Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I have 100% confidence that 4.0 will leave a billion questions unanswered and impossible to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Phobophilia posted:

I have 100% confidence that 4.0 will leave a billion questions unanswered and impossible to answer.

And we wouldn't want it any other way.

The English alternate universe section is the single greatest achievement of the dub.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MadRhetoric posted:

The English alternate universe section is the single greatest achievement of the dub.

I remember thinking at the time that they actually got a different actress for Rei in that sequence because AWL was speaking normally, which sounds nothing like her Rei voice.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Phobophilia posted:

Typical Evangelion if you ask me, though I am sure for many years afterwards we will be filled with interpretations of what everything is supposed to mean.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OK, finally saw 3.0 at Otakon.

Reserving judgement till we get 4.0.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Just saw You Are (Not) Alone. And I have a few questions.

At the end of the movie Kaworu says something about "the third". Is he referring to Shinji as the Third Child?

Also I'm super late to the series and the movies, and I was wondering about the interpretations of the titles of the rebuild films. You are (not) alone could easily become You are alone by removing the word in parenthesis. Does anyone have any interpretations of the titles they could share? (regarding the removal of the operative parenthesis words?)

And my last question is regarding the whole fate business that the series presents.
It finally hit me that characters like Misato and the pilots are kept out of the loop regarding the "Scenario" so they get upset when operations go south, while Gendo is always stoic. He knows that a lot of the events are foretold in a general sense so that there are many solutions to fulfill the prophecy.
Was the whole abandoning Shinji thing apart of the prophecy he was following so that he would create a mentally unstable child? Is Shinji's instability manufactured to fulfill the needs of Seele?
It makes me sad to think that no matter what choices the characters who were not aware of Seele's plans were helpless to change anything.
Is there anything the characters could have done to disrupt the scenario/fate? It seems many are at the mercy of Seele/Gendo but then stuff happens (like Gendo's head getting bitten off, and Seele losing out to Gendo) that makes me think that they weren't even in control of what was going to happen.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

TV series-wise, it seemed like Gendo only ever loved Yui and had Fuyutsuki as his only friend and didn't care about anyone else, if not just being a full on Sperglord, which seems to run in the family. Hard to say anything about him Rebuild wise until the last one is released.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

RebBrownies posted:

Just saw You Are (Not) Alone. And I have a few questions.

At the end of the movie Kaworu says something about "the third". Is he referring to Shinji as the Third Child?

Also I'm super late to the series and the movies, and I was wondering about the interpretations of the titles of the rebuild films. You are (not) alone could easily become You are alone by removing the word in parenthesis. Does anyone have any interpretations of the titles they could share? (regarding the removal of the operative parenthesis words?)

And my last question is regarding the whole fate business that the series presents.
It finally hit me that characters like Misato and the pilots are kept out of the loop regarding the "Scenario" so they get upset when operations go south, while Gendo is always stoic. He knows that a lot of the events are foretold in a general sense so that there are many solutions to fulfill the prophecy.
Was the whole abandoning Shinji thing apart of the prophecy he was following so that he would create a mentally unstable child? Is Shinji's instability manufactured to fulfill the needs of Seele?
It makes me sad to think that no matter what choices the characters who were not aware of Seele's plans were helpless to change anything.
Is there anything the characters could have done to disrupt the scenario/fate? It seems many are at the mercy of Seele/Gendo but then stuff happens (like Gendo's head getting bitten off, and Seele losing out to Gendo) that makes me think that they weren't even in control of what was going to happen.

Here's my takes, with some spoilers for future movies just in case.

The words in parentheses and the titles are probably too deep to find an actual answer but "you can (not) re-do" ties into that movie pretty directly. You are (not) alone, the intro to that movie, and the EOE movie makes me think it's a reference to the end of EOE. The way they're written as being almost optional might be referencing one way or another that the end-game here plays out. The versions of Instrumentality include one where all of humanity is one being (you ARE alone!) or one where we all still get to keep being separate and Gendo sees Yui again (You are NOT alone!).

quote:

Was the whole abandoning Shinji thing apart of the prophecy he was following so that he would create a mentally unstable child?

