Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sir Kodiak posted:

An object in superposition can exhibit behavior different from what would be observed if the object was in any one quantum state. It is, from the perspective of the observer, a distinct way for another thing to be.

So... how long has it been since the last strip?

He had started updating every Monday. Except this was Labor day weekend, so it went up early. Not a huge shocker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
:siren: Newstrip! :siren:

Soo.. V to the rescue finally? I think Belkar will need a lot of 20s to get out of this one alive.

Message fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 3, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tarquin thinks Roy is Elan's doomed mentor. (Elan's mentor was, in actuality, Julio Scoundrel, who skipped out of the story because he knew that being a hero's mentor would doom him otherwise.)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Now would be a good time for V to turn up and forcecage Roy.

Willie McCoy
Oct 22, 2005
looking for the king of 42nd St...
That's what I was thinking too, but now I'm trying to figure out what V could do in this situation. His barred schools contain all the nice escape spells, and even with V I don't see the order holding off an army of dino-riders and most of an epic level adventuring party.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

V wakes up and yells "GO THROUGH THE GODDAMN RIFT ALREADY"

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Whoever called "Tarquin doesn't realize this isn't Elan's comic" wins the pool.

Guess we're going through the rift after all.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
This sounds silly but Belkar's line gets a lot funnier when you make sure to put the correct emphasis on "your".

"Can't we go back to dealing with YOUR daddy issues?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Nah, look at Durkon. He's about to bust out something unholy and medieval.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Oh my god, I actually had a loud guffaw come out of me when I scrolled down to Kill the ones in the crater.

That was probably my favorite "Oh poo poo!" moment in a while.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Oh man, I saw a Jet Li movie that ended like this...

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Nipponophile posted:

Oh man, I saw a Jet Li movie that ended like this...

It didn't end well for Jet Li.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Potooweet posted:

Guess we're going through the rift after all.

It's the only way. They'll never catch up to Xykon now. The only way to beat him to the last gate will be by cutting through Snarlworld.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hmm, it's pretty unlikely any of those arrows or swords are going to be able to hurt the devil or Durkon, as both have great AC and damage resistance. Roy might be able to hold out until V shows up or Elan and/or Haley come up with something clever.

Belkar though...Belkar might just be hosed here. Of course "Belkie" was perceptive enough to see the "hide in the casket" escape, and he does have the Ring of Jumping. hurling himself through the portal may well be his out here.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I agree that Durkon and the Devil are most likely beyond the ability of Tarquin's rank-and-file to inflict damage upon, but there are plenty of big dinosaurs stomping around, to say nothing of Tarquin and his party. On that note, I would imagine the catgirl is present and simply hasn't revealed herself yet, since she was with the robed man in the palace, though it's honestly not like they really need her help to win this fight. Belkar is in dire straights, since he's one or two natural twenties away from the graveyard and there are a lot of mooks. Vaarsuvius doesn't have any spells that can save them; even a Forcecage would just have Tarquin busting out the marshmallows for a day or so. With Tarquin's ring of True Seeing and at least one full caster on hand it's doubtful that they'd even be able to get out themselves with Invisibility.

I guess we're going to find out what's on the other side of the rift rather soon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ugh. This is the second time that Rich has used this exact scene.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

This is a pretty good moment for Rich to show noon-D&D aficionados how OP a wizard can be. Kill half the soldiers, and then have the order run away.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

Foreshadowing. He's an evil emperor, and he's got an army, what else is he going to do with it? Synchronised dance-off?

I think it's a fantastic twist, it was basically Chekhov's dino-horde the moment it arrived.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are you referring to the separate entries for "Dead" and "Alive"? Because those are both contextually conditional upon turning him over in those conditions, which are mutually exclusive. If you kill him before transferring custody, you're turning him over dead. If you kill him after transferring custody, you're not turning him over dead, you're just killing a prisoner.

That would be neither dead nor alive, therefore qualifying you for nothing ;)

You are really, really bad at thinking like a PC.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I think this is actually saying a lot more about Tarquin than Rich. Tarquin knows how to do exactly two things. Control others or kill them, and his comment "Careful. You're starting to sound like Nale." shows he really wouldn't care that much to kill Elan if he doesn't allow himself to be controlled. I think thats how Elan could truly defeat Tarquin, keep him alive but remove his power thus removing the only two things his character ever knew how to do.

Also I suspect he isn't trying to kill Roy at all. It's cliche that heros escape the faceless army they get killed by villains personally. I can see him spinning it like that when Roy gets out of it alive.

Theler fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 3, 2013

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I was bored and just had my phone so I checked the GITP forum for this strip. Someone timed themselves saying all the lines from when the Fiends possessed V until the current strip and was complaining that it was more than 20 minutes.

How is someone spergy enough to do that but not spergy enough to know talking is a free action? :psyduck:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Theler posted:

I think this is actually saying a lot more about Tarquin than Rich. Tarquin knows how to do exactly two things. Control others or kill them, and his comment "Careful. You're starting to sound like Nale." shows he really wouldn't care that much to kill Elan if he doesn't allow himself to be controlled. I think thats how Elan could truly defeat Tarquin, keep him alive but remove his power thus removing the only two things his character ever knew how to do.

