Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I had heard next year. :( But I don't know how official that is.

I don't mind the wait. It at least makes the time between 3.33 and 4.0 a little less long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't wait for the english dub, maybe I will understand 3.33 a bit better because I have a hard time paying attention to subs.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Well, just finished watching 3.0.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Really, there's just not enough information in 3.33 to fill in the gaps at this point. You can extrapolate a lot but that's as much as you can do. Real purty though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

RillAkBea posted:

Really, there's just not enough information in 3.33 to fill in the gaps at this point. You can extrapolate a lot but that's as much as you can do. Real purty though.

You think 4.0 is going to actually explain anything? That's not how Eva has ever worked before.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

You think 4.0 is going to actually explain anything? That's not how Eva has ever worked before.

Oh my no, I'm expecting a buddy movie of Mari and Asuka.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My biggest beef about 3.33 was that we don't really know much about what happened in the year Shinji was away except for a few things. I wish they would have focused on more time with Misato and them and less piano time.

My one big hope for 4.0/Final is just for more mindfuckery. Don't let me down Anno. :v:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PonchAxis posted:

My biggest beef about 3.33 was that we don't really know much about what happened in the year Shinji was away except for a few things. I wish they would have focused on more time with Misato and them and less piano time.

My one big hope for 4.0/Final is just for more mindfuckery. Don't let me down Anno. :v:

He was missing for 14 years:ssh:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Scyantific posted:

He was missing for 14 years:ssh:

Oh I know I just wish they showed more or talked more about what had happened.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

DFu4ever posted:

Well, just finished watching 3.0.

I finally got around to watching it a few nights ago and this was me about 30mins in

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
With regards to Haruhi y'all are forgetting about Endless Eight. That demonstrated a level of dedication to pissing off fans that even Evangelion never approached.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10452-Full-Metal-Genesis

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

With regards to Haruhi y'all are forgetting about Endless Eight. That demonstrated a level of dedication to pissing off fans that even Evangelion never approached.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10452-Full-Metal-Genesis

Sounds about right. Shinji is shameful, that was made pretty clear.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is that Fullmetal Alchemist? I can see why they call him that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

That's Ed, and no, he's not the Fullmetal Alchemist. That title goes to his brother.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Be careful with that. The pipsqueak's gonna get mad.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

Without anything else right now, what happened is assumed to have been shown in the "Next time on Eva" segment at the end of 2, seems to be all that is needed anyways really.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
The last movie should have a marvel movie style after credits scene. Years ago someone is saying "this gigantic trillion-dollar program is entirely dependent on the mental states of like 3 teenagers, they should probably have therapists or something", and Gendo is like "nah".

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

PonchAxis posted:

You can put together a vague timeline and extrapolate a bunch of stuff from previous events.

For example: Angel attacks take the form of a cross, especially in the rebuild. Central dogma is booby trapped to detonate if an angel enters the shaft. There are giant stone crosses on the landscape in 3.33, and Nerv HQ is suspended on a similar spire with central dogma all but exposed. Lilith has been activated. Therefore it's probable that an angel with an earth deforming attack ripped HQ out of the ground bypassing the booby traps, and activated Lilith.

Though we can't say for definite, it's the likeliest possibility from what we know.

Also personally I think the headlessness is just empty symbolism with no bearing on the storyline.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 29, 2013

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have to play it super fast and loose with the details to make it work, but I envision Shinji in these movies to be Anno's self insert in regards to the anime industry. There's reluctant embracing of the industry and slowly improving skillset in the 1st movie, a ridiculous new high and subsequent burnout (Eva &EoE) in the 2nd, and 14 years later he returns to the industry and everything's gone completely retarded in the 3rd.

I realize this is utter poppycock, but it's an amusing thought the more I think about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

Hell this please. This is all I really want.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

PonchAxis posted:

4.0 is going to be 25/26 redrawn frame by frame on a larger budget. A new generation of fans needs to be made absolutely livid by an anime, and Anno is going to be the man to satisfy that need yet again.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
From the tone of the past couple of pages, he may have already succeeded!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

RillAkBea posted:

Mari and Asuka's interactions are seriously the best parts of the movie, as well as Mari herself. She is kickin' rad.

I'm terrible at movies; I enjoyed 3.33, for what it's worth. Maybe I just wanted to see more of the characters I love? I think I am the unwashed masses :saddowns:

RillAkBea posted:

For example:

Though, what is worse than an Angel tearing up Nerv? An angel that can disguise itself as an Eva, Mk6 for example. Guessing Kaworu got played like a sucker. Wouldn't really explain why the NervPool is floating in the sky though.

