Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I don't even know how to deal with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Over-Time will be subbing Kamen Rider Gaim. I am very pleased by this, it'll be the first Rider series I follow as it releases.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rei_ posted:

I don't even know how to deal with this.
Orange you glad it didn't look as bad as everyone thought? :)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Raw's up on Overtime, and I dunno, I liked it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Over-Time will be subbing Kamen Rider Gaim. I am very pleased by this, it'll be the first Rider series I follow as it releases.

They've done every rider since W and every sentai since Gokai, are you actually surprised? I know that they might hypothetically drop a series if its awful but it hasn't really happened yet with either of the yearly Toei shows.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I do hope someone picks up Gouraigan, since I am always a fan of more Keita Amemiya work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

So glad they did Fourze (my own first). I'm not sure I'd have been into it with bad subs.
Subs are to be expected around Monday, right?

Three episodes of Kabuto left. Kyoryuger will probably not be down by then, but that's what all the other stuff I have is for.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

They've done every rider since W and every sentai since Gokai, are you actually surprised? I know that they might hypothetically drop a series if its awful but it hasn't really happened yet with either of the yearly Toei shows.

By their own admission, they had no concrete plans to sub Gaim until watching the first episode. While I'm not surprised, I'm relieved.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
Finished Hibiki: the show has so much charisma I don't even know. Call them awkward camera angles I don't care, I'll take the entirety of them and the strange ideas and monsters and musical moments over the dull soap opera\drama tone of the 00's Kamen Rider (holy poo poo Blade, you stink!).

And now, onto Kabuto!

jonjonaug posted:

[...] an incredibly awesome episode that had a young girl going around wreaking havoc all over the town that also had actually good guest acting and a fight scene I really got into. This show is really great, I think I'm in love.

Might it be... Nic CageMami chan?

I too have fond memories of Black but worry not, Black RX is even better. You have a lot of good times ahead of you.
Man, I miss the times when Kamen Riders where just humans transformed into robots to fight evil organizations :allears:

ruttivendolo fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ruttivendolo posted:

Finished Hibiki: the show has so much charisma I don't even know. Call them awkward camera angles I don't care, I'll take the entirety of them and the strange ideas and monsters and musical moments over the dull soap opera\drama tone of the 00's Kamen Rider (holy poo poo Blade, you stink!).

Hibiki still remains my favorite Rider series, even if it does become a vastly different (and less good) show after episode 30. I really wish I could go to an alternate dimension where I could see how the original staff would have finished it.

Glad to hear OT is subbing Gaim though. I figured they probably would, but I was admittedly a bit concerned if they decided not to.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'll have to have subs to make better sense of it, but I get a kind of Kuuga-y vibe off Gaim's first ep, which is pretty neat. The dance/Pokemon battles are pretty neatly intertwined, there was at least one scene that was purely Urobuchi (the one where the two guys were talking and they handed off a Sengoku Driver.) and all and all it looked pretty drat great.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I couldn't stand Hibiki because that kid, I got my hopes up when it looked like he was going to go away but then he came back so I stopped watching.
At least that is what I remember when I tried to watch it.

Gaim seems pretty cool from the first episode, hope it will get more Urobuchi later.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

OT isn't doing Gaim. Magenta is though, so I guess we'll soon know where that's going to be at.

If this means Shinkenger, Dekaranger and Timeranger get more time put into them this isn't bad

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Christ I hope we don't get stuck with TV Nihon as the only on time sub group... one thing I really like about Over-Time was how quick they got things out there.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Burkion posted:

Christ I hope we don't get stuck with TV Nihon as the only on time sub group... one thing I really like about Over-Time was how quick they got things out there.

Magenta did Go-Busters and that was pretty on time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HKR posted:

OT isn't doing Gaim. Magenta is though, so I guess we'll soon know where that's going to be at.

If this means Shinkenger, Dekaranger and Timeranger get more time put into them this isn't bad

Shinkenger and Timeranger are already translated, as he said in the post you linked.

edit: removed stupid joke spoilers from quote

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 7, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Shinkenger and Timeranger are already translated, as he said in the post you linked.

edit: removed stupid joke spoilers from quote

You still have stuff like typesetting and timing to do, right?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HKR posted:

Well isn't that egg on my face... Still, the sub group is made up of a lot of the same people, just using a different website. Makes it easier for me actually since I was planning on skipping Gaim, now I won't be taunted with weekly reminders.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Finished Kabuto yesterday. That was a good one, really enjoyed it. Definitely a change from W and Fourze (the only ones I have watched aside from Kabuto). Tendou managed to be a cocky rear end in a top hat, but also back it up with his skills and prowess.

HKR posted:

Quote from the link itself:

To those confused, the series will still be picked up, just not by Over-Time’s main translator. (And not just TV-N) In place, the series will be done by Magenta (as mentioned in the very first sentence of this post), who you may know as the translator for our Go-Busters subs. This will be done under the Aesir Subs name, their site is here.

