Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wachter posted:

So I watched 3.33 and as far as I'm concerned, the contents of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-s3nJ6wteE pretty much confirms the concurrent/overlapping timeline theory. I thought that Kaworu's revelation of the identical twin spears followed by an image of GNR was pretty on the nose, but then you've got Mari telling a Rei clone that she prefers the original, and finally two Unit-01s occupying the same space? C'mon, now.

Where are you getting two Unit-01s occupying the same space from? Unit-13 had four-arms and was made that way so it could dual-wield the spears. It certainly looks exactly like 01, but what you said requires there to be three Unit-01s. Two to make Unit-13 and another in the Wunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Wachter posted:

and finally two Unit-01s occupying the same space? C'mon, now.

Tell me more.
Unit-01 is the core of Wundar, 13 is some unknown entity. Yui's absence sort of confirms that 13 isn't 01. Whether its from the same vein as 02+08, we won't know unless Shinji pilots it again in 4.44, but the fact of the matter is that 01 is the core of Wundar, and Yui, and Rei for that matter, is nowhere to be seen
e: just rewatching that scene now:
KING OF LILIN WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN :confused:
ee: looks like I have a few more questions:
What is the object that comes out of the ground when 13 ascends? I can't even describe it properly.
What is the other object floating above 13 inside the discs? http://imgur.com/4vnGXr2
Best part of 3.33 :3: http://imgur.com/yFvJwnJ (Linked for big)
Also Cat-02 is silly

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 14, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Asuka/Unit 02 in 3.33 is literally Guts. Eyepatch, arm that is a gun, turns into a crazy animal during fights, inside a giant suit of armor that has the spirit of a killer beast in it and turns you into it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zeruel posted:

KING OF LILIN WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN

I think that "Lilin" means "children of Lilith" aka humans.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If your idea of an Evangelion game isn't a Shadow of the Colossus style game in which you just fight the Angles with the cities/landscape getting destroyed all around you as you fight, military and support firing from everywhere, and maybe a co-op element where you fight alongside a friend trying to hit the angel's core then get out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, the only Eva game I want is more of a Robot* Apotheotic Drive if you will.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If your idea of an Evangelion game isn't a Shadow of the Colossus style game in which you just fight the Angles with the cities/landscape getting destroyed all around you as you fight, military and support firing from everywhere, and maybe a co-op element where you fight alongside a friend trying to hit the angel's core then get out.

That's the only way I can see it really working. They'd have to make a bunch of new Angels to make it good though. SOTC had the advantage of all the bosses basically boiling down to "Find weak spot, climb to weakspot (possibly using some clever method of mounting or weakening colossus), stab weakspot." I don't see how you'd even have any meaningful gameplay for angels like Ramiel or Leiliel, let alone gameplay that's both fun and doesn't require a dev team to be able to make entirely new mechanics for each boss.

Plus, I have no idea what you'd do inbetween fights. Maybe Persona 4 esque socializing/training stuff? With more despair, of course.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There needs to be a date sim component or it won't really be Evangelion.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Spiritus Nox posted:

That's the only way I can see it really working. They'd have to make a bunch of new Angels to make it good though. SOTC had the advantage of all the bosses basically boiling down to "Find weak spot, climb to weakspot (possibly using some clever method of mounting or weakening colossus), stab weakspot." I don't see how you'd even have any meaningful gameplay for angels like Ramiel or Leiliel, let alone gameplay that's both fun and doesn't require a dev team to be able to make entirely new mechanics for each boss.

Plus, I have no idea what you'd do inbetween fights. Maybe Persona 4 esque socializing/training stuff? With more despair, of course.

(Is this nws?)

>The Asuka Langley-Soryu Social link has reached its maximum level.

>Shinji Ikari has forged a bond that cannot be broken.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Pretty sure that social link is reversed.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zeruel posted:

What is the other object floating above 13 inside the discs? http://imgur.com/4vnGXr2

That's the Chamber of Guf, something that keeps popping up during Impacts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pierson posted:

That's the Chamber of Guf, something that keeps popping up during Impacts.

To clarify a bit further, the chamber as a whole is generally said to be the source of all Souls - whatever the gently caress a Soul is with regards to Evangelion. The Impacts as seen in EoE and Rebuild generally feature the Chamber opening, breaking down all nearby life by destroying their AT fields, and hoovering up their souls to parts unknown.

