Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Two new Seki-kuns.

http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c026/1.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c027/1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Haha, this episode was mostly in Yokoi's mind. It's really getting out of control, probably thanks to Seki's influence!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

That was great!

Stealth Action Leaf Pile :ninja:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Hating Girl has really unique art for a Japanese manga; it's almost like the art in some western newspaper comics or something.

I finished reading Angel Densetsu today and really liked it. I actually liked it a lot more than Claymore and hope that the author goes back to doing comedy after he finishes it.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

It doesn't really stay as surreal daily life for long but Qualia the Purple is about a girl whose best friend can only see people as robots and it starts with silly situations at school based around this (then it goes off the deep end). Going by the series that get talked about in this thread I think you guys would like it, I think it's really good. I made a thread for it here.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 1, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Hinamatsuri - http://mangafox.me/manga/hinamatsuri/v05/c027/2.html

In which Hina finally reveals her Top Five Favourite Foods and Anzu is still the best girl. The best.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 2, 2013

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
So a manga started being translated recently that I think fits pretty well here.

Scientia

Scientia is a series of short stories set in the not-so-distant future, where life hasn't changed all that much and yet many new things are possible.

Two chapters out of seven have been translated so far. Both of the translated chapters start in a fairly dark way, but the overall tone of the manga seems to be very positive. So far, I've been finding it charming and just well executed in general.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I was expecting both of those stories to go into a terrible body horror. I like the writing so far but I hope every once in a while they go a different route to keep it fresh. Enjoyed it over all though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That is a really interesting series of stories, I'd like to see more of them! I'm rather reminded of the sci fi short stories I'd sometimes read in magazines like "Asimov's" or "Amazing". Also, the slightly different art style is really appealing to me -- I think a lot of the manga showcased in this thread have unique and slightly "indie" art styles, and in that respect, "Scientia" belongs nicely.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I also saw this mentioned in the seinen thread, but Soil ( http://www.mangahere.com/manga/soil/ ) is a series that sort of fits the theme of this thread and is good enough that I'll be happy if me posting about it here results in some people reading it who might not have otherwise. The plot is very interesting and certainly surreal, though it's not really slice of life.

In particular, I really like the art*. It's incredibly unique and the characters actually resemble Japanese people.

*For some mysterious reason the comments section was full of people talking about how much they hate the art. :psyduck: Some people have pretty terrible taste.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
There's something weird about Scientia, it reads almost like government propaganda: Work really hard to find fulfillment, and rather than staying home and building models go and try to fall in love with a homely girl (and work hard)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Vesi posted:

There's something weird about Scientia, it reads almost like government propaganda: Work really hard to find fulfillment, and rather than staying home and building models go and try to fall in love with a homely girl (and work hard)

Honestly this has been a message in some mangas for the longest time. Live a humble hard-working life and you will be rewarded is a thing I always remember taking away from manga and anime alot.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
This manga is like a really bad Franken Fran, but it might scratch that itch for some people.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Life is best with a daily dose of Donut Cats.

I love Robosaki. He just has the worst/best personality. :allears:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Kokoro Wish posted:

Honestly this has been a message in some mangas for the longest time. Live a humble hard-working life and you will be rewarded is a thing I always remember taking away from manga and anime alot.

Usually it's not so blatant. The moral of the first chapter is "Depressed? Then work harder!" and the second chapter is "Trouble balancing love and work? Choose work!"

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Wandering Knitter posted:

Usually it's not so blatant. The moral of the first chapter is "Depressed? Then work harder!" and the second chapter is "Trouble balancing love and work? Choose work!"

That's not how I read it at all. The first one just seemed to be the fairly standard message of "life won't get better if you give up." The second one was about the need to be able to compromise. He wasn't choosing work over love, he was working for the sake of the person he loves. He even straight-up said it's just a job to him.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ytlaya posted:

I think I also saw this mentioned in the seinen thread, but Soil ( http://www.mangahere.com/manga/soil/ ) is a series that sort of fits the theme of this thread and is good enough that I'll be happy if me posting about it here results in some people reading it who might not have otherwise. The plot is very interesting and certainly surreal, though it's not really slice of life.

