Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

HondaCivet posted:

Sorry if anyone addressed this in the wiki but it seems to be down right now ... I watched part of the series years ago and didn't finish it for whatever reason. I think I want to give it another shot but now there are a bunch of movies and poo poo and I'm not sure where to start. Should I still start with the original series or are the movies the definitive version of the story now?

They're all still viable.

The latest "rebuild" movies started out as mostly a re-telling but have gone completely off the rails by now (the third movie)

The other movies replace the last episodes of the show

The show is still the show

If you don't want to invest a lot of time just go to the rebuild movies and if you're still interested watch the series, followed by the "End of Evangelion" movie. I still think EOE is the best thing out of all this and it's worth getting through the series to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Do not watch the rebuild movies before the show

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A friend of mine is watching the series for the first time...he's through ep 19 (didn't know much about it going in other than that it was a mecha show etc). He's very much pro-Shinji right now, but he wants to know how the "Shinji-Gendo-Rei love triangle" is going to resolve itself.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Patter Song posted:

A friend of mine is watching the series for the first time...he's through ep 19 (didn't know much about it going in other than that it was a mecha show etc). He's very much pro-Shinji right now, but he wants to know how the "Shinji-Gendo-Rei love triangle" is going to resolve itself.

... Mom?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Patter Song posted:

It would not be inaccurate to say that Rei chooses Shinji over Gendo.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Do not watch the rebuild movies before the show

Ignore this guy. Be our guinea pig and tell us how the show looks after you watch the Rebuild :getin:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

I said Come In! already gave his reverse order trip report, no need to use this guy.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I said Come In! already gave his reverse order trip report, no need to use this guy.

They did? What was the verdict?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

They did? What was the verdict?

Preferred the films. We could get someone else to do this, though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Watch the director's cut of the series, then End of Evangelion, then the Rebuild movies.

This is however correct, except that there's only director's cuts of episodes 21-24. You can watch Death (retells episodes 1-24, watch it before The End of Evangelion) which is an interesting recap film.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Death is actually really well done, as far as recaps go. Great use of Pachelbel’s Kanon , a few nice new scenes to bridge the transitions, and just good editing of the material all around.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Life is too short to waste watching recaps.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Pretty much. My understanding of Death is that most of the unique material it added was put into the Director's Cut anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

If you're not sure about the series, watch Death. If you like it but want more detail, watch the full show. Either way, proceed to End of Evangelion and then into the Rebuilds.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Phobophilia posted:

Evangelion was about some depressed teenager growing and learning to take control of his life despite terrors and setbacks, for about 20 episodes, or for 90% of the 2nd rebuild, then it becomes a nihilistic postmodern orgy of excess.

And Rebuild is a self-reflexive postmodern orgy of excess which discards the nihilism for a death urge towards and simulation of the self that existed.

This poo poo would blow Eco's mind.

Death has a vaguely neat meta-narrative and the best description of Asuka ever, but it's probably the "least" essential. It's pretty for the time, tho.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

The best part of D&R are the credits, strangely enough. Death ends with Kanon as the sun slowly sets, and Rebirth has the kicking rad 'Soul Refrain', it leaves you with a 'poo poo jsut got real' feeling that you don't get when you watch it in EoE. I'd say it's worth watching, it's chill and hits all the important things you need to know/remember heading into EoE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5W2zbNU_Do

Zahki fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 22, 2013

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Watch the director's cut of the series, then End of Evangelion, then the Rebuild movies.

The best way I find is to watch the original series up until the first directors cut episodes and then watch those. After that, watch episodes 25-26, then End of Evangelion and finally the re-builds.

The original episodes of 25-26 are worth watching, it contains some interesting mind-fuckery and subtext that might help explain certain parts of EOE.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

If you're not sure about the series, watch Death.

Death makes no sense without having seen the series.

And it's not just "episode one in two minutes, episode two in two minutes, etc." the way parts of 1.11 were, it's nonlinear and flits about from topic to topic interestingly. But yes it's very inessential, I only picked it up because it was £1 at a car boot sale and had a nonsensical Manga Force blurb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The original episodes of 25-26 are worth watching, it contains some interesting mind-fuckery and subtext that might help explain certain parts of EOE.

The director's cut only changes episodes 21-24.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Welp, I just re-watched End of Evangelion for the first time since high school. I have a few questions and observations, and since there are people poking their heads in that haven't seen anything, I suppose I need to spoil them.

- When Misato and Shinji are driving past the failed Unit 00s, she had a line that translated as "Even Adam came from Lilith". Was that a mistake in the version I got? I thought from the discussion here that Adam and Lilith were both of the same life-generating entity...type...thing.

