Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

1-3 are pretty great, 4 is a major deviation from what made Dune Dune, but isn't bad. 5 and 6 are hot garbage because Frank was clearly slipping into dementia.

I like em all, but I know I'm on the outside on that one. They definitely go in a different direction than I'd hoped for at the time. I always liked the massive scale FH worked at, and the last 3 books definitely work with a massive scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SaviourX posted:

The best part about #redweddingtears is seeing the copious amounts of people that don't know what loving words are.

I like the Irish guy who met Jerome Flynn in a gay bar in Dublin, got his picture taken with him and then called him BROM in his tweet.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

1-3 are pretty great, 4 is a major deviation from what made the Dark Tower the Dark Tower, but isn't bad. 5, 6, and 7 are hot garbage because Steve was clearly hit by a van.

Hey now the Dark Tower is great all the way through, sure the latter stuff is totally different in tone but hey he saw death and went to finish what he started. And it's a great cyclical end to it all.

George Fat gently caress Martin saw death in the form of shitdick and instead of seeing his own mortality and finishing what he started, he did jack poo poo and with never finish what he started.

Only read Dune. Get the leather bound edition from Barnes and Noble, be smug that you've never read past it, be like me.

rejutka posted:

Traveller, Anomandaris, Karsa, any Seguleh of any note, Whiskeyjack, Trull, Tool, Onrack, Icarium, Brys, Leoman, Lostara, Apsalara, Dancer, Topper, Laseen, loving Kiska, Temper, Braven Tooth, backward reeleth the mind, seriously, you wanna do this?

What you doin son? You forgettin Quick Ben, Coltaine, Gesler, Caladan Brood, Silchas Ruin, Toc, Trotts, any of the Crimson guard especially Shimmer, K'azz, Skinner, and of course IRON BARS, and Ereko and Hood and all the Jaghut and K'Chain and Calm and mother loving Kallor?

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 5, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bigmcgaffney posted:

Hey now the Dark Tower is great all the way through, sure the latter stuff is totally different in tone but hey he saw death and went to finish what he started. And it's a great cyclical end to it all.

George Fat gently caress Martin saw death in the form of shitdick and instead of seeing his own mortality and finishing what he started, he did jack poo poo and with never finish what he started.

I guess you didn't hear about the Dunk & Egg TV series.

Seeing how GRRM started out writing for TV, it's a great cyclical end to it all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh my loving christ,

Tyrion.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some of the cover art is really cool.
Some of them are that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

One of them confused Tyrion with Billy Quizboy from The Venture Brothers, minus the eyepatch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well he's supposed to be pretty drat ugly.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
That looks like if an abortion had lived, not an ugly midget.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

A part of Tywin Lannister's soul died forever on the day he met his burn victim baby.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

mkay0 posted:

That looks like if an abortion had lived, not an ugly midget.

You know... I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese midget.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

rejutka posted:

Traveller, Anomandaris, Karsa, any Seguleh of any note, Whiskeyjack, Trull, Tool, Onrack, Icarium, Brys, Leoman, Lostara, Apsalara, Dancer, Topper, Laseen, loving Kiska, Temper, Braven Tooth, backward reeleth the mind, seriously, you wanna do this?

You know, I just picked a random real-dude name for laughs. I had entirely forgotten about lil' Adjunct Kyle with his wind magic sword, what with this being the GRRM thread and not the Malazan one. :v:

Okay, if we're talking Best Swordsman in Malazanworld, Imma back my man Gruntle, Mortal Sword of motherfucking Trake. Even if he's not the best, brother can turn himself and a dozen soldiers into a gigantic tiger to whip poo poo on whole armies. That's pretty sweet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This is a thing now https://www.change.org/petitions/got-writers-stop-the-killing-of-main-characters-from-game-of-thrones

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 5, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Mazed posted:

Oh my loving christ,

Tyrion.

That's how I envisioned him on my first read through. I approve of the image.

How the show made the leap from disturbing to look at, to dashingly handsome albeit short, eludes me.

She probably hates bookfags too.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 5, 2013

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I guess you didn't hear about the Dunk & Egg TV series.

Seeing how GRRM started out writing for TV, it's a great cyclical end to it all.

Dunk & Egg would be a great PG-13 equivalent for maximum franchise profits

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
So what are the odds on Grey Robb sitting on the throne this week? Still upset that Cat didn't self-shred her face. Will make being dragged from the water after a few days less gruesome.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
To be fair, Cat clawing her face out in the books was a wee bit over-the-top. Besides, the show made up for that loss of craziness by having Jeyne/Talisa getting a back-alley abortion and then some.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

How the show made the leap from disturbing to look at, to dashingly handsome albeit short, eludes me.

