Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

mikeycp posted:

So Movie War Ultimatum...I'm not completely wrong in thinking that it's not very good, right?

Ultimatum was great. I don't know what criteria you judge crossover movies by that would shortchange it, unless you don't like copious amounts of CG which is understandable I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really enjoyed Ultimatum, but I confess the Wizard parts really dragged because Nitou doesn't exist yet and Haruto has just the lame dragon ring power ups. Also, the constant shots of girls thighs and accompanying sound effects whenever any female character did anything was really annoying. And the final joke/reveal felt really tasteless.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Potsticker posted:

I really enjoyed Ultimatum, but I confess the Wizard parts really dragged because Nitou doesn't exist yet and Haruto has just the lame dragon ring power ups. Also, the constant shots of girls thighs and accompanying sound effects whenever any female character did anything was really annoying.

I think it might be this. I forgot how boring pre-Beast Wizard was.

Also the thigh shots and sound effects were dumb, and I don't understand why they are in this, and why in such volume.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't know what people expected, Shinkenger was Japanese as gently caress to begin with. Even a close adaptation was gonna be pretty silly, and then they piled on the stupid FRIENDSHIP AND TEAMWORK YEAH! and ridiculous new suits specifically for megazord battles.

It being a close adaptation was pretty much the exact problem, though. People were expecting them to not do that when some members of their target audience might not know Japan exists.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I thought Ultimatum was one of Wizard's better outings. The actual plot of the show didn't carry into the movie at all, Haruto isn't absolutely loaded with powerups which I think was nothing but beneficial to his action scenes, and it didn't rely too much on his supporting cast actually supporting the cast because it had Fourze's as well. Haruto doesn't compare to Gentarou at all, but he also wasn't nearly as bland as he is in a lot of Wizard episodes. Nitou himself in Wizard is alright, but I think his main contribution to the show was that Haruto had someone decent to play off of besides loving Shunpei, and Gentarou mostly fills that role here, at least in the scenes he's in. Also the first shot of him intensely chowing down was pretty great.

I definitely agree about the thigh cam though, and it definitely didn't help that the same three sound effects were practically announcing that it was happening every time.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Gokai Green irritates the gently caress outta me on a second viewing. Does he have to act like that 24/7?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBX posted:

Gokai Green irritates the gently caress outta me on a second viewing. Does he have to act like that 24/7?

Yes he does, funhater. :colbert:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
You'd think Gokai Green would be even better on a second watch, when you can more actively try to spot his blink-and-you'll-miss-them background antics.

Playing air guitar with the Mammoth Ranger's axe. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fred is on posted:

You'd think Gokai Green would be even better on a second watch, when you can more actively try to spot his blink-and-you'll-miss-them background antics.

My favorite is him hurting his hand on the Dairanger pose.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

It being a close adaptation was pretty much the exact problem, though. People were expecting them to not do that when some members of their target audience might not know Japan exists.

They could have had an actual goddamn Japanese-American (or Japanese-New Zealander as it may be) red ranger if they were going to keep the story of him being the head of the still-literally-Japanese Shiba house. Has there even been an Asian red ranger? To be honest it pisses me off that the Samurai red ranger is white mainly because the only explanation for it is whitewashing.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah the first time he's fun to watch and stuff but more times after its like "ughhhh you're loving up the whole thing." He's the reason i'd bet they had to reshoot alot of poo poo.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They could have had an actual goddamn Japanese-American (or Japanese-New Zealander as it may be) red ranger if they were going to keep the story of him being the head of the still-literally-Japanese Shiba house. Has there even been an Asian red ranger? To be honest it pisses me off that the Samurai red ranger is white mainly because the only explanation for it is whitewashing.

Or at the very least cast a Japanese girl for the real lead. Not like she's around for that long.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
<----- After eight years I've finally found a reason to change my avatar from a bad blaxploitation reference!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just finished Dairanger. Gotta say, it took awhile to rev up but the last 15 to 20 episodes is one of the best strings of episodes the franchise has ever had.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So we should be hearing more about the next rider soon? How long till we get a snippet of their main theme? Really curious if they can finally top WBX or Anything Goes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

We're actually getting a bit overdue for the reveal now I think! Gaimu filming has been spotted, but anything else you hear this point is speculation.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So we should be hearing more about the next rider soon? How long till we get a snippet of their main theme? Really curious if they can finally top WBX or Anything Goes.
There's been all sorts of rumors about a fruit and knife mechanic since he was first announced and there keeps being more weight thrown behind that, but I'm skeptical until it gets revealed officially. There's been a silhouette of him shown, though, together with that shot from behind.

EDIT: JEFusion article, so take from that what you will, but just so I have a source of the rumors I'm talking about : Here

A question for Ultimatum-watchers: Without spoiling the plot of the movie, can anyone tell me how much time the Double/OOOs characters get? I know it's mainly Fourze and early Wizard, and I'll be happy enough with just the Fourze, but I'm a huge Double/OOOs fan and their presence in the movie is what has me most excited. I just want to know if I should prepare for some nice but short character moments like the Double team got in Megamax, or if they're just going to show up in the suits at the end to help beat the big bad.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 20, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

There's been all sorts of rumors about a fruit and knife mechanic since he was first announced and there keeps being more weight thrown behind that, but I'm skeptical until it gets revealed officially. There's been a silhouette of him shown, though, together with that shot from behind.

