Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In something totally unrelated to any current discussions, I can't help but think this is hilariously on-target with Eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

In something totally unrelated to any current discussions, I can't help but think this is hilariously on-target with Eva.

I don't think I've ever squeed before. I would describe the sound I just made as a squee.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've always preferred this AMV, but that was pretty funny.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Another round of AMV/parody posting, yay!

Wade Wilson posted:

I've always preferred this AMV, but that was pretty funny.

Holy poo poo, that was fantastic. The editing was brilliant.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't really think he was actually thinking "I will destroy the world if it saves Rei" so much as he was thinking "If I succeed at nothing else, I drat well am going to get this right." It's not as though we have much reason to think he had any awareness of what was happening after he...spirit-dove into Zeruel, for lack of a better phrase.

I really like the points you make, but I don't think it's just a coincidence that Shinji shouts "I don't care what happens to the world" given its state in Eva 3.33. Sure, it's something he's saying under extreme duress and he can't know its consequences, but it's almost as if Eva Unit 01 took his boast literally. Unit 01 allowed him to "save" Rei but at the cost of the near eradication of all life on Earth. There's a moral lesson somewhere in there. :shobon:

That's what makes Eva 3.33 so startling in how it presents the aftermath of the previous film. I watched Eva 2.22 with a friend long before 3.33 was ever released, and we were polarized by 2.22's climax. I saw the ending as a sweet moment where Shinji takes a chance and steps out of his comfort zone to actually accomplish something he wants. He saw Shinji as a selfish kid who was lashing out the world for taking away one of his "toys," but we both have very different interpretations of Shinji's character to begin with. I was really surprised to see with Eva 3.33 that my friend's reading of Shinji was somewhat vindicated. Shinji is being held accountable for his "selfish" desire to save Rei at the cost of everything else.

Then there's what Tuxedo Catfish said earlier, that Shinji wants to save Rei because he sees so much of his self in her and desperately needs her. It really makes it hard for me to make up my mind whether we're supposed to empathize with Shinji or vilify him. Well, that's Eva for you. It wouldn't be nearly as interesting without all the great character complexities.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't think it's far fetched to emphathize. He's basically forced to pilot and then work out for himself whether he actually wants to, and he's doing something heroic to save a friend. There's no indication in 3.33 that he knew what he was doing in the moment. He might've said he didn't care what happened to the world and 01 might've enabled him, but when he comes back he doesn't actually feel guilt about deciding to save Rei until someone clues him in that "his" Rei is still missing and it was all for nothing.

I just think it's funny how 1.11 and 2.22 looked like maaaaaybe this was a version where Shinji isn't completely poo poo on and then ahhhhhhhhhh poo poo, sorry. Turns out you killed everybody and you didn't even save Rei and everyone hates you.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

RebBrownies posted:

Just saw You Are (Not) Alone. And I have a few questions.

At the end of the movie Kaworu says something about "the third". Is he referring to Shinji as the Third Child?

Also I'm super late to the series and the movies, and I was wondering about the interpretations of the titles of the rebuild films. You are (not) alone could easily become You are alone by removing the word in parenthesis. Does anyone have any interpretations of the titles they could share? (regarding the removal of the operative parenthesis words?)

If the loop theory ends up holding water, then it seems like the if he took the path the parentheticals suggest, the cycle would be broken:

You Are (Not) Alone and You Can (Not) Advance:
If he would have stayed around, he could have helped with the fight against the Angel at the end of 2 which might have negated advancing Unit01 from fully activating. He otherwise left leaving the only line of defense remaining was Rei and her damaged Eva, as Auska was hospitalized and no one knew about Mari.

It could even apply with to his refusal to advance on the Angel that Asuka was piloting. He clearly saw the Entry Plug sticking out, being a bit passive at the start of the fight he could have yanked it out and then finished off the Angel.

You Can (Not) Redo:
His attempts to undo everything bad just played right into what is suppose to happen

Even if the loop stuff never pans out, the alternate parenthetical discourse would have still prevented t a lot of the bad poo poo that happened from happening.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 14, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think the biggest issue with Shinji isn't that he caused the impact in 2.22, which we can sympathize with if we want to, but that he learned jack poo poo from almost causing armageddon and proceed to do it again. He refuses to understand the concepts of sacrifice and loss and seeks only redemption at the cost of anything else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How many run-throughs have there been so far again? Four or so?

I like to think the "alternate universe" actually happened in one run-through, and even in that wonderfully idealistic world it all still got hosed up somehow.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In AU Eva, a random angel (useless spider angel, perhaps) just goes and strolls right into Terminal Dogma. Because there are no Evas around.

