Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Plaza area with Shakey's Pizza sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
I dig the shallow urban river.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I dig the shallow urban river.
Wait. I may have gotten the drainage ditch area confused with this. The river Gentaro jumps into in Fourze 1? Because that's the place I meant. :shobon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And no mention of the humble Edo set?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Can I be lame and say that my favorite Sentai set is The Warehouse?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Psh, it's the Rock Quarry all the way ya losers :colbert:

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

"This week's fight calls for a complete curb stomp. Rider or monster, that doesn't matter, but the loser is going to get BEAT."

"Meet you under the bridge, next to the shallow river then?"

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

jivjov posted:

Can I be lame and say that my favorite Sentai set is The Warehouse?

Same here, but only when the combatants get punched into it from the nondescript forest or the urban-central parking garage/underpass.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Miss Kalle posted:

I hate that quarry so much. I don't know what it is about it, but that drat quarry just makes my blood boil.

I'm cool with the shallow urban river, the abandoned warehouse, the outdoor amphitheater, and the area outside the stadium that every episode of Kamen Rider W used, but something something about that quarry just infuriates me. :argh:

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Shaezerus posted:

Same here, but only when the combatants get punched into it from the nondescript forest or the urban-central parking garage/underpass.

On that same note, I'm a big fan of the plaza/civic center arena being instantly accessible via punch to random rundown industrial complex I can remember seeing since at least Jetman.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

No love for the cave from Zyuranger/MMPR? That set got some use!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

toomanyninjas posted:

On that same note, I'm a big fan of the plaza/civic center arena being instantly accessible via punch to random rundown industrial complex I can remember seeing since at least Jetman.

There has to be someone, somewhere, who has binders chock full of notes and scribbled maps in an attempt to chart tokusatsu settings according to what characters get kicked where.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I like it when they film on beaches or rocky cliffs overlooking the sea. I don't know if it's always the same ones, but it seems like they don't do it so much anymore and it's a shame. They make for some cool, climactic battles.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I like the outdoor large storage area that tends to have the big concrete pipes (what's there tends to change each time). Least favorite is either the motorcycle junkyard or the church. The latter because I always think of Ryuki when I see it, and watching that was miserable.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really like the quarry. It's so iconic and wonderful. Especially the little cliff edge they always film everyone standing on. I want a picture of me posing on top of that thing. It would be rad as hell.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Nah, the best is the storm drain because they rarely ever break out and when they do it means SERIOUS poo poo (see: the final battle in Faiz).

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

Potsticker posted:

Look, you gotta grasp straws where you can in Rider.

Even Mayu/Mage hasn't been given a name in-show yet (though I don't think anyone refers to Haruto as Wizard. Always mahoutsukai) and she doesn't get a unique costume.

FTR she is referred to as Kamen Rider Mage in the opening credits, the same as Haruto is Kamen Rider Wizard and Nitoh is Kamen Rider Beast.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I've always liked Shallow Urban River and the Lakeside.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's Happening! Forget about Gaim(u) stalker nerd girl is joining the team.

So all Sentai change devices automatically add skirts to the suit when a woman activates one? It's kind of neat to see that again after Gokaiger.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Morning TokuGoons, gotta question: Has there ever been an explanation over the low ratings OhRanger supposedly got? I heard it almost single-handedly ended the franchise :-(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I remember reading a blog post on the subject that said it was just the culmination of several factors, including just a general decline in popularity over the previous few years.

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008
So I've recently started Kuuga, just curious if the timing gets better as the series goes on? I can only assume it does, just these early episodes sometimes the dialogue is up there for a fraction of a second. I checked the MCS website and it sounds like they are making v3's but that's ongoing right now, and also that the first 12 or so episodes were by a different translator?

So far the translation seems fine, just the timing on some of the subs is a little quick or delayed. I have to believe it gets better as the series goes on.

As a secondary question are there any Sentai shows where the Robot battles are interesting? That's partly the reason I started going more towards Kamen Rider, I finished Shinkenger which I enjoyed, but the mech battles are kind of plodding, and the Origami mechs were very clunky in design, just curious if there is a series which has a bit more excitement to the robot fights.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I thought Go-Busters had pretty dynamic mech fights, probably because the little monsters and the megazords were unconnected.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Speaking of Shinkenger, that's my next project once I finish up KR Black. I know Overtime did some/one episode(s) and there's something called ShinkenAnon, but TV-Nihon is the only group that has the whole series subbed, right? Should I watch it half and half, or just TVN all the way through for consistency?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Speaking of Shinkenger, that's my next project once I finish up KR Black. I know Overtime did some/one episode(s) and there's something called ShinkenAnon, but TV-Nihon is the only group that has the whole series subbed, right? Should I watch it half and half, or just TVN all the way through for consistency?

