Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I let Inko out today and he climbed on to my chair, then down behind me where I had taken off my hoodie, crawled into some folds and wedged himself between my back and the chair, then just went to sleep. Only his tail was sticking out. Whenever I'd lift up the bit of hoodie he was under and expose him, he'd just stare at me without moving, even let me pet him. Apparently it was too comfortable to be violent right then.

Both Inko and Steve are still not taking having pellets added to their seeds well. Inko is constantly down on the floor hunting and attacking his jingly ball, and Steve keeps going into Ohtori's cage in search of food. He eats out of Ohtori's fresh food bowl (ignoring his own bowl), then sits on Ohtori's pedi-perch, probably because it's the same as his favourite day perch in his own cage. It's getting to the point I open Steve's cage, and he climbs up to the top and just walks up the door straight into 'Tori's to hang out.

KillerChicken posted:

http://youtu.be/pDuEIBvqHko

Q was also dry clean only, in his late years, and hated an actual bath. So in the course of him trying to destroy a book I was reading I gave him a light whack on the head to stop him. It stopped him, alright, he started flopping around and acted like he was taking a bath. After that I rarely could get him to bathe with water but he'd take one if beaten with a bookmark.

This is the most fantastic thing. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I figure this is the best place to ask, so... bird crazies, is there a polite way to tell a neighbor that their new bird needs to learn to shut up? The family in the apartment right above mine brought home a new pet bird a few days ago - don't know what kind - and it's started screeching and yelling its head off every evening when the sun goes down and sporadically after that. I don't know if my neighbors are home when this happens or not, but it's getting extremely irritating and I'm wondering if there's a good way to tell them their bird is a problem.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask, so... bird crazies, is there a polite way to tell a neighbor that their new bird needs to learn to shut up? The family in the apartment right above mine brought home a new pet bird a few days ago - don't know what kind - and it's started screeching and yelling its head off every evening when the sun goes down and sporadically after that. I don't know if my neighbors are home when this happens or not, but it's getting extremely irritating and I'm wondering if there's a good way to tell them their bird is a problem.

Unfortunately, there is probably nothing they can do.

That said, if it is yelling after dark it might help if they covered the cage with a sheet or blanket at night to help the bird calm down and go to sleep.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Cythereal posted:

Nothing they can do. No bird muzzle. Sometimes birds just yell. If it's any consolation, it'll probably settle in eventually and calm down but it'll never be entirely silent.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I know its not the greatest solution, but try whistling to the bird. Might have a chance at calming it down if its screaming for attention. Course, it might just be attacking the bell that is about to attack in which case good luck.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bells. Bells are the enemy and incessantly need to be yelled at/into and thrown around.

Yeah, our lori will go nuts over bells.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I don't always wear my wedding band around the house. I took it off when I was watching some TV tonight. The bird was hopping around on me, down my arm, and boom grabbed the ring off the table and took off.

No idea where it is.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So this is pretty great: https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Your life, much like Mindo, is a cartoon.

That's pretty hilarious though, rookie mistake. Parrots and apparently toucans as well looooooove shiny things.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Are you following me on Twitter? I just started retweeting that today.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Wizard of Smart posted:

Are you following me on Twitter? I just started retweeting that today.

Haha, no. I follow like 4 people on twitter.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://www.3news.co.nz/Buddy-the-talking-starling/tabid/817/articleID/320910/Default.aspx#.Uo-Tp8QjJ9Z

Awwwwwwwwwww :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Stupid question time, because I don't see it in the "list of things toxic to birds".

I have some very high quality loose-leaf black tea, and I'm drinking it in the Chinese style (just leaving the leaves in the cup). When it cools down, Alexis likes to try and pull leaves out of my cup to chew on them. She doesn't seem to really eat them very much (just tiny bits) but likes chewing on them.

Is this ok? I know they aren't really supposed to be ingesting much/any caffeine.

vvvvv thanks. This is the list I usually refer to. I'll avoid letting her chew on the tea leaves. vvvvv

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 23, 2013

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I wouldn't risk it. Although a lot of caffeine should have been steeped out into the tea, there's probably still trace amounts left in the leaves. Also, black tea is also the tea variant containing the most caffeine (about 1/3 of that of coffee).

Edit: I did find tea on a toxic list, although not specified for brewed tea leaves, so I'd avoid that!

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 22, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

No tea leaves, even if steeped. The residual caffeine in there probably isn't noticeable to a 77 kg human, but it is probably noticeable to a creature 0.1% the size of you.

e: Remember that you can literally divide things by a thousand and arrive at the effect on a small conure compared to a human, by 500 for larger conure or medium sized parrot, and by 200 for cockatoos/Greys/etc.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 23, 2013

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We sometimes put decaf black tea leaves on Mindo's food per the internet. It is to help reduce his iron uptake.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Eejit posted:

No tea leaves, even if steeped. The residual caffeine in there probably isn't noticeable to a 77 kg human, but it is probably noticeable to a creature 0.1% the size of you.

e: Remember that you can literally divide things by a thousand and arrive at the effect on a small conure compared to a human, by 500 for larger conure or medium sized parrot, and by 200 for cockatoos/Greys/etc.

Well, the fact that she snagged one before I could take it away from her this morning might explain why she's been such a jerk all day. Yeesh.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

This Etsy shop has things that I think all of us can agree that we need to own.

I want this as a cross-stitch above my door.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Awesome red tailed hawk on the phone pole outside my parents house. Dad said he thought he was big enough to swoop up our 12 pound dog. Yikes!

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

H110Hawk posted:

I don't always wear my wedding band around the house. I took it off when I was watching some TV tonight. The bird was hopping around on me, down my arm, and boom grabbed the ring off the table and took off.