Also I suspect he isn't trying to kill Roy at all. It's cliche that heros escape the faceless army they get killed by villains personally. I can see him spinning it like that when Roy gets out of it alive.

As Bongo Bill mentioned, though, Tarquin thinks Elan's the hero and Roy's more like the doomed mentor. He's wrong, in that Julio's the actual mentor and has quite wisely stayed away from Elan, but it helps play into Tarquin's big weakness that although he understands how stories work he doesn't realize how this story is going.

Actually, it might be quite the surprise if Tarquin was right and Roy dies here alongside Belkar, thus forcing Elan to become the leader (or, more likely, Haley). Durkon has to go to the North to finish his prophecy of coming home dead, and Belkar's due to die, but there's actually no guarantee that Roy will survive. I guess he probably will though, since he's been presented as the main hero for most of the story and has plenty of unfinished narrative business - plus, if Tarquin did kill him, that'd make Tarquin right about Elan being the actual hero of the story and people might be a bit tired of Tarquin if he keeps warping the story to be about himself.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Okay. Now it's time to jump through the rift.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Tarquin thinks Roy is Elan's doomed mentor. (Elan's mentor was, in actuality, Julio Scoundrel, who skipped out of the story because he knew that being a hero's mentor would doom him otherwise.)

Maybe he'll swoop down now and rescue them because he just couldn't resist the dramatic urge. Then he'll die in an heroic sacrifice. (Just kidding this is probably V's time to shine)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Meticulous timekeeping aside those 20 minutes really must be up soon, if only because V needs to be around to flee with the rest of the gang.

Picture them floating on the endless ocean on the other side and V goes "look at the bright side, I've known about this for months, so I prepared a boat summoning spell."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

More to the point, the fiends pretty much need the Order alive and more or less intact to counter Xykon. Even if the 20 minutes aren't up yet, they'd be well advised to flip the switch and release V now so she can preserve the rest of the team.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Tarquin is due for a hard fall really soon. The only narrative way he could get away with everything he is doing would be if he was replacing Xykon as the main villain of the story, which I'm sure he thinks he's doing, but it's going to come back to bite him.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

While we're shooting in the dark over what's next, isn't Sabine due to show up soon? I doubt she'd be able to do anything on her own, but her and V at the same time could possibly cause enough distractions to let the Order get away scot-free (or at least without having to jump into the rift).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pseudoscorpion posted:

While we're shooting in the dark over what's next, isn't Sabine due to show up soon? I doubt she'd be able to do anything on her own, but her and V at the same time could possibly cause enough distractions to let the Order get away scot-free (or at least without having to jump into the rift).

Nah, she's banished for a full 24 hours. It's been a few hours since the Holy Word, but not a full day yet. She's going to miss the whole thing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

She's still got most of a day to go because of Durkon's banishment on her, right?

E:f,b

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

A.o.D. posted:

You are really, really bad at thinking like a PC.

Or just really good at thinking like a DM.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

You know, I was thinking about Elan's secret plan to defeat Tarquin that requires's Durkon's help. Does a helm of opposite alignment need cleric spells to craft? Maybe Elan's thinking of getting Tarquin to undo all of his own machinations himself?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Does such a helm change the person's mindset to match that of the alignment, or can they still think/act the same as usual, they just don't pop up on Detect Evil/Good?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

Does such a helm change the person's mindset to match that of the alignment, or can they still think/act the same as usual, they just don't pop up on Detect Evil/Good?

From the SRD:

Alteration in alignment is mental as well as moral, and the individual changed by the magic thoroughly enjoys his new outlook.

the affected individual does not make any attempt to return to the former alignment. (In fact, he views the prospect with horror and avoids it in any way possible.)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love that Belkar is just annoyed by this development.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Red Metal posted:

From the SRD:

Alteration in alignment is mental as well as moral, and the individual changed by the magic thoroughly enjoys his new outlook.

the affected individual does not make any attempt to return to the former alignment. (In fact, he views the prospect with horror and avoids it in any way possible.)

Ahh, I getcha. Still, such a plan seems rather risky, considering Tarquin has four friends that'd immediately know something's up AND it relies on him never attempting to take it off for even the most mundane reasons.

E: Oh, just noticed the part about the change requiring a Wish to undo. :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We had a friend in a campaign that got cursed with a ring of contrariness, which made him reject any argument or decision we made and want to do the opposite. No one noticed.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh hey I wasn't excepting a comic on my birthday :)

V is going to show up next comic. They just showed her in hell last comic. Showing a gun in comic 1, then an problem in comic 2, and then using said gun to solve the problem in comic 3. That is basic story telling right there.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mylan posted:

Does a helm of opposite alignment need cleric spells to craft? Maybe Elan's thinking of getting Tarquin to undo all of his own machinations himself?

At this point, Durkula's a more viable target for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dr Pepper posted:

I love that Belkar is just annoyed by this development.

Belkar's the PC-iest of the PCs, I think. Which is to say, he views the entire thing as a game, and everyone else just thinks he's a sociopath because he doesn't have any empathy for any NPCs or any of the "characters" the other "PCs" are playing. To that end, I wouldn't be surprised if he views even his own death as a probably-temporary-inconvenience.

Additionally, even Roy's sat and talked about how weird it would be to not flat out know that there's an afterlife. Going through your life with the literal knowledge that there's life after death would probably affect how you approach your inevitable death.