Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

beatlegs posted:

I'm not white knighting Hayes or anything, although I think he's an excellent journalist, but I always thought punchability was primarily about offensiveness/horrible policy positions and looks were sort of a secondary aspect.

When we like someone, we automatically seek out qualities in their faces that let us forgive their faults or that are positive. A John Merick will have us seeking the little bit of humanity in his eyes poking out from the mess of twisted flesh.

Meanwhile an attractive woman hired to Fox for her looks and her ability to parrot horrible right-wing extremist positions might as well be a crazed wild-eyed deadite from Evil Dead, wearing the attractive young flesh of a tortured soul. (Now you know what a bizarre sometimes alien experience TV news watching can be for someone like myself.) Or if you want to get more specific, the otherwise all right looking Michelle Bachmann has us very often unnerved by her wide-eyed glare; we'd forgive this visual fault of her if she were compassionate in her actions, and not a horrible hate-mongering right wing christian dominionist whose family business makes money off of exploiting tortured gay people. We automatically read her face as crazy - she almost seems to wear her deluded denial and false nature on her sleeve. Or rather, her phony fake reptillian smiles and glazed-over eyes.

There's also something to be said about certain facial qualities of falsehood or insanity or whatever showing up with age or being present in the tics in a person's face. We can see when someone is lying if they are making small scientific micro-expressions that give away their false nature. There's also clinical qualities to look for that demonstrate symptoms of mental illness, or other states of altered psychology even if the person isn't necessarily insane. (For example, seeing through a sociopath's superficial charm.) Furthermore - in aged people, wrinkles and skin wear also can demonstrate over time what type of a person someone is - someone who is very negative will have scowling wrinkles, but someone who is positive will have lots of laugh lines and wrinkles of genuine "true" smiles. (As opposed to wrinkles created by fake smiling all the time.) With stuff like this considered, it isn't as cut and dry as us passing judgement based on our visual impression/opinion of someone's general makeup. But that is a major factor.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Bloodplay it again posted:

But, hey, at least she went to a good school. I went to EIU and I think maybe 5% of the students can name all three branches of US government. :v:

Good sir, I attended EIU and I can name all three branches of government. Judicial, Legislative and Tony Romo.

I was raised and still live in Southern Illinois but I know of many parents who worry about their children going to UIUC because they believe it will turn their children into liberals. They are torn because on one side there is the "liberalization" of higher education and on the other side is the "prestige" still held with a UIUC diploma.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Isn't this a pretty common trope among conservatives? "Liebrul commie professors brainwashing our kids :freep:"?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Azuth0667 posted:

What the gently caress, who did this :psyduck:?

quote:

Who May Nominate Candidates for the Peace Prize?

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

Members of national assemblies and governments of states

• Members of international courts

University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes

• Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

• Board members of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

• Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1)

• Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee

It's not hard to be nominated for the Nobel Prize, actually, literally thousands of nominations are sent in every year.

Source

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

platedlizard posted:

It's not hard to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, actually, literally thousands of nominations are sent in every year.

Source

I know it's super loving pedantic, but the Peace Prize has no relation to the actual Nobel Prize.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ErIog posted:

I know it's super loving pedantic, but the Peace Prize has no relation to the actual Nobel Prize.

What is the actual Nobel Prize at this point? Apparently the Peace and Economics prizes are both pseudo Nobels?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

ErIog posted:

You'll have to explain it to me, because everything I can find on it treats the nomination process the same for everything. Unless there are two Nobel Peace Prizes out there or something?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Azuth0667 posted:

For his advocacy of DDT use, if I recall correctly. He is ardenly against the (non-existant) global DDT ban and thinks we can solve malaria by using DDT in all jungle areas (it's already used everywhere it can be, but mosquitoes have evolved to resist it now)

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

What is the actual Nobel Prize at this point? Apparently the Peace and Economics prizes are both pseudo Nobels?