- It looked like SEELE's plan was to get the MP Evas to overpower Unit 01, dissolve Shinji, and then use their combined anti-AT field to tangify humanity. Meanwhile, Gendo and Rei do their merging thing and generate a man-made god. When GNR appears, SEELE seems pretty okay with her. Was the Adam/Lilith stuff that Gendo did part of their plan? Or did only the Tree of Life stuff with Unit 01 matter to them?

- Not a question, but the scene with young Shinji in the sandbox with the two not-quite-kids, and then building the pyramid alone, was like one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen. Everything about that scene, the sounds, the film grain, the cuts, the background, EVERYTHING felt wrong.

- I don't fully understand what happened at the very end with regards to humanity. I know everyone's souls got stripped and were swirling around the Black Moon and...into GNR? But then Shinji calls everything off, GNR starts falling apart, and the little red soul dots...explode across the planet? I'm not sure how literally I should be taking the imagery. My friend said that everyone except Shinji and Asuka end up in Unit 01, floating through space as one big happy merged consciousness. I didn't get that, but it's a neat idea...because I could see Unit 01 being a new entity on the level of Lilith, off to start the whole thing again someday.

Overall, I enjoyed it and agree with the one poster who said it ends on a positive note. I still don't get a lot of they symbolism, particularly with whatever the MP Evas and the Lance/Lances were doing during Instrumentality, but I don't feel like I missed anything important there. I've been re-watching the series so I could watch the Rebuild movies for the first time, so I'm pretty excited about that now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

- I don't fully understand what happened at the very end with regards to humanity. I know everyone's souls got stripped and were swirling around the Black Moon and...into GNR? But then Shinji calls everything off, GNR starts falling apart, and the little red soul dots...explode across the planet? I'm not sure how literally I should be taking the imagery. My friend said that everyone except Shinji and Asuka end up in Unit 01, floating through space as one big happy merged consciousness. I didn't get that, but it's a neat idea...because I could see Unit 01 being a new entity on the level of Lilith, off to start the whole thing again someday.

This is one of the few points that has a fairly concrete answer: your friend is wrong. EoE explicitly says that any soul that wishes to return to its mortal body will be able to. Instrumentality was a horrifying experience for at least half the people that got tanged, and as you saw when GNR dies the souls spill back out across the Earth. The only person who stays behind in Unit-01 for sure is Yui, and the way she talks about it makes it sound an awful lot like she's alone.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
That reminds me of another question I had: There's three swings in EoE. One is swinging left to right in the kid Shinji building a pyramid scene; one is swinging towards the viewer right after the "rejection hell" scene, right before Asuka's "I'd rather die than do it with you!"; and one is shown from underneath during the real world segment. What do these represent besides me being spergy about animes?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've never payed close enough attention to the swings and how they're swinging or whatever, but I know what you're talking about.

One way you could interpret them could be that it represents Shinji's emotional state swinging back and forth throughout the series or the film due to the crazy poo poo that happens to him.

It could also be related to child-like desires. Little kids like to play on swings, moreso than 16 year olds (I think Shinji's about 16 in EoE, or maybe like 15 but that's beside the point).

On the same line of childishness, it could represent how he wants someone to "push" him on the swing, he would like someone to control his life, or give him guidance, or something. But he's never actually on the swing, and we never see anyone actually pushing the swing.

You could think about it in a lot of ways, I suppose.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is one of the few points that has a fairly concrete answer: your friend is wrong. EoE explicitly says that any soul that wishes to return to its mortal body will be able to. Instrumentality was a horrifying experience for at least half the people that got tanged, and as you saw when GNR dies the souls spill back out across the Earth. The only person who stays behind in Unit-01 for sure is Yui, and the way she talks about it makes it sound an awful lot like she's alone.

To add to this: it seems like SEELE also intended to hitch a ride in Unit01, but for the reason of the Godly state it would become when Instrumentality was triggered. Whether they did end up using it as an Ark and floating through space in it with Yui doesn't get touched upon.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Cross-posted from the weird fanart thread.

fgwsss
Oct 7, 2004
Masturbation is good, but it is not the best, 'cause nothing beats the touch of your clitoris.
Quick question, at the end of Death, what is that headless Angel?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think it's supposed to be a representation of Kaworu's true Angelic form.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks for the help guys. I got ahold of NGE and started watching it again. I first watched it up to episode 10 or so several years ago. I remember not really getting into it for some reason. I think it's because I found Shinji really annoying but now that I know he's supposed to be depressed, he makes a lot more sense. I'm not sure how I missed the depression angle before except that I didn't know as much about mental health back then I suppose.

The fan service doesn't get too much worse does it? I just finished episode 7.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It... Does involve quite a bit of nudity during some of the trippier dream sequences later on, but... Well, one gets the impression at least a good portion of it was supposed to come off as creepily clinical in how it's presented. So... Yeah. :v:

fgwsss
Oct 7, 2004
Masturbation is good, but it is not the best, 'cause nothing beats the touch of your clitoris.

