Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
Are you allowed to use ranged weapons in melee combat (i.e. your pistol Vs. their sword)? I can't find any rules for that besides a really generic -3 for "Attacker in melee".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

H posted:

Are you allowed to use ranged weapons in melee combat (i.e. your pistol Vs. their sword)? I can't find any rules for that besides a really generic -3 for "Attacker in melee".

I've been wondering this myself, even considering taking Exotic Melee Weapon (Pistols) to use them in a Parry action, but I think if you're hitting something with them you're supposed to use Clubs and whatever stats are relevant for an improvised weapon?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Future contacts cannot be bought, p.55. Basically, everything involving contacts after chargen can't be done with Karma. It makes more sense that way. There are supposed to be rules for improvised weapons, but they're not on the suggested page. Pg. 168 gives a guideline for adjudicating the accuracy of an improvised weapon, but there's no information about what skills they use or how much damage they do.

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
I was asking about shooting someone with a pistol that's trying to stab you. Is that -3 dice for the "Attacker in melee" rule?

Also, is there any difference for types of guns (is it -3 for pistol/bow/autocannon alike)?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

H posted:

I was asking about shooting someone with a pistol that's trying to stab you. Is that -3 dice for the "Attacker in melee" rule?

Sounds right to me.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

H posted:

Also, is there any difference for types of guns (is it -3 for pistol/bow/autocannon alike)?

Yes and no. The only difference I can see would be for grenade and missile launchers, which have a listed minimum range for obvious reasons.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Future contacts cannot be bought, p.55. Basically, everything involving contacts after chargen can't be done with Karma. It makes more sense that way. There are supposed to be rules for improvised weapons, but they're not on the suggested page. Pg. 168 gives a guideline for adjudicating the accuracy of an improvised weapon, but there's no information about what skills they use or how much damage they do.

I assumed Clubs because of the sidebar describing using the handle/pommel/etc of a sword to inflict stun damage and using that Skill. Can't remember the page that was onp.186, using Called Shot against armored targets, or Clubs skill against unarmored targets with weapon reach reduced to 0 and accuracy of 3, to do Stun damage. This is with a sword, but I would assume firearms would probably work the same way.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Yes and no. The only difference I can see would be for grenade and missile launchers, which have a listed minimum range for obvious reasons.
That's what the Armorer skill is for, obviously. :unsmigghh:

Actually, is there a damage rating for just getting beaned with a grenade from a launcher?

Plus, firing a rocket into a dude at close range would be super wiz, if he gets hit and carried off by the rocket to blow up at a distance. Like fireworks.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Doc Dee posted:

I assumed Clubs because of the sidebar describing using the handle/pommel/etc of a sword to inflict stun damage and using that Skill. Can't remember the page that was onp.186, using Called Shot against armored targets, or Clubs skill against unarmored targets with weapon reach reduced to 0 and accuracy of 3, to do Stun damage. This is with a sword, but I would assume firearms would probably work the same way.

Found something in an obscure location. "If the character is wielding a firearm they may choose to use the weapon as a club and attack with the Club skill. This attack follows all of the normal rules for Melee Combat (see p. 184)."

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Found something in an obscure location. "If the character is wielding a firearm they may choose to use the weapon as a club and attack with the Club skill. This attack follows all of the normal rules for Melee Combat (see p. 184)."

:aaaaa:

Does this apply for Parry tests? Probably not ideal for my character I would use it on, but I just want to know if it's possible.

EDIT: That's kind of a dumb question. Wouldn't really matter anyway, 17 dice for Dodge sounds pretty good for right out of chargen.

EDIT 2: Somewhat related question: does the maximum for attributes/skills out of chargen apply to adept powers/augmentations as well? Like, if I took Exceptional Attribute to take Agility to 7, took Reaction to 5, then Level 2 Improved Reflexes to magically boost it to 7, would that be legal? Or taking Improved Ability 3 after setting the relevant skill to 6?

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 15, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I mean, I don't see why you couldn't use it for parry tests.

Apparently, you can silence a Heavy Machine Gun. I would complain about this, but it owns too hard.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I mean, I don't see why you couldn't use it for parry tests.

Apparently, you can silence a Heavy Machine Gun. I would complain about this, but it owns too hard.

You can silence an HMG but not a revolver or shotgun??

COME ON, there was a silenced shotgun in No Country For Old Men.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I am opposed to both silenced machine guns and silenced shotguns, because the former must make a loud noise that you can try to mimic with your voice, and the latter should always be as loud as possible :colbert:

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

What would I have to do to have a dog companion, take some level of the Dependent negative quality, the Animal Control skill, and like a 6L/1C Dog contact, or would I have to capture a dog and bend it to my will?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Wait, people actually follow suggested/module rates for character advancement in tabletop RPGs? Those almost always seem to assume that you are running a game for people you have had chained up in your basement for ten years or something.

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.

Hodgepodge posted:

Wait, people actually follow suggested/module rates for character advancement in tabletop RPGs? Those almost always seem to assume that you are running a game for people you have had chained up in your basement for ten years or something.

