Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

It's always fun to see the monsters that definitely do not have American counterparts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ryu Terui posted:

YOU CAN'T LOOK UP THE SCREAMING IN MY SOUL!

Even if Accel is pretty cool, I kinda hate Ryu now.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Even if Accel is pretty cool, I kinda hate Ryu now.
Hen...

...shin!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ryu has just enough non-angsty or fun moments that lines like that end up somehow endearing instead of obnoxious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryu is basically the only character I've ever hated at first glance who I eventually came to really like. I still don't know how they managed to pull that off.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like Ryu, but his relationship with Akiko kind of comes up out of nowhere.

His movie is definitely my favorite Rider movie.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I hated him then was indifferent. That relationship was bull though.

I still need to see the rest of the W movies.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I kind of liked that the relationship just sort of happened while we, the viewer, weren't paying attention. It felt a little more real like that.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Akiko trying to force a love triangle for one episode was one of my favorite parts of W

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dexie posted:

I like Ryu, but his relationship with Akiko kind of comes up out of nowhere.

His movie is definitely my favorite Rider movie.

It doesn't really come out of nowhere, it's just (weirdly) subtly built up. There's no giant dramatic love moment they just end up in a relationship after spending a bunch of time together. Which is incredibly realistic but the last place anyone expects to see realistic non-melodramatic dating is in a children's show about costumed superheroes who transform with USB devices.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

There's gotta be a better word than that.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
So if anyone is in the market for the Super Best OOO Driver, it was just released and is in stock at AmiAmi still, along with the Super Best Medal Collection set. It's only missing the orange medals for BuraKaWani if you get both.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1 - Driver; Includes 9 medals to make TaJaDor, LaToraTah, and GataKiriBa, and of course TaToBa.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1 - Medal Set; Includes medals for SaGoZo, ShaUTa, and PuToTyra combos.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OZC posted:

So if anyone is in the market for the Super Best OOO Driver, it was just released and is in stock at AmiAmi still, along with the Super Best Medal Collection set. It's only missing the orange medals for BuraKaWani if you get both.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1 - Driver; Includes 9 medals to make TaJaDor, LaToraTah, and GataKiriBa, and of course TaToBa.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...0%24pagecnt%3D1 - Medal Set; Includes medals for SaGoZo, ShaUTa, and PuToTyra combos.

drat! Medal Set is already sold out and I can't (shouldn't) buy this until next check. Any idea which shipping method is the cheapest? If their stock lasts the night, even.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
It's reasonably small, so SAL Unregistered is probably only going to be 1000 yen or so, and if you want tracking, SAL Registered is probably 1400. I'll know once they email me again so I can submit payment, but I think that's about what I paid for the shipping on the W Driver.

OZC fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 2, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OZC posted:

It's reasonably small, so SAL Unregistered is probably only going to be 1000 yen or so, and if you want tracking, SAL Registered is probably 1400. I'll know once they email me again so I can submit payment, but I think that's about what I paid for the shipping on the W Driver.
Thanks very much! That's a big help, and not bad at all. I may be able to snag it after all!

EDIT: Anyone know when or if there'll be a restock anytime soon? Waiting to get them both at once would be cheaper on shipping and give me more time, but the odds of that happening seem incredibly low.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 3, 2013

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Yeah, I just double checked my last two driver shipments and they were 1500 and 2000 yen for SAL Unregistered, for the Meteor Driver and Lost Driver respectively. The Lost Driver had the Extreme Memory in with it too though, so that raised the price a bit. Still, not too bad, and personally, I'm willing to go cheaper with SAL Unregistered since I have yet to lose anything that way so far.

As for a restock, I imagine they'll keep getting them in on a fairly regular basis. One way that I found helps to spot a potential restock is as CS Toys gets them in, AmiAmi will usually get a shipment at the same time. I think Bandai learned from the whole 6 month delay after the re-release of the W Driver and have been producing the re-releases in greater quantities.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Go-Onger was a pretty good show. Ending it with "Here we go again!" was a nice surprise. The emotional moments of the endgame were hit and miss, but that's still better than Gekiranger, which fell completely flat.