Regalingualius posted:

I think it's supposed to be a representation of Kaworu's true Angelic form.

I kind of thought this too, but saw no confirmation anywhere.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The director's cut only changes episodes 21-24.

I know, I was saying that he should watch them after the directors cut anyway.

Zombie Samurai posted:

- Not a question, but the scene with young Shinji in the sandbox with the two not-quite-kids, and then building the pyramid alone, was like one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen. Everything about that scene, the sounds, the film grain, the cuts, the background, EVERYTHING felt wrong.

It iss meant to represent Shinji's plight. He behaves a certain way and it makes him feel good and accepted, but when this behavior does not work any longer to get him these things he is a lone in the dark building the sand castle he does not know any other way to do things and just keeps going using the same behaviors and feeling miserable Where he is crying and rebuilding the sandcastle.

Basically the subtext of EoE was a much shortened and simpler version of episodes 25-26. Looking back I honesty do not see how anyone would get anything that happened in the latter half of EoE if they had not watched the original series.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 23, 2013

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I know, I was saying that he should watch them after the directors cut anyway.

It iss meant to represent Shinji's plight. He behaves a certain way and it makes him feel good and accepted, but when this behavior does not work any longer to get him these things he is a lone in the dark building the sand castle he does not know any other way to do things and just keeps going using the same behaviors and feeling miserable Where he is crying and rebuilding the sandcastle.

Basically the subtext of EoE was a much shortened and simpler version of episodes 25-26. Looking back I honesty do not see how anyone would get anything that happened in the latter half of EoE if they had not watched the original series.

It's also a short summation of the series/movie as a whole: He spends all his time and effort building up the pyramid/supporting NERV (the pyramid looks an awful lot like NERV HQ), destroys it all in a fit of pique, then regrets it and begins rebuilding again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are we still posting videos? No?

TOO BAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQp_nz9EdhQ

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ok. Since we're back to videos, take this masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLgv9lJ9jE

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That's amazing (she said, typing on a Mac). It's better than Gendo's Paradise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9DKGhUiaY

fgwsss posted:

Quick question, at the end of Death, what is that headless Angel?

Looks like a Harpy to me.

Szmitten posted:

There are different impacts achieved with different combinations with different outcomes that can be completed or aborted at various stages.

Second Impact = unspecified human DNA + Adam's body + Adam's soul

I owe you an apology here - I've just rewatched EoE and Maya does say 3I "is the same as 2I", or something very close to that. I'm not convinced they're similar events, she could just have been talking about the coming destruction, but it's a bit muddy there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also, I didn't notice this until I listened to the commentary of EoE, but the background during the little kid shinji playing in the sand scene is very clearly reminiscent of looking up at a woman giving birth or something. You might also say that the sun going down is Yui disappearing after a while, and then the lamp post could be Misato. The two littler lights could be Rei and Asuka?

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Zombie Samurai posted:

- When Misato and Shinji are driving past the failed Unit 00s, she had a line that translated as "Even Adam came from Lilith". Was that a mistake in the version I got? I thought from the discussion here that Adam and Lilith were both of the same life-generating entity...type...thing.

Yeah, it is a pretty (in)famous translation goof-up. The correct translation would be something along the lines of "Adam is an equal to Lilith".

Utritum fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 23, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also, I didn't notice this until I listened to the commentary of EoE, but the background during the little kid shinji playing in the sand scene is very clearly reminiscent of looking up at a woman giving birth or something. You might also say that the sun going down is Yui disappearing after a while, and then the lamp post could be Misato. The two littler lights could be Rei and Asuka?

Not even reminiscent, it always seemed pretty explicit:

And going back into the swing talk, would make the swing shown be along the lines of development.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm too lazy to spoiler tag this stuff so :siren: spoilers :siren: for whoever you are, guy who hasn't seen EOE.

House Louse posted:

I owe you an apology here - I've just rewatched EoE and Maya does say 3I "is the same as 2I", or something very close to that. I'm not convinced they're similar events, she could just have been talking about the coming destruction, but it's a bit muddy there.

I'm pretty sure what Maya means when she says "it's the same as second impact" is that the data that the computers and sensors are collecting is the same. Same kind of radiation or whatever the gently caress they observe and analyze in this show. You get a short show of two identical scrolling screens of text juxtaposed against each other, one titled second impact and one titled third impact or something like that.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Cross-posted from the weird fanart thread.

4koma Translation:

EVA-01: *SIGH*

Panel 1:
Misato: You won't have to do anything ever again, Shinji.

Panel 2:
Sakura: Whatever you do, don't pilot Eva!

Panel 3:
Shinji: Pilot Eva? But Dad...No, it's nothing.

Panel 4:
Shinji: Good Grief...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I can't believe they missed the opportunity to have him trying to kick the football, only for Lucy to sudden- FOURTH IMPACT