GRRM said in a round of fantasy casting that Peter Dinklage was the only choice to play Tyrion in his mind, and he's one of the only dwarf actors with any remote name recognition and gravitas in entertainment at the moment.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

The Bene Gesserit witch must leave!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When was the last time you saw any leading actor on Dinklages level in GOT who wasn't good looking?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

he's one of the only dwarf actors with any remote name recognition and

Really? That is a consideration?

"Honestly, this is unwatchable as I have no idea who that dwarf actor is" :colbert:

Aurain posted:

When was the last time you saw any leading actor on Dinklages level in GOT who wasn't good looking?

Well yeah, but he made it a point in the book to describe just how not good looking Tyrion is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Really? That is a consideration?

"Honestly, this is unwatchable as I have no idea who that dwarf actor is" :colbert:

For the people casting and making the show, not the audience.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

For the people casting and making the show, not the audience.

True, but they could have saved some money and gotten better wigs for Dan and her brother.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fog Tripper posted:

Well yeah, but he made it a point in the book to describe just how not good looking Tyrion is.

As he did for Ygritte and Brienne.

The show is ruining all the shameful boners.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

ZearothK posted:

As he did for Ygritte and Brienne.

The show is ruining all the shameful boners.

I'm with you on Brienne, but from what I recall Ygritte merely was unshaven and had odd teeth.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I recall a distinct phrasing of "pig-faced."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
After watching it a million times, I declare Talisa's little hand move back toward the Frey guy as the best part of the HBO RW scene. She just sort of whacks at him like "Hey quit that, get outta here, go over there."

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 5, 2013

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I always figured Ygritte looked all white trashy and didn't fit the noble's standard of beauty. More or less the same thing for Tyrion, in reverse.

The no clawing of the face thing was made up for with acting.

I don't know why they changed Roose Bolton's Godfather-esque line though. That made no sense.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think Ygritte was described as just being sort of plain. HBO did gently caress up by not having Gwendoline Christie wear a fat suit or something.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mazed posted:

A part of Tywin Lannister's soul died forever on the day he met his burn victim baby.
So Tyrion was born amidst fire and blood? :aaaaa:

Just kidding, Tyrion is not a Targ, and I'm tired of people thinking he is.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I always figured Ygritte looked pretty plain but in a nice way, like how you expect a first girlfriend to look when you're like 15.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

bigmcgaffney posted:

What you doin son? You forgettin Quick Ben, Coltaine, Gesler, Caladan Brood, Silchas Ruin, Toc, Trotts, any of the Crimson guard especially Shimmer, K'azz, Skinner, and of course IRON BARS, and Ereko and Hood and all the Jaghut and K'Chain and Calm and mother loving Kallor?

Tier 1: Kruppe
Tier 2: everyone else

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

stawk Archer posted:

I don't know why they changed Roose Bolton's Godfather-esque line though. That made no sense.

To make it clear this was a big plan involving Tywin. If he'd said Jaime, people might think it was down to him and, since the show doesn't have his inner monologue, it might affect his redemption arc.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Junkenstein posted:

To make it clear this was a big plan involving Tywin. If he'd said Jaime, people might think it was down to him and, since the show doesn't have his inner monologue, it might affect his redemption arc.

Considering some people are blaming all of this on Theon somehow I'd say it was a good call.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

stawk Archer posted:

The no clawing of the face thing was made up for with acting.

They missed the boat by not having the Hold Steady's The Bear & The Maiden Fair hit as soon as Catelyn went down. I'd do an edit myself if I was even remotely competent in such matters.

Incidentally, which semi-famous indie band will be doing the Rat Cook in season 4-5? I'm thinking something pretty metal would fit. Maybe hosed Up?

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 5, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Considering some people are blaming all of this on Theon somehow I'd say it was a good call.

Hahaha oh for gently caress's sake, you'd guess him being flayed and tortured to heck would give him not much time for plotting.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

It kinda is, considering Roose figured Robb lost the war when he lost Winterfell. From the mouths of babbys?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

blackshreds posted:

So does anyone know what the gently caress happened to Benjen?

This is from the last page but I always assumed there was a decent possibility Benjen was Coldhands?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I Own Soulz posted:

Tier 1: Kruppe
Tier 2-6: Surly
Tier 7: everyone else

That seems more accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't remember Benjen being described similarly to Cold Hands in appearance, but all corpses probably look a lot alike after a while.

My actual guess is that Gurm completely forgot Benjen ever existed after the second half of ACOK.