldout chair. I don't think it was a particularly good decision to be honest, I have no idea why they thought they could get away with that. If NGE ended with episode 25-26 and EoE was never made I don't think the series would be remembered anywhere near as fondly as it is.

The reasons Evangelion was popular when it first aired have nothing to do with the reasons we're still discussing it today to be fair, it was just a really cool 'monster of the week' mecha show with some nice looking sci-fi elements, a shadowy cabal plotting some nefarious evil and a fair amount of gratuitous fanservice. The swing from that to the last 2 episodes would blindside anyone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The obvious problem with the TV ending was that it left a ton of interesting plot threads dangling in the wind. Who are SEELE, and what's the true relationship between them and NERV? Gendo's agenda has to do with Yui being imprisoned within Unit 01, but how exactly, and why does he think it will bring her back to life? And is Shinji actually fixing himself, or is he deliberately throwing himself into a meaningless happy land where nothing bad happens and all the cast have been transported into the most generic romcom harem show ever?

You get the impression that the first half of EoE, or some pared down variant thereof, was always intended to be in the show (and it has some great action), but the decision to completely humiliate the main character came about later.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Choosing to leave a lot of setting elements a mystery but focusing on the inner life of the characters explicitly tells you that the former are just part of the setup for the latter, which is the thing that really matters and you should be paying attention to it. I thought of it as a sort-of-filler ending on my first watch, since it did not even show the results of Shinji's resolution in the real world. But because the Angels were all dead anyway, I considered the 'plot' more or less solved already as far as Shinji was concerned, making it kind of a 'meh' ending but not really rage-inducing. Then I started actually paying attention to the series during one of the reruns and it was beautiful. Eva has been my favorite piece of animated fiction since.

And then, yes, the internet happened. It still surprises me to this day just how much people want their fiction to twist and bend to their own expectations instead of judging them by their own merits or even taking them at face value. Then they blame the fiction for not reading their minds, or as is more likely to be in this case, for daring to go against their expectations.

Now, the Gainax staff are tremendous nerds with an amazing level of attention to detail and made said world genuinely interesting, so the decision to not explain it at all is kind of a dick move. I would probably be a lot more frustrated at the franchise in general if they never released the red cross book or those videogames with the supposedly canon explanation of what the hell is even going on.

At the end of the day though, odds are the setting isn't what hooked you to Evangelion, it was likely a combination of action and characters. 25 and 26 only have the latter, but EoE has plenty of both. I would say it does just fine at playing to its strengths and delivering more of what it is good at. The whole meta-commentary aspect of both Endings is prominent enough to drown out the rest of Eva's themes to this day (as proven by more or less this entire thread), but it is ironically almost non-existent if you're just watching Evangelion casually. It is a bonus, a delicious bonus, but what you came here for was theoretically solved.

I kind of want to make a really tortured analogy about having an amazing main course and a really out there dessert that was more of an acquired taste by the end, but I can see that it is not going to be pretty and that this is already looking to be a loving lot of words about cartoons, drat.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually, that's a perfect analogy. First course is McDonalds, desert is some kind of molecular gastronomy.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Movies aren't food. Just throwing that out there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You jerk, for a moment I thought SMG was posting in an Evangelion thread. Don't get my hopes up like that! :argh:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Go and post a Rebuild thread in CD, I dare you.

I said come in! posted:

Rei is a really awesome character, I like it when her and Shinji interact with each other, and I want to know more about her background. I don't know what to make of Mari to be honest. I shouldn't ask for spoilers, but is Asuka coming back? :ohdear: I started to really like her character a lot by the time her Eva is taken out.

I'm pretty puzzled by Rei and Mari myself; I can't tell if either of them are as they appear. Glad you like Asuka though, as she isn't the easiest person in the world to like and yes, she's back in 3.33.

Phobophilia posted:

The obvious problem with the TV ending was that it left a ton of interesting plot threads dangling in the wind. Who are SEELE, and what's the true relationship between them and NERV? Gendo's agenda has to do with Yui being imprisoned within Unit 01, but how exactly, and why does he think it will bring her back to life? And is Shinji actually fixing himself, or is he deliberately throwing himself into a meaningless happy land where nothing bad happens and all the cast have been transported into the most generic romcom harem show ever?

