Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

RBX posted:

What don't you like other than the translation? If you're watching Showa era anything you have to change you expectations. I grew up watching Godzilla movies before ever watching Sentai/Kamen Rider so I knew what to expect.

But Dairanger isn't a Showa series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I got it mixed up. Heisei and millennium, you know what I mean.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Granted, Dairanger was like the second Heisei Sentai, so it's kind of a transition period.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

To me everything still feels like Showa until Megaranger then Heisei ends at Gaoranger but that's more of overall feel. I don't know how else to explain it.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I haven't watched a lot of sentai, but I can say that the design philosophies changed dramatically from Jetman to Zyuranger and Dairanger too. The Megazords in Zyu, Dai and Kaku are just one thousand times better looking than almost everything before it. And then Ohranger is a bit meh, but whatever.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Granted, Dairanger was like the second Heisei Sentai, so it's kind of a transition period.
It's actually the fifth.

And Jetman's dialogue was never this flat, which again makes me wonder if it's the show, or the translation.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Waffleman_ posted:

What? It was the fifth Heisei Sentai. And the "transition" from one to the other was literally TV Aishi not airing a new episode of Liveman the day Showa died.

RBX posted:

To me everything still feels like Showa until Megaranger then Heisei ends at Gaoranger but that's more of overall feel. I don't know how else to explain it.

That's like saying the Bay Transformers movies are from the '90s.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

RBX posted:

I don't think its really possible to argue that Jet/Zyu was anything but a titanic shift in the way the shows were made when you combine the improved mechs, addition of sixth rangers and replacement of sci-fi with fantasy elements. Oh, and Power Rangers too, though no-one knew that was going to be happening at the time. I'd argue that Gaoranger had a similar shift away from the 90s stuff with its heavy emphasis on CG and generally "lighter" plots than previous series. Who knows there might be a similar series in the early 80s that changed a lot of stuff but I haven't watched any of that so ehh. Everyone gets caught up on Showa/Heisei but the emperor didn't do anything to sentai, changing times in general did.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

I haven't watched a lot of sentai, but I can say that the design philosophies changed dramatically from Jetman to Zyuranger and Dairanger too. The Megazords in Zyu, Dai and Kaku are just one thousand times better looking than almost everything before it. And then Ohranger is a bit meh, but whatever.
Jetman's mecha are infinitely better than Dairanger's. Anyone saying otherwise is just nostalgic for the Thunderzords.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

They also are the best designs.

FortMax posted:

That's like saying the Bay Transformers movies are from the '90s.

Well I don't mean literally from that era. And the bayformers wouldn't be 90's anyway.

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't think its really possible to argue that Jet/Zyu was anything but a titanic shift in the way the shows were made when you combine the improved mechs, addition of sixth rangers and replacement of sci-fi with fantasy elements. Oh, and Power Rangers too, though no-one knew that was going to be happening at the time. I'd argue that Gaoranger had a similar shift away from the 90s stuff with its heavy emphasis on CG and generally "lighter" plots than previous series. Who knows there might be a similar series in the early 80s that changed a lot of stuff but I haven't watched any of that so ehh. Everyone gets caught up on Showa/Heisei but the emperor didn't do anything to sentai, changing times in general did.

Well while Zyu and Dai have 6th rangers and poo poo they still don't feel any differently (I have only finished Zyu don't kill if im wrong). The film work is similar, the fights play out similar, lots of shouting and pointing to the sky,and the Rangers dont poo poo all over everything every episode (They usually get the poo poo beat out of them). Ohranger (from what i've seen) is the prototype for what i'm talking about. Gaoranger starts the collect-a-thon stuff and all the different mechs and horrid combinations with the overarching story being more in focus.

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Who knows there might be a similar series in the early 80s that changed a lot of stuff

Bioman.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jetman's mecha are infinitely better than Dairanger's. Anyone saying otherwise is just nostalgic for the Thunderzords.

Aside from his winged helm Jet Icarus is just like every robot that had shown up for the past eight or so years, a series of boxes piled on top of each other in the shape of a man. Daizyujin with its massive chest and shoulder-pads and whatever Dairanger's mech was with its big circular chest, dark color scheme and samurai helmet was very different. Or hell, just look at the leg pieces they used. Cubes with details painted on for Jetman, foam molded into the shapes of mythical beasts for Dairanger. Now Jet Garuda and Tetra Boy were quite different but they weren't the main robot and didn't get all that much focus.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Fixed that for you. Seriously, I wish every show could be half as good as The Iron Chef episode or any Sasword/Hopper Bros. episode.

