Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
No, I seriously like my "gently caress you" knife. I'd say it even fits within the spirit of the rules; magical healing fucks up your body to the point where neither magic nor medicine are going to be much help in the future. Maybe your DM house-rules in something to let your target resist it, at which point L1 isn't going to be good enough, and you avoid the cheese of "incredibly inexpensive spell invariably wrecks their day." Maybe it's a different spell, and you reserve a healknife for torture. Still plenty useful.

And there are plenty of cases where I want to hurt someone and prevent them from getting better, but not just kill them. Intimidation is a legitimate business strategy, and nothing is going to make your corporate rivals feel vulnerable like getting hit and not being able to throw money at the problem to make it go away. Maybe I just need to keep them out of the office; there is a vote coming up, and if they're killed, the next guy just steps up and votes in lock-step. However, if he's absent, there can be no quarum, and the vote doesn't take place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Rockopolis posted:

Halfway through chargen.

Quick question, any opinions on having a rope dart weapon focus? (Or flying claws or flying guillotine)
Too cheesy? Reaches too far away from user's aura even though you're hanging on to the rope?

And can you enchant a Focus?

You can have a weapon focus whip or a weapon focus TrollTuff Heavy Gauge Fighin' Chain, so I don't see any reason why not. Basically, you'd have a reach 2 knife that instantly says to everyone that 1)I am a powerful adept that you need to shoot in the face or 2)I am a crazy person that has seen too many kung fu movies. Or, most likely, both.

As for enchanting Foci, I'd say no on account of it being crammed full of delicately balanced magic already. Basically, a focus is already enchanted on a much more fundamental level. I don't think there are any specific rules for it, though, so that's probably one of many things that comes down to GM fiat.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

MilkmanLuke posted:

As for enchanting Foci, I'd say no on account of it being crammed full of delicately balanced magic already. Basically, a focus is already enchanted on a much more fundamental level. I don't think there are any specific rules for it, though, so that's probably one of many things that comes down to GM fiat.

The rules for enchanting say you cannot enchant anything which already has "an aura." I think a focus might qualify, since it would contain an astral construct.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Okay, here's the more finished version, I had a different version planned, but I'm not really feeling great right now and can't write it down.

Okay, here's my character, cutting it real close. I'm going to add in the backstory in a second. Hope I didn't miss anything.

pre:
"Knives" Lau"
Elf

A washed up pirate seeking fame and fortune in the shadows.

A Attributes 24
B Mystic Adept 4 Magic 7 Spells
C Elf (3)
D Nuyen 50000
E Skills 18

BOD 4
AGI 7
REA 4
STR 4
WIL 5
LOG 5
INT 3
CHA 3
EDG 2
MAG 6

Qualities
Ambidextrous
Catlike (+2 Sneaking)
Mentor Spirit (Fire Bringer) (+2 Dice to Alchemy skill tests, +2 to Manipulation,
Cannot refuse a sincere request for help Cha+Will(3))
Natural Athlete (+2 Gymnastics&Running)
Bad Rep (appropriate to a pirate nicknamed Knives)
Distinctive Style (pirate, Chinese coin jewelry)
Incompetent (Firearms)
Spirit Bane (Water)

Contacts 9
Madam Wu; Triad Talismonger; (3C/3L)
Doc Park; Street Doc; (1C/2L)

Skills
Alchemy 4
Counterspelling 4
Throwing (knives) 6(8)
Sneaking 5
Gymnastics 5
Running 1
Etiquette 1

Knowledge Skills
Catonese N
Mandarin 5
Korean 4
English 3
Chinese History 1
Magic Theory 1
Triads 1

Spells
Knockout
Lightning Bolt
Heal
Improved Invisibility
Silence
Mana Barrier
Physical Barrier

Powers
Improved Reflexes 1
Improved Ability (Throwing)

