Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Possibly an interesting idea -- has anyone ever proposed apportioning house districts based on population alone? A lot of these districts abut fairly awkwardly against the state borders. I assume two people just on either side of a state border have more in common than with the people in their respective state capitals.

Of course that would probably mean people in, say, Wyoming would be divided among something like south Idaho, west Dakota, and north Colorado and Utah, but in general I'd think this might make a more equitable division of people, with representatives of actual geographic areas, rather than only subsets of states. With the way culture tends to accumulate according to number of people, I'd think these representatives' constituents might be more homogeneous than in the current system.

The really interesting part would be redistricting. Who would draw up districts if not state legislatures? The Feds? That could make it harder to gerrymander, compared to dominated state legislatures. At the same time, removing state borders removes the greatest limit on gerrymandering capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Map of the world during WWI according to Japan.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

What money would Quebec use? The livre? The louis?

They'd revert back to the original Canadian currency: beaver skins :canada:.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
'

3peat
May 6, 2010

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Finland knows what the important things in life are.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:stonklol:
Some of those labels are brutal!
edit: Also nice fully Indian Kashmir.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 19, 2013

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The really interesting part would be redistricting. Who would draw up districts if not state legislatures? The Feds? That could make it harder to gerrymander, compared to dominated state legislatures. At the same time, removing state borders removes the greatest limit on gerrymandering capabilities.

Iowa has a neutral legislative committe draw up maps, which the legislature can accept or reject. It seems to work quite well. None of Iowa's districts has a Cook PVI of more than 5 points for either party, which is remarkable.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Emanuel Collective posted:

Iowa has a neutral legislative committe draw up maps, which the legislature can accept or reject. It seems to work quite well. None of Iowa's districts has a Cook PVI of more than 5 points for either party, which is remarkable.

I don't understand how a guy like Steve King stays in office.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Now make it all per capita. :colbert:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Some of it's per capita. Unless we are to believe that Qatar has the highest GDP in the world.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I like how Burma leads the world in "Speaking Burmese."

And does it really count for Britain to lead in "Fascist Movements" if none of them really go anywhere?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ammat The Ankh posted:

And does it really count for Britain to lead in "Fascist Movements" if none of them really go anywhere?

I guess that how they work, the more you have the less it works.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tractor fanatic posted:

Some of it's per capita. Unless we are to believe that Qatar has the highest GDP in the world.
A lot of it is I think, which just serves to confuse the ones that aren't, like the US with its Nobel laureates. Looking at the per capita numbers on wikipedia, the US only comes in at number 15. (Though that includes the whiny-economists-want-an-award-too "Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences".)

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Edible Hat posted:

I don't understand how a guy like Steve King stays in office.

He was initially elected in 2002 as the representative for IA-5. This was a new district for that 2002 election, and as Emanuel Collective explained it was drawn by a non-partisan commission on geographic and population lines. The result was a vertical strip across the westernmost 1/5 of the state. This area of Iowa is overwhelmingly rural and politically hyper-conservative, so this district was R+30 from the word go, probably one of the reddest in the USA. Also, as a new district, it had no incumbent and was an open seat. A bunch of different Republicans ran in the primary and none of them was able to win enough votes to carry the primary, which forced a nominating convention that finally selected Steve King by a narrow margin. The state Republican Party organization tends towards middle-of-the-road business conservatives (like the current governor), so they weren't fully behind him, but he got through it. He obviously cruised through the general, and until 2012 he enjoyed incumbency in a totally Republican district.

Iowa lost a House seat in 2010 census and the reapportionment committee changed the outline of the district as it morphed into the new IA-4. The result was basically to set the state into quarters, with IA-1 and IA-2 on the east side carrying about a D+10 advantage and IA-3 and IA-4 on the west side carrying R+10. Roughly. It's actually kind of interesting case of how even a strictly geographic process can produce noncompetitive districts. Anyway, King was able to win again in 2012, though by a much lower margin than previous. The Democratic challenger in 2012 was unusually strong so he'll probably win that seat as long as he wants to keep it. King is also one of the most right-wing politicians in the country, up there with Michelle Bachmann, so he's invulnerable to primary challenge in the current environment. The only thing I can think of that could derail his career is if he somehow hosed up the farm bill and his constituents didn't get their subsidies.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Also apparently Lithuania doesn't lead in anything; which I'm sure is wrong :colbert:

(spent a month there this summer; really nice place that's given me a liking for Kvass...)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Lithuania leads in suicide rates, or used to.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If I was Lithuanian I'd try to end it all too.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What are the criteria used to determine Ireland's leadership in "Quality of Life"?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Why does Greece have Thrace in that map?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A whole bunch (but not all) of the former Yugoslav republics don't have anything listed either, same with chunks of Africa and almost the entire Carribean.

