Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can anyone give me a good reason not to buy this as a receiver for my setup? I am in a small apartment and currently only have two Polk speakers and plan on picking up more speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s2&tag=y07d1-20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

I have that same model that I used without floor spikes. Wasn't a problem.

Do the spikes come off? Or do they have to be cut off?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Red Robin Hood posted:

Can anyone give me a good reason not to buy this as a receiver for my setup? I am in a small apartment and currently only have two Polk speakers and plan on picking up more speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...s2&tag=y07d1-20

None that I can see off the top of my head, just check that you're getting the features you want at that price; when it was new, it was reviewed as light on features.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v473/4505-6466_7-35182235.html

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

Do the spikes come off? Or do they have to be cut off?

They come in a little baggie. I didn't install mine either. It seemed silly for hardwood.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Alarbus posted:

They come in a little baggie. I didn't install mine either. It seemed silly for hardwood.

You can also buy rubber feet from a hardware store, and use those instead of the spikes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Richard M Nixon posted:

I know this is being asked a lot as we get closer to black friday, Monitor 60

Yes. Monitor 60's are a good speaker. Not the most efficient, but they can move enough air to get loud and work well as a full range speaker.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Alarbus posted:

Ah, perfect. Looks like they won't be a problem then

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CrazyLittle posted:

You can also buy rubber feet from a hardware store, and use those instead of the spikes.

Or these, to keep the hardwood from ever rattling, ever.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Trip report:

Mom needed new headphones. After trying half a dozen different entry level models and not noticing any difference in sound, a pair of €30 Sennheisers felt the most comfortable. Just because we were in the shop already I suggested she try Beyerdynamic DT880 just for kicks. You know, to hear what money can buy. First reaction: she turns her head and tries to see where the music is coming from before realizing it's the headphones. Suddenly the cheap Sennheisers weren't that interesting anymore.

DT 880 goes for ~€300 which was slightly over budget. Fortunately DT 990 Pro (250 ohm) goes for half that and sounds reasonably similar. At €150 she couldn't resist. The weekend has been merrily spent re-listening to all her classical collection and noticing the details that were hidden.

Moral of the story: be careful when listening to hi-fi, it may be hard to let it go.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009
Investing into a decent audio system has been one of my most worthwhile purchases. Unlike computer/TV setups that need to be replaced frequently speakers/headphones last a long time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Welp, one of the drivers on the Intimus 4C is hosed. :sigh:

I only have it hooked up to a TX-NR509, and I never go past half-way or so on the volume, so I doubt I could have blown it out (although it certainly sounds that way). Hopefully the RMA goes well, and they overlook the scratches from my mantle.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Hob_Gadling posted:

The weekend has been merrily spent re-listening to all her classical collection and noticing the details that were hidden.
That's awesome! :) You're a good son, hooking your mom up with practical knowledge.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

I'm trying to help my folks for Christmas by modernizing their home A/V set-up, but there's one part of the setup I'm not sure how to address:

They have their surround setup in the living room & a couple speakers out on the porch, currently using two separate receivers to run them (some early-00s, pre-HDMI poo poo for the TV; some mid-70s failing harmon kardon stuff for the outdoor speakers).

It seems like this could be replaced with one receiver and something to hookup/switch the outdoor speakers on when needed but I don't know where to start looking for that second thing.

Probably a pretty simple question, just a lack of vocabulary on my part. Any ideas?

You need a receiver with 2 zone capability. For the setup you describe, make sure the 2nd zone is powered with speaker level outputs.

oriface
Jul 13, 2006
I am looking to take the plunge and with the help of this thread I think I have a list together that will work. I want a 3.1 system that is upgradable to 5.1 at least in the future and will play music from a variety of sources.

Can someone skim this and let me know whether I have everything I need to set and go in my list?

Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver (Black)
Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter
Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker(2)
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer
C&E 100 Feet 14AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable
Mediabridge Ultra Series Subwoofer Cable - ( 15 Feet ) - Dual Shielded with RCA to RCA Gold Plated Pro Grade Connectors
Sewell Direct SW-29863-12 Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-Pair

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Quick thoughts from me as I have almost the exact same system, but with a Yamaha receiver.

The receiver is probably overkill, but it's better to buy too much than too little. If you have budget issues you can cut back a little here.

I have the exact same speaker system as you're proposing. Pioneer towers and center, and PSW10 sub.

The Pioneer speakers are really nice for the price. The current price on Amazon is high though, these often go on sale for as low as 74 dollars each. Shop around and then have Best Buy price match to save on shipping. 89.99 each would be my target price. I think I grabbed the center for 69.99 as well. The speakers sound fantastic to me, I'm not an audiophile, but you'll have more problems finding a clean source than getting good sound out of these. They make most of my mp3 collection sound like crap. Heart's greatest hits album is usually what I use to show off the speakers though, I could hear things on those tracks I could never hear before using cheap earbuds or computer speakers. It's mastered really well in my uninformed opinion.

