Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So this kind of made me tear up a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFSfWT0ScAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Terminal Entropy posted:

Not even reminiscent, it always seemed pretty explicit:

And going back into the swing talk, would make the swing shown be along the lines of development.

Thsi isn't a woman, it's a middle-aged man. The sandpit's the mouth, the swing and frames are the nose and mouth. The trees are his hair and the lack of trees in the middle is his receding hairline, and the hills are a hat he's wearing to hide his baldness, or perhaps a combover. This is our only good look at Shinji's "sensei", the guy who was looking after him before he came to Tokyo-3.

I've never noticed that similarity before and I think it chimes with the swing, which is moving when Shinji builds the pyramid, stops, and starts again in Instrumentality, so its movement seems to correspond to Shinji's emotional development.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

He only ever cared for Chiyo-chan.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
How many times are we going to loop from discussion we've talked about to videos we've already posted.
Truly, You can (not) Advance. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Requesting the thread to be re-titled to: Shinji, you suck. Get in the robot.

Who else has read the (old rear end, at least in internet terms) Thumbnail Theatre version of Eva? It's pretty much a super-condensed summary of all the episodes with some humor thrown in.

Episode 1: Angel Attack! posted:

Sachiel: Grrr. Smash! Kill! Kill!

Shinji: Gee, how unfortunate that I've been summoned to Tokyo 3 just in time to be squished by a big alien monster. Thanks so much for that, dad.

Misato: Hi, Shinji! I'm your new mentor, and a convenient deus ex machina device! Get in the car and let's go!

Shinji: That... is a really big robot. Big and purple.

Unit-01: Hi, Shinji, I'm your new alien-stomping mech suit, and a convenient symbol for your id.

Gendo: Shinji, you suck. Get in the robot.

Sachiel: Crush! Rend! Maim! Kill!

Shinji: Oh father, you've broken my poor sulky angst-ridden teenage heart yet again.

Gendo: You suck. Go away. Rei, get in the robot.

Rei: Ow, moan, ouch, sob.

Shinji: I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away!

Shinji: OK, let's go.

Misato: Go Shinji! Don't die!

Amusingly, since it's been re-hosted on at least 3 different sites since it was first put up, all of the actual thumbnail images which accompanied each line have vanished. And since it's been more than ten years since I found it, I'm not guaranteeing it's as funny as I remember, but hey I figure some of you might not have seen it before.

Thumbnail Theatre presents Evangelion

Edit: Oh man, he did End of Eva too, I had no idea!

quote:

Asuka: God, Shinji. Even with the rest of our lives alone together, I still don't have enough time to describe how much you suck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Every time you make a low-effort Eva parody where the punchline is "Shinji sucks" Anno kills Kaworu.

Please, think of the Kaworus!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's the original low effort Eva parody thank you very much. :colbert:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
If we're doing title changes I vote for SHINJI YOU FUCKER

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'd honestly go more for "FATHER YOU NEVER LOVED ME" or "Cleaning tonsils with your tongue IS a motherly thing to do in NGE!" :v:

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
I was just in Osaka for my honeymoon and, completely by accident, stumbled onto the Eva X Swords exhibition. Special eva/plug suit themed swords, real world versions of Eva weapons (prog knife etc) and a frankly incredible ~10 foot long Lance of Longinus.

It was really loving rad. I accidentally spent about 200 bucks on artbooks and whatnot.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Oh god that Thumbnail Theatre reminded me of... this gem.
http://www.gabe-e.com/gendo/
:froggonk:

e: requesting thread title change to Gendo Ikari: Pretty Fly for a NERV Guy

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

If you guys are serious about the thread title, you'll have to ask Zorak;* I can't change it. If I could, I'd've changed the tag to "Goon Meet" already.

*This may or may not be a good idea.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, I was in no way whatsoever serious about a title change! I just like that line from that silly parody. And for the record, I don't think that Shinji sucks, a lot of people in the show sure seem to enjoy telling him that he does though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you're going to be changing the thread title, then also make the tag the "NO YOU SHUT UP DAD" one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread: Just keep trying until you get it right.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

Oh, I was in no way whatsoever serious about a title change! I just like that line from that silly parody. And for the record, I don't think that Shinji sucks, a lot of people in the show sure seem to enjoy telling him that he does though.

I wasn't pissed off or anything, but some people might not have known - it's not obvious or intuitive that the OP can edit the OP but not title or tag.