It definitely peaked with the Hiramechamedes arc. Go-Onger is at its best when the Ministers are at their most sympathetic.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 3, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Of the seven Sentai I've seen to completion, I'd rank them

1. Shinkenger (Despite TV-Nihon)
2. Go-Busters (The gently caress was I thinking a year ago when I didn't like it)
3. Jetman (Mostly because of the perfect ending episode)
4. Gokaiger (Shallow characters saved by having the action sequences be consistently impressive)
5. Gaoranger (Though I think most of the fondness I have for it is nostalgia for watching Wild Force as a kid)
6. Go-Onger (Peaks at the halfway mark, but what a loving peak)
7. Gekiranger (Terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Welp, I just ordered the OOO belt.
Hopefully this will be the last TokuToy I buy for a while...until GoBus comes out in Hong Kong...:negative:

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I'm eight episodes into Kakuranger. I hated it at first, but it's growing on me like Virginia creeper.

The episode I just finished was literally :catdrugs: !! And the actress who played Kaori in Jetman is in the next one!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm a late convert, so I've only really seen the early seasons of PR before I started watching Kyoryuger, which I've been enjoying quite a bit, but I picked up Gokaiger and I am absolutely loving it. I'm on episode 15 or so, so I haven't even gotten to the best part of the entire show. Just finished the Carranger episode and that was weird as gently caress but it had me in stitches.

Also Chroma Squad, the kickstarter about managing a sentai studio with tactical battles, has been fully funded and also announced an awesome stretch goal: "Solo rider extra episodes in campaign mode. You'll be able to play through some episodes of the campaign as a lonely hero inspired by riders."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

2. Go-Busters (The gently caress was I thinking a year ago when I didn't like it)
4. Gokaiger (Shallow characters saved by having the action sequences be consistently impressive)
5. Gaoranger (Though I think most of the fondness I have for it is nostalgia for watching Wild Force as a kid)

Hmm how would I rank what I'd seen?

Gokaiger (fun characters, lack of a clusterfuck mech for most of the show, enjoyed the guest appearances even if I didn't know who they were half the time, plot managed to keep moving at a good pace, now if only they'd faced a less terrible enemy)
Go-onger (first sentai I saw so the various "twists" were new and exciting, loved the creativity put into the world's mechanics and the like; would probably not rate it as high if I'd seen it after a few other shows though)
Zyuranger (highly enjoyed seeing the old MMPR suits and bad guys in action again, great mech fights, Dragonranger arc, etc; shame they stuck so many kids in though)
Shinkenger (loved the show's theming and designs (aside from the awful add-on mechs and the final clusterfuck) and thought a lot of the characters were well done)
Jetman (sort of dragged on for a bit in the 20s/early 30s without a sixth ranger, my two favorite rangers were shunted off and didn't get much plot time, those were my only real complaints)
Dairanger (the two middle quarters were really, really weak with underdeveloped villains and some rangers not getting much screen time, though the last quarter was great)
Gobusters (by the end even Enter had overstayed his welcome and I was glad to send the show off)
Goseiger (blame TV-N or whatever but some of the villainous groups were generic, especially the first third's bugs; a lot of the characters didn't live up to potential; the mechs were all hideous abortions, a bunch of annoying production errors, etc)

I'm also about halfway through Carranger and (obviously, Kyoryuger) and have seen what was translated of Fiveman as well. Car would be at the top, Kyoryu below Jetman and Fiveman below Jetman but above Kyoryu. Though apparently Fiveman gets a lot worse as time goes on so it will probably end up in last place.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Shinkenger
Go-Busters
Gokaiger
Zyuranger

Kyoryuger isn't over yet and I know it will never top best Sentai lists but it certainly will never be forgotten by me. It's just too much fun. Its kinda weird to explain.

RBX fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 3, 2013

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Why do you hate fun

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Paleo Twisty posted:

Why do you hate fun
I don't hate fun. Kyoryuger loving rules. (But I want more Shouji centric episodes goddammit)

Gekiranger is basically what happens when you have a bunch of TV Tropers make a Sentai series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Paleo Twisty posted:

Why do you hate fun

As a fellow Spider-Man fan I can tell you that fun died for us a long time ago.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

If we're ranking completed series we've watched:

1. Shinkenger
2. Abaranger (Only barely beat out by Shinkenger)
3. Jetman
4. GoBusters
5. Dairanger
6. Maskman
7. Gokaiger
8. Zyuranger

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

If we're ranking completed series we've watched:

1. Shinkenger
2. Abaranger (Only barely beat out by Shinkenger)
3. Jetman
4. GoBusters
5. Dairanger
6. Maskman
7. Gokaiger
8. Zyuranger
Who the hell subbed Abaranger to completion?

