Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Plom Bar posted:

Reply "Why do we even have scientists at all? Everyone should just ask you".

seriously. do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Though he doesn't even have an actual standpoint, because like the other guy pointed out he's almost assuredly repeating talking points rather than holding an actual opinion.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Facebook.txt

quote:

:ssj: million muslim march :ssj:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah, gently caress those assholes. I'd quite probably be carrying a sign in it if I was anywhere near DC.

Actually, amusingly, tomorrow I'm attending an awards ceremony where one of the big ones is going to one of our Muslim buddies, so maybe that counts! Or maybe I should make a pro-Muslim (or at least anti-persecution, is a better term) sign and stand around in front of the capitol in Tallahassee or something, I'm sure that'd go well.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cribbing some notes from way earlier in the thread, I thought I'd try my hand at a Global Warming argument:

To be honest, this thread showed me the best strategy for chats with others who aren't bathing in the denier Kool-Aid and publicly-accessible comments.

This post has solid strategy and this post has a lovely sample meltdown.

Definitely click the second link, I'm sure most guys won't resort to such childish posting but some variety of that awkward filibuster is the only option your opponent really has as a climate change denier. I mean, all the National Science Academies, the armed forces, 97% of scientists etc, even the oil companies now.

If they were in it for the money they'd be embracing the "not sure" stance because research takes funds and consensus matters don't get very much investigation money. If they were in it for social justice, they could go after the "disease and destabilization over there can splash back on us over here" or at least something more immediate than generations-long climate change. It isn't even coherent as a conspiracy - the groups are too diverse in their priorities.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 10, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
As Slacktivist points out every so often, another group of people who clearly believe in climate change are actuaries and the insurance companies they work for.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Me in Reverse posted:

Facebook.txt

Is this the post where someone complains that that million muslim march is allowed on 9/11 but some years ago they wouldn't let bikers in?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I've cautiously started adding Facebook friends from my church. Most folks have been pretty pleasant. But this one guy--who in real life is one of the gentlest, kindest people at my church, and who teaches Sunday School--posts consistently vile crap. Without even breaking it up with kitten pictures or anything.

At least he chose 9/11 to focus on positive energy. Oh wai

And he's changed his cover photo and profile pic to a different image from the WTC attacks every hour since this morning. :stare:

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it
Somber prayers. Not sober.

Unless he often shows up to church drunk.

EDIT: On looking it up, it works either way. I'm a bad grammar nazi.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Some people on the my work's e-mail list are throwing a shitfit because we didn't have a moment of silence for 9/11. It's TOTALLY SHAMEFUL. WE FORGOT 9/11. SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
What is this about all of these bikers going to DC to confront 1,000,000 Muslims? Got a ton of images of it today.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So it came to light that an acquaintance of mine is a Truther.

quote:

Blessed be those who died in a false flag operation that took their lives. Never forget: steel melts at 2750* Fahrenheit. Jet fuel burns at 1400* Fahrenheit. Physics didn't point a finger at terrorists. Follow the money. Use your head. Honor the real heroes of 9/11.

quote:

Or instead of you not knowing everything there is to know about global politics, you think a bunch of cavemen who still believe in an angry god and execute their women for being raped climb into insanely complex machines of flight and maneuver them (also against the laws of physics) at over 500 mph into what, at that speed would seem like hitting a target the size of a needle. Also, google is not my go-to for everything. I also read books, have a relative who was working in the Pentagon on 9/11/01 and have studied physics, industrial rigging, millwrighting and design. I posted how i feel on my page. You came to my post to disagree. I understand that you disagree. Last time, politely, don't troll me. If you would like to have a discussion about all of this, lets go buy a couple of rounds of beer and hash it out. Maybe even do a little research while we're at it. But I will not rescind or recede here. I honor the regular people of that day who had to clean up the mess.

9/11 was an inside job because black people are too stupid to fly planes and because THE MELTING POINT OF STEEL. This is too petty and dumb to start a thread about, so can someone point me toward a comprehensive takedown of all the "9/11 inside job because PHYSICS" malarkey?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

dms666 posted:

What is this about all of these bikers going to DC to confront 1,000,000 Muslims? Got a ton of images of it today.