Thanks Yui!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't think it's far fetched to emphathize. He's basically forced to pilot and then work out for himself whether he actually wants to, and he's doing something heroic to save a friend. There's no indication in 3.33 that he knew what he was doing in the moment. He might've said he didn't care what happened to the world and 01 might've enabled him, but when he comes back he doesn't actually feel guilt about deciding to save Rei until someone clues him in that "his" Rei is still missing and it was all for nothing.

Exactly. Shinji is, in many ways, an utter failure of a human being. But he can only be ascribed so much blame for this when basically everyone who's ever had real power over him aside from Misato has specifically set out to make him this way - from the broader problem of Gendo's neglect and cruelty leading to Shinji's crippling depression and anxiety, to the more specific problem of putting Shinji in the Eva allegedly to protect things he values when in fact the Eva is a force for very little besides destruction. Shinji's been mislead and abused and manipulated almost since the day he was born - what he needs isn't to 'man up'. The emotional damage that has been inflicted on him has been much too severe for that. The kid just needs a goddamn hug - one that doesn't have any strings attached and that doesn't end up with the hugger's head exploding in his face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also? 14 years old. That's not really an age to be making significant, literally world-changing decisions. That's an age to be masturbating like 5 times a day, growing six inches in a summer, and not really worrying about anything but what'll be on the next test.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Unless you're in game of thrones then you're fair game

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Also? 14 years old. That's not really an age to be making significant, literally world-changing decisions. That's an age to be masturbating like 5 times a day, growing six inches in a summer, and not really worrying about anything but what'll be on the next test.

Doesn't the Japanese education system do just that, beyond the flaccid career thinking stuff that normally gets done?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Terminal Entropy posted:

Doesn't the Japanese education system do just that, beyond the flaccid career thinking stuff that normally gets done?

Stereotypes (or truths, for all I know) about Japanese/Far East culture aside, I really don't know that you can compare the poo poo Shinji goes through to studying for a test, even one with job concerns on the table.

biomatter
Aug 14, 2013
I know I'm a little behind on the times, but I just started watching this and it is pretty interesting. Having watched lots of anime post-Evangelion, it's really cool seeing the source of lots of other tropes - I'm also trying not to let the 'Seinfield is Unfunny' effect set in. For example, I know that NGA and Tengen Toppa were both made by Gainax, and holy cow there are so many parallels in the first couple of episodes!

- Humanity hides underground from surface creatures
- Protagonist unwillingly has to fight right off the bat
- Protagonist hulks out to fix damage to the mecha
- Mecha have a very positive response to the protagonist despite no experience (though this could be common in lots of anime I'll admit)
- There were a few other things I can't remember right now

It feels like they are at opposite ends of the same genre-spectrum, though. Whereas TTGL was happy-go-lucky and fights are where hilarity ensues, the first battle the NGA protagonist gets in loving breaks him, and as grotesque as it was I liked the realistic approach. If you throw a middle schooler into a loving warzone, of course he isn't going to come back without PTSD.

The only thing I don't like about the show so far are all the long, drawn-out still shots. I understand that it is trying to be more mellow and dramatic, but jesus christ do those scenes last forever sometimes. The art itself is pretty good - it doesn't exactly hold up to modern anime - but there are lots of little details that add to the realism of each scene. The design of the angels is great too, and I love their variety and uniqueness. There are too many shows where the antagonists are just bigger/stronger versions of the last schmuck.

Anyways, I know the ending has a reputation for being extremely controversial, so I'll try not to spoil myself, but I think I'll be able to take it. I secretly hope that it's one of those good-but-confusing endings that leaves most people riled up because they were too small-minded to understand what the gently caress just happened. Worst case scenario, it doesn't answer anything and I move on to supplementary material to figure it out. I suppose there are even worse scenarios, but eh, it would take a lot of abuse to make me mad. That's not an invitation.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

biomatter posted:

The only thing I don't like about the show so far are all the long, drawn-out still shots. I understand that it is trying to be more mellow and dramatic, but jesus christ do those scenes last forever sometimes. The art itself is pretty good - it doesn't exactly hold up to modern anime - but there are lots of little details that add to the realism of each scene. The design of the angels is great too, and I love their variety and uniqueness. There are too many shows where the antagonists are just bigger/stronger versions of the last schmuck.

Just a heads about that: you can see when they started to run out of time and money, as the drawn out shots get a lot longer later on, though it only happens a couple of times.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

biomatter posted:

The only thing I don't like about the show so far are all the long, drawn-out still shots. I understand that it is trying to be more mellow and dramatic, but jesus christ do those scenes last forever sometimes. The art itself is pretty good - it doesn't exactly hold up to modern anime - but there are lots of little details that add to the realism of each scene.