The PSW10 I picked up price match at Best Buy as well for 99.99. It's not a bad little sub for 100 bucks, but after living with my system for the last 6 months or so I really wish I would have spent a little bit more on a bigger sub. It's fine for music, but any kind of action movie or deep deep bass/explosions are totally lacking with this sub. I'm looking to replace it soon with at least a Polk PSW505 if I can catch one on sale. What I like to call "Michael Bay films" (films by Michael Bay and other crazy bass heavy explosion action films, specifically Transformers, Battleship and the like) are basically unwatchable with the PSW10. I won't even try to watch Pacific Rim at home until I upgrade my sub. I do have a large room to fill with bass though, if you have a smaller room or live in an apartment the PSW10 is probably fine for your needs.

Again, the PSW10 is fine for music, I listen to a lot of Rock and Blues and have never felt it lacking there, but for home theater purposes it's worthless below 40hz or so.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 4, 2013

oriface
Jul 13, 2006
Fantastic. Thanks for the detailed review. Maybe I will step that sub up to the next level.

Does anyone know if the cabling and adapters will be everything I need to get this running when it arrives on my doorstep? I have HDMI and Component cables here.

I will definitely let the thread know my noob thoughts on the results.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All that other stuff is fine. I got by with 50ft of 12 gauge speaker wire and a 12 pack of plugs as well.

I bought a ton of HDMI cables though, try to plan how everything is going to connect. I had like 5 HDMI's ran in the wall up to my TV, they just sit there now as I only need one of them, so I got a bunch of shorter HDMI's for the stuff next to the Receiver.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Trip report:

Indeed TA2021 Class T Tripath Digital 25W+25W Stereo Amplifier + 12V5A AC Adaper

USD75 from eBay.

Paired them with my Sony bookshelf speakers and an Ipod I am happy with it. I'm playing it softly and it is a lovely clear sound with lots of definition. It's loud enough to fill a small room and the volume goes up without distortion.

I paid more than the Lepai and I think it's worth it - proper 5A PSU and looks good and well built. It's smaller than you think (the width is the same as the height of my Ipod Video).

For a laugh, I tried it on my KEF Q5 floor speakers - it could drive the tweeter, but no more.

spog fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 5, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh cool, I was considering getting something like this to take my otherwise unused bookshelf speakers on my patio when it's nice out.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I'm moving to a new place and am planning on setting up a good home theater and music set up. I was looking around and the Hsu Research speakers caught my eye. They're being reviewed as great deals and very neutral. My headphones are etymotics, and I like the sound a lot.

Any of you have experience with the company and it's products?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skipdogg posted:

I won't even try to watch Pacific Rim at home until I upgrade my sub.

You will be fine watching Pacific Rim with that sub because the movie is absolute poo poo for bass. They recorded the movie and then applied a high pass filter and cut everything below 30hz. Thats right, they forced a high pass filter onto the media itself, maybe to please Bose owners or something.

It's still an entertaining movie though, and I enjoyed it, but I was really hoping for it to shake the house. Instead it just has these flat lovely monotone bass notes every so often.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

Trip report:

Indeed TA2021 Class T Tripath Digital 25W+25W Stereo Amplifier + 12V5A AC Adaper

USD75 from eBay.

Paired them with my Sony bookshelf speakers and an Ipod I am happy with it. I'm playing it softly and it is a lovely clear sound with lots of definition. It's loud enough to fill a small room and the volume goes up without distortion.
I paid more than the Lepai and I think it's worth it - proper 5A PSU and looks good and well built. It's smaller than you think (the width is the same as the height of my Ipod Video).

For a laugh, I tried it on my KEF Q5 floor speakers - it could drive the tweeter, but no more.

The KEF's should go louder and play cleaner than the bookshelf speakers do. Big Floorstanding speakers are more efficient, and take less power to reach a volume level. The ridiculous huge JBL cinema speakers with 18" drivers etc can go as loud as 105db or more with only 1 watt.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I don't know that I'd connect my nice tower speakers to a $75 mini-amp from eBay. Am I being irrational? :ohdear:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Well that sucks. I saw Pacific Rim in IMAX and it was beyond amazing. It wasn't a movie, it was an experience. My body hurt when I left the theater from the bass.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I'm planning on getting the Pioneer SP-BS41-LR Bookshelf Speakers and the SP-C21 center channel speakers with plans to get floor standing speakers later on . My question is will the bookshelf and center speakers be good enough for every day listening on my TV? I live in a apartment so don't really need loud or deep sounds, just something that sounds nice and better than my tv speakers. I have an Onkyo 414 receiver.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 6, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

jonathan posted:

The KEF's should go louder and play cleaner than the bookshelf speakers do. Big Floorstanding speakers are more efficient, and take less power to reach a volume level. The ridiculous huge JBL cinema speakers with 18" drivers etc can go as loud as 105db or more with only 1 watt.