Edit: Just watched some of EoE, and something struck me near the end. We never see the deified Eva unit 1 come back from orbit. 3.0 begins by showing the orbital recovery of a deified Unit 1. Not confirming anything, but just something I noticed - and something I'm quite sure the filmmakers noticed as well.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 14, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yet another point to support the continuity theory. That is really interesting.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Welp I just rewatched the series for the first time since high school when a friend lent me his copies. I forgot just what a horror show it is from about episode 19 on, and of course 25-26 work a lot better in context of the events of EoE. Surprisingly, I found myself really invested in Rei's character arc this time around. It was really touching that someone who is essentially part of a product line with an incomplete or copied soul actually became one of the most human characters because she truly understood all along what Shinji comes to grips with at the end, that to have a sense of self you have to have others to help you perceive that self. Such a great contrast to Shinji's constant isolation and his hedgehog's dilemma.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch EoE right away though.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Slime posted:

Where are you getting two Unit-01s occupying the same space from? Unit-13 had four-arms and was made that way so it could dual-wield the spears. It certainly looks exactly like 01, but what you said requires there to be three Unit-01s. Two to make Unit-13 and another in the Wunder.

I'll concede that it's predominantly a visual and metaphorical thing - a Vitruvian EVA, two figures superimposed. Okay, so Unit-13 isn't the true Unit-01 of this or any other timeline, but it may as well be - it's capable of "awakening" and starting Impacts just like the real one. Then again, considering all the bullshit magic powers that the new EVAs seem to be manifesting, Impactability may not be a unique trait v:shobon:v (speaking of which, what the hell was up with Unit-02's Cat Mode and Unit-09's transforming jetpack? I prefer my EVAs to be inscrutable and gnomic creatures of dubious anatomy, not loving Animorphs! Between those and the Frankenstein's Monster cobbled together out of bits of Unit-02 and Unit-08 in the Final preview, there's an element of self-parody creeping in here, and I'm not sure I like it).

Shinji's SDAT is still absolutely laden with significance, so much so that it's almost become a character in and of itself. It's clear that it represents both continuity and adherence to the script (by which I mean both the actual script for the original shows, and also "the script" or "the plan" contained in the Dead Sea Scrolls), and Shinji's inability to move on from the death of his mother and his abandonment by his father. Some of the biggest oh poo poo moments for me in 3.0 were learning that the SDAT had been preserved by Unit-01's core, that it (and, by extension, continuity) is broken, Kaworu agreeing to fix it, and finally Shinji apparently abandoning it at the end of the movie (but Rei probably picked it up :gonk:).

Some other clues I picked up:

- the music repeat sign in the logo for Final;
- Shinji's apparently spontaneous display of musical prowess;
- Kaworu's instruction to Shinji to "repeat the same thing over and again" until he is "happy with it";
- Kaworu's statement that Shinji, "instead of seeking change", prefers "a void, merciless abyss of a world" and that he is "suffering because (he) can't stand these changes";
- Kaworu's lecture on extinction cycles, particularly the part about Lilin's "rituals to evolve itself";
- "Those aren't our spears!";
- "I guess this means the beginning and the end are one and the same.";
- Kaworu's promise that he and Shinji will meet again;
- and of course the title of the movie. You can redo, but things might turn out just as bad. Or worse!

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

The Vitruvian Man is an important visual motif in 3.0- it also appears in the bit where Yui is lowered towards the core. The imagery there also captures a solar eclipse, linking her with the moon, a halo, and angelic wings.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

(Is this nws?)

Holy poo poo that is amazing.

And I still feel all the continuity hints are metatexual bits of fanservice moreso than confirmation of repetition. It's a remake on multiple levels.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

We bestow upon thee the ability to create Mara, the ultimate form of the Tower Arcana...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

We bestow upon thee the ability to create Mara, the ultimate form of the Tower Arcana...

How disgusting...

(:golfclap:)

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've only played Persona 3 but I don't think you would really need to add more despair to make a NGE game. :crossarms:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I've only played Persona 3 but I don't think you would really need to add more despair to make a NGE game. :crossarms:

Persona 4 is significantly less :gonk: than 3.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to read the whole thread after my last post and whatnot. Holy poo poo, you guys. I'm pretty sure that half of what makes Evangelion interesting are discussions of this ilk.