A lot of the Angelic/conspiratorial aspects have a deliberately staged feel. Just like Second Impact. The Angels almost all appear from nowhere at a dramatic junction; characters talk about "the script"; there's so much doubletalk, religious namedropping, and ambiguous scenes that it's impossible to take seriously towards the end. That stuff's kind of interesting, but it's not Eva, it's a generic thriller. Probably Kaji is the hero instead of Shinji. It has a function, and it's deliberately not solved.

quote:

You get the impression that the first half of EoE, or some pared down variant thereof, was always intended to be in the show (and it has some great action), but the decision to completely humiliate the main character came about later.

It was! I'm not sure about Shinji finally breaking the sympathy barrier, but the general plot of EoE was determined before the series ended.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

There's short bits in the TV ending that suggest that the background story- the invasion of Nerv, the MPE battle, etc. were planned, but EoE reflects a variation on Shinji's story, specifically.

"Concurrency" is a pointless debate and that way lies debates over the precise mechanics of the shows metaphysics and arguments over made up fanon that's based on easter eggs in a dating sim.

Personally, I loathe the TV ending, as it has so little to say visually, whereas EoE is a feast for the eyes. There's meaning hidden in every frame, and all of the key scenes are intertwined with each other through visual motifs and allusions.

The TV ending is also less mature and more pat. It reflects the mindset of someone who's in that manic "I've solved philosophy and I know how to fix my depression now!" post epiphany high before the struggle to actualize the epiphany sets in. EoE is more realistic, and doesn't abandon all of the other themes that the series sets up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ACanofPepsi posted:

Check out the very beginnings of Gainax, where the guys who would go on to form it make the very first AMV as a video for a 1983 Osaka sci-fi convention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAICON_III_and_IV_Opening_Animations
There's so many cool references to various science fiction stories and a ton of little things that they still use in their own properties.

Plus: ELO :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

House Louse posted:

I would genuinely want to see this.

Get a mod to force a civil, deep discussion about it under threat of ban. It would be hilarious.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Giggily posted:

Which seems to be negated in the Rebuilds. I remember in an episode of the original series they were making a big deal out of cross compatibility for pilots and Evangelions, and that only Rei and Kaworu were able to do it. But, in the Rebuilds, it seems like anybody can hop into any Evangelion and it just works. I wonder if this will ever be explained.

The Rebuilds make me very confused.

It is a big deal in the series as the pilots and Evas are keyed to each other due to the souls in the cores of Evas. Rebuild has only established Yui being in Unit-01 and nothing else has been said/shown for the other Evas in that regard yet.

Zahki posted:

I watched it when it first aired in Australia back in 1999 and I definitely remember being extremely confused by the last 2 episodes. You never see the fallout from Shinji killing Kaworu, you simply go straight to psychoanalysing the cast in a black room with a foldout chair. I don't think it was a particularly good decision to be honest, I have no idea why they thought they could get away with that. If NGE ended with episode 25-26 and EoE was never made I don't think the series would be remembered anywhere near as fondly as it is.

It's not really that they thought they could get away with it, it is that they had no other options: the studio had run out of money, time, and had to trash a lot of completed work due to the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack, ...

Phobophilia posted:

... a gas attack that might have been meant to happen in the final episodes. But since Eva is about a shadow group work to bring with end of the world with Christian overtones, they rewrote the final episodes when a cult with Christian overtones of the end of the world was gassing people.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Captain Invictus posted:

I would genuinely want to see this.

Get a mod to force a civil, deep discussion about it under threat of ban. It would be hilarious.

I have an almost Koos-level obsession with getting SMG to talk about Evangelion. It would be glorious.

The Riddle of Feel posted:

There's short bits in the TV ending that suggest that the background story- the invasion of Nerv, the MPE battle, etc. were planned, but EoE reflects a variation on Shinji's story, specifically.

"Concurrency" is a pointless debate and that way lies debates over the precise mechanics of the shows metaphysics and arguments over made up fanon that's based on easter eggs in a dating sim.

Personally, I loathe the TV ending, as it has so little to say visually, whereas EoE is a feast for the eyes. There's meaning hidden in every frame, and all of the key scenes are intertwined with each other through visual motifs and allusions.

The TV ending is also less mature and more pat. It reflects the mindset of someone who's in that manic "I've solved philosophy and I know how to fix my depression now!" post epiphany high before the struggle to actualize the epiphany sets in. EoE is more realistic, and doesn't abandon all of the other themes that the series sets up.