I'd like to think the events of the 3.33 trailer at the end of 2.22 still took place. Mk6 descending on Dogma, Gendo and Fuyutsuki w/ donkey going mountain climbing (:3:)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

A Pinball Wizard posted:

From the tone of the past couple of pages, he may have already succeeded!

So what you're saying is 4.0 will be the EoE to 3.0's 25/26?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Though, what is worse than an Angel tearing up Nerv? An angel that can disguise itself as an Eva, Mk6 for example. Guessing Kaworu got played like a sucker. Wouldn't really explain why the NervPool is floating in the sky though.

I got the impression that the 12th Angel was basically a redesigned Armisael (the double-helix one near the end of the TV show, tries to fuse with Unit Zero, makes Rei blow herself up), from the way Asuka and Mari acted like they'd encountered it before and the way it burst out of Mark 6's head. I like to imagine that the Mark 6 went out to face the 12 Angel, got possessed, descended on Dogma and almost started Fourth Impact before Kaowru or Asuka or someone chucked a spear at it to trap it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Phobophilia posted:

So what you're saying is 4.0 will be the EoE to 3.0's 25/26?

Fan reaction wise, probably. Setup wise, most definitely. You even have Shinji completely inert with despair being dragged bodily along to the next plot point by his only remaining emotional anchor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zeruel posted:

I'm terrible at movies; I enjoyed 3.33
Man, 2.22 must've been a real buzzkill for you. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, 2.22 must've been a real buzzkill for you. :v:

I honestly only really enjoyed 2.22 fully once 3.33 came out and I saw that the parts I disliked were something I was supposed to dislike. v:shobon:v

Except Mari, I still have no idea what the gently caress her deal is.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly only really enjoyed 2.22 fully once 3.33 came out and I saw that the parts I disliked were something I was supposed to dislike. v:shobon:v

Segwaying into AsukaChat for a moment:
Mari near the end of 3.33 says At least save the princess!, and Asuka says You didn't come and help me.

What the hell is this in reference to?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zeruel posted:

Mari near the end of 3.33 says At least save the princess!, and Asuka says You didn't come and help me.

Princess is just Mari's nickname for Asuka.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zeruel posted:

Asuka has a gigantic ego and thinks the universe revolves around her. The characters like pointing this out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

It was a joke because his SA username is Zeruel :thejoke:

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mari is just proof that there are normal, well-adjusted people in the show's world

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Edged Hymn posted:

Mari is just proof that there are normal, well-adjusted people in the show's world

:crossarms: Yeah man, Mari is just hells of normal.

Like I guess compared to the rest of the cast she can seem that way, but still. ZA BEASTO. :unsmigghh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Edged Hymn posted:

I don't think normal, well-adjusted people jump into a berserking Evangelion with "nothing ventured, nothing gained!" on their lips.

(Granted, I love that line in context and would consider screencapping it for an avatar if not for how the rest of SA reacts to anime. I'm also still waiting to see if Mari suddenly becomes more important in 4.0, and if her ideology serves her better than, well, how everyone else's has served them.)

fakeedit: "Self-actualized" might be a better word than "normal."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 30, 2013

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"Normal" in the sense that she acts exactly how Shinji's detractors want him to act: full of shounen energy and burning passion

edit: Only in Eva would an almost non-character that likes to chill out and joke around with her friends be so drat conspicuous

Edged Hymn fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 30, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zeruel posted:

She's mad at Shinji because he didn't do poo poo to save her from Bardiel, but then started the third impact to save Rei.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think normal, well-adjusted people jump into a berserking Evangelion with "nothing ventured, nothing gained!" on their lips.

(Granted, I love that line in context and would consider screencapping it for an avatar if not for how the rest of SA reacts to anime. I'm also still waiting to see if Mari suddenly becomes more important in 4.0, and if her ideology serves her better than, well, how everyone else's has served them.)

fakeedit: "Self-actualized" might be a better word than "normal."

She was the only one standing in the way of Terminal Dogma from being compromised, what else is she suppose to do? It's not like she was overreacting to a mundane situation, but rather under reacting to a something larger than life.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terminal Entropy posted:

She was the only one standing in the way of Terminal Dogma from being compromised, what else is she suppose to do?

I'm not saying she should have done something else. I'm saying she's someone who thrives on pain and conflict, or at least takes them as proof she's alive. I can't imagine Mari doing well at anything other than piloting Evas, and I think that's what she and the other Children have in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not saying she should have done something else. I'm saying she's someone who thrives on pain and conflict, or at least takes them as proof she's alive. I can't imagine Mari doing well at anything other than piloting Evas, and I think that's what she and the other Children have in common.

She seems to enjoy piloting yes, but doesn't seem to have her ego wrapped up in it like Asuka does, which has been the nice foil between the two.