The Million Muslim thing is a march meant to highlight some of our little problems like indefinite detention and the poor image Islam has in the U.S., so naturally true patriots like my family believe that it is to celebrate their blood-sacrifices to the pagan moongod on 9/11.

From what I understand, the bikers are there solely to protest a gathering of Muslims.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

9/11 ...12 years later, you are not forgotten. The only language terrorists understand is best spoken with an American Military Assault Rifle. This day we also remember the brave heroes we lost at Benghazi. We still have no good answers and we may never. But let's focus on the WMDs that are now in Syria that came from Iraq. Oh wait I thought George W Bush lied about that! I wonder what they would say about it now....

The right wing tropes are so tightly woven it's a thing of beauty.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Syrian WMDs came from Iraq? That's a new one to me.

I'm also not sure what point they're trying to make there because even if it's true (I'm guessing it is not), it means that that whole "invading and occupying Iraq" thing that we actually went through with did absolutely nothing to stop that WMD problem we used to justify it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Halloween Jack posted:

9/11 was an inside job because black people are too stupid to fly planes and because THE MELTING POINT OF STEEL. This is too petty and dumb to start a thread about, so can someone point me toward a comprehensive takedown of all the "9/11 inside job because PHYSICS" malarkey?

Popular Mechanics has the best takedown but after 12 years this conspiracy has metastasized into religious dogma, sorry. The Truthers I know will never back down and get personally offended and angry when you start pointing out all the inconsistencies in their stories. I once had a guy pound his fist on the table and shout "I HAVE DONE THE RESEARCH" then I pointed out he dropped out of art school so what does the word research mean to him and he doesn't talk to me anymore.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm also not sure what point they're trying to make there because even if it's true (I'm guessing it is not), it means that that whole "invading and occupying Iraq" thing that we actually went through with did absolutely nothing to stop that WMD problem we used to justify it.

It means Bush was RIGHT and the LIBERAL lamestream media LIED.

The fact that we never found anything but a tiny amount of forgotten, useless WMDs in Iraq is a big loose end for neoconservatives.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Popular Mechanics has the best takedown but after 12 years this conspiracy has metastasized into religious dogma, sorry. The Truthers I know will never back down and get personally offended and angry when you start pointing out all the inconsistencies in their stories. I once had a guy pound his fist on the table and shout "I HAVE DONE THE RESEARCH" then I pointed out he dropped out of art school so what does the word research mean to him and he doesn't talk to me anymore.

It means Bush was RIGHT and the LIBERAL lamestream media LIED.

The fact that we never found anything but a tiny amount of forgotten, useless WMDs in Iraq is a big loose end for neoconservatives.

You really can't reason with truthers. Any source you cite they will just handwave away as being in on it or something.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Syrian WMDs came from Iraq? That's a new one to me.

"So, you are pro-invading Syria to secure these WMDs we didn't get in Iraq?"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

THE MELTING POINT OF STEEL.
This is my favourite one. The sheer level of ignorance and intellectual laziness it takes to believe this is truly incredible.

Maybe blacksmiths are in the conspiracy too... This sure goes back a long way! :tinfoil:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The Truthers I know will never back down and get personally offended and angry when you start pointing out all the inconsistencies in their stories. I once had a guy pound his fist on the table and shout "I HAVE DONE THE RESEARCH" then I pointed out he dropped out of art school so what does the word research mean to him and he doesn't talk to me anymore.

I had the same thing happen the one time I tried to engage a truther about the actual support for his arguments - he got really, really pissed off very quickly. I get the impression that they don't get out of the echo chamber much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Notahippie posted:

I had the same thing happen the one time I tried to engage a truther about the actual support for his arguments - he got really, really pissed off very quickly. I get the impression that they don't get out of the echo chamber much.

