Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Edged Hymn posted:

edit: Only in Eva would an almost non-character that likes to chill out and joke around with her friends be so drat conspicuous

What, weren't Kaji, Misato, and Ritsuko enough? Anyway, those aren't the three adjectives that leap to my mind when I think of Mari... how about conspiring, exhibitionist, berserker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

That's about the only title she needs. She is crazy and she knows it and she does not give any shits.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have no loving clue what is happening in this thread anymore. This thread is 3.33.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Terminal Entropy posted:

She seems to enjoy piloting yes, but doesn't seem to have her ego wrapped up in it like Asuka does, which has been the nice foil between the two.

Ironically, I don't think Asuka has her ego quite so wrapped up in piloting in Rebuild.

Either that or she just feels more needed during and after the timeskip than she did in the series, but the way she looks to Mari and even Shinji for help suggests she's outgrown that, at least a bit.

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

House Louse posted:

What, weren't Kaji, Misato, and Ritsuko enough? Anyway, those aren't the three adjectives that leap to my mind when I think of Mari... how about conspiring, exhibitionist, berserker?

Misato has serious daddy issues, and Ritsuko put her heart on the line for a guy whose using her to revive his dead wife. But yeah I'll give you Kaji :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You forgot Ritsuko's mommy issues. Seriously, that's just weird.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

House Louse posted:

Misato spent her teenage years catatonic, Ritsuko is in love with the man who hosed her mother and Kaji has spy problems/doesn't feel he deserves happiness (in the manga).

The only healthy characters in Eva are the side characters. And PenPen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Penpen is secretly suicidal. We just don't know because we don't speak penguin. He's like the penguin version of Shinji.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Am I the only one who thought that PenPen was going to be an Angel? The about the characters menu on the Perfect Collection DVD said that he "knows more about the Angels than he lets on..." I thought that was EVA codeword for HE'S A PENGUIN ANGEL.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Penpen is secretly suicidal. We just don't know because we don't speak penguin. He's like the penguin version of Shinji.

PenPen, pilot the eva.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I said come in! posted:

PenPen, pilot the eva.

I mustn't wark away...

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is Penpen even alive anymore? I don't think he/she gets mentioned at all in 3.0 or the 4.0 preview.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Account_Username posted:

Is Penpen even alive anymore? I don't think he/she gets mentioned at all in 3.0 or the 4.0 preview.

Why would you even bring that up? Even if he isn't we're all gonna pretend he is. We'll fit him into the story somewhere.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Obviously PenPen was somehow responsible for all of the surreal poo poo in the third movie. The low-hanging moon, the mouth canyon, the red eva clones, all of it. Naturally these incredible mind-blowing events will never be animated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PenPen triggered the 2nd and 3rd impact. I thought this would be obvious to you guys!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I also have a suspicion that it was in fact PenPen that replaced the lance in 3.0.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ummmm, it's already canon that PenPen is their giant angel whale ship thing.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

They forgot Pen Pen exists.

I'm telling you, they're making it like fanfiction on purpose.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Penpen will replace Mari as the lovely one dimensional fan service character in 4.0

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Penpen's soul will be an integral part of the new P Type Equipment introduced to drive model sales.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Penpen's mysterious absence was pretty much just a question of time. At this point, I'm surprised Ritsuko is still part of the cast.

Also, penguins live only about 15 years. He's dead guys. :sigh:

...speaking of which, where was Penpen during End of Evangelion? Did he turn to tang as well? Now I want to know what he saw.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Matchbox posted:

Penpen will replace Mari as the lovely one dimensional fan service character in 4.0

Let me explain you a thing, PenPen is actually a very complex character and

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Penguins don't have souls! They can't even fly

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought Pen-Pen was the 17th Angel.

Torquemadras posted:

...speaking of which, where was Penpen during End of Evangelion? Did he turn to tang as well? Now I want to know what he saw.
Misato sent him to live with someone else in one of the later TV episodes.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Matchbox posted:

Penguins don't have souls! They can't even fly

You bastard, that's racist. Of course they can fly(in the water).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, how old was PenPen in the first two movies? Penguins live about 20 years, so he'd be pretty fuckin' old in Rebuild 3, depending on how old he was in those first two movies.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nate RFB posted:

I thought Pen-Pen was the 17th Angel.
Misato sent him to live with someone else in one of the later TV episodes.

I think she sent him to live with Hikari and her family.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
For some insane reason I've decided to marathon the series + EoE over the last 2 days. Someone offhandedly mentioned the series to me, and I realized I never saw much more of it other than 3 or 4 VHS I had of the dub when I was younger. It's been about as hosed up as I could have hoped/expected. Time to trudge my way through the rest of the movies, I suppose!

Since we're on the subject of Pen-Pen, and I'm fresh off of watching the series, it's pretty clear to me. He's a figment of Misato and Shinji's imagination. Asuka never acknowledges him, and he conveniently gets "sent away" at the end. I say this jokingly, but I can only assume this is a genuine conspiracy that gets argued.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

For some insane reason I've decided to marathon the series + EoE over the last 2 days. Someone offhandedly mentioned the series to me, and I realized I never saw much more of it other than 3 or 4 VHS I had of the dub when I was younger. It's been about as hosed up as I could have hoped/expected. Time to trudge my way through the rest of the movies, I suppose!

Since we're on the subject of Pen-Pen, and I'm fresh off of watching the series, it's pretty clear to me. He's a figment of Misato and Shinji's imagination. Asuka never acknowledges him, and he conveniently gets "sent away" at the end. I say this jokingly, but I can only assume this is a genuine conspiracy that gets argued.

Figments of peoples' imaginations don't cause the apocalypse.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Pen Pen never acknowledges her.

He does have a sort of Greek chorus-like aspect to some of his appearances though, commenting on goings on in the apartment by his expression.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Pen Pen never acknowledges her.

You forget the kiss scene.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

You forget the kiss scene.

"Why is he standing there holding his breath, what a fuckin weird kid." *returns to his soap*

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

Oh, she acknowledges PenPen in Rebuild alright.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Terminal Entropy posted:

Oh, she acknowledges PenPen in Rebuild alright.

PenPen is Misato's vibrator in the rebuild?

I'm sorry...it just...popped in there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gatts posted:

:frogout:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Figments of peoples' imaginations don't cause the apocalypse.

Depends on who's imagination it is.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Gatts posted:

Paging Dr. Freud.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A Freudian slip is where you say one thing and mean your mother is a robot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I listen to a Gojira song that has that weird vertical pick slide/scrape, I imagine it's the sound the souls inside the EVA's make when trying to get out.

Random musings aside, has it been confirmed when are we getting a dubbed BD/DVD of 3.33?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I'm interested in watching the rebuild movies and I was wondering if there were any options to legally watch them without buying a Blu-ray, like Netflix, Hulu, On Demand, etc.