Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Random Stranger posted:

The real question is what happens to Mr. Scruffy.

They have a Druid Awaken him, he serves as Belkar's replacement. Housecat Barbarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Random Stranger posted:

The same thing that's been happening to him, as well as V's familiar-- the rest of the party doesn't pay any attention to him whatsoever. He'll continue showing up in situations and backgrounds where the reader notices him, but nobody else in the party does.

:smith:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

wdarkk posted:

They have a Druid Awaken him, he serves as Belkar's replacement. Housecat Barbarian.

What is Mr. Scruffy and Belkar get into a terrible Teleport accident, and get merged together into one being?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

The same thing that's been happening to him, as well as V's familiar-- the rest of the party doesn't pay any attention to him whatsoever. He'll continue showing up in situations and backgrounds where the reader notices him, but nobody else in the party does.

:smith:

Or V might take care of a both, as a kindness to Belkar for his likely heroic sacrifice. :unsmith:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is Mr. Scruffy and Belkar get into a terrible Teleport accident, and get merged together into one being?

Mister Belky likes his milk and tuna.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Belkar getting reincarnated as a Kobold would be hilarious.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Belkar will probably die doing a heroic and alignment-shattering deed along with the Scruffernator and end up in some CG afterlife with Shojo, Scruffs, a ton of baking implements/fish, and all the time in the world to chill. I'd refuse a res too if that were my eternal reward.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Leper Colon V posted:

I want this. I want this so that Roy can realize that Belkar was genuinely reforming, that he was wishing for the little guy to die, and to have a crisis about what that means about him.

I think you're selling Roy short. During this mini-siege in the desert, Roy has consistently made Belkar's survival his first priority, with the survival of the rest of the group following close behind. Roy isn't the same person he was when he abandoned Elan, and what happened earlier in the pyramid was Roy's grief speaking.

Roy doesn't like Belkar, but he isn't a heartless taskmaster.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, for Belkar I am completely anticipating it to be played straight. People are looking for a way out and the prophecy is set up that way, but the twist will be that there is no twist. Belkar dies and then the team spends the last book dealing with stuff without him.

This is my feeling too. He's done an expert (seriously, it's been masterful) job of making us care about the little bastard, so it will actually hurt when he dies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a provision for animal companions of rangers sticking around/keeping their levels and usefulness after death?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Nope! Class features have no rights.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Oh yeah, what ever happened to Belkar's riding dog?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Zogundar posted:

Oh yeah, what ever happened to Belkar's riding dog?

Élan reminded the group, as they left Azure City, that everyone except Durkon left their mounts behind when Miko chained them up. They then vanished instantly, as is standard.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Y'all wrong it's obvious mr scruffy is really a shapechanged silver dragon. He will show his true form to belkar at midnight in the woods, they will make sweet love and the next day they will sacrifice themselves in the final battle. It's how these stories always work.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mystic Mongol posted:

Nope! Class features have no rights.

There was on Wizards.com an online article about familiars of dead wizards/sorcerers. They kept their familiar abilities (minus mental link to master, of course) as if they were the familiar of a master two levels lower.

Nothing about animal companions/paladin mounts, but I suppose the same rule could be adapted to them too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
New Strip

Seems that Tarquin's buddies don't care much for his metagaming either at this point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh yeah.

Wizard.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

New Strip

Seems that Tarquin's buddies don't care much for his metagaming either at this point.

They seem a lot less puppety or controlled then I thought. They fully aware that tarquin loves story structures and controlling people. And opted out of things without consequences. Maybe tarquin is not the ruthless controller that he has lead on to be. What if he is the Elan of the party? :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

W.T. Fits posted:

New Strip

The way that Laurin carried a bit of a torch for Malack is pretty :3:

Also, is this the first time we've gotten some of those names for Tarquin's crew?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Leper Colon V posted:

Oh yeah.

Wizard.

Wizardsindungeonsanddragons.jpeg

Fakedit: Apparently Rich saves his strips in .gif files but oh well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FMguru posted:

Also, is this the first time we've gotten some of those names for Tarquin's crew?

Jacinda (Who must be the catgirl) was one of the two we did not have a name for. We knew who both Laurin and Miron were prior to this. Mirion was name dropped hundreds of strips ago and we found out who he was back we Tarquin first explained his plan. We learned Laurin's name several strips ago.

The only one we don't know the name of is the fighter like guy.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 26, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shwqa posted:

They seem a lot less puppety or controlled then I thought. They fully aware that tarquin loves story structures and controlling people. And opted out of things without consequences. Maybe tarquin is not the ruthless controller that he has lead on to be. What if he is the Elan of the party? :v:

Hmmm. You may be onto something there. Hell, that's kinda implied by the Malack/V dialogue back in the throne room, you know?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Jacinda (Who must be the catgirl) was the only one we did not have a name for.

