Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Hummingbirds posted:

Lovely :) Peppers are so rewarding to grow in my opinion.

Yup, though I have to squash aphids on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Yup, though I have to squash aphids on a regular basis.

That what ladybugs are for. And they're cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/patio-lawn-garden/dp/B000MR6WRG

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm still learning to grow peppers well. I put mine out too early this year and their growth was stunted. I'll get a crop this year but I also planted them too far apart so some of the fruits are getting sunburned.

I didn't plant zucchini this year and what a surprise, people at the community garden planted too many. A lady was there today trying to give away all of her massive white zukes, almost 2 feet long and at least 10 pounds. I took one out of sympathy. I guess I can make zucchini bread with it. Lots of zucchini bread. I saw another plot that looked forgotten with even bigger green zukes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm still learning to grow peppers well. I put mine out too early this year and their growth was stunted.
Yeah, I've found them very sensitive to nighttime temperatures. Below 15°C or something and they just don't grow at all.

Since I'm growing them in pots, I could move them back inside, but the one I left outside the longest during this lovely spring still hasn't caught up with the rest of them and probably never will.

Two years ago I tried a makeshift greenhouse with some scraps of wood and some transparent plastic foil and that definitely made a difference. Maybe something to look into when the weather turns crap after you planted them.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Two years ago I tried a makeshift greenhouse with some scraps of wood and some transparent plastic foil and that definitely made a difference. Maybe something to look into when the weather turns crap after you planted them.

I have a poly tunnel that they were planted in but the ends were left open. I've heard that the tunnels don't do much to keep the temperature up at night though. Next year I'll just wait even longer to set them out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

That what ladybugs are for. And they're cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/patio-lawn-garden/dp/B000MR6WRG
When you put out ladybugs, try to do so in the evening, and then spray them down with a mister. It'll take until morning for them to dry enough to fly away, and by that point they'll have been able to have a nice long drink and not need to go looking for water in other gardens. ;)

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

coyo7e posted:

When you put out ladybugs, try to do so in the evening, and then spray them down with a mister. It'll take until morning for them to dry enough to fly away, and by that point they'll have been able to have a nice long drink and not need to go looking for water in other gardens. ;)

This is a great tip!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Providing a water source in your garden is always a good idea too. I make my cloches out of those 5-gallon water bottles by cutting the bottoms off. The bottoms make great drip trays for potted plants and garden saucers. I put them underneath the soaker hose so that they get refilled whenever I do my watering.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The peppers in my garden are really the only thing doing well this year, pretty much a complete reversal of my fortunes last year. Last year all my super hots didn't even make it into the ground before dying but my tomatoes and everything else were just monster producers. This year my habaneros and especially my trinidad scorpion are just making GBS threads peppers everywhere while my tomatoes struggle to produce little golf ball sized globes of disappointment, my cucumbers are fighting powdery mildew, my pole beans are outgrowing a 10' trellis without a single bean on them, and my zucchini plants are rotting at the base.

All this drat rain and this weak rear end summer are killing me.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

The peppers in my garden are really the only thing doing well this year, pretty much a complete reversal of my fortunes last year. Last year all my super hots didn't even make it into the ground before dying but my tomatoes and everything else were just monster producers. This year my habaneros and especially my trinidad scorpion are just making GBS threads peppers everywhere while my tomatoes struggle to produce little golf ball sized globes of disappointment, my cucumbers are fighting powdery mildew, my pole beans are outgrowing a 10' trellis without a single bean on them, and my zucchini plants are rotting at the base.

All this drat rain and this weak rear end summer are killing me.

We are getting tons of rain here as well, and yeah, the peppers are really the only thing doing well. The tomatoes are slowly developing, so that's okay, and well, we didn't put anything else in. Oh well.

