Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense, but I don't see how pushing four women, who are minorities into the background, slapping a blue filter over their faces which obscures their skin colour and blends them into the background, while putting a white male front and centre, and implying the movie is entirely about him, isn't racist and sexist.

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, Chris O'Dowd who finds himself featured front and centre, and also appears to be the sole focus of the film's narrative

But the movie is focused on him, so it makes sense that he is front and center on the poster then, the bluing is just a hack design aesthetic to go with that matches the suit jacket and dresses. Otherwise the Ironman 3 poster that was just being talked about is racist for having Don Cheadle be to the side rather than front and center with Robert Downey Jr..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't see this being Hollywood lazy or trying to showcase the main actor. Someone specifically requested the women in the background.
The poster with O'Dowd in front is way more interesting than the one with everybody represented sort of equally. It looks like a movie about a hilarious white dude singing to the top with his sisterly gang. Yeah, it's misleading, but I really don't think it's racist or sexist. It's a bone-headed marketing ploy.

e: Also O'Dowd was in Girls and The IT Crowd. I have no idea who he is but knew I saw him from somewhere. Not surprising they'd capitalize on the one remotely well-known dude.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 5, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dillbag posted:

I think some posters are missing the point that this would be less of an issue if the film were about a group of teenage hackers or a wacky wedding and not the racism and bigotry faced by the 4 lead characters who were defocused into a background blur so that a Caucasian actor could take prominence.

Not saying that it wasn't a terrible decision all the way around. I'm just saying stuff like this happens all the time regardless of the actors race or sex.

To me Racism(I can't speak to sexism) needs to have some kind of ill intent based on a person's race. I literally got told in my elementary school's "gifted" program, that I should just go back to normal classes by a teacher's aid because "You'll never amount to anything anyway" when I asked him a question.

Them changing the cover is stupid as hell considering the content of the movie. But I don't think it's anything other than hey people might know this dude and buy it if they think it's all about him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

But the movie is focused on him, so it makes sense that he is front and center on the poster then, the bluing is just a hack design aesthetic to go with that matches the suit jacket and dresses. Otherwise the Ironman 3 poster that was just being talked about is racist for having Don Cheadle be to the side rather than front and center with Robert Downey Jr..

No it loving isn't. While O'Dowd plays a prominent role, but not only is he not the prime focus of the movie, he disappears for a part of it.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 5, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dexo posted:

To me Racism(I can't speak to sexism) needs to have some kind of ill intent based on a person's race. I literally got told in my elementary school's "gifted" program, that I should just go back to normal classes by a teacher's aid because "You'll never amount to anything anyway" when I asked him a question.

Congrats on not understanding racism or sexism then.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

This could very well be racist and sexist (and likely is) but it could also be that Chris O'Dowd is the biggest name in the movie, having been in Bridesmaids, and they're trying to sell the movie on his (not all that big) name. Like after Angelina Jolie won her Academy Award and this became the new cover to the Hackers VHS:

That edition of Hackers features another edit, in addition to the cover; they cut out the scene where Zero Cool dreams of her showing up and showing a nipple for a micro-second. Meanwhile, Gia...

...remained as it was.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh christ, I've derailed this thread. Sorry.

Also, here's the new Don John poster.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 5, 2013

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Terminal Entropy posted:

He appears to be because of that cover. Not because of the actual content of the story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darthemed posted:

That edition of Hackers features another edit, in addition to the cover; they cut out the scene where Zero Cool dreams of her showing up and showing a nipple for a micro-second. Meanwhile, Gia...

...remained as it was.

That's kind of weird, have they said why that is?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
HBO Films, that's why.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I meant why Hackers cut out the scene.

Vagabundo posted:

Oh christ, I've derailed this thread. Sorry.

Also, here's the new Don John poster.

Eh, that's kind of boring.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vagabundo posted:

I would wager that Scarlett Johansson will be hanging out in the same area of the poster as Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and Anthony Hopkins.

Total Film and Empire both report that Johansson will be a joint lead in The Winter Soldier, so maybe not.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just wanted to pop in and say that we got those two new X-Men posters in at my theater today (the ones with old/young Charles/Erik and the blue/red Xs), and they look really really fantastic with the backlight of the poster display going through them.

And that's my story.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Jedit posted:

Total Film and Empire both report that Johansson will be a joint lead in The Winter Soldier, so maybe not.
I don't know if Johannnson is a bad actress or what but I absolutely hate her as Black Widow and wish they'd cast more female superheros so they could get rid of her.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
EDIT: Oops, missed a whole page.

This popped up on IMDb:

You don't make 500 ounces of meth without making a few enemies.

