Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Internaut! posted:

We use workstations at work (trading floor), Dell builds them, we customize them, then deploy them and never touch them again unless a part fails and we replace it with an identical one.

For us, flexibility, expandability and upgradeability are the last things we want - we need stability first and power second as an hour's downtime would pay for the machine on most days.

We'll never switch to Macs but the new Pro exceeds the specs of our machines from a CPU/OpenCL standpoint and the multimonitor control features and resolution support beat our Matrox solution by a mile.

If you bought a recent (or soon to be released) workstation from HP or Dell, with the same graphics cards, and the same or better CPU, it'll have the same performance, maybe better. SSDs on PCIe boards are already available too btw.

I'm not sure what multimonitor control you think OS X has, but 10.9 isn't even out yet so it remains to be seen how well things work imho. Also, I'm pretty sure these GPUs will support the same resolutions on a Windows / Linux PC platform as they do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What if something dumb happens like Boot Camp doesn't support the PCI-E SSD, or there's no Windows driver for it.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

What if something dumb happens like Boot Camp doesn't support the PCI-E SSD, or there's no Windows driver for it.
I didn't think of that and now you have me worried... Hmmm.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
Has anyone seen any rumors on the new rMBPs? I'll be looking to pick one up for my brother for college here soon, but I don't want to wait much longer. I heard it was just a supply issue for the screens, so I assume they've got the rest of it worked out and are ready to ship soon?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

InstantInfidel posted:

Anyone else hoping TB 2.0 means cheaper Thunderbolt docks, and maybe even a first-party one with a power adapter?
Blackmagic had one to play with so I imagine there are others out there with Mac Pros testing stuff out. Whether it means cheaper stuff eh, I imagine it'll just mean higher margins going by the way companies have treated TB to begin with.

And there is a first party one with power adapter, the Thunderbolt Display :v:.

I was hoping for an Apple drive bay+PCIe box if they went this route, but I'm guessing they'll let third parties handle it.

CanOfMDAmp posted:

Has anyone seen any rumors on the new rMBPs? I'll be looking to pick one up for my brother for college here soon, but I don't want to wait much longer. I heard it was just a supply issue for the screens, so I assume they've got the rest of it worked out and are ready to ship soon?
Nothing afaik, although Anand suspects they might wait for TB2.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm using a 2013 Mac Mini i7 with Intel HD4000 graphics, with a TB display and an HDMI projector, using it for low-requirement gaming (mostly Eve online with all the effects off), internet browsing and watching movies (hence the projector). If I buy a second TB Display, will I be able to use all three simultaneously? If so, will the HDMI be a clone of one of the screens or a third screen space?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
On the whole I can see where they're going with the Mac Pro and don't mind it, but the AMD GPUs are a big fat question mark.

About the only thing in the land of video that supports them today is the Adobe suite, and even that's only if you're a Creative Cloud subscriber.

And how did we unexpectedly end up here when the entire current lineup uses NVIDIA GPUs?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm using a 2013 Mac Mini i7 with Intel HD4000 graphics, with a TB display and an HDMI projector, using it for low-requirement gaming (mostly Eve online with all the effects off), internet browsing and watching movies (hence the projector). If I buy a second TB Display, will I be able to use all three simultaneously? If so, will the HDMI be a clone of one of the screens or a third screen space?
You can use all three independently.

And with OS X Mavericks you might be able to run a fourth independent screen over AirPlay to an Apple TV!

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Molten Llama posted:

On the whole I can see where they're going with the Mac Pro and don't mind it, but the AMD GPUs are a big fat question mark.

About the only thing in the land of video that supports them today is the Adobe suite, and even that's only if you're a Creative Cloud subscriber.

And how did we unexpectedly end up here when the entire current lineup uses NVIDIA GPUs?

Still not a fan of the new Mac Pro, but the next version of DaVinci Resolve will work with OpenCL in addition to CUDA, so that's pretty big, at least in the video production market.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

yoyomama posted:

Considering your price point, when I was hunting for a Mac laptop, I never found anything in a decent year for MBAs at the $700 price point. Ideally, it would be a good choice (you could just rip movies from your DVDs on your iMac and put them on your MBA if needed), but if you're working with super huge files, then an 2010 or older MBA may not cut it. The used prices for 2011+ MBAs may drop with the new MBAs out, so check, but you'd definitely need a 13" and not the 11". If not, an MBP non-retina is fine (despite the naysaying, it works perfectly fine, and the only trade off is the weight and screen resolution).

