Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

jng2058 posted:

Leonidas in 300 (and history).

Haha, you think there are mooks in history. Man: as an epic fighter with feats in short sword, Leo must've been bummed out he was killed by a NPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Douwe posted:

Haha, you think there are mooks in history. Man: as an epic fighter with feats in short sword, Leo must've been bummed out he was killed by a NPC.

According to Plutarch, there was a Persian soldier named Mithridates, an ordinary rank-and-file soldier, who fought in the Battle of Cunaxa. (The background and aftermath of battle is one of the great stories of history, and is best recorded in the Anabasis of Xenophon.) He was the one who killed with a dart the leader of the rebel forces, the famous Cyrus the Younger, without even realizing whom he had killed. Cyrus was on the verge of overthrowing his tyrannical brother King Artaxerxes II, who rewarded Mithridates handsomely - but the king wished it to be thought that he, not some lowly soldier, was the one who killed Cyrus.

However, during a victory celebration, Mithridates had a bit too much to drink, and he let slip that his fancy clothes and such were his prize for killing Cyrus. Artaxerxes caught wind of it, and for stealing his glory, sentenced him to be put to death by scaphism, a notoriously gruesome means of execution. The poor bastard didn't die for seventeen days.

So, bringing things back on topic: would it be in-character for Tarquin to fabricate an official record of things just so it would make a better story than what actually happened?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Bongo Bill posted:

So, bringing things back on topic: would it be in-character for Tarquin to fabricate an official record of things just so it would make a better story than what actually happened?

We're actually hearing Tarquin tell the story in retrospect.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Noah posted:

We're actually hearing Tarquin tell the story in retrospect.

To Nale.

In Hell.

Forever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Potooweet posted:

To Nale.

In Hell.

Forever.

...okay, yeah, that'd be his version of hell, all right. Repeatedly trying to get people to listen to this awesome story of how awesome he was and nobody giving a poo poo about it. He's even got a version of it that he's masterfully perfected to be all in iambic pentameter and nobody in hell friggin' cares about iambic pentameter. But he's convinced if he tells the story just right and gets people to listen to him and appreciate his completely perfected mastery of narrative, he'll be able to leave. He never will!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Speedball posted:

He never will!
The key to leaving is accepting that he's just not actually that clever.

He's doomed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Leper Colon V posted:

Yeah, Tarquin's dead wrong on at least two counts. The Rules Of Dramatic Storytelling Necessity are real things in the OoTS universe, and they are powerful, but they're not the complete be-all end-all Theory Of Everything that Tarquin treats them as. And, as many people have noted, he's too self-centered to see that he's applying those rules incorrectly - he's not the Main Villain, and Elan isn't the Big Hero, so his entire understanding of how everything is going to play out (which is his special power and the thing that he thinks makes him smarter than everybody else) is spectacularly flawed.

This is all going to end very badly for Tarquin.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Douwe posted:

Of course there are mooks in history. Look at Peter Buckley. Dude's a real-life Carl "The Tooth" Williams.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

FMguru posted:

The Rules Of Dramatic Storytelling Necessity are real things in the OoTS universe, and they are powerful, but they're not the complete be-all end-all Theory Of Everything that Tarquin treats them as.

Now I want to see Tarquin in a Discworld novel, where Narrative Causality is also a real force of nature.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He's doomed.

Heh, exactly. The defining trademark of the truly damned is the inability to admit fault and take responsibility.

And Tarquin is sharp, indeed, very sharp...but not that sharp. If he were really clever he'd find a way to get everyone to fall in line because they love him, 'cause people will risk death to destroy someone they hate. He doesn't have a concept of empathy so this probably never occurred to him.

He's also missing another big storyteller aspect: if you're a proper storyteller, you're not just setting up and assembling component tropes, you're bringing people to life, and the story can even take on a life of its own because you've made it ring true. But he sees other people only as stepping stones, at best...the story of his own life that he's constructing is paint-by-numbers, no passion.

I don't know how Tarquin's going to go down but I can't wait to see it. Even if it was an anticlimax it'd be fitting because, y'know, it'd take his pride down a couple of big notches. My only problem with the same thing happening to Kubota was that Kubota died so fast he didn't even have time to realize what a colossal fuckup he was.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

He's also missing another big storyteller aspect: if you're a proper storyteller, you're not just setting up and assembling component tropes, you're bringing people to life, and the story can even take on a life of its own because you've made it ring true. But he sees other people only as stepping stones, at best...the story of his own life that he's constructing is paint-by-numbers, no passion.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Considering that, Rich is showing remarkable restraint in not using Tarquin just to take the piss out of his forum members.
Goddamn. Well played, Mr. Burlew.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

nimby posted:

Now I want to see Tarquin in a Discworld novel, where Narrative Causality is also a real force of nature.