Have we got a name for spiky warrior guy yet?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

God, and we're (eventually) getting stories about Therkla and the loving Cliffport PD as opposed to these guys? Laurin and Miron have shown more character in the last 5 strips than the Cliffport dudes did in their entire lengthy arc.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bear in mind that Tarquin considered Malack not just a teammate and ally but a friend. I don't think he's the boss of this group, if there is one.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Soup du Jour posted:

God, and we're (eventually) getting stories about Therkla and the loving Cliffport PD as opposed to these guys? Laurin and Miron have shown more character in the last 5 strips than the Cliffport dudes did in their entire lengthy arc.

I'm actually looking forward to the Cliffport PD story- I dig police procedurals, and I like the idea of "what would this look like in a high fantasy setting?" combined with them. I'm also not sure Laurin and Miron were even characters yet when the Kickstarter happened.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jng2058 posted:

Have we got a name for spiky warrior guy yet?

I remembered him right after posting and corrected it. We don't know his name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm also not sure Laurin and Miron were even characters yet when the Kickstarter happened.

Miron was at least. We just did not know who he was.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FMguru posted:

Indeed. I also like how she cuts off Tarquin in panel five and underscores once again that while he may understand narrative structure, he fails to understand people.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
If this eventually leads to those two turning on and killing Tarquin, I'm cool with it. To be honest I would be cool with him accidentally slipping down stairs and breaking his neck. As long as he dies. On screen or off. Just get rid of him.

I have really, really gotten tired of him and his whole story structure schtick

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

World Famous Whore posted:

I have really, really gotten tired of him and his whole story structure schtick
I'm certainly sick of his stupid story structure shtick.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

W.T. Fits posted:

Indeed. I also like how she cuts off Tarquin in panel five and underscores once again that while he may understand narrative structure, he fails to understand people.

Or, for that matter, game mechanics, if he thought this was going to be "a tragic execution scene".

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Could it be that all of Tarquin's evil monologues and evil plans are actually an act of compensating for the years spent as the comic relief of his party?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I know (maybe) two things about D&D. So the little, colored bubbles around Laurin's head makes me think that she's drunk, per traditional comic usage of bubbles-around-the-head to signify an altered state. Not that she's D&D special (or a certain class or something).

I like it better this way.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Green Crayons posted:

I know (maybe) two things about D&D. So the little, colored bubbles around Laurin's head makes me think that she's drunk, per traditional comic usage of bubbles-around-the-head to signify an altered state. Not that she's D&D special (or a certain class or something).

I like it better this way.

Now you know three things. Ioun stones are wondrous items that don't use up an item slot, making them fairly popular. They're not necessarily psionic in nature, but since Psions tend to use crystals and telekinesis they're a natural fit for her.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rauri posted:

Now you know three things. Ioun stones are wondrous items that don't use up an item slot, making them fairly popular. They're not necessarily psionic in nature, but since Psions tend to use crystals and telekinesis they're a natural fit for her.

So, Laurin has a spell absorber spinning around her head while there's a wizard on a rampage nearby? There's a gun hanging on the wall and it's about to fire.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I get the impression of Tarquin being sort of first among equals. The party generally listens to his guidance, but they're also free to tell him to gently caress off if they think he's screwing around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

my dad posted:

So, Laurin has a spell absorber spinning around her head while there's a wizard on a rampage nearby? There's a gun hanging on the wall and it's about to fire.

Its pretty unlikely she has a spell absorbtion Ioun stone, they're rare and have severe limitations so most people stick with the other kinds.

Plus she's not getting involved unless V and the Order do something tremendously stupid.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Shwqa posted:

To be fair, he is a fighter in a high level party.

Rauri posted:

I could have sworn that ioun stones either take up your head slot, or you can't have more than one active at a time. It's been years since I've touched 3E, though.

e: Nevermind, I was misremembering that they all granted overpriced enhancement bonuses to stats, so that line wasn't too useful.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

inthesto posted:

To be fair, he is a fighter in a high level party.
Nah, he was a fighter in a party at some point in the past. When he first discusses the "scheme", he gets the band back together and sells them all on the idea. That sort of implies they don't think he's a moron. The vibe I'm getting is he's kinda kooky and they know it, which he pretty evidently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

inthesto posted:

I could have sworn that ioun stones either take up your head slot, or you can't have more than one active at a time. It's been years since I've touched 3E, though.

In the hort stories from where they come, they're never used alone. IIRC there's even a wizard who is especially impressive because of the huge swarm of IOUN stones orbiting his head. Of course they've kinda changed a bit in the transition from Vance's IOUN stones to Gygax's Ioun stones; but at least in the pen-and-paper RPG there's never been (up to 3.5e, I am fully ignorant of all things 4e and later) a slot limit on how many you can use at a time.