Gear 50000 Nuyen
Squatter Lifestyle 1 500
Enchanting Focus 4 20000 (Knife Money)
Qi Focus 2 6000 (Combat Sense) (Lucky coins, worn in hair) 
Magical Lodge Materials 6 3000
Fake SIN 4 10000
Fake Magic License 4 800
Magic Kit 500
Lined Coat 900+2250
-Chemical Protection 2
-Fire Resistance 2
-Insulation 2
-Nonconductivity 3
Chameleon Suit 1700
Meta Link 100
Gas Mask 200
Gecko Gloves 200
Survival Kit 200
Medkit 6 1500
Medkit Supplies 100

Knives 6 150
Flashbang 6 600
HiEx Grenades 6 600
Thermal Smoke 6 360
Flash Pak 125
Reagents 20

1995 Nuyen leftover

26 Karma
-12 Focus
-4 Focus
-10 2 Power Points
"Does it really matter?" asked Knives, tossing another dart at the board. "I'm here, aren't I?"
"It's not nearly as bad as you've probably heard, and piracy was a good way for a poor girl from Huangpu to get ahead." the coins in her hair caught the light as she took a sip. "Rob from the rich, give some to the poor; it wasn't so bad. But running the shadows is probably going to pay a bit better. Piracy seems to be dying out; I'd like to say China's getting better...it's just getting more violent, ships are rolling with more security. I've seen some strange things out there, probably time for a change."
Another dart.
"Last ship we took had a mage running security; an actual mage, someone trained.". The next dart was much harder. "Didn't help him. But I think he must have cursed me, or had a friend, or there was something spooky about my share of the loot. So, time to find work on dry land."
"Yeah, I know the Triads are always looking for Awakened Talent, it's their thing. But I'd like to stay independent. The Triads...seem aimless, these days; China needs to change." another dart squeezed into a forest over the bullseye. "Besides, Madam Wu scares the hell out of me."

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 7, 2013

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

The rules for enchanting say you cannot enchant anything which already has "an aura." I think a focus might qualify, since it would contain an astral construct.

There you go. A focus is has a powerful aura linked to the owner. If it fell in enemy hands, a wizard could melt the owner's face from halfway across the planet because the focus aura is an active astral link.

Of course, there is an easy way to have an enchanted focus weapon. Just have a clip built into the weapon (pommel or something) to hold a disposable enchantment piece. You'd only get one effect at a time and have to touch the enchantment tchotchke to the target, but still good for utility.

*edit* I like the pirate character. Nice choice for water bane spirit bane. That's one that you might run into a little less often but, when you do, it's horrible timing in a situation where they can drag you to a watery grave.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 7, 2013

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
Is there a compendium of all the elite military-ish units in Shadowrun that belong to all the different corporations/countries? Here's the partial list I have come up from by perusing Google.

Renraku: Red Samurai
Ares: Firewatch
Souix: Wildcats
Salish: Rangers
Tir T: Ghosts
UCAS: Navy Seals
MCT: Zero Zone
Horizon: Dawkins Group
Aztechnology: Jaguars/Eagle Guard

Do the CAS/Amazonia/Japan/Carribean League have any elite units?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
How about a Japanese Shinto Mystic Adept trained to track and combat evil mages, but took it too far and thus has a natural mistrust of anyone Awakened?

quote:

EDIT: nvm, didn't realize I'd need to set aside 21,000¥ for a weapon focus, or is that only if I don't have the Artificing skill high enough to make it?

H posted:

I think the closest thing for JIS would be the Imperial Marines? CAS has the Ferrets (except I don't know if that's just a bit of fluff), and I'm not sure how much of an elite unit Amazonia would need as they're chock full of dragons.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 8, 2013

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

H posted:

Is there a compendium of all the elite military-ish units in Shadowrun that belong to all the different corporations/countries? Here's the partial list I have come up from by perusing Google.

Renraku: Red Samurai
Ares: Firewatch
Souix: Wildcats
Salish: Rangers
Tir T: Ghosts
UCAS: Navy Seals
MCT: Zero Zone
Horizon: Dawkins Group
Aztechnology: Jaguars/Eagle Guard

As it stands, I think your list is fairly comprehensive.

It's been a long time since I read any SR supplements but I don't think Amazonia has an elite squad. In 4th ed they were getting into a war with Aztlan, and there were a lot of mercenary companies working the ground there for both sides. JIS has the Imperial Marines, although I don't recall if there's an elite unit within the IM. I don't remember anything for the CAS or Carib League but I believe both are covered in the 3rd edition supplement "Shadows of North America"--if you can find that second-hand, it might be your best source of info for those two.

