Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I actually find a huge disconnect in BotF between the power levels seen and the mass destruction witnessed and the idea that normal people and normal villages exist at all.

House of Chains, the start of Karsa's story arc is a good description of simple villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wish other characters got Karsa's treatment, especially the Bridgeburners.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

amuayse posted:

I wish other characters got Karsa's treatment, especially the Bridgeburners.

It would be a ten book series all its own.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Dammit Erickson, I know that the Bridgburners are awesome. I want to know HOW they became awesome.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

amuayse posted:

Dammit Erickson, I know that the Bridgburners are awesome. I want to know HOW they became awesome.

I kinda prefer that to remain a mystery, since I would believe a story arc like that would constitute a lot of retconning the main story line.
As well, not all Bridgeburners were awesome, we regularly have the surviving Bridgeburners reminiscing about how many murderers and other nasty people that were a part of the Bridgeburners.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

amuayse posted:

I have the same thoughts on Kellanveds rise from barman to Emperor.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I was under the impression that the Malazan world grew out of setting Erikson and Esselmont put together to play GURPS in? My assumption has always been that most of the groupings of individuals of incredible awesomeness doing amazing things that happened 30-100 years ago were at some point arcs in their campaigns. I mean the story of how Kellenvad built his grand plan to take over the Empire from a bar in Malaz city just screams RPG campaign to me, and the "Old Guard" groupings are full of classic tabletop archetypes.. I'm assuming the exact story lies somewhere in a pile of GM notes.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

One_Wing posted:

I was under the impression that the Malazan world grew out of setting Erikson and Esselmont put together to play GURPS in? My assumption has always been that most of the groupings of individuals of incredible awesomeness doing amazing things that happened 30-100 years ago were at some point arcs in their campaigns. I mean the story of how Kellenvad built his grand plan to take over the Empire from a bar in Malaz city just screams RPG campaign to me, and the "Old Guard" groupings are full of classic tabletop archetypes.. I'm assuming the exact story lies somewhere in a pile of GM notes.

there's some interview out there about how all of Midnight Tides was also a campaign and I.C.E. was rhulad sengar

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

One_Wing posted:

Yes it did, but I had assumed that the story the played out was more or less what we end up reading, and the backstory was basically just that - backstory they had made up for their characters without real thought to the specifics and ins-and-outs. But it could be this, as well - that some of their games WERE the backstory and that most of what we read is an extension of that.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiac posted:

House of Chains, the start of Karsa's story arc is a good description of simple villages.

Yeah, and it made no sense in the context of the world.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Yeah, and it made no sense in the context of the world.

Isn't it highly isolated from the rest of the world?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Eh, GURPS is a clusterfuck as a system but it's a great way to tell a story!

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
In a stunning convergence G'us Malazan manages to harness all of the elder warrens and halt the Red Tide in its tracks

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

amuayse posted:

Eh, GURPS is a clusterfuck as a system but it's a great way to tell a story!

GURPS is less of a clusterfuck than people tend to think, it's just that people use it incorrectly. GURPS lets you create a psychic brain in a jar, a teleporting swordsman or a cave man (or any number of archetypes). They do not necessarily go into the same game. Erikson and Esslemont did a good job of this, where they created a setting and then created characters that fit in that setting (from dinosaurs with swords for arms to insane priests of shadow). GURPS is a great system when you have a setting and you need to explore that setting, it's just that it lacks an implied setting like DnD or many other RPGs.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Habibi posted:

Yes it did, but I had assumed that the story the played out was more or less what we end up reading, and the backstory was basically just that - backstory they had made up for their characters without real thought to the specifics and ins-and-outs. But it could be this, as well - that some of their games WERE the backstory and that most of what we read is an extension of that.

Were I in their position I would have certainly wanted to write an original story in the same world with the events of tabletop sessions as backplot. However, Dalmuti's comment suggests that I'm wrong and some of what we see is just straight from a campaign, and with that in mind there are probably other sections that would fit as one, such as the whole of Book 1 of House of Chains (Karsa, Bairoth and Delum's excellent adventure).

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
see the first answer here: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/03/steven-erikson-answers-your-midnight-tides-questions

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Delum lost a saving throw against Calm's emergence.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
In terms of really sad/heartbreaking parts of the series, what book of the malazan series has had the most?

Deadhouse Gates would be up there, but Reapers Gale for me just had so many sad moments Toc sacrificing himself to save the awl children and Torrent, Onos Toolan arriving just too late to watch his friend die, EVERYTHING involving Beak and his backstory, Onrack arriving in the Tellann warren and coming back to life I mean Jesus, there was a lot of sad poo poo involved.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Chucullinn posted:

In terms of really sad/heartbreaking parts of the series, what book of the malazan series has had the most?

