Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Also PBF comics are self contained and funny, and don't try to draw out a plot line with 14 months between strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Phy posted:

E: Nobody bitches when PBF updates, I think because Gurewitch put it on indefinite hiatus and makes no promises about if/when there will be new comix.

PBF doesn't have long established recurring characters with fairly well developed personalities, either.

I thought Roast Beef and Lyle both felt a bit off but nowhere nearly as bad as "Tally-ho unto muddleshanks thy hath wrought!" Cornelius.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

New Achewood reads like it's being ghostwritten by Brooke McEldowney and it hurts me to say something so mean about a comic I used to really enjoy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Rules of the vehicle" seems much more like a thing Pat would do.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I'm sorry. Badass Games Cornelius was magical. "Cease the rannygazoo" was acceptable. This just reads like someone paid Little Nephew to write Cornelius.

e: ^^^ compliments on your impressively horrifying avatar

Bro Enlai fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 9, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mr. Flunchy posted:

While it's always nice to see new Achewood, and I hope there's more to come, this is a bit disappointing. What on earth has happened to Cornelius' dialogue?

Or Roast Beef's, neither of them really sound like they used to. But that's understandable, it takes time to get back in the right frame of mind.

And man... new Achewood. Aww yeah, man, hooray. Hooray for some guys.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I couldn't even bring myself to get excited when I saw there was a new comic, and after reading it I'm really glad i didn't get my hopes up.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
He's just rusty. He'll get back in the hang of it. And the alt text gives me hope for more updates in the future.

At the worst, if I can enjoy the corpse of the Simpsons all these years, I can enjoy new Achewood.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is everybody forgetting that Cornelius has been drinking? That's why Beef is driving.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Very torn here. I was so excited to hear there was an update, then I saw he was just sticking with the old, unfunny, going-nowhere arc. He should have just done what he did with the Possessed Banjo Arc (which was way funnier and more interesting but that goes without saying.) Cornelius still reads like Onstad types his dialogue through some bad satirical American-British translator or something.

I think the Modern Simpsons comparison still is valid and it depresses me. Then again I'd like nothing more than for him to move past this arc and get back into a rhythm. I'm not giving up yet. The preview panels on Twitter still looked promising and much more like classic Achewood.

That being said the bit with Lyle's "long view" to get 10 bucks was pretty good I thought.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 9, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Revol posted:

Is everybody forgetting that Cornelius has been drinking? That's why Beef is driving.

Yes because this arc has been "going" since 2011.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I swear to god, Achewood needs to go all Flashpoint and reboot its universe back to May 9, 2010. Only due to time travel reasons, Ray has removed the padlock from the back of Nice Pete's van. Teodor escapes and runs, naked and screaming, back to his house. Pete does not follow him. The comic updates 2-3 times a week and is still funny. Seriously, Chris. Nobody would be upset if you admitted the last three and a half years have been somewhere between "bad" and "nothing" as far as Achewood output is concerned.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I'm picturing a cutting, brutal, more "real" Achewood re-imagining where thousands are murdered and minority issues are seriously tackled with hard sci-fi concepts and grueling post-modern writing, or instead a twitter post written on a bar napkin on how Onstad wants to do anything but what he has done, spread out over twenty months

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Speaking of Nice Pete, it has always bothered me that Roast Beef stopped Ray from killing him(back in the "hella stabbed in his butt and brain" arc).
Sure, as a story(comic), I can see why not, but Roast Beef convinced Ray to let a multiple murderer Serial Killer pyschopath live, so that Ray's life would be protected.

I mean, the dude drove his van into a dentist's office, horribly mangling several people, and brought home a bag of hands to show off.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Well what was he going to do with the body? It ain't like he could turn it into a hat. Look at Johnny Aztec, going all pro ice just because he's in a raw situation. Jesus, we got the chessboard out but you playin' whack-a-mole.

(The term "pro ice" in this quote always has baffled me but I love it anyway.)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Johnny Aztec posted:

Speaking of Nice Pete, it has always bothered me that Roast Beef stopped Ray from killing him(back in the "hella stabbed in his butt and brain" arc).
Sure, as a story(comic), I can see why not, but Roast Beef convinced Ray to let a multiple murderer Serial Killer pyschopath live, so that Ray's life would be protected.