Yes, the other choices are nicer, but if you're on a budget, then a used MBP is fine, since it's easy to upgrade the harddrive and RAM if needed, it'll have the CD drive you want, and you can use an external monitor if you need it. A 2011 13 MBP should fit right in your price range, and service all of your needs except the screen resolution, but the 13 MBA isn't much bigger anyway, so you'd need an external monitor either way. Feel free to save up for a new MBA if you have the time to, but if you want to buy something now, then the MBP 13 is great. I just bought a used 2011 MBP 13 since I'm also on a budget, and it fits my needs perfectly (especially for price), and I have another screen when I need the space. Only thing I may do is throw an SSD in, once I find a good deal. All of the advice here is good, but not for being a Mac user on a budget.

Okay, that sounds good. I wouldn't want to go for a machine older than 2011 anyway. If I go for a used Air, I would still end up paying more for a 2012 model than for a Pro.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Nessa posted:

Okay, that sounds good. I wouldn't want to go for a machine older than 2011 anyway. If I go for a used Air, I would still end up paying more for a 2012 model than for a Pro.

Refurb 13" 2012 is $849

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Molten Llama posted:

I dunno, but that was my thought too. I figure that it either has to do with which company was more willing/flexible in regard to Apple's desires or whatever partnership was best at the time that this specific part of the project was begun. Remember that the new Mac Pro is at least two years in the making, and the big exodus back to Nvidia happened with the introduction of last year's models. For all we know, the 2014 update very well may bring Nvidia back.

The excerpt from the DaVinci support forums that Japtor posted has done a bit to calm my apprehension:

quote:

We have been testing with DaVinci Resolve 10 builds and this screams. Its amazing and those GPUs are incredible powerful. I am not sure what I can say as I am only going off what Apple has talked about publicly here in the keynote for what I can say right now, however there is a whole new OpenCL and DaVinci Resolve 10 has had a lot of performance work done to integrate it and its really really fast. Those GPUs are very powerful and have lots of GPU memory so this is the Mac we have been waiting for! We have lots of Thunderbolt products too so video in and out is taken care of.

We will have more details once the guys get back from WWDC and we get some more info from Apple on what we can talk about etc.

Overall we could not be happier!

I guess we'll know more after today's Pixar/the Foundry seminar at WWDC. If the GPUs are strong enough, I guess CUDA capability won't matter as much. Granted, that comes from my purely Premiere/FCPX point of view.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 11, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

the AMD GPUs are a big fat question mark.
Why is it such a question? Perhaps it's a statement on OpenCL over CUDA. I think Nvidia is the only vendor implementing CUDA whereas Apple/AMD/Nvidia/intel/IBM all support OpenCL. Aside, all 3 next gen consoles use AMD, so maybe it's a good game dev box. Personally, I'm only interested in it because I want more CPU/GPU than an iMac can offer for Maya/C4D/AE, and all my big storage is local/external, so I'm keeping my eye on it unless that + a display or two is $10k. I need to investigate the advantages, I'm still milking CS5.5 & Maya 2012 most of the time.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Ordered a 13in MBA with the 1.7GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. Since I have an 11in 2010 model it will be nice to have a bit more room and the SDXC slot for my camera, but I'm just glad the battery life has been improved with Haswell and looks to get even better with Mavericks. I kept thinking I'd wait and get one of the MBPr refreshes that never came, but I think I just prefer the form factor of the Airs a lot more.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

tarepanda posted:

Unless that's changed in Mavericks... in which case it all makes sense.

It has. Mavericks supports 128GB of RAM.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
With the HD5000, do folks think the new MBA will be okay for low indie games and ARPGs like Diablo 3?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Gunjin posted:

Still not a fan of the new Mac Pro, but the next version of DaVinci Resolve will work with OpenCL in addition to CUDA, so that's pretty big, at least in the video production market.