Rewatched EoE again the other day. I enjoyed the earlier parts (with the UN attack) much more than I remembered - the first few times I thought they were basically a long prologue to the (surprisingly short) Third Impact sequence, but this time around I got a lot more from the character interaction and really less from Instrumentality. There's a few things I'd never noticed, like the hospital scene being a "reply" to the episode 26 AU (Asuka wakes up Shinji and he's got a pissproud) and the humans = Angels theme. And one of the things crippling Shinji seems to be his guilt over the hospital scene and his inability to cope. The bit where he hides under the stairwell is his equivalent of Asuka's bathtub. I really wish it would get a re-release over here.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One part of EoE that's just :stare: for me is when the mass production evangelions are landing, one of them lands right on top of a JSDF soldier trying to help a wounded comrade. It's almost impossible to see it unless you're looking for it, though, because it happens so fast and the guys are practically the same color as the ground.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

If we're actually doing title changes, the name should be You Can (Not) Repost.

Also, you guys are missing the best video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wvr3chxAEgI

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Neon Genesis Evangelion: I Feel Sick

Don't be talking poo poo about the OG low effort Eva parody, Tux.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

MadRhetoric posted:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I Feel Sick

Don't be talking poo poo about the OG low effort Eva parody, Tux.

Neon Genesis Evangelion:(cicada noises)

EDIT: Or Neon Genesis Evangelion: The 19 year Spurge continues

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 27, 2013

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
youtube time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCtEjnfSGa4

this one actually works surprisingly well

e: oh yeah toonami is playing 2.22 tonight at 11, if you want to :tviv: it.

Dred Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 31, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Evangelion AMVs just keep coming.

House Louse posted:

Thsi isn't a woman, it's a middle-aged man. The sandpit's the mouth, the swing and frames are the nose and mouth. The trees are his hair and the lack of trees in the middle is his receding hairline, and the hills are a hat he's wearing to hide his baldness, or perhaps a combover. This is our only good look at Shinji's "sensei", the guy who was looking after him before he came to Tokyo-3.

I've never noticed that similarity before and I think it chimes with the swing, which is moving when Shinji builds the pyramid, stops, and starts again in Instrumentality, so its movement seems to correspond to Shinji's emotional development.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Wow, an EVA thread!

I looked and looked and looked and I guess I am blind.

Anyway--I've just seen 3.0.

Does anyone else get a really strange feeling while watching EVA media? The events that take place are filled with purely terrifying imagery. The scene that sticks in my mind most from Rebuild 3 is the scene where Kaworu and Shinji are looking over the remains of the world, covered in reds and blues and purples. I couldn't stop saying "what the gently caress."

That being said, NGE has some of the coolest-looking apocalypses ever. But I like that, instead of the fiery reds and oranges that most end-of-world storytellers tend to use, Anno and his people, they like some technicolor apocalypses, with lots of purples and reds.

Anyway, that's my spiel.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Whew, finally finished it. Well, the series anyway, I'll get to EoE in a bit I guess. As a person suffering from depression it was pretty weird and amazing to see a lot of my same issues and thoughts presented in crazy anime form. Does EoE try to change or rewrite the ending or does it complement the existing ending well?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
There's really no solid answer to that question. It is all really a matter of what you interpret it to mean. Some people think the endings are the absolute antithesis of each other, others think that both directly tie into each other. For what it's worth, I think they complement each other pretty well, but you'll definitely have to watch it to see what you think.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013

HondaCivet posted:

Whew, finally finished it. Well, the series anyway, I'll get to EoE in a bit I guess. As a person suffering from depression it was pretty weird and amazing to see a lot of my same issues and thoughts presented in crazy anime form. Does EoE try to change or rewrite the ending or does it complement the existing ending well?

Short answer: both.

Long answer: many of the events that were implied in the original ending are made explicit in EoE. However, the tone of the endings are VERY different - EoE is much bleaker and more distressing than the TV ending. This shift in tone makes some people think that they're depicting alternate outcomes of the same event, but honestly the TV ending is vague enough that it could fit into almost any interpretation.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My personal dilemma is whether or not Shinji's self-actualisation at the end of the TV ending is real, temporary, or completely ephemeral.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

My personal dilemma is whether or not Shinji's self-actualisation at the end of the TV ending is real, temporary, or completely ephemeral.

I'm gonna go with "incomplete."

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
It's both and neither, because the TV series ends with Shinji accepting Instrumentality to become free of suffering but ultimately unfulfilled, while EoE ends with Shinji (spoilers for our new friend) rejecting Instrumentality, because he "understands" that the human experience is defined by measuring pain against pleasure and loving with the figures until you come out ahead; to surrender at this point would be a cowardly display in the face of his fallen comrades, plus maybe this time he can finally talk to Asuka without being a total gently caress-up OOPS NO HE CAN'T.

In either case, Rebuild happens for some reason and all these poor souls are dragged back for an extra round or twenty. It will, of course, end by revealing that Mari has been Haruhi the entire time, and we get a full hour of English dubbed RomComGelion. Then she takes a nap and the whole universe explodes and the closing shot is the same as the opening shot from the TV series. I'll take my check now, Anno.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

HondaCivet posted:

Lemme put it this way: the series ending is when you have a moment of clarity and realize how badly your condition is hurting you, and vow to fix it.

