Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Might as well post it here. CNN is bringing back Crossfire. Yes, they are. And :newt: is going to be a regular. Here's a sample of what we can expect:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/crossfire-hosts-gay-marriage_n_3509719.html?utm_hp_ref=media

Thanks Jeff Zucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vertical Lime posted:

Might as well post it here. CNN is bringing back Crossfire. Yes, they are. And :newt: is going to be a regular. Here's a sample of what we can expect:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/crossfire-hosts-gay-marriage_n_3509719.html?utm_hp_ref=media

Thanks Jeff Zucker

Any chance they'll bring back Jon Stewart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McDowell posted:

The new fight will be to kill 'legal' marriage. No more joint filing, and no shared benefits. The 'job creators' profit and I've seen hints of it in Right Wing Narrative.

One joke I used to make was "if we ban gay marriage pretty soon we'll have to ban straight marriage too." Slippery slope can go both ways, kids.

I never expected anybody to actually genuinely suggest that legal marriage in general should be wrecked. I'm not SURPRISED, exactly, I just didn't expect it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I never expected anybody to actually genuinely suggest that legal marriage in general should be wrecked. I'm not SURPRISED, exactly, I just didn't expect it.

The New Jersey 101.5 idiots I hear at work are on it again today. Saying their 'gay friends' never really cared about being married and who you love with isn't the State's business (and ignoring all economic implications)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
The problem is is if the government gets completely out of the whole marriage situation and leaves it to a religious institution, they'll still throw hissy fits because there will be plenty of religious institutions that will marry gay couples.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Male Female marriage is an ancient legendary tradition to be revered and upheld through all time as a paragon of humanity, the zenith of civilFUCK WAIT GAYS!?!?! BURN IT ALL DOWN

This loving country.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This loving country.

Word, yo.

In other news, did anyone else catch Maddow and or Chris Hayes tonight? Texas Democrats actually having balls? My word! And get this, they're WOMEN. There's hope for this State yet.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Alex DeLarge posted:

Word, yo.

In other news, did anyone else catch Maddow and or Chris Hayes tonight? Texas Democrats actually having balls? My word! And get this, they're WOMEN. There's hope for this State yet.

For years people have always joked about what a mess Texas Democrats as a whole are, but even a moron can look at the demographics and see the writing on the wall. I can't remember the exact number but it's something like 1500 Latino Texans are turning 18 every day. PPP did a Texas survey in January ( I know, 2013 lol and all) but Hillary was neck and neck already with Rubio and Christie in the state and had a big lead on Rick Perry.

SCOTUS and the VRA certainly will make it a tougher climb for 2016 once Perry&Friends have their way with registration laws and the cost to actually try in the state would probably be prohibitive unless the Dems can come up with > Obama silly money this cycle, but just the thought of the GOP having to defend Texas of all places has to bring a smile to any rational human's face. 2020 however, could be a brand new ball game unless something radically changes in the GOP.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Alex DeLarge posted:

Word, yo.

You'd probably enjoy this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556496

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
After about 2 years of relatively heavy right wing radio use I think I'm finally at the point where I just can't handle it anymore in anything but the smallest of doses. At first I laughed a lot while listening and enjoyed periodically yelling at my radio. Then it got to the point where I would just stare in horror like I'd driven by a 10 car pileup with dead bodies everywhere, hating what I was seeing but unable to look away. Now it's nothing but endless dulling contempt with short spikes of mindless rage. I honestly don't know how someone who actually buys into their bullshit could immerse themselves in it. That seems like it would be so much worse.

I wish I could say it was the actual pundits that finally broke me, but it wasn't, though I must admit that the coverage of Martin's killing brought me close sometimes. In the end it was those loving ads sponsored by focus on the family. 2-3 people chatter back in forth in some bad impression of a news report or a couple of exceeding happy friends talking about the most horrible bullshit. 'Did you know some teacher was fired for giving a student a bible after the student had been asking about it?' 'There's only one abortion clinic left after are latest campaign in Alabama (yay)!' gently caress. YOU.