Well, I don't personally know how much money is reasonable to offer a team of deniable shotgun carnivals to redecorate my business rival's corporate office using my corporate rival's duodenum, so I appreciate when the rulebook offers guidelines.

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
Does the Rally Ability of the Leadership Skill only work with NPCs, or can I use it on my own team?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doc Dee posted:

What would I have to do to have a dog companion, take some level of the Dependent negative quality, the Animal Control skill, and like a 6L/1C Dog contact, or would I have to capture a dog and bend it to my will?

Honestly Shadowrun has never really done much as far as companion animals go, which is kind of lame when you think about the fact that it'll let you buy drones but you can't get a dog. My guess is that it's a combination of "didn't think about it at the time" and "didn't want people having pet hellhounds."

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Doc Dee posted:

This would be entirely GM whim, but two things spring to mind immediately.

1) You'll probably have some sort of karma expenditure if you want it to be useful in combat.
2) You should probably expect the campaign's featured bad guys to earn Evil Cred by killing your dog to send a message.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Doc Dee posted:

All those downsides seem WAY to harsh for what you're getting out of it. Compare a dog to a flying drone with a machine gun. You could probably pick one up for almost nothing at a pound, your lifestyle will most likely cover the costs but the control skill to train it could be useful if you buy it untrained.

You could always look up the 4th edition book Running Wild which handles stuff like that. It's probably not very prioritized as a 5th edition book however so don't bother waiting for it. It's a really fun book with rules for stuff such as buying and owning elephants, ware that works on animals and of course stats for using wared up grizzly bears instead of guard dogs.

Poil fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 15, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Poil posted:

All those downsides seem WAY to harsh for what you're getting out of it. Compare a dog to a flying drone with a machine gun. You could probably pick one up for almost nothing at a pound, your lifestyle will most likely cover the costs but the control skill to train it could be useful if you buy it untrained.

You could always look up the 4th edition book Running Wild which handles stuff like that. It's probably not very prioritized as a 5th edition book however so don't bother waiting for it. It's a really fun book with rules for stuff such as buying and owning elephants, ware that works on animals and of course stats for using wared up grizzly bears instead of guard dogs.

Don't think a homeless man can afford a drone with a machine gun. :v:

It's the character concept I'm interested in, a hobo with a dog that can assist with Tracking and Perception type stuff (as well as combat). But if it wouldn't work, that's fine.

Conskill posted:

This would be entirely GM whim, but two things spring to mind immediately.

1) You'll probably have some sort of karma expenditure if you want it to be useful in combat.
2) You should probably expect the campaign's featured bad guys to earn Evil Cred by killing your dog to send a message.

1) I'm sure I'd have to spend karma on the dog, that's not a problem to me.
2) :ohdear:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, by the time they get around to killing your dog, your team can probably chip in to get its brain extracted and put into a Cyborg. :awesomelon:

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Cybered out pet dog. Give it cerebral boosters and teach it to speak with an implanted com-link. Then mount a cybergun in it's face.

Who's a good boy?

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 15, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
The book has a statline for a dog and it's going to be almost useless in combat, but actually is decent with tracking and perception type stuff. If you actually take the skills to handle/communicate with Lassie, I see no reason to not let it be covered under lifestyle. Also if your GM kills the dog to give the evil villain cred, that's pretty low and your GM might be John Wick.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

According to Running Wild you gotta have at least a Middle Lifestyle to have a dog.

I see homeless people with dogs all the time, and it doesn't cost them 100 bucks a month to take care of them.

Whatever, I'll see if I could figure out a way to get a dog and have it cybered up to just under a full point of Essence loss to avoid the -2 per full point of Essence loss modifier when issuing commands or training.Huh, Rating 1 cybereyes, Rating 1 Skilljack w/Rating 1 Linguasoft, and a Rating 5 implanted commlink comes to a grand total of 0.5 Essence loss and 32,000 nuyen.

Talking Dog Scout Buddy, here I come.

EDIT: Whoops, missed the part about linguasofts not exceeding the skilljack rating.

EDIT 2: Add in Rating 1 Muscle Augmentation and Muscle Toner and you come to 0.9 Essence loss and 95,000 nuyen. For a dog. :v:

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 15, 2013

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

dirtycajun posted:

Cybered out pet dog. Give it cerebral boosters and teach it to speak with an implanted com-link. Then mount a cybergun in it's face.

Who's a good boy?

The trauma triggers your awakening. Your dog returns to you as your Dog totem spirit.

Dog is not happy with the mean men.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

dirtycajun posted:

Who's a good boy?

Cybered out animals have a very strong tendency towards insanity in all the previous versions of SR I've played. This may be a positive or a negative thing. Generally, though, there's a lot of room for networked and otherwise improved animals. One of the books in 4th ed actually had a long section on animals and their interactions with tactical software and HUDs. Basically, there is a viable field of animal psychologists that figure out which visual/audio/tactile/smell stimulation can help a guard dog/hellhound/goose know how to avoid potential fields of fire, coordinate with security forces and attack vital locations.