In particular, I really like the art*. It's incredibly unique and the characters actually resemble Japanese people.

*For some mysterious reason the comments section was full of people talking about how much they hate the art. :psyduck: Some people have pretty terrible taste.

Just went through the whole thing in pretty much one sitting. Now I'm going nuts waiting for the ending.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was just thinking about Soil, and was about to go see if they ever finished translating it. That was a year ago, drat it! End! End! :argh:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Alright, this does not belong anywhere near this thread. Qualia belongs somewhere in the nonexistent "spectacularly amazing" thread. Seriously guys, don't let the carefree, slightly-lesbian tones of the first chapter fool you - it gets :krad: real fast.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

HellCopter posted:

Alright, this does not belong anywhere near this thread. Qualia belongs somewhere in the nonexistent "spectacularly amazing" thread. Seriously guys, don't let the carefree, slightly-lesbian tones of the first chapter fool you - it gets :krad: real fast.

I'm never going to get anything done if you guys keep making me read stuff from beginning to end.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Okay, I did not see the plot going the way it did. Not even a little. This is excellent.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I just read through Qualia and I need new chapters yesterday.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Wandering Knitter posted:

I disaree about the second story, but yeah that first one while an entertaining story was loving terrible in the theme department. "It was my fault my lazy, alcoholic mother didn't love me and my otaku boyfriend left me." loving wow.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

HellCopter posted:

Qualia belongs somewhere in the nonexistent "spectacularly amazing" thread.

We actually have that thread! :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I was reading the "Convince people to read a manga with one image" thread and Angel Densetsu belongs here, I think.

It's about a very nice guy with a very scary face and the friends he makes. It's all very :3:

The art is never really GOOD, but it does get better at the end then it is at the start. Still, it's quite nice.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Angel-Densetsu/Vol-1-Ch-1--Introducing-the-Scariest-Face-Around?id=1418

gobbledygoat posted:

It definitely is, which is why it's on the first page ;)

The... Manga so nice it deserves being posted twice! I haven't read the OP in ages

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 11, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
It definitely is, which is why it's on the first page ;)

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
So this just came out which I think falls under surreal daily life manga.

The daily lives of highschool girls in the middle of a zombie apocalypse.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kalion posted:

So this is what it would have looked like if Qualia had stayed in the slice of life genre.
:unsmith:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Kalion posted:

Ok I feel that this needs a label to point out that this is not actually part of the Daily Lives of High School Boys universe.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brand new Seki-kun - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c028/1.html

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I love that Seki's rubbing off on Yokoi :allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So uh, I just started reading this thread, and only recently finished Sumire.

It had no right to be that entertaining. Is the sequel no longer being translated after Old Man Quest?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Sumire 17 was a preliminary version of Sumire 16 actually. How about that last chapter, huh?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh yes! I'd been waiting for more of this. Forget "rubbing off" on her, now Yokoi's become a full-fledged accomplice!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

UP AND ADAM posted:

Sumire 17 was a preliminary version of Sumire 16 actually. How about that last chapter, huh?

Dang, really? I figured that the last chapter was setting up the sequel.

And that still doesn't answer my question because it clearly lists other chapters :colbert:

Raserys fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 22, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Oh yes! I'd been waiting for more of this. Forget "rubbing off" on her, now Yokoi's become a full-fledged accomplice!

Not much longer before she's the one initiating the special projects and he's the one gazing at her in admiration. :3:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
More Seki-kun - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c030/1.html

EDIT: A solid move forward in Yokoi and Seki's budding romance.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 23, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ah, young love :allears:

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
never stop dreaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

More Seki-kun - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c030/1.html

EDIT: A solid move forward in Yokoi and Seki's budding romance.

D'awww. Yokoi's adorable lil' look of frustration, waving her book up and down impotently while Seki tries on glasses other than the ones she liked on him. :3:

• Locked thread