Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Goons hate Mondo? Can someone explain? I thought Mondo was like the Criterion Collection of posters. Last time I checked goons loved Tyler Stout.

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

eminkey2003 posted:

Goons hate Mondo? Can someone explain? I thought Mondo was like the Criterion Collection of posters.

They look like garbage. They look lie a computer generated tracings with two colors that never fit the movie.

E: Tyler Stout was kinda an early adapter of the style that Mondo has run into the ground. Tyler Stout was new and neat, but he is a one trick pony and people quickly grew tired of him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

eminkey2003 posted:

Goons hate Mondo? Can someone explain? I thought Mondo was like the Criterion Collection of posters. Last time I checked goons loved Tyler Stout.

They look like poo poo, doesn't take that much explanation.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Is it just Tyler Stout though? But... people used to rave about him!

e: I still think they look gorgeous, but if all they ever do is Stout-style, that's no fun. It's consistently good but not as traditional as Drew Struzan, or as wild as Polish posters.

eminkey2003 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 4, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

eminkey2003 posted:

It's consistently good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of people are also unhappy about the whole false scarcity thing they do where they don't print very many and then never do reprints. So unless you're extremely lucky to get one right when they go on sale you're basically stuck paying out the rear end to a scalper.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Mondo puts out really pretty posters every once and awhile but they cost way too much since the first (only) run gets snapped up by scalpers in 20 seconds.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

eminkey2003 posted:

Goons used to love The Boondock Saints and Family Guy too.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

eminkey2003 posted:

Is it just Tyler Stout though? But... people used to rave about him!

e: I still think they look gorgeous, but if all they ever do is Stout-style, that's no fun. It's consistently good but not as traditional as Drew Struzan, or as wild as Polish posters.

I LIKE THE ROBOCOP ON ROBOCOP ON MURPHY ACTION GOING ON RIGHT THERE! :byodood:

Also, is that Dick Jones?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

A lot of people are also unhappy about the whole false scarcity thing they do where they don't print very many and then never do reprints. So unless you're extremely lucky to get one right when they go on sale you're basically stuck paying out the rear end to a scalper.

Understandable and fine with screen prints (which would also legitimise their limited palette).
It's absolutely a dick move intended to make it 'so super duper special' to own one when machine printing is being used and making them to order is very much an option.

Their artists talent leans more towards mediocre and only looks noteworthy because the only things we tend to see otherwise are the contractually destroyed unimaginative floating head official posters and the babby's first photoshop minimalist fan posters.

Note to Mondo: doing the polar opposite of minimalist posters isn't significantly better.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Understandable and fine with screen prints (which would also legitimise their limited palette).
It's absolutely a dick move intended to make it 'so super duper special' to own one when machine printing is being used and making them to order is very much an option.

99% of their posters are screen printed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eminkey2003 posted:

SMG said he didn't like Mondo posters one time and welp

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alouicious posted:

Nope, some of the posters are just ugly. I think this topic is full of goons over reacting to posters but that doesn't change the fact that while some Mondo posters are enat, alot of them are really ugly and the false shortages they create are dumb.

I mean maybe SMG also doesn't like them but I've also never even seen him post in here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sad lions posted:

Their artists talent leans more towards mediocre and only looks noteworthy because the only things we tend to see otherwise are the contractually destroyed unimaginative floating head official posters and the babby's first photoshop minimalist fan posters.

Note to Mondo: doing the polar opposite of minimalist posters isn't significantly better.

They're well aware of how quickly their posters sell out, and when you're setup to screen print something once you can make as many as you want, so the artificial scarcity thing is absolutely a real thing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ghostpilot posted:

The Cinema Snob review this one a few weeks back and it's every bit as awful as that poster suggests. Shockingly it has Jeffery Tambor (George Bluth of Arrested Development fame) as Dracula! :aaa:

I voluntarily watched the sequel more than once as a kid, and I don't remember all that much about it other than it looked like it was shot on a camcorder over a weekend. It's one of those abysmal films you watch when you're sick at home from school and don't really feel well enough to watch something that'll give you any kind of emotional response. It just... exists.

Anyway, here's the box art:

Somebody bothered to draw that. And they might've even got paid for it.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Mister Chief posted:

99% of their posters are screen printed.

I didn't actually know this. I assumed they were digitally printed. That would be why they tend to have a limited color palette. I have several friends who do screenprinting, and from what I understand anything more than 2 or 3 colors is just a nightmare.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dreadnought posted:

I didn't actually know this. I assumed they were digitally printed. That would be why they tend to have a limited color palette. I have several friends who do screenprinting, and from what I understand anything more than 2 or 3 colors is just a nightmare.

Yep, but you can add more of a color palate to even 4-color work by using dithering and using Ben-Day dots. Color separation is still a major thing in printing and can be used with almost anything, be it screenprinting, lithographs, etc.

Still, digital printers are probably the best bet, since giclée prints are fairly common place these days.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Mondo's good posters just make their bad posters look even worse. And as much as I hate most of them (and I have been bitched at for being one of "those guys" in this thread about them, so I have bitched plenty), a lot of what makes them look so terrible is that so many of them are almost good. I've seen rendering styles that were interesting, but they were used in compositions that were cluttered and impossible to decipher. Fonts that were unreadable. Slavish devotion to a style that doesn't fit the movie they're doing a piece for at all.