A question for Ultimatum-watchers: Without spoiling the plot of the movie, can anyone tell me how much time the Double/OOOs characters get? I know it's mainly Fourze and early Wizard, and I'll be happy enough with just the Fourze, but I'm a huge Double/OOOs fan and their presence in the movie is what has me most excited. I just want to know if I should prepare for some nice but short character moments like the Double team got in Megamax, or if they're just going to show up in the suits at the end to help beat the big bad.

One character shows up out of suit towards the end and once he goes into suit he stops talking. No character moments sadly.

Really the best part of Ultimatum is the Fourze ending because god drat it's good.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

HKR posted:

One character shows up out of suit towards the end and once he goes into suit he stops talking. No character moments sadly.
None of the Riders aside from the one character talk at all then? Ah~ That's a real shame. The Philip and Shotaro moments were some of my favorites in Megamax. Thanks for letting me know! I'll change my gears and look forward most to the Fourze stuff!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, the complete subs list is missing Gekiranger as done by guys who aren't TV-Nihon. What else might it be missing, does anyone know?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hey, the complete subs list is missing Gekiranger as done by guys who aren't TV-Nihon. What else might it be missing, does anyone know?

No. It isn't.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chibs posted:

Completed Series
Yes it is.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
And there is no other release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I know there's. complete sub of Maskman out now. I haven't started watching it yet, but it's on the to-do list.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

AzraelNewtype posted:

I have a complete scrub sitting on my hard drive that I got from here:

http://gekiknight.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/release-juken-sentai-gekiranger-the-series/

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 20, 2013

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

None of the Riders aside from the one character talk at all then? Ah~ That's a real shame. The Philip and Shotaro moments were some of my favorites in Megamax. Thanks for letting me know! I'll change my gears and look forward most to the Fourze stuff!

This was one of my big disappointments with Ultimatum as well, but then again I personally want them to keep Phillip and Shotaro around forever as vets to help out new riders in crossovers.

I am looking forward to a new rider reveal though, although I honestly doubt they can top WBX for a theme (but I am so obviously biased it isn't funny).

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

AzraelNewtype posted:

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=329626&showfiles=1

Except that there is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I really wanted was more Shotaro hanging out with Gentaro. That was basically the best part of that movie.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Pinwiz11 posted:

http://gekiknight.wordpress.com/2012/07/07/release-juken-sentai-gekiranger-the-series/

Doesn't exist, and if it did exist it certainly wouldn't be worth watching as the two people responsible for making it have such a poor grasp of what was wrong with the t-n version that they actually made it worse in every way except video quality.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

The scrubs are really bad you guys.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

AzraelNewtype posted:

Doesn't exist, and if it did exist it certainly wouldn't be worth watching as the two people responsible for making it have such a poor grasp of what was wrong with the t-n version that they actually made it worse in every way except video quality.

How so?

I ask because I'm planning on rewatching Geki, and I'd rather avoid t-n if possible.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
One of my favorite parts of the movie was the Matsuko Deluxe reference. I didn't quite get what the heck was going on at first but then :stare:

Ultimatum's Fourze parts were really good, it was neat to see one of the modern-day series with a proper epilogue. W seems like it could just go on forever and there's still a loose plot line hanging in OOOs that's gotta be handled in an upcoming movie, right? (Ankh coming from the future confirming that the OOOs medal is fixed sometime)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

One of my favorite parts of the movie was the Matsuko Deluxe reference. I didn't quite get what the heck was going on at first but then :stare:

Ultimatum's Fourze parts were really good, it was neat to see one of the modern-day series with a proper epilogue. W seems like it could just go on forever and there's still a loose plot line hanging in OOOs that's gotta be handled in an upcoming movie, right? (Ankh coming from the future confirming that the OOOs medal is fixed sometime)

Probably a novel at this point.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

RBX posted:

You hate sentai. Now go away

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Fred is on posted:

Falling over in GoGoFive :allears:

And golfing with Signalman's weapon

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He'd be better in kyoru. JUST SAYIN.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RBX posted:

He'd be better in kyoru. JUST SAYIN.
But their cast is so good, who would you possibly replace? You know what, I really want to see the Vs movies turn into Gokaiger vs the new team. Gokaiger had such a great cast and it was such a good series, and it even makes sense to have them keep showing up. Gokai Green + Kyoru Blue team-up :allears:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That would be horrible, at this point I just want the Gokaigers to retire like everyone else and let us have normal versus movies again.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I agree. They over shadow everybody in every movie I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

I dunno man, I didn't like Gekiranger, but at least I didn't have to put up with untranslated Jan or "Jesus-sama."

• Locked thread