Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sentai PYF:

Dekaranger: The first Sentai I watched, so I look on it fondly. Before Gokaiger, I suggested it to friends as the first show they should watch as well.
Gokaiger: Really enjoyable. A great cast and the suit-changing gimmick worked really well.
Go-Onger: Goofy Sentai shenanigans, I thought the engine souls were going to be really annoying, but they ended up not being that bad.
Jetman: An old show with a lot of charm and a lot of surprising stuff you'd never see in a modern show, like lots of civilian deaths and Black Condor grabbing the combatants' junk.
Go-Busters: Loved the mecha fights, the story had good points (Enter and his antics, most of the rest of the cast) and bad (Go-Busters Weak points, the buddyroids minus J)
Abarenger: I was kind of surprised, even though this is a more recent show than Jetman it seems that the 'oldness' hasn't yet progressed to 'clasic,' but otherwise enjoyable.
Gekiranger: I didn't finish it, which was mostly due to TV-N. Even though, there were some good points. Jan was a annoying, but the rest of the cast were good. The mecha fights were probably the worst out of all the sentai I've seen-- until Kyoryuger.

This list is only barely in any sort of order. Honestly, I don't think I'd recommend anyone NOT watch any of these shows, except for maybe Gekiranger and that's not really any fault of the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I finished Go-Busters a little bit ago and the end was really good! Enter was outstanding the whole series and I wish he got to fight more in his evil red buster suit. I would've liked it if they gave Yoko a rival to fight as well, but I don't think a third one would've been as good as Enter and Escape ended up being. I also watched the Beastial Battery movie and man is that a riot! There should've been more Black Puma fighting because I can imagine him bringing an apple with him to all fights and trying to not let it get destroyed.

Now to finish up Dairanger since I've had that sitting around for a bit.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Holy poo poo, that was awesome

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Haha, this week's viewer-submitted Kyoryuger dancers has a great little Easter Egg at the end.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

Holy poo poo, that was awesome
I really need to watch Kakuranger.

In other awesome Toku news, I'm closing in on the end of Kamen Rider Black and could not be more excited for the finale. The Great Mutants are going out like champs and Shadow Moon has been built up so well, along with Mr. Creation King. But the best part has been this right here:

Feeling some real human emotions for the fate of a big dumb rubber whale man. I hope you're safe and happy out there, Whale Mutant. You were a bro.

Just to make sure, Kamen Rider Black RX both has not been subbed and is not that good, right? I plan to move on to Shinkenger next to get some Sentai in my life, but I'm gonna miss Kotaro.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If it matters to you, the only complete Shinkenger subs I know of are TV-N's. I've been watching them and am enjoying so far, but I know some people take the "I'd rather not watch than watch with TV-N subs" approach to their Toku.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Anyone who has watched shinkenger has done it raw or with TVN subs. The show is still enjoyable with bad subs, you're just going to not have as good of an understanding of the plot/dialog as a native Japanese speaker would.

Shinkenger is a must watch, even with TVN.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, I dislike TVN, but Shinkenger gets too many good reviews to pass up, so it's definitely next on my list regardless of the quality. Plus I'm taking Japanese 3 next semester so maybe I'll be able to catch a botched line or two. That would be rad.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Augh, I think I'm going to give Ultraman Ginga one more episode. It's just so plodding and slow! There was a decent development in the most recent episode, but they seriously need to ramp it up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fred is on posted:

I gave Hibiki a shot once but it didn't click. I hope to one day see Agito and Blade competently subbed some day, as I think I'd like them.

Unless you've already seen and disliked those subs, GomenRider has done all of Agito. Though you would need to search a bit for them since the links on their site are dead and KRDL only has their releases up to episode 25.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
SHT made me hate GokaiBlue. He seems like a miserable piece of poo poo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

toomanyninjas posted:

Haha, this week's viewer-submitted Kyoryuger dancers has a great little Easter Egg at the end.

A bunch of Blustery ninja indeed...

So is Kyoryuger Violet a true 7th or an Extra Ranger? I don't believe the next episode preview showed her in it.

toomanyninjas posted:

Augh, I think I'm going to give Ultraman Ginga one more episode. It's just so plodding and slow! There was a decent development in the most recent episode, but they seriously need to ramp it up.

The character pace is a little better than Wizard, but the battle/upgrade/cool poo poo pace is suffering.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Xelkelvos posted:

A bunch of Blustery ninja indeed...

So is Kyoryuger Violet a true 7th or an Extra Ranger? I don't believe the next episode preview showed her in it.

I read somewhere that she'll be appearing more than the Spirit Rangers, but won't be an every-single-episode-team-member.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Xelkelvos posted:

the upgrade pace is suffering.