I would love to give Kabuto an actual shot but I refuse until it has subs that aren't TVN dogshit.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Liar Lyre posted:

And then Ohranger is a bit meh, but whatever.

I liked the Ohranger mecha because the legs were Daleks.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dickeye posted:

I would love to give Kabuto an actual shot but I refuse until it has subs that aren't TVN dogshit.

Watch the dub like I am.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RBX posted:

Watch the dub like I am.

Do this. The dub seems pretty decent.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Cliff Racer posted:

Now Jet Garuda and Tetra Boy were quite different but they weren't the main robot and didn't get all that much focus.

My favorite thing about Jet Garuda is that, despite being from another dimension, he has the exact same cockpit as Jet Icarus. And Daizyujin like it so much that he used it, too!

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

toomanyninjas posted:

My favorite thing about Jet Garuda is that, despite being from another dimension, he has the exact same cockpit as Jet Icarus. And Daizyujin like it so much that he used it, too!

The individual Guardian Beasts' cockpits were reused from Jetman as well. And the Turboranger cockpits were reused in Fiveman, and again for the bad-guy-bots in Jet and Zyu.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Why does God need a cockpit?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Probably a repurposed torture chamber, I can see Daizyujin being the kind of rear end in a top hat god who'd cram a few non-believers in there.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

FortMax posted:

The individual Guardian Beasts' cockpits were reused from Jetman as well. And the Turboranger cockpits were reused in Fiveman, and again for the bad-guy-bots in Jet and Zyu.

It's great seeing toku shows cut as many corners as possible. I'm a big fan of when they recycle suits for monsters over and over. There's a Japanese wiki page for every time they did it but it's interesting if you can kinda parse what the lovely google translation is saying.

http://www31.atwiki.jp/sentai-kaijin/pages/2102.html

Kiva was really pretty bad about recycling suits which is why when they had the big Fangire armies near the end you'd only see about a dozen different ones. I guess the suits cost a lot more to make with all that pretty stained glass on them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
26 episodes in and I just realized that the Shinkengers all have differently shaped helmets. That's some interteam diversity that you don't see all that often. Patterns and visors, sure, but full on helmet shape is an interesting choice.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Go-Onger did that too, its especially noticeable with blue's bus shaped helmet.

Anyways I wish they'd stop reusing that one Go-Onger villain suit. We've seen it enough times already, its boring now!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

So, here's a thing. The last two episodes here are called "The Kamen Rider Rings" and "The Story Unending". These sound a bit like clip show fill-in titles, and 53 is fairly absurd in general. This isn't the important part of the image though.

The important part of the image is that those two episodes, the last word of the series, are being penned by Shō Aikawa. Not the head writer for the series, not even the secondary writer. Shō Aikawa.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
I'm currently going through Kamen Rider Ibiki and I chuckled a little when I saw this:

Sampdoria 90' jersey. Hibiki coolest heisei show confirmed (not) :v:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Justin_Brett posted:

Don't feel too bad, I kind of forget everyone in that show but Daigo and Kou.

Daigo is seriously the best. Watch the soccer episode and when he does the goal illusion look at the look on his face. It's this amazing smug grin and I love it. His actor brings it every loving episode and he owns hard.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

AzraelNewtype posted:

So, here's a thing. The last two episodes here are called "The Kamen Rider Rings" and "The Story Unending". These sound a bit like clip show fill-in titles, and 53 is fairly absurd in general. This isn't the important part of the image though.

The important part of the image is that those two episodes, the last word of the series, are being penned by Shō Aikawa. Not the head writer for the series, not even the secondary writer. Shō Aikawa.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any clue what we should be taking from this? I've seen some of FMA and a bit of Nadesico, but not a bit of Blade, Boukenger, or Decade. Or is it just a sign that something's screwy with the production?

Also do you know who else brings it every 'episode'? Alex Smith. MVP material right there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Darksaber posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is there any clue what we should be taking from this? I've seen some of FMA and a bit of Nadesico, but not a bit of Blade, Boukenger, or Decade. Or is it just a sign that something's screwy with the production?

Also do you know who else brings it every 'episode'? Alex Smith. MVP material right there.

