Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

davidspackage posted:

I love that Machete Kills poster, but I'm surprised there's no Lady Gaga credit. Maybe her role's really short.

Particularly since Cuba Gooding Jr, Walton Goggins and William Sadler get a credit on the poster but don't make an appearance. I'll never quite understand poster billings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MY ABACUS! posted:

What makes a movie poster good?

A great poster sets you up for the film. It invokes an emotion you will feel when watching the movie.

A good poster gives you an idea of the plot without giving it away and tells you the major stars.

A bad poster is pretty much the opposite of this, unless it's being intentional with hiding something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Particularly since Cuba Gooding Jr, Walton Goggins and William Sadler get a credit on the poster but don't make an appearance. I'll never quite understand poster billings.

Billing in general can be weird. In that live-action Fairly Oddparents movie, Randy Jackson got billing in the opening credits.

He had a one-line cameo at the very end of the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

A great poster sets you up for the film. It invokes an emotion you will feel when watching the movie.

A good poster gives you an idea of the plot without giving it away and tells you the major stars.

A bad poster is pretty much the opposite of this, unless it's being intentional with hiding something.

Also your basic design things like framing, color selection, etc.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DrVenkman posted:

All crediting including order of appearance from left to right on a poster is hammered out before shooting even begins on a lot of films. This is why sometimes you get pictures that don't match the names on the poster and stuff. They negotiate whose name goes where and how big their face is and yadda yadda. Then stars with clout get to approve marketing materials and can whine if someone else is placed more prominently or lit better or any number of things.

It's ridiculous.

No graphic designer wants to make a bad poster, sometimes bad is the best you can do after 10 producers and 5 stars change their mind 100 times each.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MY ABACUS! posted:

What makes a movie poster good?

It makes you want to see the movie, or at least curious enough to give it a shot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What makes a good minimalist fan poster

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yonic Symbolism posted:

How much it goes for on Ebay.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'll let you know as soon as I see one

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Ez posted:

I'll let you know as soon as I see one

What if not seeing one is true minimalist perfection?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It makes you want to see the movie, or at least curious enough to give it a shot.

This is the correct answer, I think. Every element of graphic design is there for aesthetic pleasure, but the aesthetic pleasure is there to draw attention, so attention is really the ultimate goal. The worst thing a poster can be is unremarkable and forgettable, same as a movie.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The first one you see.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 6, 2014

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope

Finally got this bad boy framed and hung. For those that aren't familiar, this is from the 1970's rerelease of Fantasia for the hippy set.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

A good poster for me, minimalist or not, is one I'd have on my wall and simply enjoy looking at. That Machete Kills poster does a good job of selling the film and now I want to see it, but the poster itself is not the sort of thing I'd (personally) want to look at every day. Film posters can be works of art in themselves, and those really striking ones are the things we remember. Hell, while I was writing this very post, TracerBullet just posted one from the 70s he likes. That's what makes a poster good, that you see it and you remember it even after all the time since the movie was made. Commercially or artistically, that's just awesome.

I feel really bad for the people who make modern movie posters, because the ability to make something really genius and interesting is probably the first thing to die under the heel of all the producers they probably have to answer to. I can't wait to never make anything good again once I need a budget.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Where's Walter?

I'm still on the fence about the movie itself but this poster rules.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

25: How many women? A Number of Women

It seems to me that once you get into triple digits, the quality of your poster starts to dramatically drop.

Two Women

Three Women

Five Bold Women

5 Loose Women

5 Branded Women

7 Women

7 Women from Hell

8 1/2 Women

10 Violent Women

Thirteen Women

13 Frightened Girls

100 Women

(because nothing sells a sex comedy like Clint Howard)

House of a 1000 Women (aka 2000 Women)

2 Million Stupid Women

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Took me a second to realize that 100 Women and 100 Girls are different movies.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Somewhere there's an exasperated Disney lawyer trying to explain that this is why they can't sue the film makers over the poster, and getting nowhere with it.

It's pretty clear parody, since both the poster and its film are commenting on what they're appropriating, and is thus covered under fair use, right?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Fair Use has touches of grey to it as far as litigation is concerned.

And partly because of that, a large entity like Disney could be over whelming enough that defendant just pays the settlement before a trial gets fully under way.

Terminal Entropy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 8, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Pretty sure Disney could block it's release since it was filmed on their land without their consent.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mister Chief posted:

Pretty sure Disney could block it's release since it was filmed on their land without their consent.