Former megacorp Cross Applied Technologies had the Seraphim; the corp went under in 2065 during the chaos of the Second Crash but there's no reason you couldn't have a rogue unit that went "freelance," still trying to fulfill the goals of a company that got bought out a decade ago. I don't think the other corps have specialized milspec units, but that's not to say their regular security forces are anything to sneeze at.

And Lone Star has both SWAT and Fast Response Teams--they both jockey for position and influence against each other and have pissing matches over who ought to be coming in to save the day.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Does Wuxing have anything notable?

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

Rockopolis posted:

Does Wuxing have anything notable?

They have their headquarters in Hong Kong and it has such powerful feng shui that you can see into the astral (Just see, not interact. It's like a window.). Basically, they're really good with magic stuff. Besides that, they do finance and are the number one shipping/logistics megacorp.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Leadership is really one of the most powerful skills in the game. With the Direct action, your Leadership check is effectively a teamwork test for any skill in the game, including ones your character doesn't know at all. For a dedicated Shaman or Face, it isn't at all hard to get to 14 dice, where you're sending an expected 4.5 dice and limit to a check a teammate is making so long as you aren't doing anything else that exact combat turn.

I think I might have to make a Yoda-Style mystic adept who runs around using Jedi Mind Trick types of spells and giving cryptic advice to his teammates.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
For the Direct action, I guess you just resist a TN5 since it isn't specifically laid out. I can see how this can be a bit OP outside of combat especially since it takes a Complex Action to use. At that point any time your team mate has to make any sort of test you may as well be Directing them which doesn't seem like how the skill should work ("Come on man, program that software! You can do it!"). In combat it doesn't seem unbalanced since you give up your entire turn to do it, and that's one less attacker on your side. Also, I don't see it listed anywhere in the description that you add anything to Limit, only extra die hits.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Leadership is really one of the most powerful skills in the game. With the Direct action, your Leadership check is effectively a teamwork test for any skill in the game, including ones your character doesn't know at all. For a dedicated Shaman or Face, it isn't at all hard to get to 14 dice, where you're sending an expected 4.5 dice and limit to a check a teammate is making so long as you aren't doing anything else that exact combat turn.

I think I might have to make a Yoda-Style mystic adept who runs around using Jedi Mind Trick types of spells and giving cryptic advice to his teammates.

Whoa, time to make a middle manager of justice shaman mystic adept; trained in the hidden arts of management, they proactively leverage the synergistic core competencies of their team members for greater efficiency!

Just need to think of a plausible backstory. And an alias.

It also seems like a character that would also want high Edge and/or lots of skills at 1, to represent enough familiarity to wing it and manage.
Or does that go back to the whole Untrained vs Incompetent thing?

Edit: Well, at Cha 9 Leadership 7, you probably are so good at reading people that you can basically straighten out what it is that they're trying to do.

And at 9 Charisma 5 Willpower and Leadership 6 you're probably way too ambitious to be satisfied with plodding up the corporate ladder through junior management. Gotta be proactive!

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 9, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Bigass Moth posted:

For the Direct action, I guess you just resist a TN5 since it isn't specifically laid out. I can see how this can be a bit OP outside of combat especially since it takes a Complex Action to use. At that point any time your team mate has to make any sort of test you may as well be Directing them which doesn't seem like how the skill should work ("Come on man, program that software! You can do it!"). In combat it doesn't seem unbalanced since you give up your entire turn to do it, and that's one less attacker on your side. Also, I don't see it listed anywhere in the description that you add anything to Limit, only extra die hits.

The rules for Teamwork tests state each assistant who scores any hits adds one limit to the roll. It's definitely not unbalanced in combat; During combat, you'd probably want to figure out a way to Con some random guys, security, guys on the street, cops, whatever, into letting you use the Command ability of Leadership. And yeah, it would definitely be silly to allow it all the time, for every test. Probably the way to make it least absurd would be to require some familiarity with the actual skill being used, like the Instruct skill does.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hey, here's one; how about enchanted taser darts? Like from a Defiance or Yamaha.
I think reloading kills the idea of a Defiance Ex Weapon Focus.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

Rockopolis posted:

Hey, here's one; how about enchanted taser darts? Like from a Defiance or Yamaha.
I think reloading kills the idea of a Defiance Ex Weapon Focus.