In the last episode it turns out this is all part of a time loop and the eclipse that's going to happen is the same one that turned numbnuts into Wizard and the cycle of stupid bullshit will be complete.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Appologies if this has already been posted, but here are Kamen Riders as cats.

http://comicsalliance.com/kamen-rider-kitty-fan-art-chiro/

Edit for actual content: I suppose I should stop holding out that over time will sub the rest of Shinkenger, eh? Seriously though, what is the word on that?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 23, 2013

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Darksaber posted:

:qq: I never asked for this!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dairanger spoilers:

This translation is completely loving broken.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Dairanger 49: Ha ha! You, the person who openly opposed me on several occasions and repeatedly got in my way, are actually my clay puppet made to do my every bidding as part of the most circuitous plan ever devised!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Dairanger 49: Ha ha! You, the person who openly opposed me on several occasions and repeatedly got in my way, are actually my clay puppet made to do my every bidding as part of the most circuitous plan ever devised!

It gets more incoherent.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It gets more incoherent.
Oh no! I was also a clay doll! What the gently caress does this even mean?! And did you kill me with an ordinary knife?! Didn't I survive being crushed by your Ultimate Mecha's final attack, which is literally just flying real high and then dropping on the enemy in the middle of Tokyo?[/i]

Also, the show absolutely should have ended with DaiJinRyuu killing everyone, since I thought that's what he was going to do if the Dai and Gorma stopped fighting. Wouldn't it have made more sense to permanently sacrifice their powers in order to spare the world?

The final episodes are so hilariously nonsensical that I'm not sure whether or not to count it as a plus or a negative when I rank Dairanger with the other shows.

Edit: From Best to Worst
Shinkenger
Go-Busters
Jetman
Gokaiger
Dairanger
Gaoranger
Go-Onger
Gekiranger

Next up: Zyuranger! I look forward to the Green Ranger Saga, the Mecha fights, and not much else.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 24, 2013

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Is there a show (might not even technically be a tokusatsu at this point) that takes Go-Busters to its logical conclusion? I'm partway through and really liking it, but it feels constrained by the need to ultimately still be Sentai and also sell toys at the end of the day. I'm sure something like that exists, I just don't know what it is. You know, a show where the villain can gain the upper hand and make smart moves, and where there might not technically need to be a monster of the week for there to be something happening.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know what show is just fantastic?

Kamen Rider V3. I loving love Kamen Rider V3. Dude has a method of dealing with enemies that modern heroes REALLY need to learn from. Punching every enemy, and friend, in the goddamn face until they loving explode. V3 is just a whirlwind of face punching and super kicks and it's amazing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hbomberguy posted:

Is there a show (might not even technically be a tokusatsu at this point) that takes Go-Busters to its logical conclusion? I'm partway through and really liking it, but it feels constrained by the need to ultimately still be Sentai and also sell toys at the end of the day. I'm sure something like that exists, I just don't know what it is. You know, a show where the villain can gain the upper hand and make smart moves, and where there might not technically need to be a monster of the week for there to be something happening.

Garo, I guess? Though that's really more taking KR to its logical conclusion and has a lot of bad CGI. If you want animated stuff I'm sure that there's stuff that would scratch your itch even if I'm not sure what I'd recommend (last season of JLU maybe?) Oh and there's Blake's 7, an old British scifi show that sort of works though it is still very episodic and isn't exactly about super-heroics. On the plus side they used a quarry to film half the episodes, have goofy team weapons and Blake, Avon and Vila are totally a red, black and male yellow.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Cliff Racer posted:

Garo, I guess? Though that's really more taking KR to its logical conclusion and has a lot of bad CGI. If you want animated stuff I'm sure that there's stuff that would scratch your itch even if I'm not sure what I'd recommend (last season of JLU maybe?) Oh and there's Blake's 7, an old British scifi show that sort of works though it is still very episodic and isn't exactly about super-heroics. On the plus side they used a quarry to film half the episodes, have goofy team weapons and Blake, Avon and Vila are totally a red, black and male yellow.

Good recommendations. I already saw some of Garo and lost interest, it's not quite to my taste I think. I really like Blake's 7 though, even the unintentionally hilarious stuff is great. It's basically the UK version of a sentai show.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

First trailer for Gaim is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this thread is now about the origins of tokustatsu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JyL4IKnzZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRX_aIXw0dA

• Locked thread