Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Feeble posted:

Yeah but don't you guys get the original Paul Kidby covers? We just get those gently caress ugly...things.
Way to spoil a major plot point of Men at Arms on the cover you fucks!

Men at Arms had a Josh Kirby cover, as did every book up to Thief of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just finished The Long Earth and it wasn't that great. It was basically all premise, and very little plot.

I didn't completely buy into the premise that millions and millions of people would abandon their lives and technology to become subsistence farmers in the wilderness.

The plot didn't really start to develop until 200 pages in. The pacing of some things was way off too, especially the parts towards the ending. I'm more inclined to blame Baxter for this than Pratchett, because the characters were great, although the third main character doesn't have a notable presence until well past the halfway mark of the book.

I'm not inclined to read the next in the series.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Hedrigall posted:

I hope you Americans know how loving lucky you are, because those five books are $10 for you but about $43 for me in Australia. (Although that's still a bargain compared to the ~$100 you'd spend to get the five as paperbacks in bookstores here :shepicide:)

Dude just switch to a American address. All my kindle books are from the US store and I've had no trouble. To be extra safe I buy a gift card with my Australian account and redeem it under my US account. I have close to 20 books now, most purchased at heavily discounted prices because I have email notification on my wishlist the second something drops in price.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just finished The Long Earth and it wasn't that great. It was basically all premise, and very little plot.

I didn't completely buy into the premise that millions and millions of people would abandon their lives and technology to become subsistence farmers in the wilderness.

The plot didn't really start to develop until 200 pages in. The pacing of some things was way off too, especially the parts towards the ending. I'm more inclined to blame Baxter for this than Pratchett, because the characters were great, although the third main character doesn't have a notable presence until well past the halfway mark of the book.

I'm not inclined to read the next in the series.

This is exactly what I thought after reading it. It felt like the two of them agreed on the premise of 'what would our world be like if we could access infinite alternate earths?' but then completely failed to come up with an actual story to tell. They also managed to kill any tension by repeatedly pointing out that the main characters are never in any danger.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Feeble posted:

Yeah but don't you guys get the original Paul Kidby covers? We just get those gently caress ugly...things.
Way to spoil a major plot point of Men at Arms on the cover you fucks!

From pterry himself - "Hmm. We wondered about the cover 'giving away half the plot' and decided to go with it -- especially since Josh got the Gonne exactly right from the description. But I'd say it's pretty obvious VERY early in the book what sort of thing we're dealing with. That's what distinguishes a 'police procedural' from a mystery; after all, you know from the start whodunit in a Columbo plot, but the fun is watching him shuffle around solving it his way..."

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

Men at Arms had a Josh Kirby cover, as did every book up to Thief of Time.

Arrgh dammit. I knew I wasn't right about that. When I first thought of who did the covers I thought "Kirby" but then thought "wait, I thought it was Kidby, guess I'm just remembering wrong." It's not like I've ever even seen one IRL, which makes me sad.

Canuckistan posted:

From pterry himself - "Hmm. We wondered about the cover 'giving away half the plot' and decided to go with it -- especially since Josh got the Gonne exactly right from the description. But I'd say it's pretty obvious VERY early in the book what sort of thing we're dealing with. That's what distinguishes a 'police procedural' from a mystery; after all, you know from the start whodunit in a Columbo plot, but the fun is watching him shuffle around solving it his way..."
I dunno, I first read Men at Arms when I was like 14 and I get the feeling that the variant spelling combined with never pronouncing it out loud would probably have left me stumped until the book actually spelled it out. I'd probably pronounce "gone" right until I realized. I was kind of stupid at 14, you see...:rolleyes:

Edit: Now I really feel like I want to read through Men at Arms and see just how obvious it really is without the cover...

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 18, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Feeble posted:

Arrgh dammit. I knew I wasn't right about that. When I first thought of who did the covers I thought "Kirby" but then thought "wait, I thought it was Kidby, guess I'm just remembering wrong." It's not like I've ever even seen one IRL, which makes me sad.

I dunno, I first read Men at Arms when I was like 14 and I get the feeling that the variant spelling combined with never pronouncing it out loud would probably have left me stumped until the book actually spelled it out. I'd probably pronounce "gone" right until I realized. I was kind of stupid at 14, you see...:rolleyes:

Edit: Now I really feel like I want to read through Men at Arms and see just how obvious it really is without the cover...

