Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Mine changed a little, but not much. They're all horse rotations though except for path and whatnot, so unless you get a horse (which you're about due for, probably a fatass colicking mini donkey with an attitude problem), I expect you to refer all weirdness to topo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Enelrahc posted:

Mine changed a little, but not much. They're all horse rotations though except for path and whatnot, so unless you get a horse (which you're about due for, probably a fatass colicking mini donkey with an attitude problem), I expect you to refer all weirdness to topo!

Believe me, if we get any horse weirdness it's getting referred as quickly as they can turn the truck around.

Liar Named Jesus
Apr 18, 2007
What a Jew.

Dr. Chaco posted:

Believe me, if we get any horse weirdness it's getting referred as quickly as they can turn the truck around.

This. This is how I feel about horses.

That and most of my professors didn't think it was funny that I brought my horse mask with me to a horse prac. I told the professors that I was trying to get the horses to accept me as one of their own...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

Don't worry, I'll make sure to give it a bucketful of mineral oil before sending it down.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Foxtail in the penis. Like, so far up the urethra I had to break out the ophthalmic pack to find an instrument capable of chasing it down. I now have a new differential for blocked cats.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Dr. Chaco posted:

Foxtail in the penis. Like, so far up the urethra I had to break out the ophthalmic pack to find an instrument capable of chasing it down. I now have a new differential for blocked cats.

Holywow :catstare: that's brutal. I feel like I don't see foxtails at all around here.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Holywow :catstare: that's brutal. I feel like I don't see foxtails at all around here.

Have you ever seen pictures of the large, rolling, golden California hills?

Imagine every single piece of grass on that hillside is a foxtail. That's California. And then they catch fire. Or a stupid dog decides to go running around and either rolls around in them, eats a lot of them and then throws them up, or buries its face in a pile and goes *SNIFFFF*

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Shnooks posted:

I didn't know anything about a foxtail until I moved here. Now it's on every differential list for everything.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Foxtails: The unknown killer.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

A couple of large dogs have come through with multiple (like 12+) abscesses and draining tracts we've had to anesthetize and drain/clean. Poor dogs.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I had never heard of them before I came to California. My first encounter was shadowing the horse vet before vet school and he gloved up his hand, sedated the horse, put some lube on his finger, and starting digging in this horse's eye socket around its eyeball and pulled out 3 of the suckers :cry: It was gross, but I pretended it was fine because I didn't want him to fire me from my amazing shadowing volunteer job. Yay me.

Foxtails suck.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Shnooks posted:

I'm shadowing in a clinic in Orange County. A couple of weeks ago we had our local animal patrol officer roll in with a ferocious dog whose breed I forget but it looked like an oversized Lha Apso. Eventually we got him settled down to the point we could restrain and examine him and holy poo poo fox tails. Fox tails everywhere. In between his toes, deep in his fur, on his face, in his butt; this dog must have been rolling around in a field of them (or at least I hope so; Some of them were digging in pretty deep into his flesh and the idea of this poor boy just wandering for weeks while they built up is too :smith: to consider.) In the end we settled on anesthesia and a complete shave down, but even then we had to pull some from out of him with forceps and some cutting.

Once he woke up he was the sweetest, nicest dog you could imagine. The moral of the story is if you live in California please keep your dogs out of tall grasses.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Oh my god NAVLE registration opened today. This is really happening.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Braki posted:

Oh my god NAVLE registration opened today. This is really happening.

You've got months, just relax and take it one day at a time. It's big and scary but 95% of the new grads taking it make it through - the questions are hard but they know they are.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Client was getting upset with me because I was wasting their money doing diagnostics instead of spending the money just treating it.

The diagnostic we were fighting about was a $30 diagnostic that was completely necessary. Even after explaining how you can't treat something until you diagnose it, they just said again and again...

I don't want you to diagnose it, I want you to treat it!

... I need a new job. They wouldn't stop interrupting me while I was trying to explain. God drat it I hate stupid clients (which feels like many of them) and how draining emotionally and psychologically they are.

Edit: fixed can to can't

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 6, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

HelloSailorSign posted:

Client was getting upset with me because I was wasting their money doing diagnostics instead of spending the money just treating it.

The diagnostic we were fighting about was a $30 diagnostic that was completely necessary. Even after explaining how you can treat something until you diagnose it, they just said again and again...

I don't want you to diagnose it, I want you to treat it!

... I need a new job. They wouldn't stop interrupting me while I was trying to explain. God drat it I hate stupid clients (which feels like many of them) and how draining emotionally and psychologically they are.

"Well I can just keep doing different treatments for lots of different possibilities until I end up treating the thing I could have originally diagnosed."

Cost benefit analysis, but it sounds like they might not get it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've been doing some assistant interning and run into crazy anti-vaccine people. I honestly wasn't expecting that to be a thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

I've been doing some assistant interning and run into crazy anti-vaccine people. I honestly wasn't expecting that to be a thing.