No idea where it is.
I do the same with my engagement ring and wedding band, typically leaving them in the tray on our ottoman or on the arm of the couch. Baby, my GCC conure, loves to pick them up in his beak and drop them over the edge. He also likes to occasionally hide them under the couch, causing me to wonder where they went. I feel your pain.

zbeezy
Jan 3, 2007

all those needed repeats :3:

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bells. Bells are the enemy and incessantly need to be yelled at/into and thrown around.

Fry takes his anger out on his jingly things and then making sad noises til i pick them up and put them back on his cage. I'm debating tying them to a piece of rope.

He's so funny trying to hold a wiffle ball.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my god, someone linked this to me:

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/NEW_ITEMS-Mini_Mac_Notebook_Mirror_for_Small_Birds.html

A tiny laptop mirror for your birds. :3:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Awesome red tailed hawk on the phone pole outside my parents house. Dad said he thought he was big enough to swoop up our 12 pound dog. Yikes!

He has a leg band on. Do you have a raptor sanctuary near you?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
/\ Also looks like a juvenile. Rehab center release seems likely!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

As is usual lately, because he has to pick through Harrison's to get to his seeds (which means he's STARVING and I am a horrible owner) Steve wandered into Ohtori's cage in search of non-existent seeds.

Despite being in Steve's cage (and allowed, as there are no seeds at the moment to steal, just pellets), he is confused about what to do about the potato in his cage.

Problem solved

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sapphaholic posted:

He has a leg band on. Do you have a raptor sanctuary near you?

I have no idea, but there are a few California native wildlife shelters semi close by. Perhaps he ended up there at some point. I didn't even notice that! Good eye :)

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Battle Pigeon posted:

As is usual lately, because he has to pick through Harrison's to get to his seeds (which means he's STARVING and I am a horrible owner) Steve wandered into Ohtori's cage in search of non-existent seeds.

Despite being in Steve's cage (and allowed, as there are no seeds at the moment to steal, just pellets), he is confused about what to do about the potato in his cage.

Problem solved

Haha, Cheeky does something similar too. He'll sort of flutter over to Sunny's cage, then pick through his food which is the EXACT SAME FOOD I GIVE HIM and then becomes a potato on Sunny's blue perch. Sunny will sort of wander around uncertainly outside until the potato is back in his cage.

Cockatiels, man.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rosy, too, used to do that exact thing to Amadeus. Their cages at the time were identical even in set-up. :derptiel:

e: You know you're a bird crazy when you lure your parrot into his cage with a sunflower seed, but are truly surprised that he fell for it.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 23, 2013

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
We found where Mindo hid his precious!

ETA: hoodie naptime is happening right now.

Staryberry fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 24, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve tried as fast as he could to run back in the cage when we eventually took him out but ended up just hanging by his beak on the door as it went up, feet waving about. He's so cute but just so drat... derpy sometimes. /cockatiel.txt

I only gave Inko pellets this morning, a mix of Harrison's and Nutribird, and heard crunching but never saw him eat any. He shat in his bowl in the afternoon, so it got replaced with just Harrison's, as I was going to give him his seeds in the evening... but when it was time, there was only pellet dust left :3: So he can have a few seeds tomorrow with his pellets instead. That went a lot easier/faster than expected-now only Steve is left to convince.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Staryberry posted:

So jealous. Does he climb in there and stick his beak out or do you have to put him in?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Hawk110 stuck him in there. I thought he'd scramble out, but instead he preened me a bit then settled down adorably. A warm ball of toucan snuggled up against my cheek is the best.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

SaNChEzZ posted:

I have no idea, but there are a few California native wildlife shelters semi close by. Perhaps he ended up there at some point. I didn't even notice that! Good eye :)

Out of curiosity, whereabouts in CA are you? I'm wondering if your red tail might be from the place I volunteer.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Out of curiosity, whereabouts in CA are you? I'm wondering if your red tail might be from the place I volunteer.

I'm in costal LA proper. Parents live 2 miles further inland.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Now I'm curious about where you volunteer. I've been curious about volunteering with rescue raptors and I'm the Los Angeles area.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What the heck, why do we not have an LA bird crazies meetup yet?

Creepy edit: I want to meet mindo :x

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

Don't worry, birds can't lift much more than their body weight, and Red Tails rarely weigh more than 3.5lbs.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Oh my god this post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/only1.pet/permalink/679376692083245/

Basically "Lovebird shredded my daughter's textbook".

lovebird.jpg

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Staryberry posted:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh my god this post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/only1.pet/permalink/679376692083245/

Basically "Lovebird shredded my daughter's textbook".

lovebird.jpg

gently caress these are too cute. I miss the days when Ohtori would do this. Maybe if Inko ever gets tame enough he'll do it instead?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So hey, um I thought you should know I had a dream about your lovely Mr. Bojangles last night. In it I was in my parents house on a standard irish autumn afternoon, the kind with blustery winds, swirling leaves and short bursts of rain, when I noticed that there was damp and grumpy looking amazon parrot sitting on a low branch (very like he is in the picture above, only crosser).

Of course I went outside to rescue him immediately but by the time I got outside, he'd taken off and was flying around a big tree in the garden. I called his name as loudly as I could and amazingly he heard me and flew down to my hand. I woke up just after I'd gotten him inside into the warmth and safety.

:3:

(I know, I know but shush; this is Bird Crazies, we're allowed to get a bit weird aren't we?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Aquila posted:

Don't worry, birds can't lift much more than their body weight, and Red Tails rarely weigh more than 3.5lbs.

Beware any cliffs however: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VklTs-Tid_I (Golden Eagle + Goat + Cliff = Delicious)