It's not, actually. Terry goes out of his way to make it a strange alien "thing" until Vimes gets shot at, when the reader starts to understand.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Saw it coming once I saw the name personally. Besides, the big mystery driving the plot wasn't what did the killing, but who. Half the cast already know what the Gonne is from the start, and the other half have a pretty good guess.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Well, this is some welcome news. I hope this is an indication that his illness has slowed or plateaued, to make this kind of long-term commitment. If not, well, I suppose he has said that his daughter would take over.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

Well, this is some welcome news. I hope this is an indication that his illness has slowed or plateaued, to make this kind of long-term commitment. If not, well, I suppose he has said that his daughter would take over.
That's definitely encouraging. The illness of probably my favorite author is just one of those things that hangs around in the back of your mind no matter what you're doing :smith:

And he said Rhianna would take over for him? Never heard that before but it sounds like good news. I've played most of the video games she's written. She's definitely a very strong writer, I can say that much, but I haven't seen much to suggest that she possesses the same sort of humor as her dad. Then again if Eoin Colfer could do a fair job at continuing Douglas Adam's legacy it doesn't seem as unlikely that someone could follow in PTerry's footsteps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Feeble posted:

And he said Rhianna would take over for him? Never heard that before but it sounds like good news. I've played most of the video games she's written. She's definitely a very strong writer, I can say that much, but I haven't seen much to suggest that she possesses the same sort of humor as her dad.

As I said last year: Terry has said that when he and Rhianna were working together on prospective scripts for The Watch, he couldn't tell some of her writing apart from his own.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

As I said last year: Terry has said that when he and Rhianna were working together on prospective scripts for The Watch, he couldn't tell some of her writing apart from his own.
Well, I only found this thread like 3 days ago so it's understandable that I missed it. That's very good to know, though!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Feeble posted:

Well, I only found this thread like 3 days ago so it's understandable that I missed it. That's very good to know, though!

If you filter the thread for my posts, you'll find a full report of news from Discworld Convention 2012 on page 2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

I wonder if she's become involved with the Discworld writing/editing process at this point.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if she's become involved with the Discworld writing/editing process at this point.

I suspect yes.

In fact I wonder if the complaints about the change in writing style are actually just the growing pains of her easing into the role as a ghostwriter.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Speaking of The Watch, any news on that? Seems like it's been a bit.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Mister Roboto posted:

I suspect yes.

In fact I wonder if the complaints about the change in writing style are actually just the growing pains of her easing into the role as a ghostwriter.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see her credited with co-authorship in the not too distant future

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Something that makes me go hmm about discworld is that I got the implication that murders by the assasin's guild, if done by the book, are legal in AM. If that's the case why do the rich constantly hire their own, illegal assassin's so they can be charged with murder?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

bunnyofdoom posted:

Something that makes me go hmm about discworld is that I got the implication that murders by the assasin's guild, if done by the book, are legal in AM. If that's the case why do the rich constantly hire their own, illegal assassin's so they can be charged with murder?

Because the guild has a shitload of rules that they absolutely always follow. It's not particularly hard for someone who knows what they're doing and is willing to fight dirty to exploit those rules so that assassins don't stand a chance against them. Hell, Vimes started to enjoy it after a while.

Plus, the guild won't accept a contract on someone that they already have a contract on. Conflict of interest. So you might not be able to hire them to kill the specific person you want dead.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Stroth posted:

Because the guild has a shitload of rules that they absolutely always follow. It's not particularly hard for someone who knows what they're doing and is willing to fight dirty to exploit those rules so that assassins don't stand a chance against them. Hell, Vimes started to enjoy it after a while.

Plus, the guild won't accept a contract on someone that they already have a contract on. Conflict of interest. So you might not be able to hire them to kill the specific person you want dead.

In addition, I recall reading that they won't just kill anyone - a Guild assassin won't accept a contract on Bob the butcher, because he's just too poor and below-notice to be worth the trouble.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Also the assassins are really expensive and a mark of respect. Most Ankh-Morpork nobles probably aren't the sort to want either of those things.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Down With People posted:

In addition, I recall reading that they won't just kill anyone - a Guild assassin won't accept a contract on Bob the butcher, because he's just too poor and below-notice to be worth the trouble.

The target must be able to defend themselves*.

*Anybody making more than $n Ankh-Morpork dollars/year is automatically considered able to pay somebody to defend them.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Well that seems to imply that Bob the Butcher could be a target then, because he's capable of defending himself. At least, I assume he is, given that he swings massive blades into meat for most of the day.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Feeble posted:

Well that seems to imply that Bob the Butcher could be a target then, because he's capable of defending himself. At least, I assume he is, given that he swings massive blades into meat for most of the day.

It would be an insult to the Guild of Assassins to consider a mere tradesman on par with them. Contract rejected.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It would be an insult to the Guild of Assassins to consider a mere tradesman on par with them. Contract rejected.
Snooty buggers in all that black, think they're so impressive with their learning and whatnot. Just 'cause you know 50 ways to kill a man doesn't mean you're better than me, no sir it doesn't.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tunicate posted:

Which is what makes some of the stories with them so interesting; when they're hired, for instance, to knock of the Queen of the Beggars' Guild. Or Vimes. Although they're not actually accepting contracts on Vimes any more, IIRC - doesn't stop them using him for a training ground, though.