You actually want that crap? Most updates look horrible and ruin the stories they debut in.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Cliff Racer posted:

You actually want that crap? Most updates look horrible and ruin the stories they debut in.

I don't know about ruining stories, though I'll grant that sometimes they ruin fights by being boring win-buttons.

I'm liking Ginga so far, myself, though the show might've lost my interest if the episode 5 preview didn't make it look like it might start to have a plot. Hopefully the fights won't always be as formulaic (turn into previous episode's monster -> get rear end kicked -> regain upper hand -> change to Ginga and save the day) once more Ultramen get thrown into the mix.

Either way, that's a kicking rad insert song they use whenever Ginga shows up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This episode of Kyoryuger was amazing. Her little fake Kyoryu change was just about the cutest thing ever.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So, my local anime store is getting the OOOs Driver and Medal Set in next week and I could pick them up together for ~140, according to his quote/estimate. It's steeper than what I could pay online, but I'd be supporting my store. Gotta contemplate that.

He's also getting in the Beast Driver and Super Best Den-O Belt, which I would love to have (even if I haven't seen the latter) but sadly my School-Approaching Budget can't allow that since I already have the Wizardriver, and again I haven't seen Den-O.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
decided to not watch blade cuz gently caress tv nihon.

I'm watching w instead. You guys keep saying it has the better ending.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So, my local anime store is getting the OOOs Driver and Medal Set in next week and I could pick them up together for ~140, according to his quote/estimate. It's steeper than what I could pay online, but I'd be supporting my store. Gotta contemplate that.

He's also getting in the Beast Driver and Super Best Den-O Belt, which I would love to have (even if I haven't seen the latter) but sadly my School-Approaching Budget can't allow that since I already have the Wizardriver, and again I haven't seen Den-O.

I'd see what you can get the driver alone for. The Medal Set will probably be easier to get overall and will likely see quicker restocks, and if it's getting marked up by a lot, you'd easily be able to save more and just grab it on a restock. All said and done, I paid $93 for the pair with SAL shipping. I'm all about supporting local stores, but for $50 more? That's tough to swallow. If he's only asking $25 or so markup on the driver, that's not too bad, since he probably had it shipped EMS, which is expensive as hell. I gotta figure you'd be looking at a $35 markup on the driver and $15 on the Medal set though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

OZC posted:

I'd see what you can get the driver alone for. The Medal Set will probably be easier to get overall and will likely see quicker restocks, and if it's getting marked up by a lot, you'd easily be able to save more and just grab it on a restock. All said and done, I paid $93 for the pair with SAL shipping. I'm all about supporting local stores, but for $50 more? That's tough to swallow. If he's only asking $25 or so markup on the driver, that's not too bad, since he probably had it shipped EMS, which is expensive as hell. I gotta figure you'd be looking at a $35 markup on the driver and $15 on the Medal set though.
He was carrying Wizard and White Wizard drivers for 90 each, so I'm imagining the OOOs Driver will be the same. If its 5500+1000 yen for shipping on my own, roughly 65 dollars?, yeah that's about 35 before shipping. I haven't checked the price on the Medal Set, but I want to say it was just under 2000 yen? I'll check out the final prices this Wednesday (provided the don't sell out, but that's unlikely), I think 120 wouldn't be too bad, but much more than that and it'd be way cheaper to shop online. I would love to support the store, but saving's gotta come first... Well, second after toys, I guess.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Yeah, if you can get it for 120 for the pair, you'd be basically paying what Hobby Search was asking (they are usually 5-10 bucks more expensive than AmiAmi on drivers), plus EMS and a small markup. That would be a fair price all things considered, and you'd be getting it about the same speed you would have had you ordered it yourself with EMS versus waiting 2 1/2 weeks like I am with SAL.

Speaking of drivers and such, anyone see the latest Gaia Memory set they announced? 99 memories, most of which are more Dopant memories, along with new, supposedly screen accurate versions of W's core 6 (grey button, lights and sound, sparkle sticker, and Heat+Trigger can do the Twin Maximum sound), plus a T1 Eternal, T1 Cyclone (Kamen Rider Cyclone sound version), and CycloneCyclone + JokerJoker variants (I assume these are designed to go in the opposite slot of their existing counterparts). 68,000 yen, or roughly 700 bucks after shipping. Ouch. Especially since they are all gashapon-types with no lights, other than the modded versions of the core 6 where they added the lights.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

OZC posted:

Yeah, if you can get it for 120 for the pair, you'd be basically paying what Hobby Search was asking (they are usually 5-10 bucks more expensive than AmiAmi on drivers), plus EMS and a small markup. That would be a fair price all things considered, and you'd be getting it about the same speed you would have had you ordered it yourself with EMS versus waiting 2 1/2 weeks like I am with SAL.

