Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Winds of Words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

savinhill posted:

Joramun's using the royal "we" 'cuz he was really saying stuff like that back then.

I was but a young girl who knew little in the ways of bad threads.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Remember when we thought Joramun was Azure_Horizon's sockpuppet? Those were the days...of high adventure! :black101:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Everyone knows words are windy.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Has this ever been posted?:

http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Contents.html

It's long-winded but good.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

ShaqDiesel posted:

What in the holy gently caress. This is more disturbing than anything written by George.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

a person crazier about these books than even A_H posted:

One observation led to another, and I found myself having written fifteen thousand words, and still feeling superficial

I mean, I think Kylaer's fanfic still tops that but at least that involved 40k (read: didn't need much thought) and wasn't a loving plot analysis of four chapters.

E: I'm sorry, this person wrote One Hundred Fifty Thousand Words on these four chapters (the other 150k being quotes, apparently). Kylaer is clearly beat and we should take his continued silence as shame for having failed in his attempt to write the most idiotic thing involving ASOIAF.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 22, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I couldn't get through the rough overview while I'm here at work, but what the hell is that? At least we can estimate the Kolmogorov complexity of those chapters...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I do still think Vic's, Cersei's, Barristan's, Bran's and Arya's chapters in ADWD, along with Theon and Jeyne's heart-stopping escape from Winterfell, were great enough by themselves to redeem the book as a whole. Despite how very, very bad it got at times (most notably Jon Snow getting more chapters in the book than any other character and almost all of them being utterly terrible), the good still outweighed the bad. I can't say the same for AFFC, of which only Cersei's chapters I have any desire of ever reading again because that arc truly was spectacularly plotted and written. Her reign was just such a beautiful disaster.

Jon Snow turning into a bad character whose chapters are nothing but a slog to get through already started in ASOS btw, so that can't be put entirely on the shoulders of ADWD either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Tyrion was worse than John Snow. John at least killed Janos Slynt, Tyrion rode a pig.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Is it wrong that I really hate Penny? Because I really hate Penny. I can almost see conceptually where GRRM thought she was a good idea, but it's like he totally forgot why anyone would possibly want to see Tyrion do anything. She was a one chapter character at best and instead we had her tumbling in a cabin with Tyrion for what felt like half of his chapters.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Tyrion was worse than John Snow. John at least killed Janos Slynt, Tyrion rode a pig.

I actually didn't mind Tyrion's chapters in ADWD. The locations he visited, characters he met, and stuff that happened to him were pretty varied and interesting. I don't have an irrational hatred for Penny like some others seem to, either.

In terms of quality of the ADWD chapters of the four major returning POV characters, Bran > Tyrion > Dany > Jon, IMO.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't forget Bran's chapters ending in complete stupidity, and Dany becoming an even more useless character.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Dany's chapters in DWD were worth it just for the "aroused by their arousal" line.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Huh. Bran and Jon were my favorite parts of ADWD, with Aegon at the end. Maybe I'm just wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clearly you are :rolleyes:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

captain platypus posted:

Huh. Bran and Jon were my favorite parts of ADWD, with Aegon at the end. Maybe I'm just wrong.

You may be forgiven if by "Jon" you mean Connington, rather than Snow.

Even though Victarion's chapters should just be everyone's favorite part of ADWD, in general.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

ShaqDiesel posted:

I've reading this over the past few days and it is really loving long-winded. I can't say I agree with all of their conclusions, but there is some absolutely stellar analysis in there. I never knew how much Roose loved horses.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
My favorite point of view character in ADWD was the one where not a single plot advanced forward except some random switched at birth baby who just showed up out of nowhere for no reason and my god am I reading General Hospital?

Now that I've come accept that these two books are just a really long Clash of Kings, I'm much more happy with the fact that nothing happens and he's just building stuff up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Don't forget Bran's chapters ending in complete stupidity, and Dany becoming an even more useless character.

Finally an excuse to use this after someone posted a Beauty and the Beast gif (which, I just realized is doubly funny because GURM wrote for the grimdark 80s romantic crime drama series of the same name.)

