Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I doubt Rich even has it specified in his mind, to be honest.
I think Rich has at one point said that he knows what the MitD is and it will be revealed at some point, although I can't remember where he said this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

I think Rich has at one point said that he knows what the MitD is and it will be revealed at some point, although I can't remember where he said this.

I meant V's gender.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Haven't D&D Detectives (D&D&Ds?) figured out exactly what the MitD is already? I remember reading a treatise on it one time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OotS has been around for almost ten years, someone's bound to have guessed it by now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

my dad posted:

I think Rich mentioned that V had a gender originally, but after a few strips he figured that having them be ambiguous would be funnier.

In one of the early strips, Roy refers to V as "V-man". Rich has mentioned that it was because most readers thought V was female and he wanted a more evenly split opinion. So it's been ambiguous since that strip at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

My Lovely Horse posted:

OotS has been around for almost ten years, someone's bound to have guessed it by now.
IIRC, the premier theory at this point is a certain psionic monster from Spelljammer that I can't remember the name of. Given the leeway for story over rules that Rich usually has, it fits remarkably well.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

my dad posted:

I think Rich mentioned that V had a gender originally, but after a few strips he figured that having them be ambiguous would be funnier.

Yes.

quote:

I thought I had included female characters. Not in the initial group of six—I totally cop to having Smurfetted that one, even if V reads as female to you—but in the time since.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15058416&postcount=477

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Leper Colon V posted:

IIRC, the premier theory at this point is a certain psionic monster from Spelljammer that I can't remember the name of. Given the leeway for story over rules that Rich usually has, it fits remarkably well.

I thought the general idea at this point was Tarrasque.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ursine Asylum posted:

I thought the general idea at this point was Tarrasque.

That was disproved when it teleported V and O-Chul out of Xykon's tower. Someone itt suggested it might be a Nightmare Beast, which at least doesn't conflict with anything we've seen it do so far.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Preeeeetty sure it was ruled out right from the beginning.

Tarrasque description posted:

The tarrasque is 70 feet long and 50 feet tall, and it weighs about 130 tons.

The tarrasque cannot speak.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

DoctorTristan posted:

That was disproved when it teleported V and O-Chul out of Xykon's tower. Someone itt suggested it might be a Nightmare Beast, which at least doesn't conflict with anything we've seen it do so far.

I suggested nightmare beast only because it is boss and dark sun is awesome. Your guess is as good as mine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't remember if that was an official statement by Rich, but it also has to be something that's easily recognizable for readers who aren't into D&D or the reveal will fall entirely flat for them. Not even "into D&D" the way the savants on his forum are into D&D, but just regular I-know-what-a-tarrasque-is "into D&D". And what's more it would also have to be easily recognizable as a stick figure. There's really not a lot it can still turn out to be that strikes a balance in reactions between "oh so it really is an X just as we said three years ago" and "I don't get it, someone explain?".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Moddington posted:

Yeah, and as much as I like that theory, non-goblins see mitd as unnaturally hideous, where a tarrasque is just fearsome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe the monster in the dark is realistically drawn which is why he looks hideous to stick denizens.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't remember if that was an official statement by Rich, but it also has to be something that's easily recognizable for readers who aren't into D&D or the reveal will fall entirely flat for them. Not even "into D&D" the way the savants on his forum are into D&D, but just regular I-know-what-a-tarrasque-is "into D&D". And what's more it would also have to be easily recognizable as a stick figure. There's really not a lot it can still turn out to be that strikes a balance in reactions between "oh so it really is an X just as we said three years ago" and "I don't get it, someone explain?".

My personal hunch is it will be a godzila, for the reasons you mentioned

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Fried Chicken posted:

My personal hunch is it will be a godzila, for the reasons you mentioned

A godzilla from through the Snarl to Earth?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Moddington posted:

True, but from what was known at the time he's supposed to be a child and additionally (SOD) when he was found the safari guys noted that finding a talking specimen was rare, or something like that.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 4, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The tarrasque also has no magical powers whatsoever, and I vaguely remember that Rich has said that nothing he has written about the MitD has directly contradicted the actual monster he has in mind.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone mentioned that Spelljammer monster: google gave me someone posting this:

quote:

It's a Zodar.

Zodar are six foot tall smooth black suits of armor with two eye slits as their only distinguishing feature. The interior of the armor is all muscle. They weigh five hundred pounds, can lift and throw masts of ships like javelins due to an incredibly high strength score, and do not speak (as established in Start of Darkness, this is a unique feature to the MiTD as opposed to the rest of his race). They're immune to all environmental effects and can only be harmed by bludgeoning damage, and they NEVER have less than 16 HD, though they can have more. Three times in their life they can cause any spell to manifest as though they cast it. Once in their life, they can cause a limited Wish effect to occur - like, say, I don't know, "Escape!", maybe?