Oh definitely, they are much better speakers than my bookshelf ones. For a start, they cost 4 times more, so I'd hope they'd be better.

I was a little surprised that even with the amp turned up to 75%, only the tweeters worked (I didn't go higher, taking advice of the other posters about trying to drive a small amp too hard)

Alfajor posted:

I don't know that I'd connect my nice tower speakers to a $75 mini-amp from eBay. Am I being irrational? :ohdear:

Yeah, it was only a test. The speakers are new (to me) and I've never connected them and wanted to hear they make some kind of sound.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm planning on getting the Pioneer SP-BS41-LR Bookshelf Speakers and the SP-C21 center channel speakers with plans to get floor standing speakers later on . My question is will the bookshelf and center speakers be good enough for every day listening on my TV?

Easily.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm planning on getting the Pioneer SP-BS41-LR Bookshelf Speakers and the SP-C21 center channel speakers with plans to get floor standing speakers later on . My question is will the bookshelf and center speakers be good enough for every day listening on my TV? I live in a apartment so don't really need loud or deep sounds, just something that sounds nice and better than my tv speakers. I have an Onkyo 414 receiver.
I had just the previous version of the bookshelf speakers and they were perfectly adequate for my apartment. The center made it even better, obviously, but even at the absolute worst, they'll be a MASSIVE improvement over your TV speakers.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
So it might not be the best deal or option but Woot just put a Pioneer VSX-1023-K on sale for 200 off at $299.

Besides crappy menu's, did I make a good purchase?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

If I wanted to buy something similar as a starter Home Audio setup what would you change to make this list come in at or below 700? I would like room to grow to 5.1, then to 7.1. But right now I only have 700, and really need SOMETHING to replace the sound bar that is getting moved to the bedroom.

I found an Onkyo home theater package that I was strongly considering, but I am not sure if that is the way to go. Please help!

For reference, here is the package deal http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S560...yo+home+theater

Or this for a touch over budget.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S940...yo+home+theater

But if those are total poo poo packages, and the combined powers of this thread can get me a good 3.1 startup for the requested budget, that would be awesome!

*edit* what I will have hooked up. wii-u, xbox 360, BR player. Future ps4. Obviously, TV.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kilazar posted:

If I wanted to buy something similar as a starter Home Audio setup what would you change to make this list come in at or below 700? I would like room to grow to 5.1, then to 7.1. But right now I only have 700, and really need SOMETHING to replace the sound bar that is getting moved to the bedroom.

I found an Onkyo home theater package that I was strongly considering, but I am not sure if that is the way to go. Please help!

For reference, here is the package deal http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S560...yo+home+theater

Or this for a touch over budget.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S940...yo+home+theater

But if those are total poo poo packages, and the combined powers of this thread can get me a good 3.1 startup for the requested budget, that would be awesome!

*edit* what I will have hooked up. wii-u, xbox 360, BR player. Future ps4. Obviously, TV.
Reciever
Then look for sales on the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers - the bookshelf speakers can be had for $90 a pair if you wait, and the center around that, as well - then spend the rest on a good subwoofer.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Kilazar posted:

If I wanted to buy something similar as a starter Home Audio setup what would you change to make this list come in at or below 700?

Option 1:

Martin Logan speakers $169: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981013

Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver $299: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR616/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Wires and plugs $25

Beer $200 and change

Option 2:

Pair of these Polk Monitor 40s $149: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202

Polk CS1 center $79: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290210

Polk PSW10 sub $99: http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C3X2BDA5NJ2P9XC69C6

Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver $299: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR616/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

Wires and plugs $25

Beer $40 and change

Option 3:

Pioneer floorstanders $190: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS...83767335&sr=1-4

Pioneer center $100: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-C21-Watt-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B004MF4S0M/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Pioneer bookshelfs $60: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS21-LR-80-Watts-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B004MEWZE4/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Wires and plugs $25

Add subwoofer later.

You still have $25 or so left over. I recommend vodka.

Most versatility you get by buying Pioneer center and bookshelfs, receiver with whatever features you want and saving the rest until you can get floorstanders of your desire. Switch bookshelfs to rear speakers at that point. Then add sub and any additional speakers if you want to get a full 7.1 system.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Reciever
Then look for sales on the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers - the bookshelf speakers can be had for $90 a pair if you wait, and the center around that, as well - then spend the rest on a good subwoofer.

