Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Vigilance posted:

Oberyn makes a cryptic comment about Tywin not living forever. Oberyn is known to love poisons and uses them against Gregor. Oberyn knows that Tywin was the one who gave Gregor his orders to kill Elia and the kids. Oberyn has a clear motive to kill Tywin and the means via poison to get it done.

Other clues include Tywin being on the shitter when Tyrion shoots him and George Raymond Richard Martin going on about Tywin's corpse giving off a nasty rear end stench when it's being viewed at his funeral.

also

ASOS; Tyrion (Pycelle talking about the poisons)

“Greycap,” he said in a quavery voice, “from the toadstool. Nightshade, sweetsleep, demon’s dance. This is blindeye. Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons. This wolfsbane, here basilisk venom, and this one the tears of Lys. Yes. I know them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stille
Oct 9, 2012
The rotting is easily explained by getting shot through the gut. The wound would spread the intestinal bacteria in the abdominal cavity much faster than it normally happens. On the other hand, it's weird how fast a crossbow bolt to the abdomen kills Tywin.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Vigilance posted:

Oberyn makes a cryptic comment about Tywin not living forever. Oberyn is known to love poisons and uses them against Gregor. Oberyn knows that Tywin was the one who gave Gregor his orders to kill Elia and the kids. Oberyn has a clear motive to kill Tywin and the means via poison to get it done.

Other clues include Tywin being on the shitter when Tyrion shoots him and George Raymond Richard Martin going on about Tywin's corpse giving off a nasty rear end stench when it's being viewed at his funeral.

Also the bit where Oberyn, Tywin, and Mace have breakfast that morning, which Tyrion thought was strange.

With regard to the rotting/smell: Pycelle was supposed to have treated the corpse, which in the general case can be assumed to get rid of odors at least for a funeral ceremony, but Cersei had a lot of contempt for Pycelle because of how badly Tywin still smelled after being patched up and perfumed to all hell. It was definitely out of the ordinary, and we know Pycelle isn't incompetent as far as Maesterly tasks go.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That all fits, I guess, but what exactly is the point of Oberyn poisoning Tywin from a narrative perspective? The big thing is that Tyrion shoots him. The fact that he was dying anyway doesn't bring anything to the table, and isn't going to affect anything in the future.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Junkenstein posted:

That all fits, I guess, but what exactly is the point of Oberyn poisoning Tywin from a narrative perspective? The big thing is that Tyrion shoots him. The fact that he was dying anyway doesn't bring anything to the table, and isn't going to affect anything in the future.

The point is that Oberyn outright told Tyrion that he was there for justice for Elia, and just the Mountain wasn't going to cut it - he wanted the guy that gave the order too. While it didn't move the narrative forward on its own, it's still another layer of the whole.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Junkenstein posted:

That all fits, I guess, but what exactly is the point of Oberyn poisoning Tywin from a narrative perspective?

Remember his brother's words? "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Joramun posted:

Remember his brother's words? "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

That turned out well for him.

It is a nice little detail, I guess.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

stille posted:

The rotting is easily explained by getting shot through the gut. The wound would spread the intestinal bacteria in the abdominal cavity much faster than it normally happens. On the other hand, it's weird how fast a crossbow bolt to the abdomen kills Tywin.

There's a pretty massive artery (abdominal aorta), along with a massive vein (inferior vena cava)in the abdomen, and you can bleed pretty fast if they get severed.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 13, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Devorum posted:

There's a pretty massive artery (abdominal aorta), along with a massive vein (inferior vena cava)in the abdomen, and you can bleed pretty fast if they get severed.

I do think Tywin expiring as swiftly as he did was an intentional extra hint from GRRM towards poisoning being the real cause of death or at least a significant factor in it, though. He makes the contrast clear when Varys shoots Kevan in a similar way and even refers to Tywin's death while doing so ("I thought the crossbow fitting. You shared so much with Lord Tywin, why not that?"), but still needs his little birds to finish his victim off completely with their daggers.

