Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
If you ever find yourself in dire financial straits, sell everything you own for a fraction of what it's worth. If you have anything but a poop-bucket and a bag of beans in your house, you obviously don't need government assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I agree with the posters. How can a person who has a mop bucket possibly need to be on welfare? Get a job, bum! Maybe one involving a mop, you already have the bucket

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

myron cope posted:

I agree with the posters. How can a person who has a mop bucket possibly need to be on welfare? Get a job, bum! Maybe one involving a mop, you already have the bucket

I'm a college educated white guy making a great salary, and I don't even have a commercial mop bucket or a popcorn machine. This is ridiculous!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

myron cope posted:

Someone pointed that out and that's where the "she probably stole it" comment came from.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

So she stole it from her workplace? Even better!!

My point was that that was a poor choice of phots to use for garnering sympathy for the poor welfare recipients that are going to have to make do with less. (Just like I have to do when I get a pay cut for actually working).

This is just depressing. Your enemy is not the other poor person!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UtinniOnTheRocks posted:

So scathing! I can't wait to hear the story about the Obama supporter who thought the box of Frosted Flakes was supposed to be a puzzle of a tiger.

Who the gently caress keeps a can of bread dough in their car for 5 years?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fulchrum posted:

Who the gently caress keeps a can of bread dough in their car for 5 years?

Blonde liberal Obama voters.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
But, you see, selling the mop bucket and popcorn machine could get her, oh, 5 bucks at a garage sale. She can put that money towards rice and beans.

Just not microwave popcorn, because she should sell her microwave too, if she had one.

Oh, and that exact pencil case is .50 during back to school sales at Target.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
A Republican woman also got hit by a surprise biscuit bomb. She drew her concealed weapon and shot three people in self defense!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nyquil hangover posted:

If you ever find yourself in dire financial straits, sell everything you own for a fraction of what it's worth. If you have anything but a poop-bucket and a bag of beans in your house, you obviously don't need government assistance.

myron cope posted:

Snowman Crossing posted:

I'm a college educated white guy making a great salary, and I don't even have a commercial mop bucket or a popcorn machine. This is ridiculous!

These posts are indistinguishable from genuine comments most of my Oklahoman and non-Austin Texan friends put on Facebook.

Please. I come here to get away from all that
:negative:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VitalSigns posted:

These posts are indistinguishable from genuine comments most of my Oklahoman and non-Austin Texan friends put on Facebook.

Please. I come here to get away from all that
:negative:
I got an argument almost identical to the first one from some Israeli libertarian. He knows about growing up in want, his parents immigrated to Israel and got an immigration grant worked themselves up from bootstraps, raising him in a country with decent social services that only seriously started eroding when he was probably already graduating from highschool, including mandatory maternity leave and state-subsidized post-natal carewith their own gumption. Just because he works in the Israeli high-tech sector doesn't mean he's completely detached from the reality of being poor in America!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

quote:

Well its Halloween and therefore a great opportunity to teach your kids about the American economic system and taxes. Take half of their candy and give it to kids who don't have as much or didn't trick or treat to begin with. When they complain tell them its the fault of the people who gave them the candy for being greedy and not giving them more!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Sardine Wit posted:

This is just depressing. Your enemy is not the other poor person!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

That must be the problem here. All of these conservatives were literally just never taught to share by their parents. They are disgusted by the thought of children sharing candy.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Cool. I've learned a new phrase. :)

I remembered the study where they asked people, "Would you rather make $12/hr but your neighbor make $10/hr, or make $15 but your neighbor make $20." The majority responded with the former.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nyarai posted:

I remembered the study where they asked people, "Would you rather make $12/hr but your neighbor make $10/hr, or make $15 but your neighbor make $20." The majority responded with the former.

Wait, what? That makes literally zero sense. Why would you ever choose to be worse off overall just so you can be better off than your neighbor?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Dirty Job posted:

Wait, what? That makes literally zero sense. Why would you ever choose to be worse off overall just so you can be better off than your neighbor?

People don't want more than they have as much as they want more than everyone else has.

And some people don't understand how inflation actually works.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Dirty Job posted:

Humans are petty, hateful shits.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dirty Job posted:

Because lots of people are dumb and would rather win than be better off but not win.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Nyarai posted:

Does anyone have a link to this study?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

Does anyone have a link to this study?

Seconding this request. I just want to link it every time I see someone on Facebook say people are rational actors with no other commentary.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dirty Job posted:

GODAMNIT SON DON'T YOU HAVE ANY PRIDE!!! YOU GOTTA BE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE OR YOU'RE NOTHIN! NOTHIN, i TELL YOU!!

Something to that effect.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Seconding this request. I just want to link it every time I see someone on Facebook say people are rational actors with no other commentary.