I don't know what they're talking about, but the Nobel Peace Prize was one of the five original prizes set up by Alfred Nobel, the only difference is it's the only one whose committee isn't Swedish. Nobel specifically requested a Norwegian committee for it, though. I mean, it's definitely a silly prize that often gets given to people that don't really deserve it at all, but it's just as much a Nobel Prize as the other four.

Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, and Literature were the other four set up by Nobel; Economics was set up 60 years after the fact, yeah.

Idran fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 30, 2013

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Goatman Sacks posted:

For his advocacy of DDT use, if I recall correctly. He is ardenly against the (non-existant) global DDT ban and thinks we can solve malaria by using DDT in all jungle areas (it's already used everywhere it can be, but mosquitoes have evolved to resist it now)

I don't get it because he advocates for a notorious organochlorine insecticide he gets a nomination? Do they not take into account horrible xenophobia and war advocacy?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

platedlizard posted:

You'll have to explain it to me, because everything I can find on it treats the nomination process the same for everything. Unless there are two Nobel Peace Prizes out there or something?

The nomination processes for Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine all say that only people who have received requests from the board to submit names for nominations may submit them. The Literature prize is similar, but they also take unsolicited nominations from qualified people.

Peace Prize nominations are most similar to Literature, but it's a hell of a lot more open.

Rygar201 posted:

It looks like I was mistaken about this too, and they're actually a lot more closely linked than I had thought. Economics isn't quite legitimate because it isn't one of the 5 that Nobel asked to be given out in his will. While Peace is one of those, he left the handling of it up to Norwegian parliament which makes the entire process very political. The other prizes are all handled by Swedish Royal Academies or Institutes.

I don't really know why I thought they were so separate. I may have been getting the Peace prize confused with the Economics one as far as which ones were laid out in the will and which ones weren't.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't this a pretty common trope among conservatives? "Liebrul commie professors brainwashing our kids :freep:"?

Yes. And public school teachers. Right now in Michigan some Republican state reps are opposing establishing statewide educational standards because it's an attempt at UN indoctrination or something something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Azuth0667 posted:

Probably a proto-tea party congressman.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

And Beavis and Butthead... well sort of.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2010/1/beavis-butthead-rush-limbaugh-parody-1655418

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
As long as we're talking about Rush and the 90's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpFO4MwHUQ

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

ErIog posted:

The nomination processes for Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine all say that only people who have received requests from the board to submit names for nominations may submit them. The Literature prize is similar, but they also take unsolicited nominations from qualified people.

Peace Prize nominations are most similar to Literature, but it's a hell of a lot more open.

It looks like I was mistaken about this too, and they're actually a lot more closely linked than I had thought. Economics isn't quite legitimate because it isn't one of the 5 that Nobel asked to be given out in his will. While Peace is one of those, he left the handling of it up to Norwegian parliament which makes the entire process very political. The other prizes are all handled by Swedish Royal Academies or Institutes.

I don't really know why I thought they were so separate. I may have been getting the Peace prize confused with the Economics one as far as which ones were laid out in the will and which ones weren't.

Thanks, I was really confused because they have the same official webpage, so I was wondering if you were saying they were being run by different organizations or something.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I don't know if this came before or after his own late night show, but for the 10 or so days Pat Sajack (Himself a right wing nut job) had a late night show he invited Rush to fill in for him one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK4byQkn7w

Spoiler Alert: it doesn't go well for 'ol Rusty.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I could have sworn the talk has been that the Sajak show event actually is what catapulted him through a larger threshold of public awareness, despite his existing radio popularity.

I wonder if there is some alternate reality where no one from the audience started to flip out at him, resulting in him not having the ability to present himself as a polarizing figure as much as he did within a few years.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Didn't know about the transcriber. You ever wonder if the transcriber is being totally honest? Like, as an explanation for some of his loopier statements?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rockopolis posted:

Didn't know about the transcriber. You ever wonder if the transcriber is being totally honest? Like, as an explanation for some of his loopier statements?