I get this impression that if they had a creative director who just said "No, this sucks, start over" once in a while, their output could be amazing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alouicious posted:

This time it wasn't SMG, it was just some random dude. I remember it. Someone posted a Tyler Stout poster, and the first opinion about it posted was a mocking one, like "oh, look at all the squiggly lines. Is that $wrongactor?" Then, goons being goons, the people who disliked Stout posters and had never voiced their opinions decided they must be right, someone has spoken out about it, and now is the time for a revolution. The discussion became dominated with Mondo hate, with people hand picking the worst posters they could from the library to point and laugh at and making bold claims about the limited artistry of abstract representation. By now the Mondo-likers were gone, hiding in the space previously occupied by the haters. I think it happened because of Sleeping Dogs; a lot of people were angry about a movie poster-exclusive artist branching out into such a low medium as GTA-like box art, so they opted to switch sides.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

This time it wasn't SMG, it was just some random dude. I remember it. Someone posted a Tyler Stout poster, and the first opinion about it posted was a mocking one, like "oh, look at all the squiggly lines. Is that $wrongactor?" Then, goons being goons, the people who disliked Stout posters and had never voiced their opinions decided they must be right, someone has spoken out about it, and now is the time for a revolution. The discussion became dominated with Mondo hate, with people hand picking the worst posters they could from the library to point and laugh at and making bold claims about the limited artistry of abstract representation. By now the Mondo-likers were gone, hiding in the space previously occupied by the haters. I think it happened because of Sleeping Dogs; a lot of people were angry about a movie poster-exclusive artist branching out into such a low medium as GTA-like box art, so they opted to switch sides.

Haha what dude, maybe some people just don't like the style/art in some of those posters. Everyone's got their own perspective and art is subjective as hell, it doesn't have to be part of some secret lurker bandwagon mixed with secret subliminal hate for videogames.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I've had opinions my entire life. They're often contrary to the popular ones of the time.

By your logic, this all began when I didn't like SPLATT! or some other popular comic book artist in the 90's. It was all part of the plan to rope me into the Mondo hating cult 20 years later! Image Comics planted the seed!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Posting about posting about posters. Wow. Just, wow.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mondo sucks because they tend to apply one of 2-3 styles they have to all movies.

Anyway, there are new movies out, one of which has some bad posters: https://www.google.com/search?site=...294.UEu45duO0rQ

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

King Vidiot posted:

Somebody bothered to draw that. And they might've even got paid for it.

It's Gahan Wilson, so he absolutely got paid for it. The guy was a published cartoonist for over 50 years.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'm not sure how anyone thought this was a good idea.

But then I found this screenshot so dunno is it a comedy?

Edit : Oh, no, it's just really really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfBW6xZNVB4

I had to look up the director on The IMDB just to make sure this wasn't another Uwe Boll movie.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 4, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I've posted about that before. It's a movie based on Viking myth but shot almost entirely in Malaysia by a Malaysian company for less than $10 million (in US dollars). The writer and actors are all non-Malaysian though.

Knowing the trend in the US, they really should've made a horror movie if they want to make money there. The Malaysian film industry was until recently swamped by local horror movies.

edit:
VVV Old poster, actually. It gets a limited US release 4 October.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 4, 2013

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

frozenpeas posted:

I do like the 'In Production' rather than a release date. As if it was whipped up as a reassurance to investors.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

frozenpeas posted:

Wait, is it being made by a hotel chain?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phone posting so I'm not sure if the resolution on these got butchered, but I'm loving these American Hustle posters.

Jeremy Renner :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lordy Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence :swoon:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hello Lawrence and Adams!

Bale is playing Les Grossman in this movie, right? Renner is pretty unrecognizable too.

Canned Panda posted:

Wait, is it being made by a hotel chain?

And a low-cost airline. Corporate sponsorship is common for Malaysian movies. The market is small so filmmakers need all the money they can get.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Christian Bale is Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder in American Hustle.

Jeremy Renner is Sean Penn in All the Kings Men in American Hustle.

Jennifer Lawrence is Kate Hudson in Almost Famous in American Hustle.

Amy Adams is Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge! in American Hustle.

:v:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

This is the first time I've really noticed this, but Amy Adams looks A LOT like Kristen Wiig.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Goddamnit I can't not see Bradley Cooper's off-kilter eyes now.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That reminds me, did anyone here see Blood Ties, the 70s era flick with Clive Owen and Billy Crudup?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That reminds me, did anyone here see Blood Ties, the 70s era flick with Clive Owen and Billy Crudup?

Ha, I faintly remembered that movie and figured these were the posters for it.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Goddamnit I can't not see Bradley Cooper's off-kilter eyes now.

He should have kids with Shannon Doherty, that should even things out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Phone posting so I'm not sure if the resolution on these got butchered, but I'm loving these American Hustle posters.

Jeremy Renner :allears:

That sure is a David O Russell film, written by David O Russell and directed by David O Russell. David O Russell. David O Russell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So here's the Mexican poster for The Butler.

Sweet jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I will never get over John Cusack as Richard Nixon. I guess Alan Rickman as Reagan was even worse though while James Marsden was a really good Kennedy.