Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Also slightly jarring is how frequently characters say "gentlemen" in his more recent books. In Unseen Academicals, Ridcully actually addresses the other faculty members as Gentlemen twice in the same paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister Roboto posted:

He showed signs of being able to "break character" far earlier in Jingo. Vimes was shocked to see his reserved butler sign up to KILL THEM KLATCHIAN ARSEHOLES drat YOU!

Yes but it was written much better, It was more subtle and even then his speech patterns were not as clumsy. Plus in Jingo it came off more as shouty angry middle aged drill sergeant rather than common as muck street thug which he once was a long time ago.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 6, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm not personally that bothered by it, though I missed the old Willikins being absolutely classy as he roasts dwarfs out of their mining tunnel with their own flamethrower. A missing good rather than a bad.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yes but it was written much better, It was more subtle and even then his speech patterns were not as clumsy. Plus in Jingo it came off more as shouty angry middle aged drill sergeant rather than common as muck street thug which he once was a long time ago.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, sadly. It's clear that Pratchett's editors aren't doing their jobs and shaving down the little rough bits that stick out. And it's a terrible tragedy, because you know why they can't be as critical anymore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To be fair, nobody wants to upset Terry Pratchett right now :smith:.

With a bit of editing Snuff would be a lot better than it currently is. I can cope, my brain just reworks the really off putting bits.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

That was the point I was making. His editors and friends aren't going to be as hard on someone they've worked with for so long and are seeing him suffering. Let the man enjoy his time while he can.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

SeanBeansShako posted:

With a bit of editing Snuff would be a lot better than it currently is. I can cope, my brain just reworks the really off putting bits.

Snuff is a lot better the second reading, for me at least. And is that jolly ol' Sergeant Jackrum in your avatar?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

Snuff is a lot better the second reading, for me at least. And is that jolly ol' Sergeant Jackrum in your avatar?

Yet it is. Slightly terrifying rendered in 3D.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Raising Steam "passenger list":

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"Sir"Harry King? Was he knighted in Snuff (which I haven't read yet), or did I just miss that somewhere?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
It's mentioned that he was knighted in Snuff, but to old friends in the privacy of his office he can be called Harry

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
What I want to know is what (if anything) he has to do with the railroad. Maybe they engineered the locomotives to run on methane. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

JerryLee posted:

What I want to know is what (if anything) he has to do with the railroad. Maybe they engineered the locomotives to run on methane. :v:

Or the fact that he supported Moist in either going Postal or Making Money (Can't remember which one.)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or the fact that he supported Moist in either going Postal or Making Money (Can't remember which one.)

He supports Adora Belle and William de Worde in The Truth when he 'accidentally' leaves a bundle of fresh paper that was heading to the Inquirer(?) unlocked in his yard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He supports the Bank during Making Money as well, helps give it a major confidence boost.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Having Fred Colon on board is going to make for some good laughs. I'm looking forward to it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

SeanBeansShako posted:

And to be fair, I would take Terry's worst books over the best of most fantasy authors' output nowadays. I enjoyed Snuff and Unseen Academicals a lot, even if they're not as amazing as some of his earlier stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh I finished it and aside from a few things (Young Sam being obsessed with poo got old extremely fast) it wasn't as bad as all the goon drama laid it out to be.

The 2nd time reading through should be a lot easier.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

I quite liked Snuff, even the first time through. Lady Sybil was entertaining and I like the Watch books in general. I need to read Dodger.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Dodger would actually have been a good Ankh-Morpork book.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

The Berzerker posted:

Having Fred Colon on board is going to make for some good laughs. I'm looking forward to it.

Fred was kind of a oval office in Snuff. I always thought of him as being basically a good person, if a little bent.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shelvocke posted:

Fred was kind of a oval office in Snuff. I always thought of him as being basically a good person, if a little bent.

Fred has always been a bit of a casual racist. This goes all the way back to Jingo where he's unknowingly ignorant about calling people ragheads.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Fred has always been a bit of a casual racist. This goes all the way back to Jingo where he's unknowingly ignorant about calling people ragheads.

It seemed the point of that in Jingo was that Fred was consciously trying to be racist, you know, get into the spirit of the times, and failing because it was against his nature.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Arbite posted:

It seemed the point of that in Jingo was that Fred was consciously trying to be racist, you know, get into the spirit of the times, and failing because it was against his nature.

No, because it was established earlier in Men At Arms that Fred, while not a bad man by any stretch, is still very ignorant and racist. Not the racism of malice or cruelty, but the casual racism of not really understanding differences or being educated to recognize how something can be offensive.