The Ireland having the best Quality of Life doesn't sound right, either.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Kavak posted:

What are the criteria used to determine Ireland's leadership in "Quality of Life"?
Looks like it was ripped straight from the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2005 Quality-of-life Index.

Something tells me that's changed a lot since the Irish housing bubble burst.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

HookShot posted:

A whole bunch (but not all) of the former Yugoslav republics don't have anything listed either, same with chunks of Africa and almost the entire Carribean.

The Ireland having the best Quality of Life doesn't sound right, either.

I think it amy be slightly out of date, I think before the 08 crash Ireland did have a inflated quality of life.

EFB with proof.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"Maple Syrup and Asteroid Impacts" sounds like the title of a music album I don't know the genre of.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

lonelywurm posted:

Looks like it was ripped straight from the Economist Intelligence Unit's 2005 Quality-of-life Index.

quote:

The survey uses nine quality of life factors to determine a nation's score.[1] They are listed below including the indicators used to represent these factors:

1. Health: Life expectancy at birth (in years). Source: US Census Bureau
2. Family life: Divorce rate (per 1,000 population), converted into index of 1 (lowest divorce rates) to 5 (highest). Sources: UN; Euromonitor
3. Community life: Variable taking value 1 if country has either high rate of church attendance or trade-union membership; zero otherwise. Source: World Values Survey
4. Material well being: GDP per person, at PPP in $. Source: Economist Intelligence Unit
5. Political stability and security: Political stability and security ratings. Source: Economist Intelligence Unit
6. Climate and geography: Latitude, to distinguish between warmer and colder climates. Source: CIA World Factbook
7. Job security: Unemployment rate (%.) Source: Economist Intelligence Unit
8. Political freedom: Average of indexes of political and civil liberties. Scale of 1 (completely free) to 7 (unfree). Source: Freedom House
9. Gender equality: Measured using ratio of average male and female earnings. Source: UNDP Human Development Report

haha yeah cause low divorce rates are objectively better right

And what the hell does climate have to do with anything?

Also seriously mystified by Greece in that map. I don't see any other odd borders unless you count a couple of territory disputes. On the site he even says he made some corrections to borders :crossarms:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lonelywurm posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_Index posted:

1. Health: Life expectancy at birth (in years). Source: US Census Bureau
2. Family life: Divorce rate (per 1,000 population), converted into index of 1 (lowest divorce rates) to 5 (highest).
3. Community life: Variable taking value 1 if country has either high rate of church attendance or trade-union membership; zero otherwise.
4. Material well being: GDP per person, at PPP in $.
5. Political stability and security: Political stability and security ratings.
6. Climate and geography: Latitude, to distinguish between warmer and colder climates.
7. Job security: Unemployment rate (%.)
8. Political freedom: Average of indexes of political and civil liberties. Scale of 1 (completely free) to 7 (unfree).
9. Gender equality: Measured using ratio of average male and female earnings.

Cultural prohibitions against divorce finally paying off.

EDIT: God dammit

PrinceRandom posted:

Why does Greece have Thrace in that map?

There's a bunch of other little things I've noticed, Tajikistan has taken over Wakhan in Afghanistan, Armenia has Nakhchivan and the borders of Brunei and South Sudan look wonky as hell.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 19, 2013

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Emanuel Collective posted:

What stops the dominating party from just refusing to accept any map that isn't pro-dominating party? There's clearly no longer a taboo on holding up government in order to obtain a political advantage.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
I highly doubt that that world map is accurate in anything at all.

For instance in Portugal we have one of the highest High School drop-out rates in the whole Europe (about 50%).