P.S. I love Shadowrun. :fap:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

MilkmanLuke posted:

Cybered out animals have a very strong tendency towards insanity in all the previous versions of SR I've played. This may be a positive or a negative thing. Generally, though, there's a lot of room for networked and otherwise improved animals. One of the books in 4th ed actually had a long section on animals and their interactions with tactical software and HUDs. Basically, there is a viable field of animal psychologists that figure out which visual/audio/tactile/smell stimulation can help a guard dog/hellhound/goose know how to avoid potential fields of fire, coordinate with security forces and attack vital locations.

Of course there are rat things in Shadowrun. How could it be otherwise?

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

MilkmanLuke posted:

Depends on how much 'ware you put in them.

If you only put 0.9ESS worth (implanted commlink, rating 1 cybereyes, rating 1 skilljack (with linguasoft), and rating 2 cerebral boosters), you won't get the negative dice modifier regarding commands and training, and you won't even be close to dropping below 3ESS where the animal succumbs to cyberpsychosis. That's how I read it in Running Wild, at least.

Speaking of which, I just finished up the character sheets for Wyatt (the ex-dog cop) and Jake (the ex-cop dog), once I translate them to Diaghilev's sheet I'll edit this post and include links. I'd like to see what you guys think.

EDIT: VVVV Thanks, just did.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 16, 2013

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.

Doc Dee posted:

Speaking of which, I just finished up the character sheets for Wyatt (the ex-dog cop) and Jake (the ex-cop dog), once I translate them to Diaghilev's sheet I'll edit this post and include links. I'd like to see what you guys think.

Gotta open up the permissions if you want us to give 'em a once-over.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I can't find glass cutters in the gear. What do I do if I want to repel down a building face, cut a window, and slip in quiet?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For some reason glass cutters weren't in the 4E corebook either. They were in the gear supplement Arsenal though, costs 10 nuyen and has an Availability of 4 and has no special rules attached to it, it just cuts glass and has suction cups, etc. etc. I'd just use that for now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Generally if it's not in the book but has a real-world counterpart you can just use modern prices in nuyen.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

Bigass Moth posted:

Generally if it's not in the book but has a real-world counterpart you can just use modern prices in nuyen.

Which, if it's something simple like a glass cutter, you even don't need to even worry about because LIFESTYLE. Unless you're a goddamned hobo with Street. Then, gently caress you! You gotta buy that poo poo.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

I usually use about 2x modern prices; I've found it makes sense. I base this on the cost of booze according to the SR4 book vs the cost of booze in Seattle today and have never changed it. :v:

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

MilkmanLuke posted:

Which, if it's something simple like a glass cutter, you even don't need to even worry about because LIFESTYLE. Unless you're a goddamned hobo with Street. Then, gently caress you! You gotta buy that poo poo.

They just need to make NERPS (New Exciting Retail Products) a general thing you can buy in the book, and include everything from Glass Cutters to "DNA-Gone-Away!" brand cleaning wipes under that description. Doing something odd that it makes no sense to write up a particular tool etc for? Use your NERP.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Laphroaig posted:

They just need to make NERPS (New Exciting Retail Products) a general thing you can buy in the book, and include everything from Glass Cutters to "DNA-Gone-Away!" brand cleaning wipes under that description. Doing something odd that it makes no sense to write up a particular tool etc for? Use your NERP.

A guide to what gets handwaved at each level of lifestyle would probably be good too. Middle-class people probably won't sweat getting a taxi or a stock suit, and High probably means you don't sweat plane tickets either. Could be a good encouragement to get teams to buy Group Lifestyles (which are pretty sweet.)

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

A guide to what gets handwaved at each level of lifestyle would probably be good too. Middle-class people probably won't sweat getting a taxi or a stock suit, and High probably means you don't sweat plane tickets either. Could be a good encouragement to get teams to buy Group Lifestyles (which are pretty sweet.)

But that kind of depends on the backstory set up by the GM, doesn't it? Is the initial fixer putting together a random list, or are they hiring a TEAM?

idk, I feel like that kind of info would influence whether I would even bring up a group lifestyle.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

Doc Dee posted:

But that kind of depends on the backstory set up by the GM, doesn't it? Is the initial fixer putting together a random list, or are they hiring a TEAM?

idk, I feel like that kind of info would influence whether I would even bring up a group lifestyle.

Why wouldn't they want to hire a homo-erotic murder commune? Even in the 2070s, bigotry haunts us.:colbert:

In my games, I've only had pre-existing characters consider it after a few runs and I can only think of maybe 2 times ever that a group shacked up in a runner pad. Even then, it's as often as not just a good RP opportunity for Shadowrun odd couple shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I'd consider "a few (cost/100) purchases per month" gets handwaved away. Your Middle-class runner wants a glass cutter? A taxi ride? A nice-ish dinner and drinks? Fine. He wants a $1000 suit? Gonna have to pay for it.