Wasn't that roughly the idea of Witches Abroad? Forcing reality to conform to stories?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

nimby posted:

Picture him trying to pull one over on Vetinari. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Carrasco posted:

He'd probably peg Vetinari as a scheming Vizier who succeeded, and react accordingly. It would not end well for him.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Carrasco posted:

Picture him trying to pull one over on Vimes. :allears:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

And Tarquin is sharp, indeed, very sharp...but not that sharp. If he were really clever he'd find a way to get everyone to fall in line because they love him, 'cause people will risk death to destroy someone they hate. He doesn't have a concept of empathy so this probably never occurred to him.

It's not really possible to be loved by everyone. There will always be people who disagree on certain points and if you aren't able to dispose of those people on a whim then what is the value of being supreme dictator?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

my dad posted:

Picture him trying to pull one over on Vimes. :allears:

Normal Vimes, or Super-Vimes with the power of darkness? Are you my cow? No! It goes "narrative convention means your friend must die!" That is not my cow.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Carrasco posted:

Tarquin would think he'd won right up until the moment he realized he'd never had a chance. Tarquin knows stories, but Vetinari knows people.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vetinari's deal is that he always turns out to have things planned just like this. Tarquin would recognize this and set himself up so he fits into Vetinari's plan in the role of a powerful adversary. Both would consider themselves the winner because for Tarquin it's the time he spent as an adversary that counts, for Vetinari it's the end result.

Actually, hold on: Tarquin would set himself up to be in a role where he's continually useful for Vetinari. Present and prove himself to be easily manipulated into doing exactly what Vetinari has planned, and ignore the fact that he serves as a pawn because he does get to live a very decent life with all the amenities in exchange for it.

Tarquin would be Duke Tarquin, watch commander.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vetinari's deal is that he always turns out to have things planned just like this. Tarquin would recognize this and set himself up so he fits into Vetinari's plan in the role of a powerful adversary. Both would consider themselves the winner because for Tarquin it's the time he spent as an adversary that counts, for Vetinari it's the end result.

Actually, hold on: Tarquin would set himself up to be in a role where he's continually useful for Vetinari. Present and prove himself to be easily manipulated into doing exactly what Vetinari has planned, and ignore the fact that he serves as a pawn because he does get to live a very decent life with all the amenities in exchange for it.

Tarquin would be Duke Tarquin, watch commander.

Vetinari would see Tarquin's scheme coming a mile away, know he's going to be trying to undermine and/or replace him the whole way, and promptly set Vimes and Tarquin against one another. Because Vimes would knock Tarquin the gently caress out and solve the problem for Vetinari.

There's no way Tarquin would be okay with being second banana to a frankly better villain, leader, and/or technical hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tarquin is not actually that smart is the thing. He is basically Elan and Nale mixed together. He has immense knowledge of story structure and short-sighted arrogant plans which are destined to backfire in his face. Elan also has immense knowledge of story structure but he just isn't very smart, just self-aware to be able to put it to use sometimes. Tarquin does the same thing but with all of Nale's "I'm a genius, there is no way I can fail" flaws.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Tarquin is not actually that smart is the thing. He is basically Elan and Nale mixed together. He has immense knowledge of story structure and short-sighted arrogant plans which are destined to backfire in his face. Elan also has immense knowledge of story structure but he just isn't very smart, just self-aware to be able to put it to use sometimes. Tarquin does the same thing but with all of Nale's "I'm a genius, there is no way I can fail" flaws.

Yeah, the whole thing with just framing Haley's dad out of the blue for back-chatting him just serves to remind people that as much as he claims to be a super genius, he's at the end of it all: Nale's father.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, the whole thing with just framing Haley's dad out of the blue for back-chatting him just serves to remind people that as much as he claims to be a super genius, he's at the end of it all: Nale's father.

More importantly, he's not as smart as Roy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A.o.D. posted:

More importantly, he's not as smart as Roy.

Also it's Roy's story and as such, literally nothing Tarqin can do can change that.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Tarquin is intelligent. No matter how smart you are, though, it's hard to come to the correct conclusion when you're starting from false premises. And his ego means that his most basic premise "I, Tarquin, am more important than anyone else" isn't likely to be challenged until the knife is already between his ribs.

If he actually understood his place in the narrative he'd see the danger he's in, but that would mean accepting that he isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Is anyone else really sick of the whole "power of narrative" gimmick yet?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

Good thing he's on his way out, huh?