Only melee weapons can be foci

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The Defiance has a melee application so you could use it as a foci, but not when using the darts I guess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dirtycajun posted:

Only melee weapons can be foci

Can't you just have it act and shoot normally when used as a gun?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The reasoning behind that is something to do with your aura?

Okay. But taser darts, or even dart gun darts seem like they'd be viable targets for enchantment.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So I take it kung-fu action Orc is still totally legit?

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
If you wanted to do a straight physical (non-astral) kung fu beast, I would do a mixed cyberware/adept orc (other metatypes work) with priorities A/B/C/D/E as Stats/Metatype/Skills/Magic/Resources.For trading in 10 Karma, you could get 20,000 Nuyen worth of cyberware (which happens to be the price of Bone Lacing 1 + 2 Orthoskins) to give you +3 armor, +1 Bod, +1 Unarmed Physical damage.

This bypasses the need for killing hands and makes you more defensive. And for another 10K, you can immediatley buy your magic back up to 2. For Adept powers, I would get Combat Sense and Improved Reaction for the full 2 points. You have 24 stat points and enough skill points to max out a few, and even have 5 Karma remaining from the default 25.

I have a question: Have any of you actually GM/Played with a group where a Doc-Wagon was called to the scene? How does that even work out?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

H posted:

I have a question: Have any of you actually GM/Played with a group where a Doc-Wagon was called to the scene? How does that even work out?

Not in 5th (I've yet to have an opportunity to play it), but in 2nd-4th, absolutely. How it plays out depends on the situation. If the customer's biomonitor band breaks or otherwise shows severe stress (such as maxing out their Physical boxes), DocWagon does everything in their power, based on the situation and the customer's package, to retrieve the customer, stabilize them, and get them to a hospital. That's it. It's much like the paramedics - they'll grab you if you just got shot, but they're not going to run into the middle of a firefight to do it. That's why the higher packages include High Threat Response teams, who will. Of course, since they have no dog in the fight except getting their customer out, it's all suppression fire and such.

That's pretty much how I play DW summons when I GM. They won't cross into sovereign corporate territory, and they won't interfere with the rightfully contracted law enforcement officers attempting to arrest you. They will, however, attempt to convince whatever parties are detaining you to allow them to provide medical attention and, if necessary, escort you to a hospital along with whatever security or cops you just pissed off.

If you have specific scenarios you're curious about, I'd be happy to field them!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Has anyone gotten their hard copy of the SR 5th book yet?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

H posted:

If you wanted to do a straight physical (non-astral) kung fu beast, I would do a mixed cyberware/adept orc (other metatypes work) with priorities A/B/C/D/E as Stats/Metatype/Skills/Magic/Resources.For trading in 10 Karma, you could get 20,000 Nuyen worth of cyberware (which happens to be the price of Bone Lacing 1 + 2 Orthoskins) to give you +3 armor, +1 Bod, +1 Unarmed Physical damage.

This bypasses the need for killing hands and makes you more defensive. And for another 10K, you can immediatley buy your magic back up to 2. For Adept powers, I would get Combat Sense and Improved Reaction for the full 2 points. You have 24 stat points and enough skill points to max out a few, and even have 5 Karma remaining from the default 25.

That's a terrible character decision, by the way. You can get a far, far stronger and more well-rounded character by going straight cyberware.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
In general I'm really not a big fan of mixing adept and 'ware in 5e. I know in 4e it was the way to go if you wanted to make an adept (and frankly you were likely better off just going full 'ware) but in 5e it's pretty strongly penalized.