Also, I'm pretty much convinced that giving NGE as a whole a rewatch/reread is a thing that I need to do. It's been god knows how many years. Probably since the first Rebuild was made available.

yellowjournalism posted:

POR FAVOR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This was the one post that convinced me.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Riddle of Feel posted:

The Vitruvian Man is an important visual motif in 3.0- it also appears in the bit where Yui is lowered towards the core. The imagery there also captures a solar eclipse, linking her with the moon, a halo, and angelic wings.

Vitruvian Man, for those that don't know, is this fellow:

He's a sketch by Leonardo, referring to a Roman architect named Vitruvius (natch); it displays Vitruvius' ideas about how to design buildings with proportions derived from human anatomy. In other words, a world derived from humanity. No wonder he shows up in Rebuild 3.

Wark Say posted:

I decided to read the whole thread after my last post and whatnot. Holy poo poo, you guys. I'm pretty sure that half of what makes Evangelion interesting are discussions of this ilk.

I'd just like to second this; there's been some great posts and I've enjoyed reading them very much.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Rewatching this part, Yui has the same sort of... hand covers? when she has her hands across her chest, as Unit 13 when its secondary arms come free.
I like the little things like this.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
There've been a number of Evangelion games over the past couple years, actually; it's just that most of them are Pachinko, one was a rhythym game, and the rest were upgraded ports of PS2 games.

Battle Orchestra and 3nd Impact were pretty boss, though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So I finally watched 3.33 last night and I spent all day at work racking my brain over the timeline for the 14 year gap.

I've not managed to read the whole thread but here's my :goonsay::
Starting off at the end of 2.22, Kaji mentions something along the lines of "Seele won't be quiet about this." So despite third impact being ultimately averted it's probably forced Seele to step up their game a little. I'm assuming this involved stepping up the mass production of evas, especially with all other known evas damaged, destroyed or incapacitated at the end of 2.22. They seem to be all cloned from Adam, and I believe are piloted by the Rei clones.

At some point after this the UN enacts their hostile takeover of NERV headquarters like in EoE.

The conversation between Kaworu and Shinji overlooking earth on the makeshift gantry suggests, and it was also abstractly foreshadowed in the preceding Ghibli short that Nerv command used the mass production evas to somehow artificially initiate the human instrumentality project by wiping out mankind. The atrocity spurring everybody but Gendo and Fuyutsuki to split and form Wille.

At some point possibly during or after, an angel attacks. One of it's attacks is pulling up the very earth? Making a those giant crosses on the landscape. It uses this power to pull Nerv HQ out of the very ground suspending it on a that column, and exposing central dogma without triggering the self destruct mechanisms. The angel awakens Lilith, who is far too powerful for any of the adam clone mass production models to destroy. Lilith is eventually taken down by Kaworu, and presumably Mari (or possibly Asuka) by the logic that the two spears need two souls, and none of the Rei clones have a soul because it was absorbed into Unit 01. Central Dogma is then sealed again, though at some point a spear is switched out. Probably by a Rei clone, ordered by Gendo possibly under order from Seele.

At some point we then get to Operation US and start 3.33

Asuka is particularly angry at Shinji because she (possibly erroneously) believes that Shinji could have saved her, and she wouldn't have the eye thingy going on. In the 14 years Mari and Asuka have grown quite close (and awesome) and Mari caring for Asuka's feelings, urges Shinji to go help Asuka. Shinji of course does not because he hasn't changed at all.

Despite Kaworu's seemingly all-knowingness, his reactions to the two spear conundrum suggest that while Kaworu is aware of his separate existences, he does not share their all their memories, only a shared knowledge base. This seems likely as if all the angels knew what they did in previous rounds they wouldn't try to do the exact same thing over and over again.

Evangelion 4 will be a super robot buddy comedy primarily starring Mari and Asuka. Gainax will sleep on beds of money for years to come.

Also at some point people worked out how to use AT fields to fly.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

AmiYumi posted:

There've been a number of Evangelion games over the past couple years, actually; it's just that most of them are Pachinko, one was a rhythym game, and the rest were upgraded ports of PS2 games.

Battle Orchestra and 3nd Impact were pretty boss, though.

Unit 13 gets its Bits from one of the Evas in Battle Orchestra, actually.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

MadRhetoric posted:

Unit 13 gets its Bits from one of the Evas in Battle Orchestra, actually.
Hadn't even made that connection, but I think you're right. The big green Eva that sets up laser arrays, right?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I can't deal with this list. It unironically put NGE at 22, 2 slots ahead of GitS:SAC with Code Geass and Black Lagoon just below that. That's just the beginning...