I don't think so, but it's hard to parse out his reasons for being such a dick to Shinji. He might have his own issues that just plain stop him from even trying even though he needs Shinji to pilot. It could be that he has so much faith in the way things will play out that he just plain doesn't need to care, he knows Shinji will get to where he has to be because that's what the scrolls say (or that's what happened before in another "loop"). He may just not care because he believes he can "fix" things and get his life with Yui back, wherein he'll be a better father to Shinji. Or maybe he loves his wife so drat much he doesn't give a poo poo about his kid at all (these last two seem more likely to me, especially with how explicit the remakes start to be about Ayanami being a Yui clone and stand-in).

My question is: Is there any good speculation or info on what this universes' "Dead Sea Scrolls" actually are? As the whole "loop" theory looks more and more likely I'm wondering if they aren't some kind of document that stays constant through their loops with info added by SEELE/Gendo/Whoever each time they go through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Shinji doesn't have Asperger's. To say he does shows you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

Shinji has crippling depression and trauma issues as well as one of the worst fathers ever in a world that seems to have lost all of its psychotherapists in Second Impact.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

RebBrownies posted:

Is there anything the characters could have done to disrupt the scenario/fate?
Kaji probably had some leverage (e.g. rat out Gendo to SEELE, Wikileak the whole story and watch the riots) but he abdicated any world-changing role for himself and sought to reconnect to human beings instead. Perhaps he simply recognized his own inadequacy (e.g. one dude, however handsome and badass, cannot stop a global illuminati conspiracy backed up by giant robots). Perhaps he believed that he could stop them but that doing so would force him to assume a Gendo-type role of manipulation and betrayal ("battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster"). Since Misato was close to Gendo, Kaji would not be able to dethrone Gendo without hurting her. So he just gave up and planted watermelons instead.

Ritsuko might have been able to reshape events, but I get the sense that she didn't really want to distrust/betray/hurt Gendo (because admitting his flaws would force her to confront her own). By implementing his (crazy) plan, she at least had a chance to be involved in his life. Also: if she actually tried anything sneaky then Caspar would have snitched on her.

Either Kaji or Ritsuko them could have sabotaged the NERV HQ defence and self-destruct system during an Angel attack in order to bring about Third Impact. Think of the Matarael attack, except with an actually threatening Angel instead of a big dumb spider.

Misato could have shot Gendo in the face whenever she became sufficiently sick of his smug bullshit (or his reckless disregard for the well-being of his subordinates, or his cruel mistreatment of his son, or his spending of the entire NERV pension fund on a sightseeing trip to the Moon). Of course, he could always asspull an AT Field and stop the bullet, but that's a risk worth taking.

The children could have changed things on many occasions (e.g. by losing fights, or by killing people). But they generally didn't have enough information to make important decision; they were thoroughly deceived and manipulated by people around them; they didn't really understand the probable outcomes (or alternatives). Also they're children - we don't expect them to accept agency for fate-of-the-world stuff.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, as there's been more awareness of Asperger's and its' seemingly broad symptoms, there's been a lot of misapplied labeling of famous yet "odd" individuals and fictional characters as having the syndrome.

To get away from that potential derail, though, I honestly like to think of Gendo as a "do anything for the person you love" type of character taken to the extreme, since he actually plays an active role in killing off humanity in the original series just so he can bring his lover back. He sees everyone else in his life as some sort of tool towards that goal, even when they (I.E. Rei at the start of the series, Ritsuko) try to project elements of him as sincerely caring about them. And he seems to sincerely believe that Yui wouldn't be horrified/disgusted by everything he'd done in her name.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Shinji has crippling depression and trauma issues as well as one of the worst fathers ever in a world that seems to have lost all of its psychotherapists in Second Impact.

Episode 4's probably the best example of this in the series. Anyone who's suffered from depression (myself included) can relate to everything that happens to Shinji in that episode (especially the sequence on the train and the movie theater).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, as there's been more awareness of Asperger's and its' seemingly broad symptoms, there's been a lot of misapplied labeling of famous yet "odd" individuals and fictional characters as having the syndrome.

To get away from that potential derail, though, I honestly like to think of Gendo as a "do anything for the person you love" type of character taken to the extreme, since he actually plays an active role in killing off humanity in the original series just so he can bring his lover back. He sees everyone else in his life as some sort of tool towards that goal, even when they (I.E. Rei at the start of the series, Ritsuko) try to project elements of him as sincerely caring about them. And he seems to sincerely believe that Yui wouldn't be horrified/disgusted by everything he'd done in her name.