I'm going back to second hand reports and media matters clips. My sanity demands it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Good Citizen posted:

After about 2 years of relatively heavy right wing radio use I think I'm finally at the point where I just can't handle it anymore in anything but the smallest of doses. At first I laughed a lot while listening and enjoyed periodically yelling at my radio. Then it got to the point where I would just stare in horror like I'd driven by a 10 car pileup with dead bodies everywhere, hating what I was seeing but unable to look away. Now it's nothing but endless dulling contempt with short spikes of mindless rage. I honestly don't know how someone who actually buys into their bullshit could immerse themselves in it. That seems like it would be so much worse.

I wish I could say it was the actual pundits that finally broke me, but it wasn't, though I must admit that the coverage of Martin's killing brought me close sometimes. In the end it was those loving ads sponsored by focus on the family. 2-3 people chatter back in forth in some bad impression of a news report or a couple of exceeding happy friends talking about the most horrible bullshit. 'Did you know some teacher was fired for giving a student a bible after the student had been asking about it?' 'There's only one abortion clinic left after are latest campaign in Alabama (yay)!' gently caress. YOU.

I'm going back to second hand reports and media matters clips. My sanity demands it.

Detox man, detox. Never go into the mine without a canary. You're lucky to be alive and/or not armed to the teeth and driving to the Tides Foundation.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

Detox man, detox. Never go into the mine without a canary. You're lucky to be alive and/or not armed to the teeth and driving to the Tides Foundation.

Yeah, whenever you start drifting over into, "Their headquarters would look better on fire!" territory, it's time for a break.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. Radio app just got deleted off of my phone. A few minutes on the drive home from work is one thing but letting it run for a few hours while doing my endless pile of spreadsheets thing at work was way too much.

gently caress this poo poo is poison.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This is the best time to listen to right-wing radio because they are all incredibly demoralized. It's funny that as much as D&D rightly complains about the rightward shift of the overton window on economic issues in recent years, these guys are all screaming about the entire country being taken over by liberalism with no hope for the future simply because we don't hate gays and immigrants as much anymore.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

I've been listening to Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, et al since high school, so about 12ish years at this point and I listened for somewhere around 8 hours straight the other day when DOMA died.

Some people just aren't made to torture their brains with conservative media.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
After learning that their depravity knows no bounds and that their arguments have no internal logic it really becomes a lot less fun to tune in. Like MaxxBot mentioned it's only worth it for the sweet sweet tears.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Good Citizen posted:

I honestly don't know how someone who actually buys into their bullshit could immerse themselves in it. That seems like it would be so much worse.

It's a frogs in hot water scenario, really. A lot of people didn't notice that the right wing has become continually more insane over the past few decades so they haven't jumped out. Meanwhile, the right wing is so utterly loving bonkers at this point that it's impossible to get people to climb into the boiling pot.

As much as the Republican party likes to lament that liberalism is destroying it let's face it, the Republican party's worst enemy at this point is the Republican party.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

After about 2 years of relatively heavy right wing radio use

I can barely even listen to clips of Right Wing radio. The one part of my brain goes "not only is that not true, but that is dumb" the other part of the brain goes "PEOPLE loving BELIEVE THIS poo poo". And then I get mad.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am really glad nobody is listening to me while I'm in the car listening to this poo poo. I'm always terrified I'll pocket dial someone or something and they'll hear me saying... awful things. Sometimes I'll even lose it when they have a particularly stupid person on an NPR show.

THANKS OBAMA

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Right Wing Watch is great if you want to experience the best of the crazy without slowly driving yourself insane.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah. Radio app just got deleted off of my phone. A few minutes on the drive home from work is one thing but letting it run for a few hours while doing my endless pile of spreadsheets thing at work was way too much.

gently caress this poo poo is poison.