Looks like we are going to get at least 5 days of sun though, so that'll be good, temps in the 21-25 °C range. The peppers are sitting on a deck against a white wall, so they get the light and heat from 360°. I think that helps quite a bit.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Has anyone had any luck planting fall onions in Wisconsin? I've had some adult onions overwinter and produce seeds the following year, but Googling fall onions says it's not viable to grow from seed up here in the fall.

I have a lot of onion seeds left over, and I've read that they don't keep well from one season to the next, so I'd like to try it out, but if it's just a complete waste of time, I wont' bother.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it safe to trim back some of the thousands of zucchini leaves that each plant produced? I'm finding that I can't even find the zucchini fruit under some of this cover. I found another giant sized zucchini which had to go straight to the compost on account of I missed it under dense cover.

How much is safe to trim back?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
So, my tomatoes are getting pretty funky. I have them strung up, probably about 7 feet high. Because of all the rain/fungus/bugs/whatever, the bottom half is almost completely devoid of leaves. My plants are literally a vine winding up about three feet of string before a single leaf is found.

The tops are still growing, but have unfortunately hit the end of my string setup. My original plan was to prune the tops once they reached the top and just let the rest of the plant enjoy extra nutrients. But since the plants are so drat sickly, I don't really want to prune away the only healthy part.

What do I do? Let them keep growing and just flop around at the top? Try to circle the vines back down the same string?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whoohoo! I just noticed one of my new things that I tried this year is working:

Those are Cascade hops. I also have some Nuggets, but they aren't nearly as developed yet. I had to rip one off crush it up in my hands and smell it.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Martytoof posted:

Is it safe to trim back some of the thousands of zucchini leaves that each plant produced? I'm finding that I can't even find the zucchini fruit under some of this cover. I found another giant sized zucchini which had to go straight to the compost on account of I missed it under dense cover.

How much is safe to trim back?

When my zucchini/melons/cucumbers/anything on a vine get out of control, I just mow off the places where I don't want them. It doesn't really seem to hurt them. They just stop growing there.

With that being said, the cover is there for a reason. I wouldn't go crazy trimming parts of the plant that are actively fruiting that I wanted to keep.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
A modest harvest

Clockwise from top: a 22lb golden watermelon, yellow corn, chanterais cantaloupe, peaches, lemon and market more cucumbers, bullnose bell peppers, Roma tomato, riesentraube cherry tomato, brandywine tomato, contender beans.

The watermelon got a little overripe but is nice, not sickeningly sweet. The cantaloupes are loving incredible and I'm eating a whole melon in one serving. Peaches are fantastic but the tree snapped in half earlier this year and I lost 300+ fruits, the tree isn't gonna make it. Everything else is great too but those fruits are the stars this year.

Powdery mildew is destroying my pumpkin and zucchini, and I didn't notice it until it was too late. Spraying anything would be an afterthought at this point. Next year I'll do 100% drip irrigation and ditch the sprayers I have going on right now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Well the heat finally did it. My tomatoes are pretty much done. No amount of watering is keeping them alive anymore. I have one more harvest this weekend and they are coming out.

Same thing with my yard beans. I have about 15 pods on the vines drying up for seed next year and I will pull these as well.

The eggplants we planted didnt make it, they started producing little fruit then just gave up and burned.

My pepper plants are growing like crazy, lots of jalepenos and red peppers. My corn rows are growing at what seems like 2 inches a day. My melon vines are throwing out melons left and right. We have counted 20 Malali Melons thus far and picked 4 of them. Sweet, crispy and juicy as all get out. My okra is going absolutely crazy. I have about 20 plants 6 feet high throwing out 15 pods a day. Plenty to eat with.