Gendo is so romantic :allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just noticed something: Shinji pretty much imitates his dad in the department of "obsessive love being destructive" in the Rebuild films.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Vermain posted:

I just noticed something: Shinji pretty much imitates his dad in the department of "obsessive love being destructive" in the Rebuild films.
I don't feel like it's the same thing for Shinji, as he isn't really obsessive and it seems more of an irony than a lesson. Like in 2.0 Shinji saves Rei, who is someone that he cares about. That's a good thing to do, saving a friend, but it just so happens that doing this causes Third Impact. Same thing in 3.0, Kaworu tells Shinji that he can redo this mistake and Shinji genuinely believes this. But yet again it just so happens that it starts another Impact.
Basically Shinji is trying to do the right thing, but since he's being secretly manipulated it ironically causes worse things to happen because it's all Just As Planned.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

jvempire posted:

I don't feel like it's the same thing for Shinji, as he isn't really obsessive and it seems more of an irony than a lesson. Like in 2.0 Shinji saves Rei, who is someone that he cares about. That's a good thing to do, saving a friend, but it just so happens that doing this causes Third Impact. Same thing in 3.0, Kaworu tells Shinji that he can redo this mistake and Shinji genuinely believes this. But yet again it just so happens that it starts another Impact.
Basically Shinji is trying to do the right thing, but since he's being secretly manipulated it ironically causes worse things to happen because it's all Just As Planned.

Note that Shinji does this when the people he wants to save specifically tell him not to multiple times.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

MadRhetoric posted:

Note that Shinji does this when the people he wants to save specifically tell him not to multiple times.
In 2.0 Rei just says she can be replaced, Ritsuko tries stopping Shinji but Misato tells him to go for it. (Really you could blame Misato here, and it explains why she is all Gendo-like in 3.0) In 3.0 Wille are warning him, but Kaworu says otherwise. Basically Shinji is getting hit with contradictory commands at all once, and he tries making a good decision with the extremely limited info he has. But he's just a pawn, and it's questionable if he has freewill with how much he gets manipulated.

Of course it's still ambiguous if Shinji even caused Third Impact. Kaworu stopped it at the end of 2.22, and we have a massive timeskip. Did Shinji even cause that much damage since it was just starting up? Or was it Kaworu and the mark. 6 trying to fuse with Lilith in Central Dogma that caused it? Did Kaworu lie to Shinji when he said he caused the damage? Who knows...

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Have to wonder if Unit01 was still stabbed with the spear during the entire 14 year gap, and if not, then a possible reason why Third Impact started again.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 13, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Interesting thing noted after watching 3.0 at otakon: in the stargazing scene, Shinji explicitly takes comfort in the ideas and concepts of insignificance and nihilism that HP Lovecraft found horrifying and communicated in his works.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

jvempire posted:

In 2.0 Rei just says she can be replaced, Ritsuko tries stopping Shinji but Misato tells him to go for it. (Really you could blame Misato here, and it explains why she is all Gendo-like in 3.0) In 3.0 Wille are warning him, but Kaworu says otherwise. Basically Shinji is getting hit with contradictory commands at all once, and he tries making a good decision with the extremely limited info he has. But he's just a pawn, and it's questionable if he has freewill with how much he gets manipulated.

Of course it's still ambiguous if Shinji even caused Third Impact. Kaworu stopped it at the end of 2.22, and we have a massive timeskip. Did Shinji even cause that much damage since it was just starting up? Or was it Kaworu and the mark. 6 trying to fuse with Lilith in Central Dogma that caused it? Did Kaworu lie to Shinji when he said he caused the damage? Who knows...

Someone tried to fuse with somethinganyway that is for sure though the devastation caused by the 3rd near impact is similar to 2.0 so I doubt it was another one after the Shinji/Rei fusion dance.

Any one else notice the massive/odd/freaky construction that was in the chamber of gulf, descending on the 4th impacting Eva?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rei telling Shinji not to save her is tantamount to a suicide attempt. In fact, it's literally a suicide attempt from the moment Rei tries to physically deliver an N2 mine to Zeruel.