Which app were you using? I wasn't aware I could listen to their hate from my mobile device.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

Which app were you using? I wasn't aware I could listen to their hate from my mobile device.

Sure you can. Search iheartradio on the App Store

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doctor Butts posted:

I can barely even listen to clips of Right Wing radio. The one part of my brain goes "not only is that not true, but that is dumb" the other part of the brain goes "PEOPLE loving BELIEVE THIS poo poo". And then I get mad.

I honestly think that a very large portion (probably <90% in my non scientific opinion) are born into like I was. The right wing mindset, (and particularly the religious right wing mindset)is something that largely has to be instilled from a very young age because it simply does not hold up to critical thought. If you took a rational, free thinking adult with some education/basic life experience and tried to convert them to the modern Republican party they would look at you like you had two heads. These "values" must be inculcated at an age prior to the development of critical thought. One of the huge problems Republicans are facing right now is that they are completely losing their influence over the youth. And they are doing the only thing they know how to do, double down.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Good Citizen posted:

I only listen in my car when NPR bores me. To me there is nothing worse than caller driven radio. I loathe the unfocusedness of caller segments from right and left. I like to consume the radio hate from a polished professional used to forming wild conspiracies, be it Diane Rehm or El Rushbo. I just hate the imitators.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's not political radio, but if you want caller driven madness without the wing nuttery, listen to Paul Finebaum and hear a bunch of crazy characters from the southeast sound like idiots trying to one up each other, with Finebaum egging then on. I think there's a thread for it in football funhouse. It's like right wing radio but about matters of no actual consequence.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Seriously, if you've never listened to Finebaum, his callers are truly a treasure.

Listen to the last one :stare:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I've been a radio geek since I was a kid putting aluminum foil on my antenna to pick up WLS, KDKA, or any number of weird AM stations that would pop up for a half hour till the signal faded out, but I can't listen to it now. Go back a decade and I could listen to a couple hours of Hannity in the background and while I knew he was wrong about most things, there was at least entertainment value, now after 10 minutes I feel an aneurism coming on.

There's always been a whiff of crazy in what these guys do, but what makes it unlistenable for me now is just how stupid everything is. The arguments are dumb, the sycophant callers are dumber, and they don't even attempt to dissuade the really out there whackos that call in about birth certificates, or tatooing all illegals or whatever poo poo they're hyperventilating about out on any given day. Whatever faults as human beings RW talk show hosts have you can tell they're at least smart enough to know, and try to hold on to what they still can attract- and nobody knows this better than their advertisers. Most major national advertisers keep them at arms length and the ones that flock to them don't exactly paint a flattering portrayal of your average talk radio listener. A balding, impotant paranoid guy scared of the world around him and gullible enough to be suckered into get rich quick schemes and donating money to grifters in the name of getting those darn liberals!

Talk radio stations used to be most radio markets biggest earning stations, even if they weren't ratings leaders, because of the demographics of the listeners. These days sales are down and more and more are dumping talk in favor of sports because they just can't help but kill the golden goose chasing the GOP base to the bottom.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hearing them huff and puff about "Obama's spy programs" while completely changing their tone when talking about Snowden within a few days is hilarious. Also most of the ads for my local right wing stations are data backup services, identity protection, and buying silver (the new gold).

The only thing more :wtc: is when they talk about Supreme Court rulings. They're either a voice of reason or another arm of Obama's regime hell bent on building a permanent Democratic rule. :getin:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I've been a radio geek since I was a kid putting aluminum foil on my antenna to pick up WLS, KDKA, or any number of weird AM stations that would pop up for a half hour till the signal faded out, but I can't listen to it now. Go back a decade and I could listen to a couple hours of Hannity in the background and while I knew he was wrong about most things, there was at least entertainment value, now after 10 minutes I feel an aneurism coming on.