Next up I will till everything that comes out and plant New Zealand spinach, broccoli, kale and rapini.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
Just had powdery mildew attack my zucchini plants, seemed to spring up overnight. I treated them with a milk spray per some googling. Anybody have any experience with this? Anybody have any recommendations about something stronger if the milk doesn't work?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I struggle with it every year and have had pretty good results from a sulfur based treatment and a sprayer. I'm using the Safer brand concentrate this year and it has helped. Just don't combine it within a few weeks of using neem oil or you'll torch your plants.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dangittj posted:

Just had powdery mildew attack my zucchini plants, seemed to spring up overnight. I treated them with a milk spray per some googling. Anybody have any experience with this? Anybody have any recommendations about something stronger if the milk doesn't work?
My cucurbits all seem to have all broken out in powdery mildew in the past couple days after producing like crazy for a couple weeks.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true approach to pickling Armenian cucumbers? I tried making some bread and butter pickles per my usual approach (which involves briefly simmering the chips in brine) and they seem to get soft really loving fast (compared to, say, my Bostons).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

SubG posted:

Does anyone have a tried-and-true approach to pickling Armenian cucumbers? I tried making some bread and butter pickles per my usual approach (which involves briefly simmering the chips in brine) and they seem to get soft really loving fast (compared to, say, my Bostons).

I've always pickled by pouring hot brine over the packed veggies, seems like actually cooking the cukes in the brine over heat would be a good way to make them soft, idk. In addition I know picklers sometimes use alum to keep the veg crisp.

dangittj
Jan 25, 2006

The Force is strong with this one
HELP!! Something is killing my zucchini and I'm not sure what kind of bug it is

I went out to spray my zucchini for powdery mildew today, and these guys are all over. I went out on Wednesday to spray and they weren't there, went out today and they are all over and eating everything. What are they and how do I kill them?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Kill them with fire.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

This may have been asked, but anyone know about how long it would take for a bottle gourd to grow from just starting the fruit? I directly planted some in a pot and it produced a gourd I just saw (after about 50 billion flowers). But I'm in Indiana and I don't know if it would have enough time to grow to maturity before chilly weather stops it, since I think gourds like the heat. And the gourd started in a spot that's just hanging in mid-air right now, should I give the growing gourd some support?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Trimmed my bushy 1 year old pino gris vine yesterday and stuck the cuttings into some moistened potting soil. Hoping for a vineyard in a couple years. :)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 10, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SpannerX posted:

My peppers seem to be doing pretty well.

Hell yeah peppers rule! Are those jalapenos?

Motronic posted:

Well, two things. The holes/spots are pest damage. They are not getting better and the entire plant is stressed because you are watering it every day. Just back off. If it's still moist an inch below the soil line don't water it. Roots need to dry out and "harden up" between waterings to prevent rot and fungus. If it's in potting soil (has little white styrofoam looking balls in it) this will probably takes 3 or more days. Yes, you can love your plants to death!

Also, back off the fertilizer. I don't know what or how much you used, but it's probably excessive unless you've very slightly dosed it each time.

Also, thanks Motronic! I cut down on watering and fertilizer which seemed to help, as after picking the existing peppers, I got lots of flowers and tiny new peppers popping up everywhere. Next I'll try sticking some habaneros into this plant's original pot and see how that goes.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Eeyo posted:

This may have been asked, but anyone know about how long it would take for a bottle gourd to grow from just starting the fruit? I directly planted some in a pot and it produced a gourd I just saw (after about 50 billion flowers). But I'm in Indiana and I don't know if it would have enough time to grow to maturity before chilly weather stops it, since I think gourds like the heat. And the gourd started in a spot that's just hanging in mid-air right now, should I give the growing gourd some support?

I'm no gourd master, but I would let it grow until the plant dies. The longer you leave them on the more robust the actual gourd will be, so if you want to make a bottle it should be as old as possible.

When you're talking about supporting the gourd, are you talking about the vine or the actual fruit? If you want it to grow straight and bottle like, you should have it suspended in the air, if you let it hit the ground it'll be more bendy. If it touches dirt it can rot. You should make sure the vine has enough support though, you don't want it to get too heavy and rip.

Once you harvest the gourd you can cure it by leaving it somewhere cool and dry with as much airflow as possible. A lot of people cure them by putting them in like one of those netted potato or orange sacks, and letting them hang. You'll know it's cured and ready to be made into a bottle because it will sound like a rattle -- everything inside will be dried out.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Hell yeah peppers rule! Are those jalapenos?