Get ready to argue against a bunch of people claiming this is rational because of inflation.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Gen. Ripper posted:

Humans are petty, hateful shits.

rkajdi posted:

Because lots of people are dumb

While these things may well be true, I think you are all assuming that 'higher income = better quality of life, whatever the nature of one's social relationships' much too easily. I am pretty sure I'd be much better off if everyone else was as poor as I am, because a) there'd be less stigma and sneering, b) everyone else would be generally kinder (the effects of money being known), and c) society would be more geared towards people with an income like mine. Being small is only a disadvantage when others are tall.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't have a crazy email to post but I'm constantly baffled by people who endlessly spend time obsessing and posting about poor people on assistance making poor choices.

On a forum I read, someone posted this article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57609936/millions-on-food-stamps-facing-benefits-cuts/

with this picture in it:

and proceeded to post this:

never in my life did i ever think that some rear end in a top hat on the internet would complain about a person on public assistance having too nice of mop bucket

Odds are good that smartphone is cheap too. You can get a droid that looks like a Blackberry for $40 in SA Mart.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nevvy Z posted:

Odds are good that smartphone is cheap too. You can get a droid that looks like a Blackberry for $40 in SA Mart.

drat, I got mine for $50 at walmart. Rip off artists :argh:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I just found a popcorn popper about that size for $25 on craigslist. Except the one I found is nicely decorated with a big POPCORN sign on top. I can see why she decided not to go with that one, she's on a budget and has to live more modestly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nevvy Z posted:

poo poo my iPhone 3 was dirt cheap and looks just like any other iPhone at a glance. Smartphones haven't been inherently CUTTING EDGE MONEYBAGS PHONES for like, a decade.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think my parents got Iphones for less than $5 when they were trying to clear out their stock of previous models.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
That actually looks a lot like some after school program for kids. Tons of homework resources everywhere, a logistical place for a popcorn machine and commercial mop bucket, the only thing that doesn't fit is the wine bottles. Either way, it doesn't look like anything to be envious of.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone have any idea what the hell this is supposed to mean?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

borkencode posted:

I mean, seems like a pretty reasonable position.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

borkencode posted:

Obama is Hitler. The end.

No seriously, that's what 99.99% of Tea Party thought can be boiled down to.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's a play on "If you like your healthcare you can keep your healthcare."

You see this is comparable to the pictured situation because

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm pretty sure that is at least indirectly in response to insurance companies dropping plans they offered previously...because that literally never happened every loving year before Obamacare.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

quote:

It's a reference to Schindler's List, and one of most memorable parts of a scene where the Jews are being deported. I think you can take a good guess on how she reappears in a film about the Holocaust.

Assuming you've not seen SL, that is. If you have, well clearly you know this means Obama is a Nazi and the ACA is just as horrible as the Holocaust, because-- :suicide:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

poo poo my iPhone 3 was dirt cheap and looks just like any other iPhone at a glance. Smartphones haven't been inherently CUTTING EDGE MONEYBAGS PHONES for like, a decade.
Yeah, most people are stupid with tech and money, American telecoms take advantage of it in ways you don't often see in the rest of the rich world. Americans are conditioned to know you can either get a "free" smartphone and pay $70+/mo for two years, or get a dumbphone with its lousy affordable poor people plan. Don't bother thinking about buying something outright and getting on prepaid below $50/mo, that's European.

I've actually convinced some older people about the practicality of living poor with a smartphone. The one-time cash boost of $50-$250 you'd get for a used phone would mean sacrificing mobile communications, research, entertainment, navigation, etc. Explaining that you can get smartphone service for $20 to $45 monthly got them to appreciate even the use-case for someone unemployed and struggling to find a new job. Most just aren't aware you can buy any used phone at fair-enough prices (Swappa, Craigslist, eBay) or a decent new phone at low profit-margin (Nexus). Nevermind getting lucky through friends and family who've upgraded and give away old phones as gifts.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 1, 2013

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The little girl is a metaphor for insurance plans that are designed to suck money from people and give little if anything in return. Throw her into the loving gas chamber.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think a smartphone is probably in the top 10 "great investments for poor people"

A device that provides telephone service, Internet, calendar, alarm clocks and is a miniature computer? Thats some serious empowerment.

There are only a few other devices that provide that kind of utility: Refrigerators, washing machines, cars, a microwave, toilets, maybe AC/Heating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, most people are stupid with tech and money, American telecoms take advantage of it in ways you don't often see in the rest of the rich world. Americans are conditioned to know you can either get a "free" smartphone and pay $70+/mo for two years, or get a dumbphone with its lousy affordable poor people plan. Don't bother thinking about buying something outright and getting on prepaid below $50/mo, that's European.

I've actually convinced some older people about the practicality of living poor with a smartphone. The one-time cash boost of $50-$250 you'd get for a used phone would mean sacrificing mobile communications, research, entertainment,

Whoa, easy there buddy. These are poors we're talking about. The only entertainment they should know is the satisfaction that comes from achieving success. Now when I was a kid I had to mow lawns for a month just to see a baseball game, and you can probably see where I'm going with this analogy which is completely applicable to poor people earning things.

It is true about smartphones though. Considering you can get a brand new iphone color for $50 with a plan, I'm sure there are other, even more affordable options out there. Is it an absolute necessity? Eh, probably not. However it is a drat good convenience and a cheap alternative to a computer.