The big problem is that it is extremely similar to religious dogma but it is presented as some deep objective/scientific insight so before you can make any progress you have to get the truther to internally reframe how they look at their arguments and good luck with that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
THE GOVERNMENT PULLED OFF A VAST CONSPIRACY TO CARRY OUT A FALSE FLAG ATTACK ON THE UNITED STATES TO DRAW IT INTO WAR but can't keep some random people off of facebook/youtube

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Curious; all Bush needed to invade Iraq was a suspicion of WMDs. But apparently, destroying America's pre-eminant displays of economic power, and damaging its hub of security/intelligence was necessary to justify an invasion of a much smaller and more incapable nation of Afghanistan?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Poizen Jam posted:

Curious; all Bush needed to invade Iraq was a suspicion of WMDs. But apparently, destroying America's pre-eminant displays of economic power, and damaging its hub of security/intelligence was necessary to justify an invasion of a much smaller and more incapable nation of Afghanistan?

It was to rally public opinion against muslims because clearly the masses of the people wouldn't be so goddamn dumb and crazy all the time unless the Government was crafting immaculate lies to sheepleize them because the Shining Lantern of 9/11 Trutherism is a self evident truth etc.

It wasn't just Afghanistan, the 9/11 false flag was necessary to do every bad thing that's happened since then.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah but where does UN Agenda 21 come in?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Poizen Jam posted:

Afghanistan was merely a stepping stone to invade Iraq. It's just really bizzare logic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phone posted:

Yeah but where does UN Agenda 21 come in?
Clearly the real motivation was to clear space for sustainable development.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

So it came to light that an acquaintance of mine is a Truther.
"9/11 inside job because PHYSICS" malarkey?

Dumb fixation on steel's melting point. It weakens and softens before it melts, and steel is a skyscraper's skeleton. Like if you woke up one day with severe osteoporosis, you'd expect to break something eventually because your bones are half as strong as they were. Hell, you could probably test it at home by making a basic sheet metal table like ╥ or ∩, putting some weights on the top, then applying a blowtorch to different parts of the table until it begins to sag under the weight.

Something kinda comparable that most people accept and understand: metal fatigue can break a paperclip or a strip of sheet metal from the force of your hands by repeated twisting and folding, but it doesn't mean you're superman shredding metal with raw brute strength. Though I like the idea of someone seeing me do that then later putting a conspiracy website together about how I have superpowers.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
The Syrian alibi has been around, as far as I remember, since even before we invaded Iraq. Some, both pro and anti-Iraq intervention, theorized that they'd ship their weapons to Syria in any case.

But remember, that wasn't always the rationale for the war! I can't remember the timeline on which it flipped, but we'd also said the reason was strictly to liberate or stop suppliers of terrorists. It wasn't always just "Oh dear, they have many weapons they may strike people with."

Seems like the liberation rationale was the main one by the time the war was in full swing. I remember a ton of Email forwards with happy Iraqi kids with soldiers and waving American flags popping up from around 03/2003 to 2005 (post "we got Saddam" and Bush re-election and during the heart of the insurgency). Remember, we officially gave up on WMDs in Spring of 2004.

Ok, getting off here, but the "Syria has Iraq's weapons" meme is old.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

swarthmeister posted:

Dumb fixation on steel's melting point. It weakens and softens before it melts, and steel is a skyscraper's skeleton. Like if you woke up one day with severe osteoporosis, you'd expect to break something eventually because your bones are half as strong as they were. Hell, you could probably test it at home by making a basic sheet metal table like ╥ or ∩, putting some weights on the top, then applying a blowtorch to different parts of the table until it begins to sag under the weight.

Something kinda comparable that most people accept and understand: metal fatigue can break a paperclip or a st rip of sheet metal from the force of your hands by repeated twisting and folding, but it doesn't mean you're superman shredding metal with raw brute strength. Though I like the idea of someone seeing me do that then later putting a conspiracy website together about how I have superpowers.

I used to work around metal so yeah its crazy. Have these people never seen the aftermath of a car fire?

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

De Nomolos posted:

Ok, getting off here, but the "Syria has Iraq's weapons" meme is old.