Thank you very much! I just pulled the trigger on the receiver cause amazon only had 12 left in stock. I'll get the speakers when they go on sale. Hopefully before my tv arrives on the 14th.

I splurged a touch and picked up the wifi dongle. I don't have network close to where this is going to live.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 6, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

Oh definitely, they are much better speakers than my bookshelf ones. For a start, they cost 4 times more, so I'd hope they'd be better.

I was a little surprised that even with the amp turned up to 75%, only the tweeters worked (I didn't go higher, taking advice of the other posters about trying to drive a small amp too hard)

Yeah, it was only a test. The speakers are new (to me) and I've never connected them and wanted to hear they make some kind of sound.

If all you got was sound from the tweeters, something is wrong, or the speakers are set up for biamping and the terminals aren't bridged. If you have 4 terminals on the back of the speaker, but aren't connected together, you will need to make a bridge to make them work properly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kilazar posted:

Thank you very much! I just pulled the trigger on the receiver cause amazon only had 12 left in stock. I'll get the speakers when they go on sale. Hopefully before my tv arrives on the 14th.

I splurged a touch and picked up the wifi dongle. I don't have network close to where this is going to live.

You should probably cancel the receiver order since the links below my post have it for $90 less, which is a significant savings.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alfajor posted:

There are a poo poo ton of people who connect crazy expensive speakers to tube amps which make even less power and are of worse quality than a $75 eBay amp.

I posted a video before of some DIY sound group speakers being driven well over 100db outside with a 17 watt el cheapo t amp.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

You should probably cancel the receiver order since the links below my post have it for $90 less, which is a significant savings.

Doh, too late, it's already shipped. Amazon cut me some 50 off prime discounts though since I bought a ton of poo poo. So between shipping being free, getting 2% back as rewards, and that $50 kickback, I think I'm ok.

I am however going to dig through that huge rear end list and start building a Christmas list! Thanks Hob, I am looking at your option 3 speakers for my next order.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 6, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

jonathan posted:

If all you got was sound from the tweeters, something is wrong, or the speakers are set up for biamping and the terminals aren't bridged. If you have 4 terminals on the back of the speaker, but aren't connected together, you will need to make a bridge to make them work properly.

Oh blimey, I suppose I better think about this....

quote:

This KEF Q55 speaker is a free-standing floor speaker that delivers powerful sound in a cabinet that can complement almost any room. The KEF Audio Q55 speaker has a frequency response of 40 Hz to 20 kHz. The impedance on this floor speaker is 8 ohms. The KEF Q55 speaker has a sensitivity of 91 dB. It has a peak power handling of 150 watts. The bass and midrange drivers use a Uni-Q array for stronger sound. The terminals are binding posts for an accurate and consistent connection, but the speaker also has banana plugs. The speaker is set up for bi-wiring. The crossover filter on this KEF Audio Q55 speaker allows each driver to produce clear, distortion-free sound at its designated frequency. The magnetic shielding in this stereo speaker helps to reduce electrostatic interference, allowing the speaker to produce clean, clear sound. The soft dome tweeter driver is 1.9 cm in diametre, while the midrange and woofer drivers are 16 cm. The KEF Q55 speaker weighs 14.5 kg and is 20.7 cm wide, 27.6 cm deep, and 85.2 cm high.

From the seller:

quote:

One of the banana posts has come off one of the speakers (see pic) but using the bridging strip, it works 100%

I thought I tried both of them - should I make sure that the terminals are actually connected together properly and then try again?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

Oh blimey, I suppose I better think about this....

From the seller:

I thought I tried both of them - should I make sure that the terminals are actually connected together properly and then try again?

Yes. You can use those bridge strips, or just splice a short piece of speaker wire, black to black and red to red. Don't bother biamping, it doesn't do anything. Just hook your amp up positive to one of the reds and negative to one of the blacks after ensuring they're bridged. I bet you will be surprised how well that amp will power those speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

jonathan posted:

Yes. You can use those bridge strips, or just splice a short piece of speaker wire, black to black and red to red. Don't bother biamping, it doesn't do anything. Just hook your amp up positive to one of the reds and negative to one of the blacks after ensuring they're bridged. I bet you will be surprised how well that amp will power those speakers.

Thanks for that.

I bridged the unbridged speaker and it works. It's not the loudest sound I suspect the quality is negatively affected by my using the ipod headphone socket, rather than a line out.

The currently bridged speaker doesn't seem so chipper. I think I'm going to open it up and replace that banana socket - or hard wire them together. It seems to work, just quiet than the other one.