Rei's sense of worthlessness and disposability is a symptom of depression that Evangelion reifies (heh) by making her a clone. It's the exact same narrative device that transforms Shinji's inadequacy at and terror towards the adult world into ravaging alien monsters.

There's an important parallel between the Bardiel and Zeruel fights in Rebuild; they're both manifestations of Shinji's fear of losing his friends.

Shinji is intimidated by Asuka, so Bardiel transform her (evangelion) into a monster. This fight, more than anything that happens with Zeruel, is where Shinji goes wrong. His refusal to fight Asuka looks noble and concerned on the surface, but it actually makes no sense: Asuka is being held hostage, but because Asuka scares him Shinji equates her with the Angel and shuts down rather than deal with the situation -- which as it turns out, means abandoning her to Gendo. This is why Asuka is so pissed at him in Rebuild 3.33, too.

Now the thing is, despite the fact that he's being played, for a second there Shinji had agency. He was piloting Unit-01 and he could have handled the Bardiel fight any way he wanted. Kaji reminds Shinji that he has more power than the people around him in the watermelon scene, and Misato reveals that Rei was trying to bridge the gap between him and Gendo. So he goes into the Zeruel fight with that on his conscience.

Anyways, getting back to Rei: her attack on Zeruel is evocative of WWII kamikaze attacks. Except, of course, this is Evangelion: one of its minor themes is that military action is wasteful, impotent, and self-destructive.

Tsuneo Watanabe posted:

It's all a lie that they left filled with braveness and joy, crying, 'Long live the emperor!' They were sheep at a slaughterhouse. Everybody was looking down and tottering. Some were unable to stand up and were carried and pushed into the plane by maintenance soldiers.

The quote is from 2006, but still relevant. Does that last bit sound familiar?

Anyways, Rei's attack fails. There is no glory, there isn't even a practical trade of one person's life for the world. It's just her suicidal ideation, her death-impulse getting the better of her. Rei suffers from depression just as much as Shinji does and he knows it, probably better than anyone except Gendo. He's morally obligated to save her. He's psychologically obligated to because deep down he knows he's seen this all happen before with his mother. He's practically obligated to because, apart from maybe Asuka, Rei is more willing and equipped than anyone else to save him.

So it doesn't just "seem" like the right thing to do. It is the right thing to do, because any alternative would be morally inhuman and we've already seen what happens when Shinji kills every Angel and gives up on his friends.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Thanks for this point. Outside of EoE, Shinji is genuinely heroic at times, the only difference in his hero's journey and that of others is that his universe refuses to co-operate and instead revels in his humiliation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Thanks for this point. Outside of EoE, Shinji is genuinely heroic at times, the only difference in his hero's journey and that of others is that his universe refuses to co-operate and instead revels in his humiliation.

There's a great essay by Stanislaw Lem where he talks about how all science fiction (and probably all fantastic fiction in general) can be divided into two categories: fairy tales, and myths. Fairy tales are stories where the world responds to the protagonist's actions in kind, rewarding goodness with triumph and wickedness with ruin.

But myths are stories where the world instead responds negatively; no matter how righteous and just Oedipus is, no matter how good his motivations may be, he's still going to kill his father and marry his mother. In fact the very act of behaving justly (defending himself when a chariot tries to run him over, saving Thebes from the Sphinx, etc.) is what dooms him. He then falls into hubris and finally despair and death.

Earlier I said that Rebuild was more concerned with the concept of sin and guilt than it was with the whole Oedipal/Freudian thing, but now that I've refamiliarized myself with the myth I think I might be full of it. :v:

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a great essay by Stanislaw Lem where he talks about how all science fiction (and probably all fantastic fiction in general) can be divided into two categories: fairy tales, and myths. Fairy tales are stories where the world responds to the protagonist's actions in kind, rewarding goodness with triumph and wickedness with ruin.

But myths are stories where the world instead responds negatively; no matter how righteous and just Oedipus is, no matter how good his motivations may be, he's still going to kill his father and marry his mother. In fact the very act of behaving justly (defending himself when a chariot tries to run him over, saving Thebes from the Sphinx, etc.) is what dooms him. He then falls into hubris and finally despair and death.