Also Lithuania is not a dreadful place at all.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

For instance in Portugal we have one of the highest High School drop-out rates in the whole Europe (about 50%).

Novas Oportunidades :v:

I need feminism because way too many people are uncreative at babbynaming.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

What stops the dominating party from just refusing to accept any map that isn't pro-dominating party? There's clearly no longer a taboo on holding up government in order to obtain a political advantage.

Better the devil you know. If the map is rejected, then it just goes back to the same non-partisan agency using the same data, who will produce a substantially similar map, which may or may not put you in a slightly less favorable district. Plus, if the legislature simply refuses to vote for a map, then the Iowan Supreme Court is given the power to implement the map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What exactly does it mean to be first in Gun Control (Tunisia)? Fewest weapon per capita (I doubt that)? Did they get a constitution lawyer to analyze legislative boundaries on gun ownership in all countries?

Also, I'm pretty sure Moldova doesn't have the highest level of alcohol consumption. It's clearly basd on Wikipedia which changes the top ranking country every few months. Not too long ago, it was the Czech republic. Now it's Moldova. I'd bet that in reality it's one of the many African countries with rampant moonshine industry.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

steinrokkan posted:

What exactly does it mean to be first in Gun Control (Tunisia)? Fewest weapon per capita (I doubt that)? Did they get a constitution lawyer to analyze legislative boundaries on gun ownership in all countries?

It's number of guns per capita yes.

Almost all the list is taken from Wikipedia articles interpreted with varying levels of reliability so I wouldn't take it overly seriously (e.g. the British "fascist movements" one is just taken from the fact that the Wikipedia list of fascist movements happens to have the most entries in Britain).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It is an arbitrary map mostly created for entertainment value.

KoldPT posted:

This is a good map. I like the sharp contrast between the Jennifer and the Jessica era.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

That's the case at the federal level but not at the state level. As an Iowan, my sense is that the party that refused to accept the non-partisan reapportionment system would be punished by the electorate. In any case, Iowa might be home to some firebrands like Steve King but it's very close to 50-50 D:R, and the state-level parties are tend to be moderate. The main leader of the reactionary movement in Iowa is a guy named Bob Vander Plaats, and he's tried to run for governor three different times, each time getting stuffed in the primary by a more moderate candidate with better ties to the business establishment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KoldPT posted:

I'm actually shocked that Ava made a minor comeback recently.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

This is a good map. I like the sharp contrast between the Jennifer and the Jessica era.
Does anyone know what this was caused by?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KoldPT posted:

This is a super interesting map, and for some reason it's really surprising to me that naming trends actually follow patterns like this. I particularly like how Jessica and Ashley fought a desperate struggle for dominance after Jennifer's 1970s reign of terror, only to be stabbed in the back by Emily once the late 90s rolled around.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
Alsace post here if anyone's still curious.

For reference, I'm an american and my grandad left the place in 1946 (guess why), but I have family there and am familiar with it. So take what I says as parroting my grandpa's and dad's views, basically, since I wasn't there fifty or a hundred years ago. Modern alsatians, for their part, are mostly normal frenchmen, not all that different than any other save for the idiosyncracies you'd expect, just like in Toulouse or Brittany. German/alsatian fare is offered at restaurants and such and for obvious reasons, german is the biggest foreign language after english, but the days of Alsace as a germanically-cultured place are gone. The most you'll get are jokes about how they'd probably better off in the Bundesrepublik or what-have-you, like how New Englanders will joke about leaving the south behind and joining Canada. Politically, alsatians to me seem a lot like southerners, more likely than average to be fiercely patriotic to France, and it votes very right-wing.

Anyway, I don't know exactly how Schleswig-Holstein or Poland were administered but Alsace-Lorraine was the Kaiserreich's one-and-only (I think) Reichsland. While the rest of Germany proper was a sort of convoluted federation, retaining the old monarchs and whatnot, Reichsland Elsass-Lothringen was administered directly from Berlin. Bismarck, wise man that he was, had not even wanted to annex the province, knowing the trouble it would cause with France, but to appease germans who wanted territorial expansion and generals who wanted a buffer zone west of the Rhine, he acquiesced. This was not something that had any popular demand in Alsace itself-by this point it was, if not culturally, established politically as french.