That's good to know, at least. I'd seen a couple preliminary looks at Resolve 10 but they'd been focused on the expanded feature set and didn't mention OpenCL.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I dunno, but that was my thought too. I figure that it either has to do with which company was more willing/flexible in regard to Apple's desires or whatever partnership was best at the time that this specific part of the project was begun.

That was my thought as well. Apple also doesn't like their larger suppliers to feel irreplaceable. Slapping a competing GPU in your flagship machine is certainly one way to drive that home.

And all the better if you can get that hardware out to developers like Blackmagic and make the new hardware scream in the mean time.

e:

kuskus posted:

Why is it such a question? Perhaps it's a statement on OpenCL over CUDA. I think Nvidia is the only vendor implementing CUDA whereas Apple/AMD/Nvidia/intel/IBM all support OpenCL.

Because historically for video applications it's been CUDA or GTFO. Some applications won't run at all, some applications lose half their features, some run like molasses. Telling pro users "Oh yeah, and we built this thing with non-NVIDIA GPUs" is scary when developers have been so reluctant to support OpenCL.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 11, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How does the BTO i7 compare to the i5 on the Haswell Airs in terms of performance and battery life? Its clock speed is notably similar to last year's model, compared to the big power cut in the i5. Is it safe to assume that the hyped up "12 hour" battery life will be much less fantabulous in a fully kitted-out Air?

fookolt posted:

With the HD5000, do folks think the new MBA will be okay for low indie games and ARPGs like Diablo 3?

Yes.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

fookolt posted:

Definitely. I'm planning to use mine for Unity and other stuff, and so far the 5000 is looking like a solid 15-20% upgrade from the 4000.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Maybe I'm a bad person, but I've hedged my bets and ordered an 11" and 13" MBA. I just can't decide which is better for me until I get them each home and can play with them, compare them, etc. They are both simply amazing, amazing machines.

Too bad they don't have a 12" model :/

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
^ Hah, I'm having the same issue.

Kenshirou posted:

Definitely. I'm planning to use mine for Unity and other stuff, and so far the 5000 is looking like a solid 15-20% upgrade from the 4000.

Cool; thanks. Now I'm debating between the 11 and the 13...Anyone end up having that debate and how did your eventual choice go for you?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Vinlaen posted:

Maybe I'm a bad person, but I've hedged my bets and ordered an 11" and 13" MBA. I just can't decide which is better for me until I get them each home and can play with them, compare them, etc. They are both simply amazing, amazing machines.

Too bad they don't have a 12" model :/

If it's just about the size and usability, they're identical to last year's models. You could just go to an apple store or best buy or frys and compare them there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Are the MBA refurbs going to be available this Friday, do you guys think? I don't have a lot of money to put upfront right now thanks to car registration renewal and tuition fees, but today marks the end of foreseeable expenditures and I get paid on Friday. Haswell really doesn't provide anything I care about so I'm going to pinch a few pennies and just get the Ivy Bridge 13".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fookolt posted:

Cool; thanks. Now I'm debating between the 11 and the 13...Anyone end up having that debate and how did your eventual choice go for you?

I went back and forth a few times. The resolution makes me regret the 11" and then I'd get a 13" and wish for the slightly smaller 11".

After going back and forth about 3 times I ended up going with a 13" rMBP :)

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
It's the difference between 768 vertical pixels and 900 vertical pixels.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

fookolt posted:

^ Hah, I'm having the same issue.

Go to the store and compare them side by side. Put them next to each other and compare keyboard and touchpad sizes, as well as the amount of wrist room you have. That's what I did today and decided that for me I would forsake a bit more of the portability for more room. Typing long-term on the 11in can be a bit cramped and uncomfortable, but for just taking it out for browsing or doing light stuff I never had any issues. But yes, I agonized over the choice and just ordered the 13in because it just makes more sense in the long run since it will be my primary computer for all non-gaming.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

My problem is that I'm going to be using this laptop primary on my lap while sitting on the couch and that isn't something you can test out at the store. Heck, at my local Best Buy they are chained pretty tightly to the desk... (and I don't have a fruit stand anywhere nearby)

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
I dunno, I guess maybe look at the footprint of both and see if the slight difference between the two will really impact you. They definitely made it harder to pick between them now that there is parity between specs.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Kenshirou posted:

Go to the store and compare them side by side. Put them next to each other and compare keyboard and touchpad sizes, as well as the amount of wrist room you have. That's what I did today and decided that for me I would forsake a bit more of the portability for more room. Typing long-term on the 11in can be a bit cramped and uncomfortable, but for just taking it out for browsing or doing light stuff I never had any issues. But yes, I agonized over the choice and just ordered the 13in because it just makes more sense in the long run since it will be my primary computer for all non-gaming.