Earlier I said that Rebuild was more concerned with the concept of sin and guilt than it was with the whole Oedipal/Freudian thing, but now that I've refamiliarized myself with the myth I think I might be full of it. :v:
I don't think it's concerning itself with either sin and guilt or Oedipal/Freud, I think it's much more simple. Like that essay you mentioned with how myth is negative towards the protagonist without bias, Shinji is trying to be heroic (like you said in your previous post) in an unjust world.

In the series, Shinji hates himself and he blames this on others, on the EVAs, on the unjust world. It takes until the end of the series for him to learn that he can love himself despite all the horrible things that have happened.

But Rebuild Shinji, he is more active in trying to fight back against these horrible things. He is more self fulling, though many misinterpret this as selfish. And that's because his efforts (so far) have been futile. To use a myth as an example, Shinji is pushing the boulder up the mountain, only to see it roll back down again. But that's where 3.0 ends, will Shinji be able to break the cycle in 4.0? Obviously 4.0 will determine the point of the Rebuild series, and maybe Shinji will kill Gendo and have sex with Unit 01(if Yui is still in there... 0 sync rate in 3.0 yeh know) for the full on Oedipal/Freud metaphor. Or he breaks the myth entirely and has the English Dub Alternate Reality and everyone has a happen ending, spitting toast in the face of the unjust world.

jvempire fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 13, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My guess is that the rebuilds "point" is going to be elevating Shinji to the point where he gets to go through another loop (or more than one) while retaining memory of the last one, either showing or implying that he is on his way to Gendo/SEELE-esque manipulation of the end-game. His interactions with Kaworu seemed almost entirely focussed on telling Shinji the way to happiness is practice and repetition.

Mayhaps the "curse of eva" isn't them staying young for years on end, but actually staying young as they continually go through this TV/movie series over and over again. Like their bodies are transferring from the end of one to the next but their minds are getting star wars droid wiped.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My guess is that the rebuilds "point" is going to be elevating Shinji to the point where he gets to go through another loop (or more than one) while retaining memory of the last one, either showing or implying that he is on his way to Gendo/SEELE-esque manipulation of the end-game. His interactions with Kaworu seemed almost entirely focussed on telling Shinji the way to happiness is practice and repetition.

Mayhaps the "curse of eva" isn't them staying young for years on end, but actually staying young as they continually go through this TV/movie series over and over again. Like their bodies are transferring from the end of one to the next but their minds are getting star wars droid wiped.

I think that if they go the route of time loops then the climax will be shinji finally choosing to reject the choice of another cycle, defying the fate foreshadowed by his father (endlessly destroying himself to fight the impossible) and metaphorically achieving enlightenment to rebuild (heh) the earth as it is rather than subject mankind's souls to another tragic cycle.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

God it is so hard to form an opinion on how one should handle the circumstances put forth by Eva :unsmigghh:

Personally I look at the show from Shinji's perspective and I'm like "Yeah! That was the right choice! Good job!" but then I read the posts above and I'm conflicted as to who I feel is right/the right course of action. :psyduck: .

If the loop theory is right that just makes the series all the more tragic. Having to live out all those traumatic things over and over and over again :psyboom:

I actually like Asuka's character a lot more in the rebuilds. I just feel something about the presentation of her character is a little more consistent (Granted I have only seen up to 2, but still.) I guess I couldn't feel sympathy for her in the tv show because I felt that she was two completely different characters rolled into one. Her "tough school girl who masks her vulnerability by being cocky" and severely damaged person just didn't seem to mesh completely. In the rebuilds the moments where she is vulnerable/we get glimpses of why she is so insecure, just feel more cohesive and connected. I just feel that the thread of her character is more believable and human in the light hearted moments of the rebuilds and the more serious moments. I felt that in the light-hearted moments of the tv show show she was very one-dimensional, and then when it came time for her dramatic moments/back story I just felt that the personas didn't connect.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I disagree completely, asuka was much more cohesive in the show. She feels tacked on and rushed in the rebuilds imo (I've also only seen up to two, hurry up Funi)

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Maybe what I was looking to say was "relatable" or "sympathetic". Maybe the reason I couldn't stomach her/grasp her character was because she was more complex :confused: ?
Maybe I find her easier to understand in the rebuilds because they have taken some of the grey areas away?