Eh, I'll bite. In my personal opinion, EoE abandons the attempt at resolving the themes that the series sets up in an attempt to literally "end" the thing that is Eva. The theme, at least as I see it, is the importance of communication; internal and external. Communication kills, it hurts, it betrays, but it's necessary. Bringing about perfect communication is the surface ideal of Instrumentality until it shifts into oblivion halfway through the series. The last two episodes are all about perfect communication. They're communicating with each other, with themselves, and with real people. The characters are working through their issues vis a vis a shattered fourth wall Instrumentality and the creators working through the issues of making Eva vis a vis a purposefully desperate projection of the show's core. It's not like there isn't precedent for that sort of thing with GAINAX; they made Gunbuster's ending more expensive to do the black and white sequences. With Eva, the cases and the weird animation bits are an explanation of what is, what was and what could have been to both the audience, the characters and themselves. It's active deconstruction of itself that doesn't come off as completely masturbatory (to me). That's like performing successful open heart surgery on yourself and I will always respect it for that.

EoE, on the other hand, is a well-put together movie, but it is a middle finger to the fans. Especially taking into account some of the stuff that got cut out. Since the message and the messengers are also fans, it feels like a middle finger to itself. The imagery dances on the line between shocking and puerile (it is way too easy to joke about the hospital scene and the sexual allusions within Instrumentality). It also doesn't really say anything that the series didn't, just harsher and with ultrasex/hyperviolence. The main thing that separates it from the end of the series is the last scene and it basically exists in a vacuum. It's an amazing shot in a vacuum and people have probably driven themselves mad trying to justify it with their own views of Eva and the series as a whole, but to me, it isn't mature. It isn't realistic. It's just sort of there. It's sort of there because Shinji clutching Rei's severed arm was too mean-spirited and Yukio Okamura couldn't hit the line "As if I'd be killed by the likes of you" well enough to satisfy Anno. So that scene is a compromise. A good enough. And "good enough" isn't good enough when it's the capital-E End of Evangelion. Saying that's mature always feels like conflating "edgy" or "grim" with mature to me.

Any teenager can see and say the world sucks, it takes deftness and maturity to explore, acknowledge and move past that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MadRhetoric posted:

Eh, I'll bite. In my personal opinion, EoE abandons the attempt at resolving the themes that the series sets up in an attempt to literally "end" the thing that is Eva. The theme, at least as I see it, is the importance of communication; internal and external. Communication kills, it hurts, it betrays, but it's necessary. Bringing about perfect communication is the surface ideal of Instrumentality until it shifts into oblivion halfway through the series. The last two episodes are all about perfect communication. They're communicating with each other, with themselves, and with real people. The characters are working through their issues vis a vis a shattered fourth wall Instrumentality and the creators working through the issues of making Eva vis a vis a purposefully desperate projection of the show's core. It's not like there isn't precedent for that sort of thing with GAINAX; they made Gunbuster's ending more expensive to do the black and white sequences. With Eva, the cases and the weird animation bits are an explanation of what is, what was and what could have been to both the audience, the characters and themselves. It's active deconstruction of itself that doesn't come off as completely masturbatory (to me). That's like performing successful open heart surgery on yourself and I will always respect it for that.

EoE, on the other hand, is a well-put together movie, but it is a middle finger to the fans. Especially taking into account some of the stuff that got cut out. Since the message and the messengers are also fans, it feels like a middle finger to itself. The imagery dances on the line between shocking and puerile (it is way too easy to joke about the hospital scene and the sexual allusions within Instrumentality). It also doesn't really say anything that the series didn't, just harsher and with ultrasex/hyperviolence. The main thing that separates it from the end of the series is the last scene and it basically exists in a vacuum. It's an amazing shot in a vacuum and people have probably driven themselves mad trying to justify it with their own views of Eva and the series as a whole, but to me, it isn't mature. It isn't realistic. It's just sort of there. It's sort of there because Shinji clutching Rei's severed arm was too mean-spirited and Yukio Okamura couldn't hit the line "As if I'd be killed by the likes of you" well enough to satisfy Anno. So that scene is a compromise. A good enough. And "good enough" isn't good enough when it's the capital-E End of Evangelion. Saying that's mature always feels like conflating "edgy" or "grim" with mature to me.

Any teenager can see and say the world sucks, it takes deftness and maturity to explore, acknowledge and move past that.
I agree with a whole lot of this. The TV ending felt like it had earnest hopes for the audience to be receptive to its message, while EoE feels like an exasperated attempt to re-explain it by someone maybe about to run out of patience and hoping shock therapy will work. And trying to fit "One More Finale" into everything really does complicate the entire endeavor in such a way that I've never felt like I've pulled it off.