The only feature that does not match is their naturally high int and wis score, which can be explained by his status as a youngling in an assumably incredibly long-lived race (note that the MiTD can read and play complex games as well as discern magical rituals that a theurge cannot - it's highly distractible and incredibly gullible and lazy, not dumb). Personality differences (Zodar are stoic and mysterious) are related to the fact that it has no idea what race it is and has no experience in being a Zodar - it only knew its dad and its dad was kind of an odd duck. Everything fits, even things like being able to hold umbrellas and being described as terrifying, yet strangely beautiful.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Zodar actually exists in 3.5 as well (in the Fiend Folio). The main difference is that it can use it's Wish once per year, it can double it's Strength three times per day, and it can speak freely, it just usually chooses not to. It's a pretty sound guess.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not self-explanatory enough if you ask me. Take the umbrella away to reveal a black suit of armor and your average reader will say "oh wow it's a knight who probably can do magic I guess" and there will be a thread titled "Who's the mysterious knight?" (OP's guess: Miko). Doesn't seem to mesh very well with the SOD backstory either. You're a hunter in the jungle who just caught a suit of armor and it's not a passing knight, your first thought isn't going to be "wow what's one of those doing here, let's sell it to the circus."

The only way I can see something obscure like that work out is if the Monster's race, Zodar or other, gets introduced in one of the following books at non-trivial length. I can see that happening, actually. Rather than a sudden reveal of the monster itself you'd have something like the Order meeting those strange creatures, getting to know them through an adventure or two, and then a point where they reveal vast supernatural powers and/or mention that some years ago they lost a youngling, bam, cut to the Monster under its umbrella for the last panel.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

The tarrasque also has no magical powers whatsoever, and I vaguely remember that Rich has said that nothing he has written about the MitD has directly contradicted the actual monster he has in mind.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0661.html

He's got... something magical that he can do.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Whatever the reveal will be, it will feel like a letdown. At this point, the buildup is simply to huge for a truly satisfying reveal

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The MITD is a sentient umbrella

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

terminal mehmet posted:

I've spent a long time thinking that was actually a co-incidence and actually some unseen player got V and O-Chul out, but nothing's been hinted at on that front so I think it's safe to say it was the MitD.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The problem is that I'm not sure what could work at this point. I've been playing D&D (and Pathfinder) for ages and I've never run into either a Nightmare Beast or a Zodar. So for most D&D fans the reaction to either would be "a what?" However the most obvious answer, a baby Tarrasque, doesn't seem to work because there's nothing in the beastie's profile that accounts for "ESCAPE!"

So either you've got something too obscure so the reveal doesn't work or you have a version of a classic monster that does things that monster shouldn't be able to and the reveal doesn't work. Either way, he's pretty much painted himself into a corner here.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 4, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MikeJF posted:

Someone mentioned that Spelljammer monster: google gave me someone posting this:

Doesn't really fit with the whole "Oh god, it's hideous! *vomits*," "You are one ugly sumbitch, aren't you?" bits in SoD, either.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I always thought he was some kind of Obyrith type thing, but that was really only based on the Form of Madness ability and the fact that I just kinda want it to be a Lovecraftian inspired critter.

Also because the pre-existing things from the Abyss entertain me.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
You know, Kraagor's gate was populated with all sorts of horrible monsters. Could be that some of MitD's own kind are there (and conveniently in shadow the entire time we see them). It going off to chill with its folks rather than hang around Xykon would be a satisfying enough end to its arc without having to actually have an anticlimax reveal of what it is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

terminal mehmet posted:

Yes, that's my point. It's not a tarrasque.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Kajeesus posted:

Doesn't really fit with the whole "Oh god, it's hideous! *vomits*," "You are one ugly sumbitch, aren't you?" bits in SoD, either.

Maybe he hasn't grown his suit of armour yet?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I thought we had decided that the MitD was a Gazebo.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I thought we had decided that the MitD was a Gazebo.

"poo poo, this beast has Hardness, run!"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I DO find gazebo's hideous.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

I DO find gazebo's hideous.

That WOULD explain why Miko attacked the darkness.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Them being able to talk is also really rare.

It's all adding up...

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

AND they're not exactly plentiful in a rainforest.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The MitD is the horror of introspection. It's why everyone was uncomfortable and vomited upon seeing it, and why Xykon who is clearly incapable of introspection has no reaction to it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New strip!
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0917.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Belkar being killed by low-level mooks would be karmic justice. I really don't want them to kill the wacky short dude with a cat.