Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
That's really gross. Ew worms. We've had a whole bunch of puppies lately with rectal prolapses and I assume they all have a ton of worms. I did get to fix one though, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, as of 8am tomorrow I am done my 6 weeks of SA Surgery/Medicine hell! Whoo! I feel like such crap now. I haven't been able to go to the gym. Hell, I got down to 1 meal/day and only peeing twice a day (when I woke up, when I went to sleep) because I never had time to eat or drink. So glad that from now until Christmas I'm on rotations that actually care about your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

For all of you with VIN access, and maybe a feeling of :( because of euthanasias, or stupid tests, or dumb evals... Read this thread:

http://www.vin.com/members/boards/DiscussionViewer.aspx?DocumentId=3794956&MessageId=4001982&SAId=1

For all those without VIN, here's a sampling of the "The dumbest emergency call ever" thread:
(Remember, these are emergency calls, so like at night or on your day off)

"Someone called and said, "I just took my Pekingese outside and he stood in the snow for a few minutes, and when I brought him back inside he stood there and shook for a few minutes. Do you think he's OK?"

"Oh, and I had a woman call once to ask what temperature to bathe her dog in. Ummmmmm, not too hot or too cold..."

"Bearded Dragon needed to be seen on emergency, but it would take her about 45 minutes to get her. He is lying upside down in his cage and he is really stiff."

"I was called in once for an emergency cat abscess that turned out to be bird poop. the owners had been too grossed out to actually look at the area."

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

We had one at my last externship "horse has swelling on chest about the size of a D cup."

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Enelrahc posted:

We had one at my last externship "horse has swelling on chest about the size of a D cup."

Amazing.

Gross story of the year: dog in labor, producing pups at appropriate intervals but owner is freaking out so we let them sit in an exam room with the dog until the last one comes. I offer owner a cup of water, which she shares with her dog. Dog has been doing what dogs do during labor, namely licking her vulva clean of all the nasty stuff that comes with puppies. I try not to gag until puppy is born and I can send everyone home.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Our emergency messages get translated by a third party to a text message. We had one a few weeks ago that was: "Dog ate chocolate chip cookie. One. Very worried."

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
I had someone call about their grasshopper's broken leg once.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Not even a year out in practice and I've already got my first complaint through the college of veterinarians! I'm confident we did nothing wrong, and no less than 2 other vets have spoken with this person and told them as much, but still, this is gonna give me an ulcer for a while.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ugh. That sucks. We've had people threaten a bit, but they haven't gone through to my knowledge. I've only been called disparaging comments regarding my supposed competence by clients to the boss, not to my face. I'm definitely done with the general public and am really hoping I can get into residency and not have to deal with clients ever again. Sure, I'll have to deal with students, other residents, faculty, and other vets, but the average pet owner is sure wearing me down.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Ugh. That sucks. We've had people threaten a bit, but they haven't gone through to my knowledge. I've only been called disparaging comments regarding my supposed competence by clients to the boss, not to my face. I'm definitely done with the general public and am really hoping I can get into residency and not have to deal with clients ever again. Sure, I'll have to deal with students, other residents, faculty, and other vets, but the average pet owner is sure wearing me down.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

ahahahah

whew

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Are you in for an unholy rude awakening! I did pathology and I still had to deal with clients in addition to everyone else.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I dunno dude, the interaction with clients in Rads was pretty minimal. The only time I saw client interaction with the residents on any significant basis were the breeders for preg checks because they would watch the ultrasound. Maybe there's a lot more interaction outside the hospital, or e-mail communication, or something I never saw, but I spent several years in that service and that's what I observed :shobon:

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I think it depends on the school. Our radiology department here used to interact with clients years ago, but now they don't speak to them at all except for the rare occasion when we let them stay for the ultrasound. Our pathologists never talk to clients either, at least not on the small animal side.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
One of the trends I've seen at places is to do "outside" radiology work - you do the MRI and send the results back to someone else, so the client brings the animal in for the procedure.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Equine internship applications were due today. Got them in by a hair because one of my letter writers was being the biggest procrastinator on the face of the planet. Now I just hope someone wants me :smith: equine internship process is such a heap of poo poo. Hopefully I won't end up at Banfield. Sigh.

On the bright side, finally done with externships. Can't wait to be home. My bed, my kitchen, my shower, my kitties, no more suitcase!

Parrotstalking
Oct 6, 2012
I'm in a blissful state of anticipation for this foreboding world of clients, compared to surviving this first semester. The hope for getting probation over failing a class has never been so strong and sweet. I'm only halfway and still managing, but the fear is real.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
We got an email the other day about an equine externship with free accommodation being offered in Finland. If anyone wants the details shoot me a PM.

Parrotstalking
Oct 6, 2012
I have a question about the camaraderie of the vet classes. So, this is an intense program, and sharing that with someone you click with seems awesome, but so far I'm not so much clicking with my class as being wary of getting too involved and embroiled in drama, which has already started to crop up in the form of standard and stress-induced gossip.