What's the bit about Rei's severed arm and Yukio Okamura, though? Searching for the latter just turns up a bunch of Ao No Exorcist stuff.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
After weeks of finals and just plain not being in the mood to watch something potentially depressing, I finally sat down and watched "3.33" last night. I think I'm going to echo a lot of goons' opinions on this one, and I'll keep this brief without going into too much detail. The quieter scenes between Shinji, Kawarou, and Fuyutski I thought worked really well, as did the shots of the abandoned NERV headquarters, and this overriding, so-all-pervasive-it-becomes-hilarious theme that Shinji fucks up everything in the most spectacular and deadly ways possible. The sound and set design were spectacular, and the animation clearly had a lot of well-spent money and effort put into it. The weird imagery was pure EVA. From a purely technical standpoint, this is a hugely impressive movie.

I still found the movie very frustrating however. Even though its about the same length as the first movie, it felt extremely short, and the scripting was off, as if there was a very abrupt decision to make this movie tell only the first half of a story. The first and second movies felt more structured and focused.

Also, I am utterly confused about one thing in particular. Was the tease at the end of 2.22 done intentionally to completely subvert everyone's expectations or did they up and abandon what they had planned for the third movie and just do a completely different story?

EDIT: So it worked in the same way a 'Next Time on "Arrested Development"' worked?
v v v v v

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 27, 2013

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

Also, I am utterly confused about one thing in particular. Was the tease at the end of 2.22 done intentionally to completely subvert everyone's expectations or did they up and abandon what they had planned for the third movie and just do a completely different story?

There've been rumors to the effect that 3.0 had a huge rewrite, so yes. Although at least part of the teaser still sort of works if you interpret it as happening between movies - Unit 6 descending on Dogma and Nerv staff's incarceration in particular.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Just finished 2.22 and 3.33 a few days ago, then read through this thread. I loved 2.22, and it got me all amped up for 3.33, but then I just spent the whole third movie going :wtc:. I get that we're supposed to be in the same boat as Shinji, suddenly appearing in the third movie after the second with no idea what happened, but it's really, really frustrating. I also feel like the pacing was off somehow in 3.33; in my mind, there was an action scene at the beginning with a big airship full of people that I don't really care about, a bunch of expository scenes in the middle that I didn't really mind because it was the closest the movie got to explaining anything (plus Kaworu :swoon: ) and then a final action scene with that loving ship again. I've never been one for action scenes though, and I get bored and my mind turns off, so I missed some of the stuff about the lances and Eva 06 that would've helped out a lot.

Anyway, some cool things I noticed that I don't know if anyone has pointed out yet:

I saw this on the evageeks page someone linked earlier:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/images/4/44/Tank_image_25a_report.jpg

Read the actual text. It's about their Daicon 3 video :3:

http://i.imgur.com/82l431W.png

"Deification Shutdown System" made me bust out laughing at first. In the context of the universe it probably makes sense to develop a whole system just in case someone ascends to a higher form, but it just made me imagine Misato standing there with her trigger going "JUST TRY TO BECOME GOD, I DARE YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!"

Which leads me to a question: Shinji had apparently been chilling in the entry plug of Unit 01 for 14 years, why did they decide to try to salvage him when they knew that best case scenario he would sit around the Wunder being emo, and at worst would destroy the world again? Seems like Unit 01 was functioning just fine with him in there. I suppose in 4.44 it'll turn out he's the key to the universe or some poo poo.

Honestly, I think the biggest, best troll possible would be if 4.44 tied the entire rebuild series up in a nice package with everything explained and no loose ends, and ends on a shot of Shinji and Asuka posing for a family portrait with their kids :v:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

http://i.imgur.com/82l431W.png

"Deification Shutdown System" made me bust out laughing at first. In the context of the universe it probably makes sense to develop a whole system just in case someone ascends to a higher form, but it just made me imagine Misato standing there with her trigger going "JUST TRY TO BECOME GOD, I DARE YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!"