I knew looking for an anime list on IMDB was a terrible idea, but I couldn't help myself at the time for some reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Man, I was expecting some kind of horrifically awful statistically collated toplist, that's just some dude's personal favorites. He's even got pretty good taste, although I guess he doesn't know about the Usagi Drop manga's ending.

EDIT: I take it back, he likes Elfen Lied.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The lack of either Hellsing anime purely as a wacky, hilariously violent series about vampires, without (most of) the emo brooding makes me not trust his list too much.

But then, I've only really watched maybe five different series (NGE, Big O, the newer Hellsing OVAs, Tiger and Bunny and Now and Then, Here and There), so what do I know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like you might like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, another giant robot series made by Gainax, if you also enjoyed Tiger and Bunny. It's a forum favorite around here.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

ViggyNash posted:

I can't deal with this list. It unironically put NGE at 22, 2 slots ahead of GitS:SAC with Code Geass and Black Lagoon just below that. That's just the beginning...

I knew looking for an anime list on IMDB was a terrible idea, but I couldn't help myself at the time for some reason.

Eh, all in all it's not a terrible list, though there are a few questionable inclusions and in my opinion the placement is all out of whack. I mean 'best of' lists inevitably suck rear end and one as broad as a top 50 list is just going to be terrible. Recommendations for different categories such as genre or best for newcomers or kids is always a much better approach. It's not as crazy subjective and it's a thousand times more useful for people looking for good things to watch because it's much easier to latch onto and generally you have to provide more details then 'This is really good; This ones kinda good'. I mean look how schizophrenic the result of an all inclusive list can be. The series range from Baccano! to Crest of the Stars to Melancholy of Haruhi Suzuyima to Beserk to Planetes. While a tiny portion of readers are going to have eclectic enough tastes to like all the genres and styles present, most people who might really love one series will be apathetic to outright disliking other series, making the list useless as a reference. I don't know, it comes off as a well intentioned, but not well thought out.

Although actually I just finished reading through the list and the guy who compiled it put In the Time of Eve at 43, one space behind Tenchi-loving-Muyo, so gently caress this guy and his bullshit list.

edit: Oh, that last bit made me forget this.

Wade Wilson posted:

But then, I've only really watched maybe five different series (NGE, Big O, the newer Hellsing OVAs, Tiger and Bunny and Now and Then, Here and There), so what do I know.

In addition to checking out TTGL, you might actually want to give a look at the number one anime on that list, Cowboy Bebop. You can argue about if it's deserving of the number one spot, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people would put it in their top five and most people would included it in their top ten. There are a lot of other really good to decent series on that list, but I think Cowboy Bebop has far and away the broadest appeal, thanks in no small part to it's brilliant dub.

cafel fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 19, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know if I'm weird, but I'm not nearly as enamored with Cowboy Bebop as literally everyone else seems to be. I won't deny that it is one of the best shows out there, but I never really saw it as the end-all of anime.

But I still wholeheartedly suggest it as well. I could also recommend a whole host of other shows, but lets save that for the recommendation thread. If you do go there, prepare yourself for the onslaught of WATCH LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES DAMMIT posts.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 19, 2013

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One thing that can be said about Cowboy Bebop is that its soundtrack was a masterpiece that has yet to be matched, nearly 15 years on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know this is the Eva thread, but could somebody familiar with the series give a one-sentence description of Cowboy Bebop? I'm sort of interested in it but all the descriptions of it are very generic and the name is silly but I've heard it's great.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

ACanofPepsi posted:

I know this is the Eva thread, but could somebody familiar with the series give a one-sentence description of Cowboy Bebop? I'm sort of interested in it but all the descriptions of it are very generic and the name is silly but I've heard it's great.

Space cowboy bounty hunting in the future.

edit: You should give the first episode a spin, that in itself should tell you whether you'd be interested in the rest of the series or not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just really like the dog, and the crazy girl. That show made tons of nerds want to go out and adopt a corgi. The cast of characters is pretty good, they are very likable.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

ACanofPepsi posted:

A cool dude named Spike and his ex-cop friend are starship-piloting bounty hunters who go around the galaxy in search of cash and eventually they pick up a woman, a dog, and a girl who's a skilled hacker and together they discover information about themselves and their pasts while having adventures together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not so much the premise of Cowboy Bebop that makes it special but rather the impeccable execution, production values, and style. It's kind of like the Chrono Trigger of anime where a lot of great talent collected briefly to make something wonderful.