I mean, the dude drove his van into a dentist's office, horribly mangling several people, and brought home a bag of hands to show off.

If he had killed him, Pete would have just stopped by the Denny's and come back.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Revol posted:

Yes. Everyone has forgotten everything.

How do you still remember anything that's happened in the last 3 years (or 6 strips) of the thing?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Telex posted:

How do you still remember anything that's happened in the last 3 years (or 6 strips) of the thing?

I can remember lots of details from strips years past, but the past 2(3?) arcs have just been completely forgettable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God a new Achewood :allears:

It's hard to just jump back in to the middle of a storyline that was in progress, but I'm hoping we won't have to wait over a year for the next strip again. I still enjoyed it, especially the,"There's no way you could have heard that!" line.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I find the dense Cornelius-speak off-putting as well. I enjoyed pre-Polly Cornelius best.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I liked the Cornelius that was excited about Flava Flav's blinking tooth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Loving Life Partner posted:

I liked the Cornelius that was excited about Flava Flav's blinking tooth.

The same one that was definitely not afraid of the police?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I think Cornelius's density comes from the fact that Onstad hasn't written him in over a year. I figure it's like pressure when mining natural gas. You've got to let off what's produced in excess of what you can handle processing or the pressure will blow everything the Hell up. Onstad done got a flare-up here that burned off his eyebrows, but he'll get by.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah I really hate how he writes Corneilius now, its like a separate character completely. It's like he just sits there with a thesaurus and converts every word into an archaic form.

Hey, Connie used to sound like this:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001

So... Shut up?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MondayHotDog posted:

He's just rusty. He'll get back in the hang of it.

You're right, maybe the next strip in 2016 will be better.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dodgeball posted:

Hey, Connie used to sound like this:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001

So... Shut up?

And again, he's drinking, so my point stands.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

That was pretty disappointing and I really miss the one-off strips. "Well I mean with Todd it could be like near a thing or away from another thing or not even a place at all. He ain't a particular guy" was great though.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I like how Beef stays hunched behind the tiny windshield, presumably to keep things from flying into his eyes/mouth.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
In the next strip, Cornelius will bump his head on the dashboard and wake up sounding like Todd.

This will not be noticed by any other character.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wasn't a big fan of Cornelius' dialogue either, but on the whole I liked the strip. Beef's description of Todd sounded like classic Achewood to me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not for nothing, but Cornelius seems like a difficult character to write properly. Depression-induced downtime of a literal year or two will make you lose someone's voice.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Regardless of all the whinging in this thread, new achewood! Wooo!

Gift horse, mouth, etc.

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005

Telex posted:

He should just forget this arc and do some one off jokes with no explanation. Then maybe an arc later.

I think he's done it before too. I can't remember which one, but I remember there was one or maybe two arc(s) that he started and then quietly abandoned because they weren't interesting.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dedhed posted:

He should just forget this arc and do some one off jokes with no explanation. Then maybe an arc later.

I think he's done it before too. I can't remember which one, but I remember there was one or maybe two arc(s) that he started and then quietly abandoned because they weren't interesting.

The possessed banjo arc ended abruptly with Onstad's kid being born, and Ray asking Pat to say good stuff about his dick.

Really, the most graceful way for Onstad to dig himself out of the "Ray in Rehab" hole is to abruptly switch back to one-off strips of the dudes gettin' all spry on Grolsch, with one strip having an alt-text of "Altimeter Tim died on the way back to his home planet. Todd merely got peeled out on by some teenagers again."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Also, I don't see Connie using contractions. So, the "There's no way you could have heard that." sounds wrong to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lyle seemed perfectly on-note to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah I really hate how he writes Corneilius now, its like a separate character completely. It's like he just sits there with a thesaurus and converts every word into an archaic form.

Plus the fact that he is still writing some long plot arc while updating once every 4-6 months is just dumb. Ray and Beef have not hung out with crispy stellas in about 4 years now I think.

I miss the good ol days when Cornelius was excited to see Flava Flav's glowing tooth.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
and just as quickly as they had come, the updates were gone...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Updates are approximately annual now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

boo_radley posted:

and just as quickly as they had come, the updates were gone...

Did anyone really think he was going to just instantly go from nothing to daily updates?