I mean it has HK subs, but even I know that those don't count.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Who the hell subbed Abaranger to completion?

I mean it has HK subs, but even I know that those don't count.

they are good for HK subs.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

they are good for HK subs.
Aren't HK subs literally 100% guess subs with zero actual translation?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Not at all. In fact, there's double the normal amount of translation. That's what the problem is.

Japanese-->Chinese-->English

That's why character and attack names especially get so messed up so frequently but also why the grammar can be quite bad.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DiscoJ posted:

Not at all. In fact, there's double the normal amount of translation. That's what the problem is.

Japanese-->Chinese-->English

That's why character and attack names especially get so messed up so frequently but also why the grammar can be quite bad.
Oh so that's how it works.
But then you have mishearing of the Engrish and you get GAO MAIN BASTARD.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hyphen, you should watch Boukenger next. Pretty much the whole team in that gets equal billing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Hyphen, you should watch Boukenger next. Pretty much the whole team in that gets equal billing.
Hmmm...
On the one hand, a hearty recommendation from someone who gets what I like.
On the other hand, TV-Nihon.

...does it have a good endgame?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd actually say their subs for it are among their better ones. Or at least not in the area of honorifics and such, there might be some historical errors given the show's angle.

And I think the actual final fight could have been better, but the build-up to it was awesome.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd say the king of this would be Dairanger. It feels like the whole team is considered equal there.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
It's funny everyone is making lists because my 4 year old just told me that he decided Kyoryuger was his favorite now, not Shinkenger. He's actually seen 1 or 2 episodes of Gobusters, Gokaiger, Go-onger, Bokenger, but his favorite has been Shinkenger, and we've seen every episode and movie two or three times. He was even Shinken Gold last Halloween. We're going to have to find a Kyoryu Gold costume somehow this year.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
My personal Sentai ranking:

Gokaiger

...It's the only one I've seen, besides Akibaranger. I guess I could do Kamen Rider instead, since we haven't done that in a while:

Double The only Rider show I'd call great. Memorable, fun characters across the board, solid main plot, very entertaining "filler" material, imaginative fight scenes, catchy theme song, EVERYTHING oozes style...
Kuuga Another strong contender, amazing at tension-filled, no-frills action scenes, though I got a bit bored of the (still exceptionally good) slice-of-life bits after a while.
Fourze Mostly wastes the great potential displayed in the beginning, but still a good show. Great main but cool side-characters fall by the wayside in favor of bland Meteor and boring one-shot characters. Fight scenes influenced by gimmick bloat, making some battles really fun and some just plain stupid.
Den-O Just plain fun slapstick and parody. Keeps hinting at actually having a plot, but seems to sort of give up on it in favor of more silly Imagin bickering. Way overexposed but that seems to have finally calmed down.
Kabuto Completely blows its load in the first few episodes, special effects budget-wise and the whole show somehow seems to suffer from it. Decides at one point it should be a comedy series when the overly serious main plot isn't looking, and somehow those are the parts I found by far the most enjoyable.
OOO Great side-cast orbits an utterly bland protagonist, and gets more boring the closer they get to him. Medal-swapping gimmick keeps fights fresh but the way they just go back and forth feels arbitrary. Main villain is cool (and sometimes funny) on the surface but backstory and motivation are stupid.
Ryuki Really cool premise that occasionally leads to interesting things but generally drags the hell on. Feels like it's built around some central mysteries, but when answers finally come they're dumb, handwavey and unsatisfying. Final few episodes are a bit of a trainwreck, but killing the title character off before the final episode was loving ballsy.
Kiva Again, waste of what could have made a kickass show, with a badass premise and an intriguing parallel-storyline gimmick, but clearly the writers set their sights way, way too high on this one. Holds the distinction of having possibly the only main Rider upgrade that actually looks cool.
Decade Don't get me started on Decade. (Please do. Secretly I relish excuses to write huge posts about how much I hate that show.)

I gave Hibiki a shot once but it didn't click. I hope to one day see Agito and Blade competently subbed some day, as I think I'd like them.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But I want more Shouji centric episodes goddammit

At this rate, Shouji wont even get a cup-o-noodles episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I'd say the king of this would be Dairanger. It feels like the whole team is considered equal there.

I kinda felt like Kou had the most of it though, which is weird for Sixths. Not that I minded, because I'm one of the few people who like the kid.

• Locked thread