Yeah, I know I have to do this; it's just a goony goon in me that wants to avoid the retail experience.

It's interesting you say that typing long term on the 11 inch can be cramped/uncomfortable when they both have the same size keyboard. What do you think causes that?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
drat, dat battery life. Now I have to figure out if I can sell off my 2012 11".

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
The keyboards are the same size but the wrist space and touch pad are smaller on the 11in. It's not as apparent unless you do a straight up side by side, which I did today. I actually had no idea how much bigger the touchpad was on the 13in. Anyways I used to use mine for writing a lot of stuff and I just think it's worth considering, that's all. It's by no means make or break but it could effect you if you do use it long-term.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Did Apple ever say if new purchases will include vouchers for 10.9?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Civil posted:

I don't think this will start until Back to School.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Civil posted:

IIRC if you bought a new computer less than 30 days before Mountain Lion came out then you got it for free. The OS is pretty cheap though so it isn't that big of a deal.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

wooger posted:

If you bought a recent (or soon to be released) workstation from HP or Dell, with the same graphics cards, and the same or better CPU, it'll have the same performance, maybe better. SSDs on PCIe boards are already available too btw.

I'm not sure what multimonitor control you think OS X has, but 10.9 isn't even out yet so it remains to be seen how well things work imho. Also, I'm pretty sure these GPUs will support the same resolutions on a Windows / Linux PC platform as they do here.

If only they'd have demonstrated the multi-monitor support at the keynote yesterday and then released a beta of OS X 10.9 that one could use to see for oneself... Also when has the PC market ever been about some kind of performance ONLY being available on one particular brand or OS? It's a combination of factors that drive an informed buying decision.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

fookolt posted:

The 2011 with an HD3000 could run Diablo 3 at a decent frame rate on low. You'll be fine.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

fookolt posted:

Now I'm debating between the 11 and the 13...Anyone end up having that debate and how did your eventual choice go for you?

I went with the 11" because I wanted something that will work on an economy class tray table without having to fold the screen halfway down awkwardly. If an Air would be my only laptop, I'd have gone with 13" for the screen real estate and ergonomics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fookolt posted:

The 11" looks tits because it's just so small, but the screen's just way too uncomfortably short for me and the cramped typing space and smaller touchpad were the final deal-breakers.

There's no difference in thickness between the two and the weight difference is basically unnoticeable IMO. On top of that, the size benefits of the 11" don't really matter from a portability standpoint, since most backpacks/messenger bags will fit either of them comfortably and you won't be able to tell the difference when it's on your back.

Also, the SD slot in the 13" is great if you need expandability down the road.

If it's going to be your main notebook, get a 13" one. Then you can get an iPad mini later on if you want something even smaller for browsing the web or whatever. The 11" would make a great 'travel computer' but I don't think I'd be able to take it for continuous use.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Yeah, this laptop isn't going to be my main; I just want something to read and write on (and maybe play an indie game when my girlfriend kicks me off my desktop so she can crunch stats). It would be amazing to just take a laptop to write notes at work instead of having to decipher my lovely chicken scratch from my 30th notepad for the week; that's basically the primary use for it.

Thanks for all the insights, everyone. It's really helpful.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How does the BTO i7 compare to the i5 on the Haswell Airs in terms of performance and battery life? Its clock speed is notably similar to last year's model, compared to the big power cut in the i5. Is it safe to assume that the hyped up "12 hour" battery life will be much less fantabulous in a fully kitted-out Air?

Maybe sort of safe, it's a complicated issue these days. TDP is the same but it's clocked higher. Under less than 100% load it should get back to idle states quicker, which saves energy. You're not seeing 12 hours without a lot of CPU idle time...