jvempire
May 10, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

I think that if they go the route of time loops then the climax will be shinji finally choosing to reject the choice of another cycle, defying the fate foreshadowed by his father (endlessly destroying himself to fight the impossible) and metaphorically achieving enlightenment to rebuild (heh) the earth as it is rather than subject mankind's souls to another tragic cycle.
Another thing on if they go this route: remember this is Anno we are talking about, subversion is his game. The only way we know about the possibility of this time loop theory is our prior knowledge of the series/EoE. If you put Rebuild in a vacuum the hints don't hint at a timeloop, but are just another mystery. This is since the movies follow the narrow POV of Shinji. So even if he does go with that type of ending, it will be hinted at not directly confirmed as to what's going on. Like one step forward (something like Gendo say "This will happen again!") and 20 steps backward (bunch of other stuff happens that disproves time loop), thus causing us forum goers to continuously speculate and argue on what's really going on. It's us, we are stuck in the loop :(.

RebBrownies posted:

Maybe what I was looking to say was "relatable" or "sympathetic". Maybe the reason I couldn't stomach her/grasp her character was because she was more complex :confused: ?
Maybe I find her easier to understand in the rebuilds because they have taken some of the grey areas away?
I like Rebuild Asuka more too. Series Asuka is an attention seeking annoying kid who gets no hope of improving once an Angel mind melts her. It's hard to relate to this character, though it's sort of the point as it's another person that conflicts with Shinji. Rebuild Asuka has an ego, but she feels isolated and we have a hope that she can develop to be a better person. The issue is that we barely get enough time with her to get good character development, which is a bit sad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jvempire posted:

I don't think it's concerning itself with either sin and guilt or Oedipal/Freud, I think it's much more simple. Like that essay you mentioned with how myth is negative towards the protagonist without bias, Shinji is trying to be heroic (like you said in your previous post) in an unjust world.

Oh it's definitely concerning itself with sin and guilt; have you not seen 3.33 yet?

Anyways, my point here isn't that Shinji wants to gain exclusive control of Unit-01 / Mom from Gendo; that's the part that's conspicuously absent from Rebuild and the reason why I thought it was gone. It's just that even so there are still some really funny (if likely unintentional) parallels between the two.

Oedipus's father, Laius, receives a prophecy that tells him that any son he bears will one day kill him. Gendo receives a prophecy that tells him what his son will do; we aren't privy to the contents.

Laius cripples his son and instructs a servant to take him to the mountains and leave him to die, but the servant raises and cares for him instead. Gendo emotionally cripples Shinji and leaves him with one of his teachers, and later Misato, who act as his surrogate parents.

Oedipus saves the city of Thebes from an incomprehensible semi-human monster by answering a riddle about the difference between a man and a child, and later curses it with a plague of infertility by committing incest with his mother. Shinji saves Tokyo-3 from a series of incomprehensible semi-human monsters while struggling with the nature of adulthood, and then curses it with a plague of death and decay (symbolized by the corpse of a pregnant woman) through an intimate but transgressive act with a clone of his mother.

Oedipus arrogantly claims that he'll lift the curse, goes to the prophet Tiresias for guidance and ignores his advice to leave the matter alone; he finally provokes Tiresias into telling the truth, is unprepared for it and stabs out his own eyes in horror. Shinji arrogantly assumes he can lift the curse, goes to Kaworu for guidance, ignores his advice at a crucial moment and watches as a device meant for him impales Kaworu, and then he falls into catatonia.

The one major thing that's missing (besides even more overt mommy issues) is the fatal confrontation between Oedipus/Shinji and Laius/Gendo, but 4.44 seems to be heading in that general direction.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 13, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Still can't tell if it's intentional but that's pretty uncanny.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh it's definitely concerning itself with sin and guilt; have you not seen 3.33 yet?
Oh yeh my mistake, I meant more that I don't feel like the central theme of Rebuild is sin and guilt, though it's an important part of 3.33 for sure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jvempire posted:

Oh yeh my mistake, I meant more that I don't feel like the central theme of Rebuild is sin and guilt, though it's an important part of 3.33 for sure.