EoE is the inevitable moment a week later when your poo poo falls apart again and you feel worse than you did to begin with.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
And then you try and fix everything by turning everyone into tang.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Lemme put it this way: the series ending is when you have a moment of clarity and realize how badly your condition is hurting you, and vow to fix it.

EoE is the inevitable moment a week later when your poo poo falls apart again and you feel worse than you did to begin with.

See this guy gets it. They're oppositional but not exclusive.

Personally I'd rephrase EoE as "the moment where you realize exactly how long and hard the road is going to be" rather than falling apart but then again I'm just a fountain of boundless optimism. :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If EoE had ended on "But mother, what will I do now?" instead of One More Finale, I think it would have fairly positive overall (for Shinji at least).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paracelsus posted:

If EoE had ended on "But mother, what will I do now?" instead of One More Finale, I think it would have fairly positive overall (for Shinji at least).

I think that then the ending would have been more similar to the ending of the series, in that it's not very affirmative in what Shinji actually does, but just what he thinks. At the end of EoE he actually comes back out of the sea of LCL, and I think this action speaks more strongly than him just hearing from his mom that people can do it. Shinji actually coming "back to life" or whatever is an action of his that shows that he wants things to get better.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

And then he actually does do a little better, not much better but he does it and that's what makes EoE truly optimistic. There are so many stories that shy away from showing a broken character fixing themselves, so it's great that Eva took a step in that direction. Any fool can think "Yep, as long as the sun, the moon, and the stars exist, every little thing's gonna be all right" but living is hard for people like Shinji. Do I need to go back on my meds?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Soho Joe posted:

It's both and neither, because the TV series ends with Shinji accepting Instrumentality to become free of suffering but ultimately unfulfilled,

Gonna have to disagree with you there considering how long the TV ending goes on about the importance of knowing and accepting yourself and the need for boundaries and individual perspectives to give meaning to existence. All of which Shinji embraces in the end and all of which is all pretty much the antithesis of Instrumentality.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See this guy gets it. They're oppositional but not exclusive.

Personally I'd rephrase EoE as "the moment where you realize exactly how long and hard the road is going to be" rather than falling apart but then again I'm just a fountain of boundless optimism. :v:

Rebuild 4.0 is two hours of Shinji periodically visiting a therapist interspersed with domestic scenes in which he applies coping techniques for his crippling social anxieties and slowly builds himself up into a self actualized human being. Fans demand to know why Shinji is still a pussy and doesn't just man up and kill his depression in hand to hand combat.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

cafel posted:

Rebuild 4.0 is two hours of Shinji periodically visiting a therapist interspersed with domestic scenes in which he applies coping techniques for his crippling social anxieties and slowly builds himself up into a self actualized human being. Fans demand to know why Shinji is still a pussy and doesn't just man up and kill his depression in hand to hand combat.

That would unironically be my favorite movie ever

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

HondaCivet posted:

It's sorta the same ending but from a different perspective (external events rather than just stuff in Shinji's head), but EoE is much more brutal and dark than pretty much anything found in the anime series. You might have noticed a dramatic decline in the animation quality of NGE towards the end, which was the result of serious budget problems that let them to cut corners. I've heard it said that EoE is what they "meant" to have as the last two episodes, then they turned it into a colossal mindfuck.

Have fun with EoE. Also do your best to watch it alone with nobody else around to pop in a glance, which could prove rather embarrassing at certain points (like that hospital scene). People who have seen the movie know what I'm talking about.

House Louse posted:

And then he actually does do a little better, not much better but he does it and that's what makes EoE truly optimistic. There are so many stories that shy away from showing a broken character fixing themselves, so it's great that Eva took a step in that direction. Any fool can think "Yep, as long as the sun, the moon, and the stars exist, every little thing's gonna be all right" but living is hard for people like Shinji. Do I need to go back on my meds?

Going to have to disagree with you on that. I didn't find EoE very optimistic at all. Since we have a newbie lurking around, i'm gonna cover this up: Perhaps it's just the fact that pretty much all of humanity is violently killed off and civilization completely ruined that prevents me from seeing anything positive about how EoE ends. I find it to be one of the darkest endings I've ever seen, actually.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pay attention to what Yui says about tangification. Humanity is only dead if they don't wish to return.

It's not until Rebuild that humanity is actually wiped out! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pay attention to what Yui says about tangification. Humanity is only dead if they don't wish to return.

It's not until Rebuild that humanity is actually wiped out! :getin:

I do remember that part, and that is a bit positive. As I said, perhaps I mistakenly see it as dark because of the earlier events of the film, which are pretty loving brutal and see most of the cast get killed off. I don't think anyone can argue with that.