This also makes me realize that the parallels between the ending of ASOS and that of ADWD just keep piling up, which does elevate the latter beyond just what's there on the surface.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

^^^ You mean how both books ended with people making GBS threads themselves?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You know, I hadn't realized until that Time Warner video with the dragon, but... Dany doesn't have dragons in the show, not at all. She has loving wyverns. Wyverns breathe fire as well, but don't have non-wing forelimbs.

gently caress, our legally distinct sexual parody seems a lot less distinct now :mad:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Change it to celestial dragons. We haven't gone to press yet.

Plus dragons with mustaches are totes cool.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

She has loving wyverns. Wyverns breathe fire as well, but don't have non-wing forelimbs.

I don't see a poisoned barb at the end of their tails. :colbert:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

So this book should have actually been called AWWW.

A Waltz with Wyverns.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Change it to celestial dragons. We haven't gone to press yet.

Anime. Mods???

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

On the previous page Contra Calculus mentioned the inevitable Disney musical adaptation of ASoIaF. Mushu should just take over the role of Drogon in that. Also voiced by Eddie Murphy, of course.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://imgur.com/gallery/11bIw

"Showed my dad pictures of GoT characters and asked him their names."

Doctor Tog
Oct 10, 2008

Clearly his dad is a fan of T.B. Thread if he believes Sansa's name is Sensa.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I feel like calling Jojen and Meera "Hawk and Raven" is some weird reference I just don't get.

And I love how one of the few names he remembered was Gilly. Of all possible people, he remembered Gilly.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:siren: Game of Bones reader sighted! :siren:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

"King of the guys" is a pretty awesome title

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Equester posted:

"King of the guys" is a pretty awesome title

As is Lord Buccaneer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least the show has done a fantastic job of summarising *~*Daario*~*'s character succinctly and got the point across well.

Also, Loras.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Mods please change my name to Therin Greydude. Thanks in advance.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Varys, also known as Dude of House Henry.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Aurain posted:

At least the show has done a fantastic job of summarising *~*Daario*~*'s character succinctly and got the point across well.

My thoughts exactly, also "Lord Weasel" for Littlefinger; There is no more accurate description.

I love "Lord Hochstein" as well.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Best part is him thinking Podrick is Gendry, and then realizing his mistake when Gendry comes up. Or Pycelle as Mr. Blackguard Dude.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I dunno, GRANDMOTHER OF BOOBS, IRON QUEEN, is pretty awesome.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Commander of the...uh...Jon Snows is my favourite.

Mostly for the image of an entire army consisted of Jon Snows bearing down on the wall, mouths never quite closing.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
Makes me wish that Mercenary who Gives Wishes was a bigger character.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And I love how one of the few names he remembered was Gilly. Of all possible people, he remembered Gilly.

is she not hot enough?

stawk Archer fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 14, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Something, something, fatpinkmast.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I dunno about hotness, but Gilly's sole function is as a timepiece.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEhByk4Icg

I love this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I can't tell if everyone involved in this hasn't or had read the books.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

pentyne posted:

I can't tell if everyone involved in this hasn't or had read the books.

That's why there's only two really good parodies out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUKDZFiy-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

One of the great things about the first one is it could get the baby thread mad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Personperson14 posted:

That's why there's only two really good parodies out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGUKDZFiy-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

One of the great things about the first one is it could get the baby thread mad.

That first one is funny.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The first one is objectively true.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

We suggest that you meet with us in person in Lotus Port

Yo, you want to know about life down on the corners of Lotus Port? Slinging that poppy milk? About the boys touting Poppy-Pop, Pirate's Delight, Arbor Fine, all that? Trying to sell poo poo to the fiends that they don't even need 'cause it's all the princes left to us?

First thing's first, everybody thinks we all just straight Islanders down here, but it's a mix. All up and down the coast, ships every day, man. We got every shade, every colour. Folks from up in Highgarden, Pentos, Asshai, wherever. Like Slaver's Bay, only most folks that end up here end up in the bottom of a bottle or the end of a milk pipe instead of an auction.

poo poo gets hard out here for a boy near the docks, but you know, sometimes it gets real whack. My moms' brother a city watch, and he told her about some poo poo the other week, where some crates stacked on the docks cracked open in the heat and what they first thought was rotten meats was dead slaves. Stacked up to the top, sealed in tight.