Right now the big mark against kung fu dude is that there's no adept power to increase your hand to hand killing skills, but I'm guessing that will change once the Magic poo poo book drops.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You mean aside from Critical Strike: Unarmed (explicitly works with weapons, so put on some knucks/enjoy your 9S shock gloves!) and Attribute Boost: Strength?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cabbit posted:

You mean aside from Critical Strike: Unarmed (explicitly works with weapons, so put on some knucks/enjoy your 9S shock gloves!) and Attribute Boost: Strength?

Critical Strike increase by 1 point max. Attribute Boost: Strength lets you make an Attribute Boost + Magic test as a simple action (meaning you can't attack that round) to raise your strength by the number of hits you get, maximum of 4, and caused drain equal to the level of the power. Meanwhile a cybered character can get Str+3 P super easily at chargen (a spur or used bone density augmentation 4) and +3 strength (used muscle augmentation 4) all the time.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

That he can, but he's also probably going to throw Resources A or B out to get it. An Adept can throw Magic D/Metatype C for his stuff, netting A or B skills and attributes. Also, doesn't cyber-enhancement only go to +3 for attributes, as opposed to the +4 Adept powers are capable of (or is that just for cybernetic limbs)?

Not to mention, a cybered character also has to deal with all the logistics of being a walking abomination unto God and Dwarf, which is its own set of issues. Metal detectors, say, or a particular aversion to electricity damage and deckers. For, what-- 1 DV? And probably significantly narrower skills to start off with?

I think that's an even trade.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
An Adept going magic D is probably just as bad off as a sammy going Resources D, though. I mean, you're assuming the Adept only wants ability boost, killing hands, and critical strike - by that same logic, a sammy only needs one decked out cyberarm with spurs. Which, again, means they don't need to worry about the whole walking abomination thing.

Also ability boost is amazing. For firearms adepts. Unarmed and melee both take a complex to attack, which means they can't boost and hit on the same turn.

I mean, I feel like you're comparing two dramatically different characters here. One is a rounded out skills guy who also has a small subsection of adept powers to punch, and the other seems to be a fully cybered cyber sammy cyber sam cyber cyber who just happens to have a punch.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cabbit posted:

That he can, but he's also probably going to throw Resources A or B out to get it. An Adept can throw Magic D/Metatype C for his stuff, netting A or B skills and attributes. Also, doesn't cyber-enhancement only go to +3 for attributes, as opposed to the +4 Adept powers are capable of (or is that just for cybernetic limbs)?

Not to mention, a cybered character also has to deal with all the logistics of being a walking abomination unto God and Dwarf, which is its own set of issues. Metal detectors, say, or a particular aversion to electricity damage and deckers. For, what-- 1 DV? And probably significantly narrower skills to start off with?

I think that's an even trade.

You do have to go high resources, but in exchange you don't have to waste a slot on magic. I mean, Resources E is incredibly restrictive - you have 6000 nuyen only. I mean, a rating 2 SIN (the absolute minimum acceptable) is 5k in itself!

Cyberware is indeed limited to +3 (with the exception of reaction for reaction enhancers + wired reflexes) but it doesnt really matter because with adept boost you aren't going to reliably hit +4 unless you feel like 6 drain at the end.

Bioware is really the way to go, though. For example, here's a sample ware list for a very well rounded character. You need Resources A (total cost is 411250, which still leaves almost 40k for other gear without spending any karma on nuyen) to get it, but it provides massive bonuses across a variety of roles.
pre:
Used Bone Density Augmentation 4	15000
Used Muscle Augmentation 3		69750
Used Muscle Toner 3			72000
Synaptic Booster 1			95000
Platelet Factories			17000
Mnemonic Enhancer 2			18000
Cerebral Booster 1			31500
Tailored Pheremones 3			93000
You're never going to get anywhere near that amount of bonuses and flexibility with a cybered adept.

If you wanted, you could cut it down to the first three items and add Alpha Wired Reflexes 1 to fit into Resources B, and still be better than the cybered adept.

Piell fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 10, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ProfessorCirno posted:

An Adept going magic D is probably just as bad off as a sammy going Resources D, though. I mean, you're assuming the Adept only wants ability boost, killing hands, and critical strike - by that same logic, a sammy only needs one decked out cyberarm with spurs. Which, again, means they don't need to worry about the whole walking abomination thing.