Pretty pale princess Dany is going back to rule the ruthless hordes of swarthy people because dragons. So here, have some racism to go with the sexism and rapism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Rau01wbeo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahahahaha rapism.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ShaqDiesel posted:

He makes a lot of salient points, especially with how much we learned about Winterfell in ADWD. The theory that a ton of magic is flowing out of it (even Winter itself) is pretty interesting.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm not reading all this bullshit, but does he cover the irrefutable fact that Varys is a merman?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm not reading all this bullshit, but does he cover the irrefutable fact that Varys is a merman?

No, because to reasonably explore the nuances of that theory they'd need six hundred thousand words.

Both, of course, pale before the effort they would have to go to explaining how Tyrion is irrefutably a Targaryen.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The worst part about AFFC/ADWD is that not a single plot concludes in those books, the pacing is terrible, The cutoff point between the "After the feast" chapters in ADWD only serves to make both books worse.

You have AFFC, in which Brienne and Cersei's story sort of have decent buildup and conclusions and are rather self-contained, but then Jaime, Ironborn, Arya, Sam and Dorne are just cut off half way through without anything conclusive really happening.

ADWD 'after the feast' chapters then pick up on those story lines and don't really advance most of them except for Cersei, Sam isn't even present as the next Sam chapter is bound to reveal a bit too much than the GRRM is really willing to reveal when the other plots stagnate so much. The Arya chapter is completely pointless, the Victarion chapters own but they don't advance the plot in any meaningful manner, Cersei's chapter is rather poor and serves merely as an epilogue to her AFFC adventures. The single Dorne/Areo chapter pretty much only serves to alert the reader that "some time has passed, we're now back in Dorne and after the events of AFFC".

Davos' ADWD chapters might be the worst offenders as they are drat good chapters that just disappear once there's a real prospect that they might actually advance the plot. Theon/Asha also just trail off on the cusp of something actually happening.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Disagree on Theon, Jon, Dany and Tyrion. Their plots clearly end at a resolution of the relevant character arcs.

Theon rebuilds himself from his destruction at the hands of Ramsay, accepts what he's done and what's been done to him, and ends up trying to do what's right even though it won't make up for his sins.

Jon fucks up ruling so catastrophically that his men turn on him and (attempt to, most likely successfully) kill him.

Dany realizes that trying to rule as a "mother" is a waste of time, that she's not good at it anyway, and that what she is good at is conquest. She ends the plot about to attempt to take over a khalasar.

Tyrion ends his arc having processed his actions, his role in the world as a dwarf, a known regicide, and a Lannister, and resolves to take back his birthright (because not being a Lannister sucks. He's still not a good person after ADWD).

No, there isn't a final resolution of any overarching plot thread but even if a lot of them are poo poo they do generally resolve themselves.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The worst part about AFFC/ADWD is that not a single plot concludes in those books, the pacing is terrible, The cutoff point between the "After the feast" chapters in ADWD only serves to make both books worse.

You have AFFC, in which Brienne and Cersei's story sort of have decent buildup and conclusions and are rather self-contained, but then Jaime, Ironborn, Arya, Sam and Dorne are just cut off half way through without anything conclusive really happening.

ADWD 'after the feast' chapters then pick up on those story lines and don't really advance most of them except for Cersei, Sam isn't even present as the next Sam chapter is bound to reveal a bit too much than the GRRM is really willing to reveal when the other plots stagnate so much. The Arya chapter is completely pointless, the Victarion chapters own but they don't advance the plot in any meaningful manner, Cersei's chapter is rather poor and serves merely as an epilogue to her AFFC adventures. The single Dorne/Areo chapter pretty much only serves to alert the reader that "some time has passed, we're now back in Dorne and after the events of AFFC".

Davos' ADWD chapters might be the worst offenders as they are drat good chapters that just disappear once there's a real prospect that they might actually advance the plot. Theon/Asha also just trail off on the cusp of something actually happening.

I was quite pleased when Buddy got killed by the dragons, because at least it ended a plot thread.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

rypakal posted:

My favorite point of view character in ADWD was the one where not a single plot advanced forward except some random switched at birth baby who just showed up out of nowhere for no reason and my god am I reading General Hospital?

In hindsight, this happy horseshit began with Bran the coma boy. ZOMG! will he wake up and spill the neeps on the incestuous fuckings? Will Ned discover the terrible secret Jon Arryn died for? Who really are Jon Snow's parents? Who poisoned J.B. or was it all a green dream? Stay tuned!