Oh, it definitely is. We don't really have too many where I work,, mainly because the diseases that are vaccinated for are endemic and if you don't vaccinate your pet most likely will die. There are a lot of strays and people who dont vaccinate as they cant afford it, which is why these diseases are still here. Helps convincing people to vaccinate when that's the case. But, other places where the diseases aren't as prevalent, people think that you're just making poo poo up about needing to vaccinate.

We did have someone who used homeopathic vaccines (nosodes) and when those failed, didn't believe their dog could be diseased because they had vaccinated with those nosodes, even though the animal came up positive on tests that look for the virus itself.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yep. My mom's one :smith:. Not with people, mind you - every person should be vaccinated. Just with animals. She doesn't really understand you can't "test" for rabies without killing the animal.

Fortunately we just run into a lot of raw food gently caress-ups at work, not too many anti-vaccine people.

Liar Named Jesus
Apr 18, 2007
What a Jew.
So, out of curiosity, do other vet schools have two separate pathology courses? I have a general pathology (called processes of disease) that covers basically inflammation (acute and chronic), healing and repair, pigmentation, neoplasia, cell death, teratology, and immune response (which includes cytology). Next year I have a clinical pathology course to take that's meant to teach us more about differentials and how we're to record and present cases.

I just finished my exams for the first one, and thankfully they're over. The theory wasn't too bad, but I know I hosed up a bit on the practical portion. I couldn't remember some terms from teratology for a portion of it, and I think I messed up on some differentials concerning a "grainy feel when the stomach was cut"; I left out the possibility of uric acid build up due to liver failure and went straight into calcification.

I hope everyone else's exams are going well.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Liar Named Jesus posted:

So, out of curiosity, do other vet schools have two separate pathology courses?
We have two semesters of pathology, just called Pathology I and II (lecture 5 hours per week, lab 2 hours). We spent the first few weeks on big picture stuff like inflammation and neoplasia. Then the rest of that semester, plus a few weeks into the following semester, was spent on pathology of various systems (bone, GI, renal, etc.). Then the remaining few months were clinical pathology, including cytology.

We had a separate Immunology class first year, and for us teratology was sort of jumbled between Embryology (another separate class first year :barf:) and pathology of the reproductive system.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
We had general pathology at the very beginning of second year, which was like, basic principles of inflammation, wound healing, how tissues in general react on a gross and cellular level to different conditions (patterns), neoplasia, etc. Then the next quarter we started both systemic pathology and clinical pathology - sys path went through the organ systems one by one and more specifically covered the manifestations of disease seen in those organ systems and what causes them, and clin path was essentially how to relate lab work to disease processes.

In the curriculum that the class below us is in, path is integrated in to the organ system blocks with everything else - anatomy, physiology, etc.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I had the same as Topo pretty much. Gen Path early second year, Clin Path in the second half, and Sys Path started a bit earlier than Clin Path and went for three quarters, so we had a quarter where we had Gen Path and Sys Path.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Pretty much everyone starts with general pathology (how the body can respond to injury), and then does systemic pathology (how each system responds to specific diseases). It's because pathology is the most important course in the curriculum that it gets two courses. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

Pretty much everyone starts with general pathology (how the body can respond to injury), and then does systemic pathology (how each system responds to specific diseases). It's because pathology is the most important course in the curriculum that it gets two courses. :)

I think at UCDavis radiology wins the "most courses" prize.

I hated gen path real bad but sys path and clin path were cool in my book.

I'm on anatomic pathology for my second rotation this year! Everyone says it's senior year tradition to see one of your patients from earlier in the year on the necropsy floor during your path rotation. I have oncology for my first rotation so I'd say my chances are still pretty good despite it being so early.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 9, 2013

Liar Named Jesus
Apr 18, 2007
What a Jew.
Fair enough. I know Murdoch is part of the AVMCA (even though it's in Australia...), so it has to match certain guidelines. I was just curious as to how different, if at all, Murdoch is from US schools.

I really enjoyed my general pathology course, I just feel like it went into certain details that wouldn't really be necessary to me (like knowing that upregulation of bcl2 prevents apoptosis). But, the gen path class given here is also for biomedical students, chiropractic students, and animal science students (I have no idea what 'animal science' even means or what someone can do with that degree, really), so some things are thrown in there for them as well. Though we can still be tested on the same material.

I'm looking forward to my clinical pathology course next year, though apparently it's "The Worst Class Ever" as most upper year students call it. It's also where the second most number of students fail out (the most being first semester of the first year), but I think that's also because it's taken along with pharmacology and an animal systems unit (which pertains mostly to abattoir procedures and more on ethics as far as I know).