There's always been a whiff of crazy in what these guys do, but what makes it unlistenable for me now is just how stupid everything is. The arguments are dumb, the sycophant callers are dumber, and they don't even attempt to dissuade the really out there whackos that call in about birth certificates, or tatooing all illegals or whatever poo poo they're hyperventilating about out on any given day. Whatever faults as human beings RW talk show hosts have you can tell they're at least smart enough to know, and try to hold on to what they still can attract- and nobody knows this better than their advertisers. Most major national advertisers keep them at arms length and the ones that flock to them don't exactly paint a flattering portrayal of your average talk radio listener. A balding, impotant paranoid guy scared of the world around him and gullible enough to be suckered into get rich quick schemes and donating money to grifters in the name of getting those darn liberals!

Talk radio stations used to be most radio markets biggest earning stations, even if they weren't ratings leaders, because of the demographics of the listeners. These days sales are down and more and more are dumping talk in favor of sports because they just can't help but kill the golden goose chasing the GOP base to the bottom.

Hannity is definitely different than he was a decade ago. Hell, he used to have Hal Turner, white supremacist radio host, as a regular call in. Funny story about Turner and Hannity, for awhile a couple of years ago Turner was talking about how he had some recording that would utterly devastate Hannity's career. He was trying to auction it off or something.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Crasscrab posted:

Hannity is definitely different than he was a decade ago. Hell, he used to have Hal Turner, white supremacist radio host, as a regular call in. Funny story about Turner and Hannity, for awhile a couple of years ago Turner was talking about how he had some recording that would utterly devastate Hannity's career. He was trying to auction it off or something.

Conservative careers never really die, they just end up on WorldNetDaily.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'm not any sort of sports fan. But those days I tune into Levin on the drive to work and I hear him get cut off mid-rant by the pre-game show for some random college sports game, I feel that there is a little justice in the world after all :unsmith:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I'm not any sort of sports fan. But those days I tune into Levin on the drive to work and I hear him get cut off mid-rant by the pre-game show for some random college sports game, I feel that there is a little justice in the world after all :unsmith:

Bad sports opinions are infinitely more preferably to the hate vitriol that these fuckers spew. I listen to a lot and going to someone telling me that Lebron is a choker because he only won 2 out of 4 NBA championships is a breath of fresh air after listening to the vile poison that comes through on the right wing stations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ramadu posted:

Bad sports opinions are infinitely more preferably to the hate vitriol that these fuckers spew. I listen to a lot and going to someone telling me that Lebron is a choker because he only won 2 out of 4 NBA championships is a breath of fresh air after listening to the vile poison that comes through on the right wing stations.

Hockey is over and in Chicago the the sports radio hosts would give anything to not talk about baseball.
What I'm saying is we'd have the opposite cut-in over here. Where the Cubs would be replaced mid-loss for a Levin rant. (it's preferable than to hear them blow ANOTHER three run lead.)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 30, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Hockey is over and in Chicago the the sports radio hosts would give anything to not talk about baseball.
What I'm saying is we'd have the opposite cut-in over here. Where the Cubs would be replaced mid-loss for a Levin rant. (it's preferable than to hear them blow ANOTHER three run lead.)

I could see that working out well.

[dejected sports announcer]
Well... It look like the Cubs /cut/

[Levin]
ARE TRY TO FUNDAMENTALLY TRANSFORM AMERICA WITH THEIR RADICAL MARXIST AGENDA

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

[Levin]

My team, always redistributing wins to the rest of the league. :allears:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nice Davis posted:

My team, always redistributing wins to the rest of the league. :allears:

Time to commit to honorable Hary-Kary.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 30, 2013

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey, they may not win much, but they're always good for a laugh :haw:

I stopped paying attention to them years ago.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

[Levin]

What I get from this is that if the Cubs ever win the World Series it will herald the coming of America's downfall to socialism.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gen. Ripper posted:

What I get from this is that if the Cubs ever win the World Series it will herald the coming of America's downfall to socialism.

And now I'm a Cubs fan.

Thanks.

Jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

e:super wrong thread