Even funnier when you accidentally read it as Defecation Shutdown System

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Rebuild is speculated to be following a particular structure from Japanese theater, Jo-ha-kyu:

He described the first act as "Love"; the play opens auspiciously, using gentle themes and pleasant music to draw in the attention of the audience. The second act is described as "Warriors and Battles" (shura). Though it need not contain actual battle, it is generally typified by heightened tempo and intensity of plot. The third act, the climax of the entire play, is typified by pathos and tragedy. The plot achieves its dramatic climax. Takemoto describes the fourth act as a michiyuki (journey), which eases out of the intense drama of the climactic act, and often consists primarily of song and dance rather than dialogue and plot. The fifth act, then, is a rapid conclusion. All loose ends are tied up, and the play returns to an auspicious setting.

If that's the case, then yes, there will be a sudden resolution, though I doubt we're ever going to Evangelion media produced by Anno himself that depicts Shinji in a romantic relationship with anyone.

The way I see it 1.0 was a prettified version of the original six episodes with a few changes that hint at what's to come (The Eva doesn't shield Shinji from the falling lights, despite our attention being drawn to them, Misato knows about Lilith -if it is Lilith- and shows Shinji, etc). 2.0-3.0-4.0 will form a trilogy that branches off from the original in significant ways, with the trilogy structure. 2.0 sets the stage (demonstrating the differences from the setting we're accustomed to) and establishes the main conflict, 3.0 develops it and brings the protagonist to his lowest point, and 4.0 will be the climax and denoument.

Rebuild is much more heavily rooted in the conflict between Shinji and Gendo (hence the change in last names- Yui is no longer the "anchor", Gendo is, everything centers on him, and depending on how it's written Ikari can mean both "anger" and "anchor"- so I would expect some kind of direct confrontation between them, which never really happens in the television show; they sort of float apart and never really interact in the ending. The antagonism between father and son is treated as one of the many roots of Shinji's depression within the show, but it's the main driver of everything going on here.

I haven't watched 3.0 yet, but the mere fact that it incorporates so much EoE imagery indicates an intent to move past EoE and develop an ending that stands apart from the bleak and contradictory statement of One More Final. The ending of Rebuild may expand on certain elements from the show that were dropped in the hasty ending it received, and 3.0 smacks as a way of setting up an addition to EoE without making an updated, prettier copy of it ala 1.0

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

House Louse posted:

There already is one

Terminal Entropy posted:

It's not really that they thought they could get away with it, it is that they had no other options: the studio had run out of money, time, and had to trash a lot of completed work due to the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack, ...

... a gas attack that might have been meant to happen in the final episodes. But since Eva is about a shadow group work to bring with end of the world with Christian overtones, they rewrote the final episodes when a cult with Christian overtones of the end of the world was gassing people.
You know, that would make a lot of sense. It would be a lot easier to attack an underground base with gas rather than just going in and shooting as in EoE. Nikita also had a VX nerve agent Sword of Damocles hanging over the cast for several episodes for a similar reason.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 28, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't dislike any of those endings. :shrug:

I think the only one I dislike is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

There already is one

You know, that would make a lot of sense. It would be a lot easier to attack an underground base with gas rather than just going in and shooting as in EoE. Nikita also had a VX nerve agent Sword of Damocles hanging over the cast for several episodes for a similar reason.

There is a scene in one of the episodes where Misato is driving through a tunnel while a news report talks about a terrorist gas attack is playing on the radio.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MadRhetoric posted:

I have an almost Koos-level obsession with getting SMG to talk about Evangelion. It would be glorious.

If Ebert could watch Ghost in the Shell and give it a review, SMG can watch Evangelion and talk about what readings he gets out of it.

I think he'd enjoy doing it, too, if it wasn't for the whole "gently caress anime" thing going on (which I can kind of understand, because I like a couple anime shows, but damnit if most anime fans don't creep me right out).

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I finally watched 3.33 last night. I had downloaded the camrip version way back, but forced myself not to watch the movie until the higher quality video was available. Watching the camrip felt like they would be an insult to the movie.

It left me with a lot of questions, of course. I enjoyed the confusion the timeskip caused. The whole scene is meant to draw in the viewers. We're in the exact same situation as Shinji- 14 years have passed? What? What's going on, and why won't anyone explain anything, for God's sake? That alone was a brilliant decision that whet my appetite to find out what would happen through the movie. It's a little incredulous at first, knowing that if they were to explain things, it could prevent later issues from arising. I choose to believe their angst and guilt prevents them from saying anything. It sounds like an easy thing to do in text, but to bring up sordid memories on the spot and to explain them to the person who potentially caused it all could numb the soul.