Like, what the gently caress is that? And people call us backwards and violent and poo poo. I heard the captain and first mate show up two days later with no hands and no faces. poo poo like that.

I hear them pale rear end folks up north coming down here always complaining about war or how winter's so long or lord so-and-so be sweating boys delivering a package. Bet they never had to deal with a hurricane viper before. Or a blood whale. Now that poo poo is real.

Oh poo poo, look, it's Spoony! That's my main man over there with his bottom cur. I hear he makes out like a pirate down at the mines. Got gold, curs, sworn swords, a modified carriage. His name rings out! poo poo, I wish I could get up out of this here and do like he do.

We been trying to move some of the stuff they dig out on the side. My man Kajalo Xro sitting on ten keys of uncut rocks. But obsidian that ain't cut ain't worth poo poo, know what I mean? The princes be all like 'hey, no slinging this rock, we need it all' or something, but how the gently caress would they know what it's like down here. We stay on the docks and corners, they stay up in they palace. The prince stay the prince.

But on the real? I'm just trying to stay alive, one day at a time. It's hard playing at this game, but everybody trying to take they cut, right? You gotta stay in the game to get out. People say that's just life. Yeah, I bet it's the same for your streets too? Maybe, maybe not. People need that milk, though. That or something else, something worse. Maybe the people that run poo poo where you live need this poo poo to keep going. And that comes down on us, man.

But that's enough philosophizing, let me take you to the plaza and see an Anacondas game, they got some skills!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SaviourX posted:

Yo, you want to know about life down on the corners of Lotus Port? Slinging that poppy milk? About the boys touting Poppy-Pop, Pirate's Delight, Arbor Fine, all that? Trying to sell poo poo to the fiends that they don't even need 'cause it's all the princes left to us?

First thing's first, everybody thinks we all just straight Islanders down here, but it's a mix. All up and down the coast, ships every day, man. We got every shade, every colour. Folks from up in Highgarden, Pentos, Asshai, wherever. Like Slaver's Bay, only most folks that end up here end up in the bottom of a bottle or the end of a milk pipe instead of an auction.

poo poo gets hard out here for a boy near the docks, but you know, sometimes it gets real whack. My moms' brother a city watch, and he told her about some poo poo the other week, where some crates stacked on the docks cracked open in the heat and what they first thought was rotten meats was dead slaves. Stacked up to the top, sealed in tight.

Like, what the gently caress is that? And people call us backwards and violent and poo poo. I heard the captain and first mate show up two days later with no hands and no faces. poo poo like that.

I hear them pale rear end folks up north coming down here always complaining about war or how winter's so long or lord so-and-so be sweating boys delivering a package. Bet they never had to deal with a hurricane viper before. Or a blood whale. Now that poo poo is real.

Oh poo poo, look, it's Spoony! That's my main man over there with his bottom cur. I hear he makes out like a pirate down at the mines. Got gold, curs, sworn swords, a modified carriage. His name rings out! poo poo, I wish I could get up out of this here and do like he do.

We been trying to move some of the stuff they dig out on the side. My man Kajalo Xro sitting on ten keys of uncut rocks. But obsidian that ain't cut ain't worth poo poo, know what I mean? The princes be all like 'hey, no slinging this rock, we need it all' or something, but how the gently caress would they know what it's like down here. We stay on the docks and corners, they stay up in they palace. The prince stay the prince.

But on the real? I'm just trying to stay alive, one day at a time. It's hard playing at this game, but everybody trying to take they cut, right? You gotta stay in the game to get out. People say that's just life. Yeah, I bet it's the same for your streets too? Maybe, maybe not. People need that milk, though. That or something else, something worse. Maybe the people that run poo poo where you live need this poo poo to keep going. And that comes down on us, man.

But that's enough philosophizing, let me take you to the plaza and see an Anacondas game, they got some skills!

I know this is the book reader's thread, but seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Hey, it's Cataphract.