Also ability boost is amazing. For firearms adepts. Unarmed and melee both take a complex to attack, which means they can't boost and hit on the same turn.

I mean, I feel like you're comparing two dramatically different characters here. One is a rounded out skills guy who also has a small subsection of adept powers to punch, and the other seems to be a fully cybered cyber sammy cyber sam cyber cyber who just happens to have a punch.

Magic D, Metatype C. As in, a human with 6 Magic and 3 Edge. But, yeah, I guess it's a matter of focus.

Edit:

Piell posted:

Bioware is really the way to go, though. For example, here's a sample ware list for a very well rounded character. You need Resources A (total cost is 411250, which still leaves almost 40k for other gear without spending any karma on nuyen) to get it, but it provides massive bonuses across a variety of roles.
pre:
Used Bone Density Augmentation 4	15000
Used Muscle Augmentation 3		69750
Used Muscle Toner 3			72000
Synaptic Booster 1			95000
Platelet Factories			17000
Mnemonic Enhancer 2			18000
Cerebral Booster 2			31500
Tailored Pheremones 3			93000
You're never going to get anywhere near that amount of bonuses and flexibility with a cybered adept.

If you wanted, you could cut it down to the first three items and add Alpha Wired Reflexes 1 to fit into Resources B, and still be better than the cybered adept.

Tailored pheromones? Seems like there might be a better strength to play to there instead of grabbing those.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 10, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cabbit posted:

Magic D, Metatype C. As in, a human with 6 Magic and 3 Edge. But, yeah, I guess it's a matter of focus.

Edit:

Tailored pheromones? Seems like there might be a better strength to play to there instead of grabbing those.

Switch it out for another level of Synaptic boosters if you want, then. Either way, cyberware is going to provide a massively larger set of bonuses than adepts.

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
I didn't know you could get used bioware (I assumed there was only one grade of bioware). Can you get alpha/beta bioware as well?

Also, is Armor a thing in astral combat? What about reach?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

You can't used cultured bioware, since that stuff is tailored for you specifically, but other than that bioware runs the gamut from used to deltaware.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, used non-cultured bioware kinda has to exist. Otherwise there'd be no such thing as an organ donor. And organ legging is a pretty strongly established part of the setting.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, used non-cultured bioware kinda has to exist. Otherwise there'd be no such thing as an organ donor. And organ legging is a pretty strongly established part of the setting.

Non-cultured bioware is specifically something you can get used (although probably not bone density unless it's maybe some kind of strips that are surgically laid on top of the bones). The bioware is specifically included in the discussion of alpha, beta, delta, used at the beginning of the Augmentation gear section. Plus, like you said, Cirno, it's a Big Thing in the Shadowrun world to cut fancy hearts or kidneys out of people and sell them on the black market.

Getting back to the issue of magic vs cyberwear, killing hands an adept punch spirits to death and that has long been its shining feature in my opinion.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
What's wrong with these used bones? They fell off the back of a truck, I'm cutting you a deal here. Do you want bonuses to your punches or not?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Used doesn't literally have to be used as in you pried it out of a person, it can also just be "this is inferior quality 'ware put in your body by a street doc who sterilizes his tools with Big Bob's Discount Blended Whiskey Product." Used bone lacing is kind of dumb but "this bone lacing is kind of lovely quality but you get what you pay for" isn't, so there you go.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

MilkmanLuke posted:

Non-cultured bioware is specifically something you can get used (although probably not bone density unless it's maybe some kind of strips that are surgically laid on top of the bones). The bioware is specifically included in the discussion of alpha, beta, delta, used at the beginning of the Augmentation gear section. Plus, like you said, Cirno, it's a Big Thing in the Shadowrun world to cut fancy hearts or kidneys out of people and sell them on the black market.

Getting back to the issue of magic vs cyberwear, killing hands an adept punch spirits to death and that has long been its shining feature in my opinion.

Y...yes?

I was agreeing with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Grinding up the old lacing to reuse, with bits of old bone in it?
Now you're making me think of a Giant repo man/organlegger, "Fe fi fo fum I smell the 'ware of an indebted man, be he living or be he dead, I'll grind his bones to make my bread!"