I was expecting the movie to end rather abruptly, honestly. Like the way Rebirth is the first half of EoE and the movie ends right as poo poo hits the fan with Asuka. I'm thankful that it wasn't nearly as abrupt, but unlike 1.11 and 2.22, it felt as though absolutely no problem was "solved." To be fair, I expected something like this to happen- months back, I had essentially heard that the film is "gently caress You, Shinji: the Movie." It definitely lived up to that expectation. The entire movie is frustrating from a viewer's standpoint because, atleast in my eyes, Shinji is a likeable character. He's kind and he has the best intentions, and so I would like him to succeed. Then I hear that all of his actions in 2.22 essentially hosed the planet and Rei, his sole reason for being the catalyst of Third Impact, is MIA. I imagine this helplessness is intentionally thrust upon the viewer though, so I have to say that it's working as intended.

It is, however, something that has no resolution in this movie. The first two movies had conflicts with satisfying resolutions, but I did not find 3.33 to follow the same flow. It really is just setting things up for 4.44, for better or for worse. In many ways, it is like the Empire Strikes Back. Ultimately, we are left with not exactly a "victory," but a tactical retreat to prepare for what comes next. They're definitely setting themselves up for a big payoff with 4.44, for better or worse. I really hope they can handle it.

I also spent the past two nights reading over the thread, so thanks for giving me something to read. Brings me back to old times. I don't really watch much anime these days outside of Toonami, so this is the exception. Good to see that Tuxedo Catfish is an Utena fan though. :3:

I'm using spoiler tags in the best way I can think of while not alienating anyone who hasn't seen it yet, so if I've missed anything that could be really spoiling for 3.33, please let me know and I'll edit it out.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

The Grimace posted:

I had essentially heard that the film is "gently caress You, Shinji: the Movie."

I think of it more as Shinji Fucks Up: the Movie.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

The Grimace posted:

It left me with a lot of questions, of course. I enjoyed the confusion the timeskip caused. The whole scene is meant to draw in the viewers. [spoiler]We're in the exact same situation as Shinji- 14 years have passed? What? What's going on, and why won't anyone explain anything, for God's sake?

I wonder skip isn't suppose to reflect on the franchise as a whole as well. Time has past since the fist run of the series and there are still a lot more questions and nobody is really answering them completely, leaving everything "up in the air".

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
So has anyone seen a particular fancomic (black and white, only a couple pages) that basically ran with the idea of Shinji as a super-confident giant robo anime style character? I've been looking around for it forever but it's a really hard thing to search around for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not the one where he's all "hey bitches :smug:" and "gently caress yeah pops let's do this thing, gimme some skin", is it?

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not the one where he's all "hey bitches :smug:" and "gently caress yeah pops let's do this thing, gimme some skin", is it?

It could very well be. I haven't actually seen it in over a year. I remember one part where they're like "oh no we need you to pilot this robot Shinji!" and he's all "HELL YEAH LETS SAVE THE DAY"

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Captain Frigate posted:

It could very well be. I haven't actually seen it in over a year. I remember one part where they're like "oh no we need you to pilot this robot Shinji!" and he's all "HELL YEAH LETS SAVE THE DAY"

Is this the one?

edit: Oh black and white? Guess not then, though it's pretty much the same idea.

Zahki fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 30, 2013

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

Yeah that's not it. It was a short series (or at least I only ever saw a few pages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Honestly, I think the biggest, best troll possible would be if 4.44 tied the entire rebuild series up in a nice package with everything explained and no loose ends, and ends on a shot of Shinji and Asuka posing for a family portrait with their kids :v:

You know, actually I would LOVE this. Just so I can go "oh yeah, that show was quite a ride, but it's over now, let's rekindle the good moments for 5 more minutes and then go on with our loving lives".

Seriously, I have been paying attention to the show, to the various movies, to the manga, to all the crackpot theories people have been making all these years, and while I still laugh my rear end off to some of the jokes or fanart, I want it to end. I mean, hardcore fans will still discuss it for the years to come (hopefully as "the greatest troll ever conceived by human mind"), but everything has to end at some point, right?

Also I know I'm way too emotionally involved in the show to even think this, but I kinda wants those poor kids to be happy. They have gotten shat on by the whole universe way enough as it is, give them some time to heal and be happy Anno, seriously man.

Once this is done though, I will no poo poo buy a plane ticket to Japan and murder the first rear end in a top hat who tries to make a remake/alternate universe story/anything because seriously.