Seriously, it's dollars to donuts that he'll be dead by the end of the book.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Good thing he's on his way out, huh?

Seriously, it's dollars to donuts that he'll be dead by the end of the book.

I don't think he's dying but the next book is definitely going to focus on other elements of the world. We've spent too long on this continent though, I agree with the people complaining.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Now watch xykon pop back in with a "forgot my hat" and wipe tarquin and his forces out as an afterthought.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Forgot my hat. Oh hey, xp." *wipes out everybody, goes on with his day*

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Colonel Cool posted:

Nope. Because look at how it is deployed in the latest update - its just the ideology he adhears to and is forcing on others. For tarquin it is no different than what Aryan supremacy was for Hitler. For everything he says about its truth and power, and high minded prose, it is really just the fig leaf he uses to give himself permission to be a petty dictator

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, that Godwinning might actually be appropriate, wasn't he also the one espousing an inevitable flow of history? That's not so different from a guy talking about how only he understands the Omni-story and thus is its master.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speedball posted:

Y'know, that Godwinning might actually be appropriate, wasn't he also the one espousing an inevitable flow of history?
That comes from an earlier H., I believe.

Still an rear end in a top hat, though.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

That comes from an earlier H., I believe.

Still an rear end in a top hat, though.
Good lord. The sags follow you around the room.
And yeah, Tarquin's not stupid, he's very smart with massive glaring weak points. He doesn't think he's the final boss because he's an idiot, he's got a massive opinion of himself; he didn't bounty up Haley's dad for basically no gain because he's dumb, he's ferociously petty when it comes to people not showing total deference to him.
He's still going to be just as hosed as he would be if he were stupid, of course. But he's starting from a position that nobody stupid would've been able to get to.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Mind that he is fine with being hosed, as long as it makes a totally great story and will guarantee his immortality in history.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

peak debt posted:

Mind that he is fine with being hosed, as long as it makes a totally great story and will guarantee his immortality in history.

At which point you quietly poison someone to death. I am wondering if the flying Kobold might not off him after he loses the battle just to make it a completely unexpected betrayal that means he dies unmourned and unremembered.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
That is the obvious action to take but it's easier to make those plans than to put them into effect. Killing a smart level 20ish character that can afford to spend an entire Kingdom's worth of resources on magic items isn't an easy thing even if you weren't restricted by how flashy his demise can be. Poisoning such a character is completely out of the question for instance.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Nobody exactly needs to devise an elaborate plan to do him in secret, or is going to bother. Nobody can remember the name of the last local tyrant to be offed in a coup. Or the one before, or the one before.

He's set up a situation where the endemic chaos is high enough that pretty much nothing stands out, grand future plans aside he's currently an actual player only in his one crappy little backwater country which far as I'm aware is supposed to be pretty standard for 'retired' adventurers, and short his long-term plan for conquest nothing he's done will have lasting effect beyond that of any of the chumps he's suckered. He's simply counting on running stuff for a fair bit longer to take it to the next level.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Glass of Milk posted:

Now watch xykon pop back in with a "forgot my hat" and wipe tarquin and his forces out as an afterthought.

Nah, if he came back with anything it would be a piece of himself. After all, Tarquin has less plot relevance than Xykon does in his left pinky (bone).

Not going to happen, since he intends to just reconstitute at Kraagor's Gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drakyn posted:

Good lord. The sags follow you around the room.
And yeah, Tarquin's not stupid, he's very smart with massive glaring weak points. He doesn't think he's the final boss because he's an idiot, he's got a massive opinion of himself; he didn't bounty up Haley's dad for basically no gain because he's dumb, he's ferociously petty when it comes to people not showing total deference to him.
He's still going to be just as hosed as he would be if he were stupid, of course. But he's starting from a position that nobody stupid would've been able to get to.

He really isn't though. I've been reading over the logs and he is really isn't much smarter than Elan at least as we're shown. He is immensely immensely aware of genre tropes which sort of qualifies as intelligent except that he is then obviously at a bit of a loss when something doesn't adhere to those tropes. He's knowledgeable in the same way Elan is. Elan is more naive but also more flexible and capable of dealing with or even changing his role in the story. (As he yells at his dad as he leaves.) Everything we see of Tarquin implies he's really talented and capable of working with anything within a set story structure but lost without it. He's like a TV Troper.

He isn't a gibbering idiot but he hasn't really been shown to be that smart, nor is he anywhere as smart as he thinks he is. He's Nale + Elan.