Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

The Blackest Goon posted:

Since I'm almost done, I'll go ahead and ask:

Black, Kabuto, or OOO.

Which should I watch (or i should say watch completely :smug:) next?

I say OOO, but that's my favorite tokusatsu, so I'm a bit biased there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Black, Kabuto, or OOO.

OOO. It's not as good as W and has a noodly main character, but the supporting cast more than makes up for it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

W Challenge Mode: Stop watching at 48.

Ya'll gon stop dissing episode 49.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
W ep. 48

well, atleast someone finally managed to shut her up

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Watch OOOs, it's good all around! And then watch Kabuto. Which has the worst protagonist and love interest, but the best everything else.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

Ya'll gon stop dissing episode 49.
I loving love 49. I just think that holy poo poo what if you stopped watching after 48's ending?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Are you planning on watching the three W movies before you start another series?

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
48 (sort of) finishes out Philip's arc, but it's not really done until 49, and if you drop off before 49 you don't get an ending for Shotaro's arc at all. (Or Wakana's, lets be real.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I loving love 49. I just think that holy poo poo what if you stopped watching after 48's ending?
Please no, I cried when I first watched 48. I need that episode 49 :qq:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
All done!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Do Shinkenger next and see how much blatantly better the best Sentai is than the best Rider.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I hope to one day be able to actually watch Shinkenger (in a way that doesn't annoy me).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Do Shinkenger next and see how much blatantly better the best Sentai is than the best Rider.

SpiderHyphenMan proving he's still the most incorrect poster in the thread.

(The best Rider is Stroger. And the best Sentai is Carranger :colbert:)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Now watch the movies!

(What'd you think of the final episode?)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

when its subbed completely by a non-aspergers fansub group sure.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Watch OOO. I feel a lot of the hate directed towards it were from people who watched it weekly as it aired. OOO goes down much better watching it back to back and I think it's just as good as W.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
While OOO is a great show it is pretty similar to W, maybe watch something in the middle to break it up. Also the first half of episode 49 is great, just turn it off right when Sho gets that call to go to the hospital or whatever it is.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Almost caught up on Kyoryuger, I just want to give a special mention to episode 19 for the "You know I actually saw you switch over, right?" bit. That entire moment was amazingly timed, I don't think I've ever laughed that hard during the series so far!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Can Of Worms posted:

Almost caught up on Kyoryuger, I just want to give a special mention to episode 19 for the "You know I actually saw you switch over, right?" bit. That entire moment was amazingly timed, I don't think I've ever laughed that hard during the series so far!
Kyoryuger is a genuinely hilarious show but I sometimes wonder if Over-Time ever punches it up a little, like they did with that one Marvelous line in the Gokaiger finale that went from "You can tell your son about it in the afterlife" to "You can whine about it to your kid when your dead." I'm not saying that I'm concerned about literal faithfulness to the dialogue of a Japanese toy commercial, because I'm not, but I would like to know when to give credit where credit is due to O-T.

It could be because I'm watching Dairanger and I swear the translation is really loving stilted. It's gotten a bit better in the past few episodes (up to 30 now!) but still, compared to all the series I've watched that had O-T translating, everyone talks like a loving robot.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Over-Time is probably the best subbing group out right now because not a lot of sub groups actually seem to get characters right. It's just literal junk. I love that line from Marvelous in Gokaiger you mentioned and Over Time really hits the mark on making characters sound like...characters?

Dairanger might be different because of how far back it is but it's legitimately a great series. Every member is quite important and the only downside is how poorly they had to shoehorn Kou into certain fight scenes. I assume since the actor was so young he couldn't film as much as the adults. Dairanger feels like it's all about growing up and growing into more than you were before. It's such a fun show with a handful of flaws, but it's totally worth the ride.

Granted I think Shinkenger blows so take my word for what it's worth. :v:

Black, Kabuto, or OOO.