I guess 3.33 might be fresher in my memory and coloring my view of the whole series. It's hard to tell without 4.44 to complete the pattern; on the one hand I think you could argue that the theme is present in the earlier films (like how much 1.11 emphasizes the stain and damage of Second Impact, even compared to the TV series), but you could also say that each film has its own distinct idea and that 3.33's is "guilt" while 1.11 is "cooperation" or something similar.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Question: How is Shinji saving Rei transgressive? Other than that it awakened unit 1 for Reasons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Question: How is Shinji saving Rei transgressive? Other than that it awakened unit 1 for Reasons.

I was mostly talking about how it ends the world. It's also kind of incestuous if they're in love. Little of column A, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Shinji wants to save Rei at any cost. Quite literally any cost. He literally goes "I don't care about the world, I want to save Rei." It's the kind of thing that gets yelled a lot in anime but then works out but in the end it isn't actually a good position to take even if it is an understandable position to take.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Shinji wants to save Rei at any cost. Quite literally any cost. He literally goes "I don't care about the world, I want to save Rei." It's the kind of thing that gets yelled a lot in anime but then works out but in the end it isn't actually a good position to take even if it is an understandable position to take.

See, I never really took it that way. I took it more as an expression of how all the 'SAVE THE WORLD' and 'PROTECT HUMANITY' and all the other big picture stuff ranged from either impossible to really grok (and therefore meaningless) to Shinji or at best simply too big a burden for him to emotionally handle. Saving Rei, on the other hand, or Asuka, or individual people he knew and cared about, would be a much more meaningful and comprehensible goal for him. I don't really think he was actually thinking "I will destroy the world if it saves Rei" so much as he was thinking "If I succeed at nothing else, I drat well am going to get this right." It's not as though we have much reason to think he had any awareness of what was happening after he...spirit-dove into Zeruel, for lack of a better phrase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

See, I never really took it that way. I took it more as an expression of how all the 'SAVE THE WORLD' and 'PROTECT HUMANITY' and all the other big picture stuff ranged from either impossible to really grok (and therefore meaningless) to Shinji or at best simply too big a burden for him to emotionally handle. Saving Rei, on the other hand, or Asuka, or individual people he knew and cared about, would be a much more meaningful and comprehensible goal for him. I don't really think he was actually thinking "I will destroy the world if it saves Rei" so much as he was thinking "If I succeed at nothing else, I drat well am going to get this right." It's not as though we have much reason to think he had any awareness of what was happening after he...spirit-dove into Zeruel, for lack of a better phrase.

Yeah, but this is a case where Shinji is so determined to get this right, so sure he will get this right, that he does something terrible because he has to do this thing especially because he hosed up with Asuka. It is completely understandable for his character but that doesn't make it a good decision to make. And then he does the exact same thing in 3.0 because he can't deal with the consequences of the last time he made that decision and, unsurprisingly, it goes badly again because Shinji is still focused on "I have to undo my old mistakes." Thus "You can (not) Redo." He is approaching it from the only way he can but the only way he can is still him saying "I don't care about the world, I care about this thing." Which is basically the same mindset as Gendo seems to have, although Gendo's is obviously far more damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but this is a case where Shinji is so determined to get this right, so sure he will get this right, that he does something terrible because he has to do this thing especially because he hosed up with Asuka. It is completely understandable for his character but that doesn't make it a good decision to make. And then he does the exact same thing in 3.0 because he can't deal with the consequences of the last time he made that decision and, unsurprisingly, it goes badly again because Shinji is still focused on "I have to undo my old mistakes." Thus "You can (not) Redo." He is approaching it from the only way he can but the only way he can is still him saying "I don't care about the world, I care about this thing." Which is basically the same mindset as Gendo seems to have, although Gendo's is obviously far more damaged.
It's a bad choice from our perspective of course, but there's no way for Shinji to know what's really going on (like knowing what happens when Unit 01 awakens). The significance of it is that Shinji is finally doing something he wants to do, not something someone else forced him to do. It just ironically happens to cause massive collateral damage because it's all part of a grande plan. Shinji is just another piece to the puzzle, being secretly manipulated by Gendo/Seele. In 3.0 Kaworu is the one that plants into him that idea that he can redo his mistake.