Hahaha, boy are you in for a treat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
On the other hand one of those ludicrously drawn-out shots is one of the most memorable scenes/events in the series, so it's not all bad.

biomatter posted:

I secretly hope that it's one of those good-but-confusing endings that leaves most people riled up because they were too small-minded to understand what the gently caress just happened.

Yeah I think you're gonna like End of Evangelion. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: yeah I'll just remove my post and replace it with Dred's. You better not skip it, either.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Hahaha, boy are you in for a treat.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't understand 1/4th of EOE and it's still one of my favorite things ever. Also great for getting stoned to.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

biomatter posted:

The only thing I don't like about the show so far are all the long, drawn-out still shots. I understand that it is trying to be more mellow and dramatic, but jesus christ do those scenes last forever sometimes.
The artistic choices were sometimes driven by budget constraints. Later on, you'll run into "briefing" or "meeting" scenes in which characters conveniently hold objects (e.g. notebooks, folders, coffee mugs) in front of their faces while speaking, in order to spare the expense of synchronizing the mouth-flapping animation. Extended still-shots are sometimes used for the same reason, but at other times they're deliberately included in order to "capture the viewer" in the moment, or to deliberately induce a sense of unease.

The convenient-camera-angle thing is parodied in the movies (when they had a much larger budget to work with). Characters will occasionally hold an object just beside their faces while speaking - but the mouth flaps are still visible, and there's usually a crapton of expensive 3DCG stuff occurring in the background. NGE loves to gently caress with its audience.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

GulMadred posted:

NGE loves to gently caress with its audience.

Best thing about it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also great for getting stoned to.

Just the thought of this scares me.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

House Louse posted:

Just the thought of this scares me.

I'd think it'd be scarier still to do the above, but to have something else playing over that song during that sequence.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On the other hand one of those ludicrously drawn-out shots is one of the most memorable scenes/events in the series, so it's not all bad.

I think the drawn-out shots perfectly reflect the crushing moodiness of the latter half of the show (both of which were coincidentally brought about by budget constraints!).

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If nothing else I think that they handle their budget troubles with a lot more finesse and style than most manage.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't understand 1/4th of EOE and it's still one of my favorite things ever. Also great for getting stoned to.

:stare: I watched the T.V. series and EoE well before I got into mind altering substances. I have new plans for this weekend.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Out of curiosity, which scene are you talking about exactly? I could think of several off the top of my head.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yureina posted:

Out of curiosity, which scene are you talking about exactly? I could think of several off the top of my head.

The scene where Shinji spends more than a minute holding Kaworu with Unit-01 before killing him.

At least, that's what I'm betting on. Sure there's plenty of scenes where people just stand around (the elevator one with Rei and Asuka is my favorite), but that one's undoubtedly the "big one".

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah I think you're gonna like End of Evangelion. :v:

I don't know, I liked those drawn out scenes, seemed more realistic in a sense, good contrast to the ultra dramatic battle sequences.

Also, the end of Evangelion is without a doubt one of the best endings to a show I have ever seen.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

biomatter posted:

I secretly hope that it's one of those good-but-confusing endings that leaves most people riled up because they were too small-minded to understand what the gently caress just happened.

My my, someone has a high opinion of themself. You might be counting yourself among the small minded people by the end.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ViggyNash posted:

Another round of AMV/parody posting, yay!

Holy poo poo, that was fantastic. The editing was brilliant.

My favorite parts are the ones that are exactly like the original music video for that song.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The scene where Shinji spends more than a minute holding Kaworu with Unit-01 before killing him.

I just watched that one again two nights ago, and I was literally squirming the whole time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

I just watched that one again two nights ago, and I was literally squirming the whole time.

Of course, with a bit of thinking/AMVs... (obviously, spoilers are involved with the video, and the payoff is worth it if you watch/listen all the way through the first time).

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 15, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Of course, with a bit of thinking/AMVs... (obviously, spoilers are involved with the video, and the payoff is worth it if you watch/listen all the way through the first time).

Somehow forcing myself to keep going made me laugh even harder. I can't explain it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

God drat it.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I just watched You Can (Not) Redo and I want to go lie out in the middle of the street. I have too many things I want to say but I can't even articulate them.

If anyone here has seen Metropolis (the animated movie), do you guys have the same feeling I do about the radio/shinji's tape player. All I could think was REI'S SOUL IS TRAPPED IN THE TAPE DECK. That probably won't happen but both movies made me cry and I was drawing parallels.

Is anyone ever going to get a leg up on Gendo :qq: It seems he knows about everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gendo is actually the Eva universe's Xanatos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I googled Xanatos and I don't know if you are referring to Star Wars or Gargoyles.