The worst is when you hear this from someone who's not old enough to remember Colin Powell's speech to the UN.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
If they cannot explain what a modulus of elasticity vs. temperature curve looks like and what it means; if they cannot give an estimate for the expected stress state and factor of safety for the steel girders that made the towers' skin; if they can't explain how a blacksmith shapes metal below steel's melting point and how that's somehow different than what happened with the towers, they have no authority (and no idea) discussing how or why they failed.

As an engineer, the building falling isn't what surprised me, it's how it survived so long with 25% or more of its structure compromised and bathed in radiant energy. The things performed incredibly given a completely unprecedented and unexpected scenario, long enough for everyone below the impacts to escape I believe.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It's a belief system. Refuting facts aren't going to be accepted and checked, the system will adapt an explanation. In this case, the invisible dragon in my garage was studied in the 1990's by the British and a few furiously waved hands and safety factors later it still should've stayed up.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
You don't debate with a conspiracy theorist to convince the conspiracy theorist, you do it to keep them from convincing anyone else.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Oh my stars, a right-wing guy I know on another forum started a tumblr and it is awesome. It's titled Factual Falcon (:foxnews: anyone?) so you know it's gonna be good.

Let's start with the recent stuff:

The situation is worse in another country, checkmate libs :smug:

Feminists are the REAL homophobes :bahgawd:

(Sidenote, but "Of hello! We are here to joining you in fight for equality!" is one of the most :laffo: Engrish things I've read, which is even more :laffo: because the guy's from Finland.)

Females and urban ferals are just naturally criminals, disprove this libs :smug:

MUH HATE SPEECH AND FREEDUMS :qq:

...I like where this image is going :haw:

Bizzarrely enough, he's pretty cool with LGBT folks

However, he is still lovely and prejudiced on a million other issues, including IMMIGRANTS :argh:

I love this guy. I think I'm going to start a tumblr account just so I can follow him. :allears:

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet
"Factual Falcon" is straight up white nationalist poo poo. As in it was literally conceived by a bunch of e-Nazis. Just a heads up if you weren't tipped off by the dubious crime stats [a WN favorite] and other reactionary bullshit therein.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Emden posted:

"Factual Falcon" is straight up white nationalist poo poo. As in it was literally conceived by a bunch of e-Nazis. Just a heads up if you weren't tipped off by the dubious crime stats [a WN favorite] and other reactionary bullshit therein.

Have the white nationalists started to soften of LGBT stuff recently or is this specific group just an anomaly?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Have the white nationalists started to soften of LGBT stuff recently or is this specific group just an anomaly?

Because the ay-rabs hate homosexuality, and we hate ay-rabs, and because the enemy of our enemy is out friend...

Also...

Gen. Ripper posted:

Feminists are the REAL homophobes :bahgawd:

...this really pisses me off because it's a very valid criticism of white cisgender feminists (such as Caitlin Moran, Germaine Greer) but is so often used by MRAs to paint all feminists with the same brush. We're not all like that. :smith:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TinTower posted:

Because the ay-rabs hate homosexuality, and we hate ay-rabs, and because the enemy of our enemy is out friend...

Also...

...this really pisses me off because it's a very valid criticism of white cisgender feminists (such as Caitlin Moran, Germaine Greer) but is so often used by MRAs to paint all feminists with the same brush. We're not all like that. :smith:

I'm sure you could find some real winners to misrepresent (as if they needed it, but still) MRAs, if you wanna get back at them. It isn't like they're shy about how crazy they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

TinTower posted:

Also...

The big difference between the two is that Feminism is mostly upheld by scholarly types and people with actual charisma, who understand that Feminist extremists are a detriment to the movement, while the majority of prominent MRAs are genuinely bad people who, despite their abhorrent positions and opinions, are heralded by large swathes of the rest of the community.

edit:

I'm not sure what Cyanide and Happiness' point of view is on gender roles and sexism, but this recently landed on my Facebook wall. Is it making fun of people who don't understand what sexism really is, or is it suggesting that positive stereotypes towards men and asking a man for help with moving something heavy are equivalent to insulting a woman and telling her to suck your dick?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 12, 2013