Example:

'Ha!' said Colon. 'As for you, Lance-Constable Cuddy—'
'Just can't get the hang of aiming, sergeant.'
'I thought dwarfs were famous for their skills in battle!'
'Yeah, but . . . not these skills,' said Cuddy.
'Ambush,' murmured Detritus.
Since he was a troll, the murmur bounced off distant buildings. Cuddy's beard bristled.
'You devious troll, I get my—'
'Well now,' said Sergeant Colon quickly, 'I think we'll stop training. You'll have to . . . sort of pick it up as you go along, all right?'
He sighed. He was not a cruel man, but he'd been either a soldier or a guard all his life, and he was feeling put-upon. Otherwise he wouldn't have said what he said next.
'I don't know, I really don't. Fighting among yourselves, smashing your own weapons . . . I mean, who do we think we're fooling? Now, it's nearly noon, you take a few hours off, we'll see you again tonight. If you think it's worth turning up.'
There was a spang! noise. Cuddy's crossbow had gone off in his hand. The bolt whiffled past Corporal Nobbs' ear and landed in the river, where it stuck.
'Sorry,' said Cuddy.
'Tsk, tsk,' said Sergeant Colon.
That was the worst part. It would have been better all round if he'd called the dwarf some names. It would have been better if he'd made it seem that Cuddy was worth an insult.
He turned around and walked off towards Pseudo-polis Yard.
They heard his muttered comment.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
It's part of his character arc in Jingo that after actually experiencing Klatch he stops being so bigoted. Even so, it's not out of the pale that he wouldn't particularly care for other non-human races, and it wouldn't be like he's the only character in Snuff to be acting weird. See also: Vimes, Willikins, probably a few others.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Fred Colon in the earlier books was the kind of casually-racist born-from-ignorance racist that's quite endemic in Britain. In Snuff he was practically an EDL member.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty much. It is really off.

Also, poor poor Cuddy :smith:.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Part of the problem is that a huge thread in Snuff is the fact that goblins are treated as vermin by absolutely everyone, even people who are normally pretty cool.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah, Terry missed a great chance to link the goblins to a previously-established "lesser" race: gnolls. They were the garbage-picking, homeless shambling messes that everyone looked down on, like Angua.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

dotster posted:

I quite liked Snuff, even the first time through. Lady Sybil was entertaining and I like the Watch books in general. I need to read Dodger.

Yeah, I liked it a lot too, even after binging through the rest of the watch books.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Down With People posted:

It's part of his character arc in Jingo that after actually experiencing Klatch he stops being so bigoted. Even so, it's not out of the pale that he wouldn't particularly care for other non-human races, and it wouldn't be like he's the only character in Snuff to be acting weird. See also: Vimes, Willikins, probably a few others.

Also, in The Fifth Elephant (which comes a few years after Jingo), when Colon has his breakdown from the pressure, he slips back into his old racist ways.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also part of the point of Colon is that he's too old and set in his ways to really change on a fundamental level. He'll learn one specific lesson and not really think to apply it in similar situations later down the line.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A handful of Discworld books are $1.99 on the Kindle store today.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Also part of the point of Colon is that he's too old and set in his ways to really change on a fundamental level. He'll learn one specific lesson and not really think to apply it in similar situations later down the line.

I think that is the key point - Colon is way out of his depth is a busy, multi-cultural metropolis. His attitudes are born more from ignorance and fear of change than any malicious intent.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

You got my hopes up to finally buy digital copies of all my favorites and it's only the first few novels that I never really liked :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope you Americans know how loving lucky you are, because those five books are $10 for you but about $43 for me in Australia. (Although that's still a bargain compared to the ~$100 you'd spend to get the five as paperbacks in bookstores here :shepicide:)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Hedrigall posted:

I hope you Americans know how loving lucky you are, because those five books are $10 for you but about $43 for me in Australia. (Although that's still a bargain compared to the ~$100 you'd spend to get the five as paperbacks in bookstores here :shepicide:)

We still have bookstores down here?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Yeah but don't you guys get the original Paul Kidby covers? We just get those gently caress ugly...things.
Way to spoil a major plot point of Men at Arms on the cover you fucks!

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Hedrigall posted:

If you have a kindle I'm pretty sure you can buy them by changing the country settings in your Amazon account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Crashbee posted:

If you have a kindle I'm pretty sure you can buy them by changing the country settings in your Amazon account.

You sure can. I got the new Rivers of London book the day it was out and I'm in Alabama.