Deadhouse Gates would be up there, but Reapers Gale for me just had so many sad moments Toc sacrificing himself to save the awl children and Torrent, Onos Toolan arriving just too late to watch his friend die, EVERYTHING involving Beak and his backstory, Onrack arriving in the Tellann warren and coming back to life I mean Jesus, there was a lot of sad poo poo involved.

If you say anything other than Beak then you are a heartless bastard

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Chucullinn posted:

Toc sacrificing himself to save the awl children and Torrent, Onos Toolan arriving just too late to watch his friend die

The best part of this is that he chose to sit there and not do anything out of spite for the Awl.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I want to read through this thread, but I'm only six and a half books in, and can't stand missing all the juicy spoiler tidbits. See you folks in a few more months I guess.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Eschatos posted:

I want to read through this thread, but I'm only six and a half books in, and can't stand missing all the juicy spoiler tidbits. See you folks in a few more months I guess.

That's about how far into the series I was when I found the thread, and I did the same thing. See you in a while! :)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Chucullinn posted:

And that's not even all the heartbreaking stuff in that book, there's also Trull getting killed right when you think he's gonna have a reunion with Seren Pedac, Hedge's loneliness and alienation, the Finnest Girl, every other member of the Sengar family coming to a bad end, and there's probably more in that book that I can't remember right now.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Reapers Gale has more incidents, but the ending of Deadhouse Gates hit me harder than all of those incidents combined.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Khizan posted:

Reapers Gale has more incidents, but the ending of Deadhouse Gates hit me harder than all of those incidents combined.

Probably since the ending of Deadhouse is, in a way, such a stupid conclusion to the epic trek through the 7 cities.
First book I read, and I was hooked. GotM wouldn't have done that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I can't remember if this is ever made very clear, but what's up with the Deragoth that appear in House of Chains?

When Paran freed the hounds of shadow from Dragnipur and they went through the gate, did that resurrect of sorts the two Deragoth that Onrack frees later? The whole history seems a bit murky to me...we see a fragment of the past that L'oric happens upon where we see the Deragoth and the Eres cohabiting...the implication seemed to be that the Eres maybe were precursors to the T'Lan Imass or humans? Not sure if they were just a different species that died out or if they evolved. Then Dessimbelackis, who is...I don't know who, a random human with a ton of power apparently and he created the soletaken and d'ivers among the humans and all by "partnering" with the Deragoth so that they're his d'ivers form. But...then why were two of them trapped in stone statues in a lost warren that seemed to be more a fragment of the past? That's why I wondered if the hounds of shadow had a hand in it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You mean those magical Cro-Magnons that hang out with the dogs and fights dinos? Considering that time travel exists in Malazan to a certain degree, I wonder why it isn't incorporated into some elaborate scheme.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

I can't remember if this is ever made very clear, but what's up with the Deragoth that appear in House of Chains?

. Then Dessimbelackis, who is...I don't know who, a random human with a ton of power apparently

It's the middle of the night and I'm sitting here half asleep with my infant daughter, so I'm not going you address the whole post yet, but regarding this - that random human was the emperor of the purported first human empire.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I meant more just that I figure that means he's a "normal" human and not ascendant from another plane of existence or whatever

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

You mean those magical Cro-Magnons that hang out with the dogs and fights dinos? Considering that time travel exists in Malazan to a certain degree, I wonder why it isn't incorporated into some elaborate scheme.

Time travel exists?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well time doesn't always seem to be linear in Malazan, like a the T'lan Imass shaman being present for Silverfox's birth and Osseric hiding inside a warren that's essenntially a time warp back to Paleolithic times.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Yeah I meant more just that I figure that means he's a "normal" human and not ascendant from another plane of existence or whatever

Originally, this could describe every single current major ascendant who isn't an Azathanai (including those from other 'planes').

Levitate posted:

When Paran freed the hounds of shadow from Dragnipur and they went through the gate, did that resurrect of sorts the two Deragoth that Onrack frees later? The whole history seems a bit murky to me...we see a fragment of the past that L'oric happens upon where we see the Deragoth and the Eres cohabiting...the implication seemed to be that the Eres maybe were precursors to the T'Lan Imass or humans? Not sure if they were just a different species that died out or if they evolved. Then Dessimbelackis, who is...I don't know who, a random human with a ton of power apparently and he created the soletaken and d'ivers among the humans and all by "partnering" with the Deragoth so that they're his d'ivers form. But...then why were two of them trapped in stone statues in a lost warren that seemed to be more a fragment of the past? That's why I wondered if the hounds of shadow had a hand in it.