PaleFigure
Sep 3, 2007

the other white meat
Just finished Snuff a little while ago, and while I enjoyed it, I have to confess there were a few moments there that seemed to snag, and seem a bit un-Pratchetty. The biggest one is that, unless I'm just forgetful/mistaken, this is the first Discworld novel in which Death does not make a personal appearance?

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Which is what makes some of the stories with them so interesting; when they're hired, for instance, to knock of the Queen of the Beggars' Guild. Or Vimes. Although they're not actually accepting contracts on Vimes any more, IIRC - doesn't stop them using him for a training ground, though.

My understanding was that Vimes only started being an acceptable target once he had access to the Ramkin family fortune. Before that he was beneath the dignity/notice of the assassins guild.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Multiple factors in play really:
-The Guild leaves records, suffice to say that Vetinari probably has a good idea of what contracts are open. If you want to silence someone, a private thug might pass beneath notice and can be easily silenced in turn, whereas if you kill a Guild member to silence him after the job the Guild would take extreme notice.

-The Guild's rules make them pretty ineffective at killing anyone properly paranoid. Any pragmatist or paranoid who expects an Assassin can foil them.

-Suitable victims are limited. They mainly take contracts on notable targets, and really, given that most Assassins we've seen are some kind of noble, they don't usually need the job for the money. This, combined with the above, means the Assassins are mostly good for killing the typical noble.

-Cost. From what I can tell, a Guild contract is pretty expensive, whereas hiring some bloke who just smashes people on the head with a big stick is much much cheaper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PaleFigure posted:

Just finished Snuff a little while ago, and while I enjoyed it, I have to confess there were a few moments there that seemed to snag, and seem a bit un-Pratchetty. The biggest one is that, unless I'm just forgetful/mistaken, this is the first Discworld novel in which Death does not make a personal appearance?

Correct.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

PaleFigure posted:

this is the first Discworld novel in which Death does not make a personal appearance?

I hadn't noticed that. Might be worth a re-read to see what else I missed

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

PaleFigure posted:

I'm pretty sure he's not in The Wee Free Men.

Didn't some really rich people take out contracts on themselves so nobody else could? It doesn't really make sense thinking about it, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Segway Rave posted:

Didn't some really rich people take out contracts on themselves so nobody else could? It doesn't really make sense thinking about it, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

You may be thinking of 'Making Money'. Topsy took out a provisional contract on Moist, only to be activated if Mr. Fusspot dies of something other than natural causes. While this is obviously to force him into taking care of the dog and therefor the bank the dog owns, Vetinari does note that it also keeps the other Lavish's from take out a contract on Moist.

Down With People posted:

not exactly true. Nobby nobbs and The Duckman both have contracts on them. The Duckman has a very large contract on him in fact. But no self respecting assassin would actually take the contract, it's just to pathetic a target.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 22, 2013

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

To be fair I can understand not wanting to kill Nobby. I feel like after you did that blade would just never really feel clean ever again, no matter how many times you scrub it.

Also, refresh my memory: Duckman is, I assume, that nice fellow with a duck on his head who hangs out with foul ol' Ron?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Feeble posted:

Also, refresh my memory: Duckman is, I assume, that nice fellow with a duck on his head who hangs out with foul ol' Ron?

He is. Someone want's him dead to the tune of 132,000 AMD.

And as for Nobby, there is that. But also, you'd really piss off Vimes if you did.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 22, 2013

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Stroth posted:

He is. Someone want's him dead to the tune of 132,000 AMD.
That much?! Jeez, I don't remember which book that was from. Duckman's prolly got a dark and mysterious past.

Stroth posted:

And as for Nobby, there is that. But also, you'd really piss off Vimes if you did.
So what you're saying is Vimes'd go spare :ohdear:!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

PaleFigure posted:

Wee Free Men was the first non-appearance. Also, his appearance in The Colour of Magic may actually be Scrofula.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't seem to recall any part of Snuff where we followed a character who died on the spot during some point in the book.

Wait, I might be wrong. One of the River pirates did die I think?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't seem to recall any part of Snuff where we followed a character who died on the spot during some point in the book.

Wait, I might be wrong. One of the River pirates did die I think?

Could argue that since they were not "important" deaths, Death didn't turn up for the usual pomp and circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stroth posted:

not exactly true. Nobby nobbs and The Duckman both have contracts on them. The Duckman has a very large contract on him in fact. But no self respecting assassin would actually take the contract, it's just to pathetic a target.

Wait, they do? Which books were those in?