It's almost as if GRRM developed his literary chops writing TV serials. But, what the gently caress do I know?

Seldom Posts, there are theories out there that the Crispy Prince is still alive. Imma stick my head in a bucket now.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Most times, it's hard to even tell the difference between A Song of Ice and Fire chapter summaries and The Bold and the Beautiful episode recaps on SoapCentral. Both have people coming back from the dead all the time, secret heirs, luciously flowing hair, fistfights to the death, spies whispering and plotting in the hallways, characters plunging to their deaths off high bridges, legal battles and discussions about parentage, incest, wedding massacres, various Houses vying for eachother's wealth and power, fabulous long gowns, and so on.

Rhaegar Targaryen is basically a Ridge Forrester expy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

So who would McKenzie Westmore play?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Gygaxian posted:

Finally finished A Dance With Dragons. That was the worst slog of a book I've ever managed to finish. I liked the chapters with Jon Connington and Aegon near the end, and chapters featuring Stannis are always great, but otherwise, it's so awful. Especially the Danerys chapters. I thought you guys were kidding with the "brown water" thing.

My opinion is that the worst part of the book by far is Bran learning to fly. The end of Dany's plotline is terrible, but the fact that Bran's five-book quest to learn to fly is fulfilled by hearing the phrase "Just warg into a raven, it's easy" (and it is, he doesn't even get a proper training montage, he goes from nothing to full flight in the span of a paragraph) is far worse. It's something he could have done long prior to that, if he'd only thought of it. It's not a unique or unheard-of talent, either, since Orell is a bit-part character and could do it, and so could Varamyr. So, his flight, the completion of all his dreams and prophesies, turns out to be nothing special. In a book full of let-downs, that is the greatest.

whowhatwhere posted:

Kylaer is clearly beat and we should take his continued silence as shame for having failed in his attempt to write the most idiotic thing involving ASOIAF.

I didn't try to write something idiotic, I just tried to write something fun, and let no barrier of plausibility stand in my way :shepface:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So who would McKenzie Westmore play?

Strong Belwas, because that's how GoT's casting directors cast brown people.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It is horribly telling that not once did you mention Tyrion.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've noticed that by the time you get to AFFC/ADWD that there are so many bad plot threads that your mind can only encompass so many at any given time. No matter how comprehensive your knowledge may be there will always be one plot thread you're just forgetting about entirely when thinking about it or discussing it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Fog Tripper posted:

It is horribly telling that not once did you mention Tyrion.

They should have loosed the lions.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We all know that when/if ASOIAF ends Tyrion will rule house Lannister with Penny as his lady wife and its supposed to come off as this grand ironic moment with two dwarves being the legacy of the bigot Tywin Lannister but really, is it worth it? Really George, at what cost?

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Disagree on Theon, Jon, Dany and Tyrion. Their plots clearly end at a resolution of the relevant character arcs.

Theon rebuilds himself from his destruction at the hands of Ramsay, accepts what he's done and what's been done to him, and ends up trying to do what's right even though it won't make up for his sins.

Jon fucks up ruling so catastrophically that his men turn on him and (attempt to, most likely successfully) kill him.

Dany realizes that trying to rule as a "mother" is a waste of time, that she's not good at it anyway, and that what she is good at is conquest. She ends the plot about to attempt to take over a khalasar.

Tyrion ends his arc having processed his actions, his role in the world as a dwarf, a known regicide, and a Lannister, and resolves to take back his birthright (because not being a Lannister sucks. He's still not a good person after ADWD).

No, there isn't a final resolution of any overarching plot thread but even if a lot of them are poo poo they do generally resolve themselves.

I agree completely. Someone had a really good post like 30 pages ago about ADWD being about "identity", and this ties in with that. The book didn't really progress the overall plot as much as hoped for, but it did explore and develop the identities of the characters very well (for better or worse). The problem was Tyrion, Dany, and Jon could have been developed just as effectively in about half the number of chapters, and this is made even more apparent since Theon's chapters are among the most powerful of the series.

Kylaer posted:

My opinion is that the worst part of the book by far is Bran learning to fly... So, his flight, the completion of all his dreams and prophesies, turns out to be nothing special. In a book full of let-downs, that is the greatest.