And I get that we're a small group thrown together for four years, so that will happen, but I'm a second-career person who didn't grow up in a small town or go to a small high school, so it's Weird to me. So what's it been like after graduation? How did the networking here affect the school afterlife? I kind of figure the answer is "it depends," but just curious if these close quarters can cause unfortunate burned bridges or super nepotism or what.

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW
Is there still only one vet school in California? (UC Davis?) I know that in my undergrad, because there was only one school, it was very competitive to get in. You almost needed a perfect 4.0 to even be considered.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Morally Inept posted:

Is there still only one vet school in California? (UC Davis?) I know that in my undergrad, because there was only one school, it was very competitive to get in. You almost needed a perfect 4.0 to even be considered.

There is Western in Pomona, but it's private. I don't believe there is anyone in PI who goes there. Davis has been messing around a bit with their admission requirements so they're now quite different than what we had - more emphasis on grades now and less on experience. I didn't have a 4.0 and I know topo didn't either, but we had varied experiences and decent GRE quant scores (can't speak for Chaco or Mr. Chaco). It's all a bit of a crap shoot at times. There are people where I have no idea how they managed to convince them of any semblance of normalcy during their interviews. They've turned away a lot of great, hardworking people in the past couple of years who would have gotten in under the old requirements. Those people end up OOS for the most part, although one quit in despair which makes me sad as she would have been a great vet.

It doesn't hurt to apply there without top grades, just apply to some other places too. Davis is an unpredictable beast.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Enelrahc posted:

There is Western in Pomona, but it's private. I don't believe there is anyone in PI who goes there. Davis has been messing around a bit with their admission requirements so they're now quite different than what we had - more emphasis on grades now and less on experience. I didn't have a 4.0 and I know topo didn't either, but we had varied experiences and decent GRE quant scores (can't speak for Chaco or Mr. Chaco). It's all a bit of a crap shoot at times. There are people where I have no idea how they managed to convince them of any semblance of normalcy during their interviews. They've turned away a lot of great, hardworking people in the past couple of years who would have gotten in under the old requirements. Those people end up OOS for the most part, although one quit in despair which makes me sad as she would have been a great vet.

It doesn't hurt to apply there without top grades, just apply to some other places too. Davis is an unpredictable beast.

I think my undergrad GPA was 3.6 or 3.7, so not 4.0 but still pretty good. I did have a fair amount of experience, good letters, GRE, etc going for me, but I also spent half my interview talking about Ultimate Frisbee and the other half about a recent trip to Thailand, so who knows what they really want.

I agree that there were some classmates I wondered how they snuck in, and I am sure some get turned away who would have done very well. I'm glad admissions is not my job.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Parrotstalking posted:

I have a question about the camaraderie of the vet classes. So, this is an intense program, and sharing that with someone you click with seems awesome, but so far I'm not so much clicking with my class as being wary of getting too involved and embroiled in drama, which has already started to crop up in the form of standard and stress-induced gossip.

And I get that we're a small group thrown together for four years, so that will happen, but I'm a second-career person who didn't grow up in a small town or go to a small high school, so it's Weird to me. So what's it been like after graduation? How did the networking here affect the school afterlife? I kind of figure the answer is "it depends," but just curious if these close quarters can cause unfortunate burned bridges or super nepotism or what.

It depends on what you want to do. Honestly, I felt like my class had moderate amounts of drama, but part of that is because those are the people who draw the most attention to themselves. After a couple of years, and being in surgery groups, etc. together, you'll find the folks in your class who aren't drama magnets, and you'll hang out with them. I still keep in touch with several of my classmates, even though only one is in my specialty.

Really, just keep your head dow and things will improve with time.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Nvm wrong thread.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 13, 2013

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
That moment when you realize you have 15 days before the NAVLE and you will literally have to do hundreds of questions per day to finish Vetprep in time. Hoooooly crap. Knew it'd be a good idea to not book myself into a crazy rotation during this period. Kinda freaking out.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Braki posted:

That moment when you realize you have 15 days before the NAVLE and you will literally have to do hundreds of questions per day to finish Vetprep in time. Hoooooly crap. Knew it'd be a good idea to not book myself into a crazy rotation during this period. Kinda freaking out.

Next Tuesday is the day. Scared, but I'll be so happy to have it over with. I took the $50 NBVME practice test though and passed with a reasonable margin even though I felt like I didn't know anything, so that was good for the soul. It was bs though that the drat thing is $50 then they don't tell you what you got wrong or let you look back at the questions.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Good luck to you all with your studying and tests! You guys all post intelligently enough that I have faith that you'll study what you need to and pass your first tries, like I know you can!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Braki posted:

lol I have 12 days I guess, wasn't really paying attention. Finishing zuku or vetprep is pretty much out of the question since I'm on SA Med again. I took one of the NBVME self-assessments weeks ago and was at the low end of passing with no real prep at all. I don't think I have the energy to freak out about it I guess.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Well, we just had our very last lecture. Exams in two weeks, rotations in February. This is all going by really quickly.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I took boards. I hope I passed, it was the worst ever. I really would rather not take that poo poo all over again. I will if I have to though :(

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Enelrahc posted:

I took boards. I hope I passed, it was the worst ever. I really would rather not take that poo poo all over again. I will if I have to though :(

Fingers crosses for you 8)
How did you go about preparing?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Boards suck. We were the first class to take the NAVLE, they got us our scores the day before the signup for the next test window closed.