Ez fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 6, 2013

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1xO7RwTV4k

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ez posted:

EDIT: Oops, missed a whole page.

This popped up on IMDb:

You don't make 500 ounces of meth without making a few enemies.

Any lovely marketing for the new breaking bad season is offset by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

Whiteycar posted:

Any lovely marketing for the new breaking bad season is offset by this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE
This would be more dramatic if it wasn't the most cliche poem ever. Like, whoa, it's about empires collapsing and Walt has a meth empire... Really deep.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tliil posted:

This would be more dramatic if it wasn't the most cliche poem ever. Like, whoa, it's about empires collapsing and Walt has a meth empire... Really deep.

On a super literal level sure. It's actually about hubris, though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I loved his reading. Hated the generic time lapsing clips.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I loved his reading. Hated the generic time lapsing clips.

The time lapse stuff has been a staple since the first episode of the show, though. And the shot of the hat makes up for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Terminal Entropy posted:

It would be racist if the title of Iron Man 3 was "Rhodey's Adventure." But it's called Iron Man 3, so it makes sense that the actor playing Iron Man is front and center. So yeah, a movie called "The Sapphires" should probably have the girls in the group Sapphires front and center.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Had this exact discussion re: The Sapphires cover in the Australian politics thread.

Whether or not the intention was "malicious" is irrelevant.

They've gone to the trouble of making the lead women look as white as possible (or as racially ambiguous as possible if you want to be really generous) and literally faded them into the background. They don't even get a credit on the cover!

I find it really hard to believe that the intention wasn't to hide the fact that the film is actually about four Aboriginal women.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
See on one hand while I absolutely do think the US Sapphires cover is absolutely sexist, racist and deplorable it does suggest to me that it would make more people watch the movie than the original cover.

I actually thought The Sapphires was decent and a great example of women minorities in film but at the same time if it only plays to audiences who are interested in a movie about an Aboriginal womens' singing group it's more or less preaching to the choir. However, if a racist doesn't realise the women in the movie aren't white, watches it, and witnesses a positive depiction of a minority they wouldn't have otherwise considered... that's kind of a good thing.

I realise how problematic this argument is and I'm in no way saying that it's a good cover or that it should be the cover but I do think in a sense it could do good... maybe?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

tliil posted:

You do know that Ozymandias was first published in 1818 right?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Peanut President posted:

Look upon his posts, ye goony, and despair.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Peanut President posted:

What's better is that there's a decent chance Shelley wrote it hosed up on opium.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I think that's his point.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yea, poetry was shallow and pedantic back in those days.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't misused so often. Then again if you asked me my favourite use of it, it'd be Leonard Nemoy quoting it in Civilization IV.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's better is that there's a decent chance Shelley wrote it hosed up on opium.

I feel like it's more common for great pieces of art to have been influenced by drug/alcohol abuse than not.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

On a super literal level sure. It's actually about hubris, though.
Wow, there are so many levels to the poem. I know it's about hubris. It's the most obvious poem you could ever use for Breaking Bad.

I actually like the time lapse footage aspect of it, it's a nice callback to all the times they did that in the show as well as suggesting the impermanence of Walt's actions. I just didn't need a poem that's literally about kings and empires to spell it out for me.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

tliil posted:

Wow, there are so many levels to the poem. I know it's about hubris. It's the most obvious poem you could ever use for Breaking Bad.

I actually like the time lapse footage aspect of it, it's a nice callback to all the times they did that in the show as well as suggesting the impermanence of Walt's actions. I just didn't need a poem that's literally about kings and empires to spell it out for me.

It's a television promo, bro.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
On The Sapphires cover: I couldn't even tell that was Chris o'Dowd in the US cover, but I instantly recognized him on the original one, I thought they maybe put a different white guy on the front. As for the official response that started the argument about whether or not he is the main attraction I felt that it was poorly worded and can see how it sounds like he is the the lead, after all.

I mean, they didn't even put any of the actresses names on it, it's pretty gross.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Yea, poetry was shallow and pedantic back in those days.

No, the poem's just been run into the ground for 200 years.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

WickedIcon posted:

Yes. Classic Poetry is just so overdone.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Every time I turn on that drat MTV some young punk in saggy pants is reciting from the canon of English Romanticism.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, "Ode On A Grecian Urn"? More like Toads On Your Melanesian Ferns.

:iceburn:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

penismightier posted:

Every time I turn on that drat MTV some young punk in saggy pants is reciting from the canon of English Romanticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

WickedIcon posted:

It's Breaking Bad, man. If one show this decade has earned the right to quote Ozymandias, it's that one.