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Much as this is morbid curiosity, I'm curious as to what other folks have experienced in terms of washout rates at different schools. At OVC, there's basically a zero flunk rate, but folks are definitely held back a year if it's determined they aren't coping well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get held back twice or fail out though. Is that pretty much the experience elsewhere as well?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Liar Named Jesus posted:

I have no idea what 'animal science' even means or what someone can do with that degree, really

It's focused on livestock management, some ecology and behaviour, genetics etc. I'm studying BAnSc but most likely swapping into Zoology. (Not at Murdoch but I have done a few units there years ago)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Commenting on this a little late, but just about every "dog person" I know is fervently anti-vaccine. It's a hugely popular opinion amoung sports people, and they're always talking about titres, holistic vets and faked rabies vaccine records (okay, not always that last one, but I've heard it a few times). It's totally the mindset of those who claim to be really into dogs, and almost a mark of how dedicated an owner you are. If you really knew, if you really cared, you wouldn't vaccinate. Because The Internet.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Solis posted:

Much as this is morbid curiosity, I'm curious as to what other folks have experienced in terms of washout rates at different schools. At OVC, there's basically a zero flunk rate, but folks are definitely held back a year if it's determined they aren't coping well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get held back twice or fail out though. Is that pretty much the experience elsewhere as well?

It's pretty non-existent at Davis. We lost one to illness who joined the class below us, one left due to serious illness and has redirected her life since then, and one left this year due to family problems (I expect her to come back though). I think it's pretty hard to get kicked out of here, especially out of our class as we're the last of the old curriculum and they wouldn't know what to do with them. There is a 4th year on her 3rd round of 4th year starting with us....maybe this year is the one! (I don't want her student loans).

Liar Named Jesus
Apr 18, 2007
What a Jew.
Yeah, Murdoch has a fairly high fail rate. I almost failed out in my first year here. Admittedly, it was a mix of moving to a new country, learning the new school system, and living in a new country. I did way more partying and drinking than I should have and ended up failing two units (anatomy and physiology). Thankfully, Murdoch allows for supplementary exams if you get close enough to a pass (which is 50% here, so you need 45-49% overall to quality for a sup exam) which I was in both courses. I studied my rear end off and ended up only passing anatomy, so I got held back a year.

A good friend of mine didn't even get offered sup exams, and she was out. She's now in the animal science program and trying to get back in. There were several other people who either left or failed out. The class started at 103 students. At the end of the first semester it was down to 92, end of the second semester it was down to 85. Over the course of the next year, I don't think anyone else failed out. There were a few who quit, or deferred for a year.

Though granted, I think this class is the worst one they've had on record in several years, and the professors like to mention it every chance they get.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Our attrition rate seems pretty low. Two of my classmates are currently repeating their first year. It must be awful to see everyone else progress on to the next year without you. We unfortunately had one student die recently in a pretty awful accident, as well as a classmate of mine suffering from severe injury after a rugby tackle gone wrong.

In brighter news, I picked my elective rotations today. Doing an extra two weeks of cardio, two of critical care, and two of ophtho. Go me.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Usually our attrition rate is <1 per four years. Our class was a bit of an exception but it wasn't too bad. We had two people leave in the first couple weeks but they were replaced so they don't count. We had two people who were from the previous year. One of them had medical problems and decided after the first semester that she couldn't keep going, but the other one is still with us. One girl from our class failed after the first semester and decided not to come back. One guy failed at the end of first year and had to repeat. Another guy decided to defer for a year after first year. One girl got kicked out for cheating on multiple exams. We replaced them from people who lived in Western Canada (thus qualifying for our quota system) but were studying abroad (one was in Hungary, one in Australia, one in Dublin). There are rumours that someone in our class might have to repeat third year. I don't think anyone from 2015 or 2016 has failed.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solis posted:

Let's see... my class was 131 to start.
From 1st to 2nd year, two were held back a year due to grades. One quit because they decided they didn't want to be a vet.
From 2nd to 3rd, we didn't lose anyone (not counting the research students who went off to research).
From 3rd to 4th, one took a year off for babies.

In 4th year, there were people that had to repeat rotations, but only one was held back due to grades.

I didn't count those who joined us along the way.

A legend existed right before my year. Someone had repeated every year of vet school - got to fourth year, and they refused to let them finish due to some bad poo poo.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

HelloSailorSign posted:

A legend existed right before my year. Someone had repeated every year of vet school - got to fourth year, and they refused to let them finish due to some bad poo poo.

Someone in my wife's class had this happen.

Honestly, if we're going to fail people, I think we owe it to them to do it early.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Khelmar posted:

Someone in my wife's class had this happen.

Honestly, if we're going to fail people, I think we owe it to them to do it early.

As the story goes, apparently there were legal challenges that the school simply didn't want to fight and let them keep going, until some of the faculty in the clinical year put their foot down.

Liar Named Jesus
Apr 18, 2007
What a Jew.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, I've heard stories of someone similar here at murdoch. He's in his 8th year of vet school, but apparently he has some form of learning disability and because of that they can't legally fail him out or something.

I honestly have no idea if it's true, anyone who tells the story can't remember his name or even what he looks like, so I'm thinking it's all fake. Or something that happened years ago and they just keep the story going because it's funny. I don't know, Aussies can be weird people sometimes about things like that.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
omg we're 4th years :eek:

Parrotstalking
Oct 6, 2012
This thread is illuminating and also instills anxiety in me for my upcoming first year. It will be the first semester in my life that I have more than 16 hours (actually 20 hours, basically every day Monday through Friday either 9-3 or 9-4). I'm lounging while I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Today sucked. Terminal research sucks.

• Locked thread