Kabuto gets odd during the middle, and OOO has some writing flaws, but both of them are still fine shows. Kabuto does have one of the smuggest dicks for a protagonist you'll ever see so just be prepared for that. I've heard great things about Black as well. Personally I might suggest Agito? It's one of Inoue's best before he vomited Faiz onto people.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Over-Time is probably the best subbing group out right now because not a lot of sub groups actually seem to get characters right. It's just literal junk. I love that line from Marvelous in Gokaiger you mentioned and Over Time really hits the mark on making characters sound like...characters?

Dairanger might be different because of how far back it is but it's legitimately a great series. Every member is quite important and the only downside is how poorly they had to shoehorn Kou into certain fight scenes. I assume since the actor was so young he couldn't film as much as the adults. Dairanger feels like it's all about growing up and growing into more than you were before. It's such a fun show with a handful of flaws, but it's totally worth the ride.

Granted I think Shinkenger blows so take my word for what it's worth.
It's been 30 episodes and I do not have a bead on Kazu's character at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Kabuto gets AMAZING during the middle

Fixed that for you. Seriously, I wish every show could be half as good as The Iron Chef episode or any Sasword/Hopper Bros. episode.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

30 episodes into Gobuster. I wasn't expecting the initial conflict to get resolved so soon. Honorable mention to Enter's short-lived giant robot. That implies someone in the Megazord research team was a fan of Zone of the Enders, and that's cool. What's the remaining 20 going to have? Nobody answer that question.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Level Slide posted:

30 episodes into Gobuster. I wasn't expecting the initial conflict to get resolved so soon. Honorable mention to Enter's short-lived giant robot. That implies someone in the Megazord research team was a fan of Zone of the Enders, and that's cool. What's the remaining 20 going to have? Nobody answer that question.

It's goooooooood.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Level Slide posted:

It has more of J being The Best.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Level Slide posted:

The next two episodes are the worst in the series, but are saved by a spirited translation choice on O-T's part.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Pssst...go watch episode 30 again, and this time change your subtitles to the secret second track that Overtime included. It's totally worth it.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dexie posted:

Pssst...go watch episode 30 again, and this time change your subtitles to the secret second track that Overtime included. It's totally worth it.

Wait, WHAT.

Edit: Oh my god.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 22, 2013

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait, WHAT.

Edit: Oh my god.

It's a thing of beauty. No one found it until Magenta spilled the beans about it.

I guess you could say...it's a secret to everybody?

Make sure you check out the next episode preview at the end, too. It cements the entire thing into the realm of pure awesome.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

What what what

OT why are you the best?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh NOW you tell me after I deleted the series awhile ago.

All the W talk got me to finally watch the rest of the movies, I only saw Gaia Memories of Fate and Movie War 2010 beforehand, and I really liked them. Accel was great and Eternal was very good. I really really like the Eternal guy, and I wish he did more shows but he is 40. I'm bullshitting on the last one because I have more Dairanger to watch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dexie posted:

That was AMAZING.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's been 30 episodes and I do not have a bead on Kazu's character at all.

Don't feel too bad, I kind of forget everyone in that show but Daigo and Kou.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Don't feel too bad, I kind of forget everyone in that show but Daigo and Kou.
I like the Master whose costume is just straight up pajamas.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RBX posted:

I'm bullshitting on the last one because I have more Dairanger to watch.
What episode are you up to and how are you finding it, because I had heard it described as one of the greats, but it's not killing it for me like Shinkenger or Go-Busters.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

13. I love every bit of it though. Its old school campy goodness with kickass fights, the best loving roll call of all time, tough rear end heroes, and badass mecha (I was always partial to the Thunderzords, I really loved them as a child). I love the villans and finally seeing them as they originally were is great. I had no idea the Lipstick monster was that hotblooded.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

???

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm really talking about the monsters, I don't know enough about those 3 to judge them. And bad translation is bad.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I finally found it. The worst episode name.

Edit:

I think the QC quit, guys.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What don't you like other than the translation? If you're watching Showa era anything you have to change you expectations. I grew up watching Godzilla movies before ever watching Sentai/Kamen Rider so I knew what to expect.

• Locked thread