As with pretty much all board exams, since passing is like 60%, even when you pass, you feel like crap.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yup. Through vet school we are all taught and told to get the 100%. It's what will get us the internships, the residencies, or the knowledge, to succeed.

However in order to be a licensed vet, you only need to get an amount that most of us would probably cry over for a week, and no one will ever find out what you got so the only thing that matters is "PASS."

It's a hard thing to think, but it's true.

Chickens suck, btw. I hate all their reportable diseases. Luckily, in the real world, if you are concerned you look it up and no one cares that you had to look it up.

Celebrate that it's over. Worrying won't change anything (I wish I could follow this as much as I recommend it, though I guess I'm speaking from ample experience here). If you need to take it later, then you'll find out you will later. But not now, now is the time to test your liver's fortitude.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Chickens suck, btw. I hate all their reportable diseases. Luckily, in the real world, if you are concerned you look it up and no one cares that you had to look it up.

In my experience so far, chickens don't get all those weird infectious things we had to learn about, they just get scaly leg mites, and bumblefoot, and attacked by dogs, and they eat pearl earrings.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Reportable is AI, VVND, and pullorum disease. If you want reportable diseases, look at pigs. :)

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Khelmar posted:

Reportable is AI, VVND, and pullorum disease. If you want reportable diseases, look at pigs. :)

I was on the exotics service for what I lovingly refer to as "The great turkey epidemic of 2010." It was a weekend where we had 5 or 6 turkeys come in over a 24 hour span, all dying to some degree. We eventually decided they must have had heat stroke (it was well over 100 that weekend and the swamp cooler in their barn had broken) but because they were all really sick and many of them in respiratory distress and all the same farm, our differential list had a lot of scary/reportable things on it, like avian influenza and exotic newcastle. The iso ward gets really crowded really fast with birds that big.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Yeah, isolation sucks. Plum Island is amazing, though, and not just because going there freaks out any friends that are conspiracy theorists.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
My cat got a dental yesterday and was ridiculously dysphoric. His last dose of hydro was at 12:45, was recovered by 1:30, he got naloxone at 4, got ace at 5:30 and 8:30, and literally just growled and hissed at everything/nothing and would scream if you tried to restrain him for anything. His catheter site is hella bruised because he wouldn't let us bandage it. He was soaked in urine and it took us 1.5 hours to clean it off him because he kept screaming at us. It wasn't until 11 or midnight before he stopped growling constantly. Today he was better but was still quite wobbly and wouldn't stop meowing ever and has now meowed himself hoarse. Originally, I was all worried about bronchoconstriction during GA due to his asthma but nope, no problems there! Of course if there's a weird anesthetic reaction it has to be to a vet student cat, right?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Braki posted:

My cat got a dental yesterday and was ridiculously dysphoric. His last dose of hydro was at 12:45, was recovered by 1:30, he got naloxone at 4, got ace at 5:30 and 8:30, and literally just growled and hissed at everything/nothing and would scream if you tried to restrain him for anything. His catheter site is hella bruised because he wouldn't let us bandage it. He was soaked in urine and it took us 1.5 hours to clean it off him because he kept screaming at us. It wasn't until 11 or midnight before he stopped growling constantly. Today he was better but was still quite wobbly and wouldn't stop meowing ever and has now meowed himself hoarse. Originally, I was all worried about bronchoconstriction during GA due to his asthma but nope, no problems there! Of course if there's a weird anesthetic reaction it has to be to a vet student cat, right?

Wow, that doesn't sound like any kind of fun. What did he get besides hydro?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
UC Davis people - a coworker got an interview there but they're saying she's required to take physiology to be considered or something like that. They won't accept "anatomy & physiology", just physiology, which her current university doesn't offer. Anyone have a similar problem? She's looking for suggestions or places to take physiology online.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Dr. Chaco posted:

Wow, that doesn't sound like any kind of fun. What did he get besides hydro?

I know his premed included ace. It was probably ace/hydro since that's pretty popular. Induced with ket/val and I assume he was maintained on iso although sometimes they use sevo. He's finally back to normal now although his meow is still croaky. :3:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Shnooks posted:

UC Davis people - a coworker got an interview there but they're saying she's required to take physiology to be considered or something like that. They won't accept "anatomy & physiology", just physiology, which her current university doesn't offer. Anyone have a similar problem? She's looking for suggestions or places to take physiology online.

Yeah that's a true thing. I think she can take it through UCLA online extension or UNE or a few other places. They talk about it on SDN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Braki posted:

I know his premed included ace. It was probably ace/hydro since that's pretty popular. Induced with ket/val and I assume he was maintained on iso although sometimes they use sevo. He's finally back to normal now although his meow is still croaky. :3:

Ket:val seems to be particularly rough on kitties at times in my experience. Maybe he just got really hit hard by the ketamine

• Locked thread