Speaking of drivers and such, anyone see the latest Gaia Memory set they announced? 99 memories, most of which are more Dopant memories, along with new, supposedly screen accurate versions of W's core 6 (grey button, lights and sound, sparkle sticker, and Heat+Trigger can do the Twin Maximum sound), plus a T1 Eternal, T1 Cyclone (Kamen Rider Cyclone sound version), and CycloneCyclone + JokerJoker variants (I assume these are designed to go in the opposite slot of their existing counterparts). 68,000 yen, or roughly 700 bucks after shipping. Ouch. Especially since they are all gashapon-types with no lights, other than the modded versions of the core 6 where they added the lights.
Oh good I've been wanting to annoy the living hell out of everyone around me.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Vamola Mucho

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Vamola TOO Mucho!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Only a G-8 combination? That's pretty small beans still.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Poor Stegotchi. :( What a horrible place to combine to. At least it wasn't Dricera or Bunpachy, that would have looked even sillier.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
Raiden PlezuOh Kung-Fu Western Dong.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming that the tenth Voltasaur will also be able to combine with that monstrosity, and in turn give Dricera a place to stay.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm assuming that the tenth Voltasaur will also be able to combine with that monstrosity, and in turn give Dricera a place to stay.

I'm sure Dricera is already attached to the butt in the back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A toku stuntman is reading this thread and he just felt his spine shudder.

RIP G12 suit actor.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
just watched W ep. 8

phillip is the gooniest kamen rider ever

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Blackest Goon posted:

just watched W ep. 8

phillip is the gooniest kamen rider ever

Phillip is much to pretty to be a goon

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly by this point I think that Wizard has surpassed merely being boring and moved on to being downright bad.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Meanwhile, in the Super Hero Tasies Otsu net movies, Tackle is cheating on Stronger.
With a Baltan.

FortMax fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 12, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Started watching Gobusters today, five episodes in now. Enter is fabulous, even if his name is the medical prefix for intestines. And I'm loving the chemistry between the primary colors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Level Slide posted:

Started watching Gobusters today, five episodes in now. Enter is fabulous, even if his name is the medical prefix for intestines. And I'm loving the chemistry between the primary colors.

Please keep posting as you go through. Can't wait to see your thoughts on the other heroes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cliff Racer posted:

Honestly by this point I think that Wizard has surpassed merely being boring and moved on to being downright bad.

I mean, aside from this week's reveal that everyone saw coming I don't think Wizard has been that bad. I wish they still had a budget for better fights though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its not just that, despite turning into a wizard supposedly being shown as super rare, 1 in a million, etc we've seen multiple people do it now while not seeing a single phantom get created. Unless thats ~all part of the plan~ and being driven to despair actually has nothing to do with phantoms being created its really poor writing. And then there's Gremlin repeatedly going out and all but announcing to Wiseman that he's going to betray him and Wiseman actually responds positively to this. Why? Its stupid. 000 had a similar problem with its ending because they didn't want to make certain popular characters evil so their actions went unadequately explained. But unlike Anhk and cakeboss I don't think anyone likes Feuki, Gremlin and so forth so why is the plot so off the rails?

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 13, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
To be fair Cakeboss was never evil or good. He merely wanted to see people live up to their desires, whatever they may be. Or to use a horrible metaphor, he didn't want to set the city on fire, he just wanted to watch it burn.

The fact that Maki's desire was, in fact, to eliminate desire (and everything else) only nominally nudged him over to the heroes' side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
It's happening because WW WANTS it to happen and is creating specific circumstances that allow it to happen. He's been obviously shady and pretty obviously Wiseman from the beginning of the series, I don't see why people are suddenly surprised that he's the fucken puppetmaster.

They never said that it's a 1 in a million thing, they just explained why Haruto was able to. I think it's very unlikely for someone to be able to overcome their phantom during an eclipse and that's why Haruto is so special. We haven't seen it happen during the series other than recently because whenever a Gate begins to despair, a wizard is there to go into their underworld and defeat it. If, for instance, dead wife guy had Haruto shout NO YOUR WIFE DOESNT WANT YOU TO DWELL ON THE PAST HERES A LETTER, instead of Nitoh going into his underworld and killing his Phantom, he might be a wizard now too.

ETA: Also it's pretty obvious the reason Wiseman doesn't give a gently caress about Gremlin announcing he's going to betray him is because Wiseman/WW sees him as no threat and, looking at the ep where WW beat the poo poo out of Gremlin, he really isn't one. This might end up being Wiseman's OH NO MY HUBRIS WAS MY DOWNFALL MOMENT but we'll have to wait and see.

TheGreenAvenger fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 13, 2013

• Locked thread