Some of them are, the others are poblano(so?), I think.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Our chili peppers are bigger than our yellow peppers, but are still quite green. When do these buggers decide to turn red?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

Our chili peppers are bigger than our yellow peppers, but are still quite green. When do these buggers decide to turn red?
It can take several weeks depending on how big they get. They're ripe when they flesh is firm all over, and if you split one open the seeds will be white or black instead of green.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

dangittj posted:

HELP!! Something is killing my zucchini and I'm not sure what kind of bug it is

I went out to spray my zucchini for powdery mildew today, and these guys are all over. I went out on Wednesday to spray and they weren't there, went out today and they are all over and eating everything. What are they and how do I kill them?

Those are squash bug nymphs. Kill them with fire. They are immune to all forms of pesticides, seriously they are loving indestructable.

An easy way to try to control them is get a bowl full of soapy water, hiold it under the leaves they are on and whack the leaves with a stick and they will fallin and sink. Keep doing this forever.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
I've got some spaghetti squash growing in my garden that are reaching 1ft+ length but still green. I don't want them that big, can I pick them and will they ripen if I put them on a shelf, or do I pretty much have to wait until they turn yellow?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moechae posted:

I've got some spaghetti squash growing in my garden that are reaching 1ft+ length but still green. I don't want them that big, can I pick them and will they ripen if I put them on a shelf, or do I pretty much have to wait until they turn yellow?

That doesn't really work out well, at least in my experience.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Okay, I guess I'll just quarter instead of halving them like usual. Will that big of a size affect the taste like it does with zucchini?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

moechae posted:

Okay, I guess I'll just quarter instead of halving them like usual. Will that big of a size affect the taste like it does with zucchini?

I don't think winter squash is harmed by getting large/fully ripe, like summer squash is. I think I've seen small, almost individual-sized spaghetti squash available - you might look into that for next year.

My spaghetti squash is doing really well, too. They're not huge mutants or anything, but several are pretty good size and healthy looking, which I think is awesome for some seeds I pulled out of a squash from the grocery store.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The wife and I planted some beans, peas, carrots, and 5 more roma tomatoes this weekend. We are going to be cutting it close with some of them, but what the heck, we had the room. I'm hoping the carrots do well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SpannerX posted:

The wife and I planted some beans, peas, carrots, and 5 more roma tomatoes this weekend. We are going to be cutting it close with some of them, but what the heck, we had the room. I'm hoping the carrots do well.
Carrots are kind of all-season, as long as they get enough warmth to sprout, the weather (excluding extremes, of course) won't hurt them a great deal as long as they're not constantly swamped or something.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Carrots are kind of all-season, as long as they get enough warmth to sprout, the weather (excluding extremes, of course) won't hurt them a great deal as long as they're not constantly swamped or something.

The plan is to leave them in there till frost, so it should be good. I'm hoping I can get the tomatoes out of the other bed and put in garlic for over wintering. I'm planing on building at least 2 more for next year. I've found my large use of peat in the mix makes for an interesting soil. It's like a sponge.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I just sowed winter carrots two or three weeks ago. They have sprouted nicely and are about 3-4in tall now. This is my third sowing of carrots for the year and I plan on leaving them in until frost. (Zone 5b or 6). I plant my garlic around Halloween.

All your peat should make your soil a fluffy, acidic potato heaven. Grow potatoes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Ripped out the last of my tomatoes. Had a huge infestation of leaf legged stink bugs that killed my last crop. Stupid bugs.

I also thinned out my Swiss chard and ripped out the dying eggplants.

Peppers, okra and parsley are doing just fine. My malali melons are finished.mi got 4 more today but the vines are starting to die. My black beauty melons are growing bigger, I only see 2 though.

Time to till the bed, weed it good and plant for fall. Corn is doing great!