I still hold fast to "but you will fly" meaning he is going to warg into and/or ride a Dragon. Probably the green one.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

McKenzie Westmore was sitting at her kitchen table, about to start cutting into her forearms with a rusty bread knife, when her cell phone started buzzing on a cabinet behind her. Startled and disoriented, she stared at it for a while. Was this real or was she just imagining things again? Was someone really calling her? She let the bread knife fall to the floor, missing her dear cat which was sleeping at her feet by a hair's breadth, and stood up from her chair.

As if looking down at herself from the ceiling, she witnessed her scarred, pale and veiny hand slowly moving towards the phone, picking it up, pressing a button and moving it towards her ear. "H-- Hello?" Her voice trembled like the nubile body of a young maiden, on the cusp of losing her maidenhead to a dashing Prince.

"Hi there!" a chipper voice answered on the other side of the line. "Is this McKenzie?" The confident voice took no time to wait for an answer and continued, because life is short and time is money and who even has the time to wait for things on the phone. "I would like to inform you on behalf of the Game of Thrones casting department that you have been selected for the role of Strong Belwas, warrior eunuch. Congratulations!" McKenzie felt as if she had just been lifted into the Heavens by a very Angel. "It can't be. You're kidding," she stuttered. The voice on the other side wasn't listening, because life is short and time is money and who even has the time to listen to things on the phone. She told McKenzie the time and date of her first shoot and some other directions and instructions and summarily hung up, because life is short and time is money and who even has the time to say goodbye on the phone.

McKenzie put down the phone and stumbled towards the front door of her disheveled and derelict apartment. She opened it slowly and looked outside, the rays of the Sun hitting her face for the first time in seven months, warming her and taking her in its embrace like a friend she had not seen or heard from in years. She felt alive again. She was not dead yet. Her entire life was about to start anew and afresh. She was going to be a star on a hit HBO program, a critically acclaimed period piece, she vaguely recalled, about semen and the human anus, or something thereabouts. She couldn't entirely remember, but it did not matter. Nothing mattered, and yet everything mattered. It all mattered so much. She was just overwhelmed by how much it mattered. How much all things mattered. Things like life, and death, and the Universe, and Art and creative endeavors in general, and the human spirit, and the will to survive, and rebirth and forgiveness, and HBO television programs. She had forgotten. But now, now she remembered.

Fin.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

:catstare:

It's beautiful.

Quick, someone tweet that to her. https://twitter.com/mckenziewestmor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Lena Headey was lying face-down on the floor of her apartment. She had just achieved sentience and was unsure what to do with herself. Her life and very being felt different, and yet everything felt shockingly the same. She decided against getting up, and kept lying on the floor. It was uncomfortable, but then again, wasn't that just what life was in general? Uncomfortable. The word felt right, it felt like home. It took her in its warm embrace and comforted her. To Lena Headey, it was its own antonym.

Back on the Game of Thrones set, in an unspecified Eastern European country, where the scenery was beautiful, the filming cheap, and the local villagers quaint but friendly, her co-stars where just emerging from their sleeping pods. These oozing, veiny cocoons were made from ostrich flesh and filled with a mysterious liquid that kept them looking young and fresh and healthy and radiant and sprightly, at a cost which would only reveal itself much later, when the show would be long-canceled, and they themselves long-forgotten by television viewers and general mankind alike.

Kit Harrington yawned and wished his fellow just-awakened thespians, all of whom he consided dear friends and sometimes even lovers, a diddly-duddly good morning. After a couple of minutes of stretching, he noticed Lena was missing. "Has anyone seen Lena?" he asked, but nobody had. They became worried. They started fretting. They went running around the camp, their arms flailing and their faces quivering with fear. One of their own had vanished. There was something wrong in the world, a glitch in the system, a hole in reality. They would not, could not, calm down again until she was back in their midst and everything was right again.

HBO then decided it wasn't worth the trouble, shut down production and set the entire camp, with all the cast and crew, equipment and animals in it, ablaze. The fire raged for hours and devoured any and all things in its reach. Everything perished and nothing survived.

The next morning, the Sun came up behind the mountains and bathed the beautiful landscape in its nurturing rays. It was a new day, a new world. God smiled down from the Heavens and felt proud of His creation for the first time in aeons. Lena Headey was never seen or heard from again, and is presumed to be still lying on her kitchen floor, uncomfortable but comfortable at he same time, because that is what life is, and what it has always been and what it always will be.

Fin.