The conquest really hadn't been all that bad on Alsace. It started in the Thirty Years' War and was consolidated, more or less, by 1700. But things weren't bad-alsatian protestants were not persecuted, for example, while those in other parts of France were, and there was free trade with neighboring Baden. Many alsatians were even allowed to leave and, ironically, became german colonists in the east.The people of Strasbourg stormed the local garrison following the Bastille and La Marseillaise was even composed there, and it wasn't until the 19th century that the french language started to be officially enforced.

So in 1871, despite being "german", Alsace had to be governed differently. The french language, which by that point had been the language of instruction in schools for almost a lifetime, was banned in favor of german, and germans from other provinces were encouraged to settle there. Some 100 to 150 thousand alsatians left for France and Algeria. Note that there was a difference between the german and french language policies-the french government in the 19th century had tried to spread french, but it did not overtly oppress german in the way that the Reichsland did french. Some estimates are that by 1914, a mere fifty years past, only 5-10% of alsatians were french-speakers.

In 1911 it was finally granted a local government, but this was still an imperial governor-style arrangement rather than the local rule of the average german province.

When the war happened, alsatians were drafted, but only ever sent to the navy or to the east. In 1917 when german troops were being shuffled westward, alsatians were separated from their units and cordoned off together in train stations, barred from fighting the Entente in the west. Apparently at some places these groups, frustrated at being separated from their comrades, even broke out into spontaneous pro-french protests. (At this point Germany was pretty unstable everywhere but the western front line). Alsatians in the navy and the east engaged happily in the revolution, and of course, the Kaiser fell.

From what I gather, independence was the most popular path for Alsace, followed by annexation by France. Germany was mostly supported by the aforementioned post-1871 colonists. My grandpa, a teenager at the time, wasn't affected by the soviet councils at all. He lived in a small northern town (the hometown of Guy Sajer, author of "The Forgotten Soldier", incidentally). My personal view is that an independent Alsace would've been nice but at the time it wasn't viable. Had things gone differently I imagine it would be successful today, right next to the lovely Benelux countries and all. But ultimately, there wasn't a viable independence government. There was the soviet councils (which I personally think were alright but obviously these were looked at with caution by a lot of people) and the german local government. Neither was a great option.

The social democrats sent a letter to France asking them to occupy Alsace, and, unsurprisingly, France did so. French troops were usually greeted warmly. Picture the scene of Easy Company walking through Eindhoven in Band of Brothers. People in general were not fans of the german rule even if annexation wasn't what they wanted, and France was perceived as a free and liberal state.

After the war, of course, things weren't all peachy. All the families who had immigrated between 1871 and 1918 from other parts of Germany were expelled (even those who married locals-they had to choose whether to split the family or take the locals with them) and the german language, over the next 50 years, was suppressed. My grandpa and his brother, born in the 20s, went into the Wehrmacht speaking broken german. But it wasn't the same sort of heavy-handed rule. Laws passed between 1871 and 1914 were often not applied to Alsace, which I think contributes to its modern conservatism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_law_in_Alsace-Moselle

The point I make, which I've had to make often to a lot of folks on less educated forums, is that despite its culture Alsace is very much a french region and was even in 1871. There's a lot of people in the anglophone world who fetishize pre-war Germany as some glorious, united nation of honor and blah blah blah, and coming from a family quite literally torn apart by that sort of imperialism and militarism, it bothers me.

EDIT: writing this reminded me, I'm going to post my family's World War stories in the GBS thread, if anyone wants to hear about them.

EDIT2: A fun side-effect of my grandad's immigrating, and the fact that from birth to age 13 the only french or german speaking I ever did was to my dad, grandpa, and alsatian-german speaking grandma is that whe I travel I sound a lot more like an alsatian country bumpkin than most of the actual modern alsatians. I also have an extremely hard time understanding the québécois I interact with living in Canada.

thecolorpurple fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 20, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KoldPT posted:

I like that you can tell exactly when Twilight got popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

computer parts posted:

I like that you can tell exactly when Twilight got popular.

Also that I can finally blame the overwhelming number of Jennifers I have to deal with on Utah. That's where it all began, it seems.