There was never a man less disabled by deafness than Limbaugh. He does not really need to hear others in order to bloviate. His producer could just hold up a legal pad with "GAYS" or "OBAMACARE" written on it in Sharpie and his listeners would not be able to tell the difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's actually a good point. I was going to aim for the "God is cruel and didn't make him mute", but that's good.

I would rather have Rush do a show completely using teletype, though.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I could have sworn the talk has been that the Sajak show event actually is what catapulted him through a larger threshold of public awareness, despite his existing radio popularity.

I wonder if there is some alternate reality where no one from the audience started to flip out at him, resulting in him not having the ability to present himself as a polarizing figure as much as he did within a few years.

Even if Sajak had prescreened the audience it would have happened elsewhere. Rush's abilities as an "entertainer" are wildly exaggerated by fans of his ideology. What he is, is the best at what he does....but that doesn't have a very wide appeal.

When the GOP decided to go full retard after the 08 election you would hope at least someone in the room thought it might not be the best idea in the world to kowtow openly to a man that has been an absolute train wreck every single time he's exposed himself to a mass audience outside the bubble.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Azuth0667 posted:

It's not particularly difficult:

quote:

Who May Nominate Candidates for the Peace Prize?

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

• Members of national assemblies and governments of states

• Members of international courts

• University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes

• Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

• Board members of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize

• Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1)

• Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/nomination/#nominators

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Fox News host John Stossel: "Think about the [Great] Depression. That was before there was any welfare state at all. How many people starved? No one."

It's amazing how some people in this country have such a poor grasp on its history.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Not surprising, John Stossel is literally Ron Burgundy according to my wife who interned for ABC as an associate producer while he was there. He's also a huge perv apparently according to some of her other stories about him. This really doesn't add anything to this story but hopefully now when you see him you'll think of Will Ferrell and laugh.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Those lines were actually for a new kind of bread that was just super popular.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

You're right Stossel, the Great Depression did occur when there was very little to no welfare state, while the New Deal was the beginning of larger public works projects and social benefits. I wonder what I should make of that fact :allears:

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

quote:

But in New York City in 1931, there were 20 known cases of starvation; in 1934, there were 110 deaths caused by hunger. There were so many accounts of people starving in New York that the West African nation of Cameroon sent $3.77 in relief.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Pellagra was studied mostly in Europe until the late 19th century when it became an epidemic especially in the southern United States.[9] In the early 1900s, pellagra reached epidemic proportions in the American South. Between 1906 and 1940 more than 3 million Americans were affected by pellagra with more than 100,000 deaths, yet the epidemic resolved itself right after dietary niacin fortification.[10] Pellagra deaths in South Carolina numbered 1,306 during the first ten months of 1915; 100,000 Southerners were affected in 1916. At this time, the scientific community held that pellagra was probably caused by a germ or some unknown toxin in corn.[11] The Spartanburg Pellagra Hospital in Spartanburg, South Carolina, was the nation's first facility dedicated to discovering the cause of pellagra. It was established in 1914 with a special congressional appropriation to the U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) and set up primarily for research. In 1915, Joseph Goldberger, assigned to study pellagra by the Surgeon General of the United States, showed it was linked to diet by inducing the disease in prisoners, using the Spartanburg Pellagra Hospital as his clinic. By 1926, Goldberger established that a balanced diet or a small amount of brewer's yeast[12] prevented pellagra.

Goldberger experimented on 11 prisoners. Before the experiment, the prisoners were eating fruits and vegetables from the prison garden. Goldberger started feeding them only corn. About two weeks into the experiment, the prisoners complained of headaches, confusion, and loss of appetite. In the third week, seven of the 11 broke out in pellagra, and two prisoners begged for release. Goldberger cured them, feeding them fruits and vegetables again, and gave them their freedom. In 1920’s he connected pellagra to the diet of rural areas with corn-based diets rather than infection, contrary to the common medical ideas of that time.[13][14] Despite all his efforts few physicians took up his ideas due to necessity of social reform, especially in the land system of that time, which led to many avoidable deaths and stereotypes.[15] Goldberger is remembered as the "unsung hero of American clinical epidemiology".[16] However, he failed to identify a specific element whose absence caused pellagra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

quote:

Goldberger spent the rest of his life (he died of cancer in 1929) trying to identify the specific Pellagra Preventive nutritional elemnt. After the stock market crash of 1929, the Great Depression drove many people into unemployment and poverty. Eugenic beliefs in social success as an indicator of hereditary quality were undermined by the national economic catastrophe. Government food relief programs and the manufacture of enriched flour all but eradicated pellagra. The disease is now known to be caused by a deficiency in the Pellagra Preventive element, now known as niacin. As the following table demonstrates, however, deaths from pellagra continued to rise after 1915. It was the widespread poverty of the Depression that led to the policy changes that eradicated pellagra in the United States (and other developed countries).

http://www.oralchelation.com/ingred/B3.htm

For more information, see http://www.jmcgowan.com/pellagra.pdf

Basically hundreds of thousands of Americans died due to malnutrition prior to the intervention of the U.S. government to mandate the fortification of flour with niacin, which wasn't completed till the 1940's.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

John Stossel is totally eligible for a shitload of government benefits like disability, and I am sure they are real and need to be cut. Also, commerce and agriculture just happen, we don't need so called "Departments" for that poo poo. Next you'll tell me we have a Environment agency, and the environment was totally fine for millions of years without that mess, so get rid of that too man.

I did like how he went to the street and showed all of 2 reactions to how we should cut the debt. Wonder how many people he asked that had real answers that he had to cut out.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Four in ten house holds now have a female bread winner?

A sign of social change and equality in the work place?

NO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kORINpVUEtE

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Whiteycar posted:

NO!

Man, so many :biotruths: being dropped here!

quote:

When you look at biology, look at the natural world, the roles of a male and female in society, and the other animals, the male typically is the dominant role. The female, it's not antithesis, or it's not competing, it's a complimentary role. We as people in a smart society have lost the ability to have complimentary relationships in nuclear families, and it's tearing us apart.

Wow! Look at all that science truth!

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Whiteycar posted:

NO!

These aren't men, they're whiny bitches.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

Man, so many :biotruths: being dropped here!

Wow! Look at all that science truth!

They don't actually know anything about nature, do they.

The glorious Bald Eagle, Symbol of 'Merkia's Freedom, would like to have a word. :911:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

platedlizard posted:

They don't actually know anything about nature, do they.

The glorious Bald Eagle, Symbol of 'Merkia's Freedom, would like to have a word. :911:

The only thing about nature they need to know is that man strong, woman weak! :mrapig:

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Whiteycar posted:

Erickson not only asks viewers to look to animals for moral guidance, but is also completely wrong about how sex operates in the animal kingdom. :psyduck:

He is in danger of forming a quantum singularity of error.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Rush's abilities as an "entertainer" are wildly exaggerated by fans of his ideology. What he is, is the best at what he does....but that doesn't have a very wide appeal.

So what you're saying is that Rush Limbaugh is the conservative talk radio version of Wolverine. We need to do something about this mutant menace.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Plexiwatt posted:

Erickson not only asks viewers to look to animals for moral guidance, but is also completely wrong about how sex operates in the animal kingdom. :psyduck:

He is in danger of forming a quantum singularity of error.

We should introduce him to the male anglerfish, aka the one that gets absorbed into the female. Or the female lioness, who does all the hunting and gets soaked in blood and poo poo and is generally metal as hell.

Or maybe go a bit simpler. I'm sure they've heard of the black widow spider.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

We should introduce him to the male anglerfish, aka the one that gets absorbed into the female. Or the female lioness, who does all the hunting and gets soaked in blood and poo poo and is generally metal as hell.

Or maybe go a bit simpler. I'm sure they've heard of the black widow spider.

Or you know, bears. Not like "mama bear" is synonmous with being large, angry, and violent at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Protocol 5 posted:

So what you're saying is that Rush Limbaugh is the conservative talk radio version of Wolverine. We need to do something about this mutant menace.

Once again, Magneto was right. "Not all those with power are fit to rule."