Have you read FoD yet? Because there is a very strong implication that the Hounds (of all affiliations) are not 'mythic' or mystical beasts, but rather the Soletaken forerunners of the Jheck (although IIRC they describe it as a more...innate method of transformation), trained in the case of Shadow by Tulas Shorn, and presumably for the Light and Dark by other entities. In this sense, it doesn't seem like there should be any link between Hounds of Shadow being freed from Dragnipur and Hounds of Darkness returning, or any link at all, really. The two Hounds of Shadow returning 'home' in GotM sounds very significant when coupled with the two Deragoth being freed, since it looks like: Hounds of Shadow->return to Darkness->corresponding number of Hounds of Darkness appear, but we learn in FoD that Kurald Galain was simply literally their home, long before it became the realm of Darkness or got saddled with its Gate. So I think the Deragoth Onrack frees were simply trapped in those statues for some reason (one which I don't recall being explained - at least not yet), and there is no actual connection.

As far as Dessimbelackis, I don't recall the Deragoth having anything to do with his creation of the Soletaken/D'Ivers ritual, which was apparently intended as a desperation measure to teach his empire how to not be all-nature-consuming assholes. The Deragoth were just whom he used for his D'Ivers form.

And yes, I think the Eres are supposed to be the precursors of the Imass. It basically sets up an Eres (Australopithecus) -> Imass (Neanderthal) -> Human chain. The whole Deragoth thing with the Eres isn't very well explained. We know from L'oric and FoD that they co-existed, and knowing the Deragoth aren't just massive dogs but a type of Soletaken, of sorts, casts an interesting dynamic - but someone (maybe L'Oric, maybe Bottle?) gets a vision that suggests to them that the Deragoth actually 'domesticated' the Eres, which hasn't been really delved into since.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Well time doesn't always seem to be linear in Malazan
Y-yes, the most obvious examples being the way time flows differently in Warrens/the Azath, but that's not really 'time travel.'

quote:

like a the T'lan Imass shaman being present for Silverfox's birth
That happened within like a mental warren in Kruppe's head or something, and was a spiritual occurrence, not one that happened in reality.

quote:

Osseric hiding inside a warren that's essenntially a time warp back to Paleolithic times.
Huh?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's in House of Chains when L'Oric went to look for his Dad inside a warren there were a bunch of those Eres and Deragoth hunting together and there were even some KCCM that were still living too.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Habibi posted:

Originally, this could describe every single current major ascendant who isn't an Azathanai (including those from other 'planes').

Eh I sometimes forget there's a difference between ascendants and gods as well

quote:

Have you read FoD yet?

no, but thanks. Kinda clears some stuff up

quote:

but someone (maybe L'Oric, maybe Bottle?) gets a vision that suggests to them that the Deragoth actually 'domesticated' the Eres, which hasn't been really delved into since.

In House of Chains, L'Oric somehow opens a portal to a fragment of a warren or something that's basically a memory of how Raraku was ages and ages ago when the Deragoth were the ones in charge in the area, more or less. He sees the Eres running with the Deragoth and acting as kind of subservient partners or something, and I think ponders whether the Deragoth helped the evolution of the Eres. As a side note, it's also apparently why the K'Chain Che'malle never got a foothold on that continent...the Deragoth kept killing them off

e: L'Oric didn't go back in time, it was just a weird splinter warren, might have one of the fragmented parts of the Shadow warren who's name I can't remember exactly, and it was just basically kind of a memory, not real time travel. Also, Tellan seems to do some weird poo poo with time as well but maybe that's more of the ritual of Tellan the I'Mass did, but it still doesn't seem to exist as a real time travel machine or anything since those things aren't part of the linear time-line, more like alternate dimensions of sorts. At least that's how I think of it.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 6, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

It's in House of Chains when L'Oric went to look for his Dad inside a warren there were a bunch of those Eres and Deragoth hunting together and there were even some KCCM that were still living too.

Wasn't that a fragment or memory of a warren, not an actual warren leading back in time?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Eh I sometimes forget there's a difference between ascendants and gods as well

no, but thanks. Kinda clears some stuff up
You should read it. Not only is it really good, but boy does it turn a lot of assumptions on their heads (like the Hounds). It also goes a long way toward showing how thin the line between ascendant and god can be.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh. Well poo poo, I don't know. Is traveling to a dimension something that is an exact recreation of a place in the past time travel? Does time even work linearly in Malazan? :psyduck:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

Oh. Well poo poo, I don't know. Is traveling to a dimension something that is an exact recreation of a place in the past time travel?

If doesn't connect to that actual past - that is, what you do doesn't actually affect the past - why would it be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
To gain knowledge I guess? Dogs domesticating humans and such.