I'd stick with one sub group for the whole thing. Different groups have different naming quirks and the like, and it can cause unnecessary confusion if you just switch up. I ran into that when I changed from TVN's OOO subs for Overtime. Though I was grateful in the end for the change.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Better off watching the raws once you run out of shinkenanon episodes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miss Kalle posted:

Uh no it's the bridge overpass whatever thing, the one where there were like ten fights in Ryuki and where W got the XTREME MEMORY.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dickeye posted:

Uh no it's the bridge overpass whatever thing, the one where there were like ten fights in Ryuki and where W got the XTREME MEMORY.

This whole exchange reminds me of the episode of Akiba were Akagi went to Toei and was able to recognize the different sets.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

I thought Go-Busters had pretty dynamic mech fights, probably because the little monsters and the megazords were unconnected.

Man if it's one thing I hated about Go-Busters it was the mech fights. Early in the series they're pretty dynamic with good action but then they just get so short and formulaic. I swear they dont even last 30 seconds sometimes! Such a cocktease. Shikenger's big ugly clunky tank final mech did more than Go-Buster's did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Blackest Goon posted:

Morning TokuGoons, gotta question: Has there ever been an explanation over the low ratings OhRanger supposedly got? I heard it almost single-handedly ended the franchise :-(

I have a friend who has been watching Ohranger and has given a pretty good explanation of why:

Ohranger began with the idea that the villains were terrorists and legitimately threatened the cast and people and apparently it was pretty good. Then, early in the show's run, the Tokyo Subway Sarin Gas terrorist attack happened. Suddenly, uh, they weren't exactly allowed to keep showing the villains being legitimate serious terrorists and frantically rushed to retool the show. The retooled show sucked hard because they basically had to drop everything they had planned for the show. That, combined with other factors, basically cornholed the show.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

RBX posted:

Man if it's one thing I hated about Go-Busters it was the mech fights. Early in the series they're pretty dynamic with good action but then they just get so short and formulaic. I swear they dont even last 30 seconds sometimes! Such a cocktease. Shikenger's big ugly clunky tank final mech did more than Go-Buster's did.

That Shinkenger thing pretty much got blown up in the final battle.
Go-Busters beat a Taisen-movie-sized-mega-monster in the Christmas (not final) episode. Plus the wrestling episode. Also

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

If I had to pick one image to sum up the entirety of Go-Busters, it would be that beautiful shot of sunlight coming into Ace's cockpit after it gets sliced up by that cutting Megazord.
That or the foot soldier being shot in the face in the hospital.

On an unrelated note, Go-Onger 13 is loving wonderful.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2013

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Of the three episodes so far, I've found Ultraman Ginga to have the slow, plodding giant fight choreography I've come to hate about Ultraman.

But I'm really enjoying it despite all that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

RBX posted:

Gobusters was like the only recent show were they actually used the original robot consistently through-out it, and brought out different combinations to suit what situation they were facing. How is that formulaic, especially after "Hey, we have all these different powers, but let's just use Shinkenger/Hurricanger's again!"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Doesn't mean anything if the monster is destroyed in 5 seconds. I much preferred Zyuranger type battles. Doesn't really matter if they abuse new forms or use the main robot or not i'm far more interested when they actually fight and punch and poo poo. Which is why I loved episode 38.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That happened far less often than when it didn't.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I just finished watching it a few weeks ago. Around mid-season they started shortening them. This would be far easier if poo poo was on youtube and i'm not spergy enough to actually go through the episodes one by one again.

Like the Underground enemy. They look for it find it, bring it out and kill it. Yay. Then later they just HERCULES CRISIS everything ughhhhhhhhhhh.

And my god is there any explanation for the poo poo tier upgrades the Buster's got? They looked like terrible Halloween costumes!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

RBX posted:

And my god is there any explanation for the poo poo tier upgrades the Buster's got? They looked like terrible Halloween costumes!

I love Gobusters, but this is sadly true. I liked the powers they got with them but it was pretty sad that the versions made for their parody team in the Animal Sentai movie looked way cooler than what they got in the actual series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RBX posted:

Sill better than Gokai Silver's Gold Mode :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

RBX posted:

GoBusters was always about function. That's why their upgrade wasn't something big, unwieldy, and/or ridiculous like every Battlizer ever. Plus they were designed to be used every episode once they got them, so they had to be sleek and minimalistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Still better than the Lights of Orion or whatever "upgrade" that was that shiny armor glitter in MMPR.

• Locked thread