Nah that's actually unlikely now that its complete. They could prevent the filming while it was being done obviously but now that its complete its more complicated. This [url= http://m.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/01/escape-from-tomorrow-disney-world-and-the-law-of-fair-use.html]New Yorker article[/url] by a lawyer discusses it better than I can. It's not really so cut and dry and its probably better for Disney, from their position, to ignore an indie micro budget film only a few nerds care about than to give it a bunch of attention and potentially set any legal precedents about free speech that would be even more detremental to their brand.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Disney is pretty much resigned to this film existing and getting a release and they don't really care. The film is careful not to scream Disney (apparently they never refer to the parks by name) and only occasionally uses park icons like the castle or Spaceship Earth, but since those were all built in the 70s and 80s Disney doesn't have any copyright on the architectural structures (you couldn't copy right architecture until the 90s) so it's technically fair game to shoot Spaceship Earth or the Monorails.

The filmmakers were also careful to remove any music from attractions or ambiance, so they don't have to deal with music copyright from Disney either.

Disney even acknowledges the movie on their D23 Disney Encylopedia. They are fully aware, but do not seem to care. And that's really the best move for them. Look at Sea World with Blackfish. They are trying desperately to smear the name of the film, and all it's doing is bringing more attention to the film. Disney figures, let this guy have his fun. He won't make a fortune off it or anything, and it's not doing us any harm.

It's remarkable legal restraint, but it's smart.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

ShufflerZero posted:

25: How many women? A Number of Women

Thirteen Women

I've got this one on my wall. Not a great film, but pretty fun for a slasher flick from 1932.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Disney is pretty much resigned to this film existing and getting a release and they don't really care. The film is careful not to scream Disney (apparently they never refer to the parks by name) and only occasionally uses park icons like the castle or Spaceship Earth, but since those were all built in the 70s and 80s Disney doesn't have any copyright on the architectural structures (you couldn't copy right architecture until the 90s) so it's technically fair game to shoot Spaceship Earth or the Monorails.

The filmmakers were also careful to remove any music from attractions or ambiance, so they don't have to deal with music copyright from Disney either.

Disney even acknowledges the movie on their D23 Disney Encylopedia. They are fully aware, but do not seem to care. And that's really the best move for them. Look at Sea World with Blackfish. They are trying desperately to smear the name of the film, and all it's doing is bringing more attention to the film. Disney figures, let this guy have his fun. He won't make a fortune off it or anything, and it's not doing us any harm.

It's remarkable legal restraint, but it's smart.

They learned a valuable lesson from Barbra Streisand.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

MrBling posted:

They learned a valuable lesson from Barbra Streisand.

Not really:Disney wants to trademark 'Dia de los Muertos' and Merida From 'Brave' Gets An Unnecessary Makeover, Sparks Change.org Petition

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What do those have to do with the Streisand effect?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Disney still hasn't learned what kind of fall out their actions will have.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sweet, a day of the dead Pixar movie sounds fabulous! Also, that petition is dumb or they just chose a bad picture to illustrate their point.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Ariza posted:

Sweet, a day of the dead Pixar movie sounds fabulous! Also, that petition is dumb or they just chose a bad picture to illustrate their point.

I never understood that controversy. They redesigned the character to make her look like more like the traditionally animated princesses and people think they "sexied" her up. I don't look at the new design of Merida and think "ooh look how sexy she is", she still looks like a dorky cartoon character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It is a rather ironic that she's wearing the dress which in the movie she doesn't want to wear and despises as symbolic of her being forced into the princess role but is made to wear anyway.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It is a rather ironic that she's wearing the dress which in the movie she doesn't want to wear and despises as symbolic of her being forced into the princess role but is made to wear anyway.

I don't want to start a detail so this is the last thing I'll say about it but I would guess that it's just some animator or designer picking a dress that better matches the style of the princesses. I doubt Disney cartoonists are trying to make a subtle point about women's place in society, it's all marketing bullshit.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Ez posted:

I doubt Disney cartoonists are trying to make a subtle point about women's place in society

No one has ever even remotely suggested this, so you're probably right to doubt it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

MikeJF posted:

Anyone who doesn't understand why people were upset about the Merida redesign should read this over and over until it sinks in. (Also, what happened to her cheeks?!?)

Anyway, what happened with Disney and Streisand?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Rahonavis posted:

Anyway, what happened with Disney and Streisand?

Nothing to do with Disney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Dia de los Muertos movie is a Pixar joint, btw.

This is why Disney titles their movies things like "Tangled" and "Frozen" instead of "Rapunzel" and "The Snow Queen". When you're dealing with public-domain material it's way easier to create an entirely new title that you can copyright and own.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

Also your basic design things like framing, color selection, etc.

That's not really what makes a good poster, more things to think about when making a good poster. Sure its likely a good poster will have excellent composition and colour choice that create mood and bring attention important aspects of the poster, but if the over all ideas behind the poster are bad then it doesn't matter how good certain design aspects of it are.

The reverse can also true, a bad execution of a really good poster idea can still be pretty decent. Sure if its designed to bad enough nothing will come though at all, and it will be crap. But on the whole I usually prefer badly designed great ideas, than really well designed poo poo ones.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I'm pretty dang excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Compared to the striking character photos shown earlier this looks like a direct to dvd cover.