So basically it's gonna be subbed by Aesir. Haven't seen any of their stuff, but Magenta has always struck me as pretty cool, and a good translator so I'm hopeful.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Serperoth posted:

So basically it's gonna be subbed by Aesir. Haven't seen any of their stuff, but Magenta has always struck me as pretty cool, and a good translator so I'm hopeful.

As mentioned in the first paragraph, Magenta and the Aesir crew did their own release of Fourze concurrent with O-T's Fourze releases (which, naturally, had HeatMetal on them). I kind of liked Heat's overall translation of the dialogue better, but Magenta's ability to nail character voices is second to none, such as using the royal we for... Aries, I think it was? Which was utterly perfect.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
You guys realize that paragraph you two are talking about wasn't there until at least half an hour after the post went up, right? And that's when HKR linked it.

One of these days we need to get Mags and Alkaid accounts here. It can be a party. A goony party.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AzraelNewtype posted:

You guys realize that paragraph you two are talking about wasn't there until at least half an hour after the post went up, right? And that's when HKR linked it.

One of these days we need to get Mags and Alkaid accounts here. It can be a party. A goony party.

Yeah I saw it's an edit, that's why I posted it. I gotta say, if it hadn't been for that edit, I'd have been kinda confused so it was good of them to clarify.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

AzraelNewtype posted:

I wasn't talking about the edited paragraph, I was talking about the original post where Heat mentions the concurrent Fourze runs between Aesir and O-T.

C'mon, Az, get with the program. :colbert:

Edit: Though I'll agree we need to get Mag and Alkaid accounts for full on toku goonparty.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
It's Superhero Gaim!

Sambadinos 32
Fruit Samurai Bugmen 01

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That metafile.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, how soon until the first utterly insane theory for Aruceid Mai?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
First episode of Gaim was pretty fun. Nice "newbie Rider figuring things out" fight, protagonist seems okay, the world is pretty interesting and the breakdance/Pokemon battle warring stage stuff seems to work okay so far but we'll see if it continues to all work together as the show goes on.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I think I had to pause and laugh for a good 30 seconds at (Kyoryu) Get dunked!.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I was pretty surprised how despite the ridiculous premise, Gaim so far seems to have a good promise. Urobuchi seems to also be giving the theme of adulthood another shot so it should be interesting.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

After the first episode, I'm not really liking Gaim so far. It's not even the weird fruit theme or street dancing, which were the two parts I was most wary of going in. Kouta just isn't that interesting of a character, the Sengoku Driver looks even worse in action being just a plain black hunk of plastic. None of the side characters feel like they're engaging me, either. The dual worlds gimmick isn't explored enough outside of 'pokemon battles' and 'the mysterious girl looks just like his friend!' both of which fell flat due to being given very short amounts of screen time. Overused concepts that could be interesting and compelling, but are just thrown at us with a bunch of characters and setting explanation, like it's hoping that something will stick

Overall, it reminds me most of Blade and Ryuuki in terms of just the first episodes of those shows, but without anything that makes me want to follow along. I'm going to give it at least two more episodes, but it may be the first Rider series that I've watched since starting to follow the currently airing shows (so, since OOOs) that I drop, unless something interesting makes me give it a second look.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I made a thread for Gaim chat cause I liked the first episode quite a bit and am looking forward to more.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Uhhh, I'm not sure you should have done that. Day to day discussion in this thread is about one third current sentai, one third current rider and one third old stuff. Its not like Garo where there is a different userbase.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, splitting off Rider chat from this thread doesn't seem like a great idea. The currently airing Sentai and Rider series makes up the bulk of this thread, with little bits of the older shows, plus other related stuff every now and again.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The dancing in Gaim is some of the laziest choreography I've ever seen. Other than that, fun times.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Cliff Racer posted:

Uhhh, I'm not sure you should have done that. Day to day discussion in this thread is about one third current sentai, one third current rider and one third old stuff. Its not like Garo where there is a different userbase.

Clearly now our only response is to start a Kyoryuger thread, reducing this one to once-fortnightly posts about Showa Riders and/or Denjiman.

Seriously, jonjonaug, there's no need to further clutter things with an un-needed thread that will ultimately get less traffic than this one, which is steady but never on fire with posts or anything. You wrote a good OP, though; ask someone to copy it into this thread's OP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I had a really good time with the first episode. It actually felt kinda Gundam? It's strange, but I already feel more of a connection to Kouta than Haruto, and in the first episode even we're not introduced to him as an unkillable monster-slayer but someone actually learning how to use all of his new tools. Very interesting stuff, in the first episode they laid some pretty solid foundations to tie all of these strange concepts together.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kouta seems like he has some potential and room for character growth as a guy unsatisfied with his current life and going through growing pains over what it means to be an adult. I can sorta see the Gundam vibe there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I really liked that he had to figure out how everything worked on the fly. It's also nice that he seems to have actual personality and goals. It's a welcome change from Wizard, who had none of these qualities.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be seeing it tonight, but it kind of sounds a lot like Kuuga to me. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that or not. Kuuga is a very...unique Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The first episode has a very Kuuga vibe, and I'd say that Kouta is current shaping up to be a sort of balance of Gentarou and Godai.

I'm looking forward to following this week to week. It's gonna be a lot of fun.

• Locked thread